The Flash The Flash season 2 episode 19 "Back to Normal"

8/10
I liked this episode, especially wells at the end of it concluding he needs to create another explosion, which is funny considering he was blamed the entire episode about the first one, and also extremely brilliant if you think about season 1. in Season 1 thawne when he kills wells tells him that he created a particle accelerator explosion and that he needs it to happen sooner. What if the explosion he is talking about is the one that happens next, and the story goes full circle? That'd be awesome. The thing with killer frost was filler, since he might as well have killed her a few episodes back. And why is the first instinct with any villain to kill him outright? They did not put any effort in trying to cure him, give him a blood test or a scan at least before throwing in the towel...

I thought it was a pretty decent episode actually. Griffin Gray's health problem was quite sad, and I liked watching Caitlin meet Killer Frost.

I still feel like Zoom's ruined now that we know Jay is behind the mask.

I wish zoom was a demon instead of him being jay

I finally found Panabaker convincing as "evil" Caitlyn... and she was promptly killed, lol.

Anyway... I'm sticking with this show but Zoom isn't half as compelling a villain as Wells/Thawne/Reverse Flash. It might just be the actor. Sears doesn't really come off like a psycho; he just seems more like some jerk who would have picked on Barry in high school.

Man they REALLY cannot find ANY kind of interesting stuff to do with Caitlin outside of the men in her life can they? Seriously, no it's "the villain kidnaps her because he's in love with her" is it?

They can't think of anything good to do with Iris either. Even when the Starlabs crew has shrunk because Caitlin's missing all Iris can do is stand around.

Yeah, the women on the show are all basically there because of issues with the dudes on the show. Granted the show is more about them, but hey.

They really didn't have to have Iris around in this episode at all. Barry calls her for some help, they appear at the scene of the crash where Barry takes a finger print then they leave. Her having done nothing of significance. Can Barry not drive? Did he need a lift?

Other than that it was a fairly decent filler episode. Barry going up against Metas without his speed was nice, The scenes in Zoom's lair were all pretty good. Don't really enjoy the whole "I captured you because I love you" thing.

Wally not insta-figuring out Barry is The Flash is stupid. Not many characters that care about Joe on the show, one of them was with him...

Particle Accelerator for the re-power up wasn't really something I'd thought of, but it makes sense. Presumably it won't be contained and we will get more Metas.

They can't think of anything good to do with Iris either. Even when the Starlabs crew has shrunk because Caitlin's missing all Iris can do is stand around.

Yeah, it's kind of ridiculous. It's like Iris is a reporter who never seems to do any actual reporting. All we've really seen of her reporter life is:

1. When her coworker sort of became her romantic rival
2. When she DIDN'T want to write an article, which led to:
3. Her boss trying to date her.

Way to really empower women there, Berlanti.

What a boring yawnfest this was, just like every other filler ep ever written since the days of Smallville. Seeing as so much of Arrow, Flash and Legends episodes are just rehashed themes from Smallville. I swear the writers just go through the Smallville scripts and re-write them but just with the new characters instead.

Death to filler episodes!!

Cannot writers carry out a main theme and plot for a whole season? Game of thrones pretty much does that.

This episode was just alright. I made an account just to ask this question because what's happening now isn't really making sense to me. In episode 217 "Flashback" where Barry goes back to get the speed formula from Eobard Thawne. This also changes the timeline because he comes back and Hartley kills the time wraith and is a good guy. Where is Hartley in 218 and 219? And most importantly: if Barry has the speed formula that Eobard gave him when he traveled back in time, why doesn't Barry use that to gain back his speed?

Sorry if these have all been answered already as I've never been on the forum before.

One thing I did not mention earlier; I think it's nice that we see more victims of the particle accelerator on Earth-1.

They really didn't have to have Iris around in this episode at all. Barry calls her for some help, they appear at the scene of the crash where Barry takes a finger print then they leave. Her having done nothing of significance. Can Barry not drive? Did he need a lift?
yes that's the case when was the last time you saw him with a car of his own in this show? it was always Joe driving and he's show up on the scene in a paddy waggon . if he's not using his powers . that's how weird this show is beside him being the only city stations csi. when there should an entire unite for that. but yet it's just him.

This episode was much better than I expected. It was more about character tension than an action-drama mix, and sometimes that's a recipe for disaster. However, this eppy hit the right notes.

From the Wally catharsis arc to the Wells family drama to the Caitlin-Hunter friction, there are many interesting developments right now. My favorite part of BtN was the interaction between Caitlin and Killer Frost. It was very interesting to hear that a couple of decisions on the cusp of adulthood made the two versions of Caitlin diverge into opposites.

The only point lost for the show is Frost's apparent death. It's way too early to nix all of the possibilities for that character.

This episode was much better than I expected. It was more about character tension than an action-drama mix, and sometimes that's a recipe for disaster. However, this eppy hit the right notes.

From the Wally catharsis arc to the Wells family drama to the Caitlin-Hunter friction, there are many interesting developments right now. My favorite part of BtN was the interaction between Caitlin and Killer Frost. It was very interesting to hear that a couple of decisions on the cusp of adulthood made the two versions of Caitlin diverge into opposites.

The only point lost for the show is Frost's apparent death. It's way too early to nix all of the possibilities for that character.

Well Caitlin meeting with frost was to set up that she her self has a sibling she doesn't know about.

while killer frost got to know her brother compared to caitlin look like the latter mother has some explaining to do for being cold to her daughter with out explaining "why".

So no one from "Team Flash" ever thought that rather than risking Barry's life against this week's Meta-Human, they could have just had someone (Joe) take the high ground somewhere and use a simple tranquilizer gun on the dude when he was distracted? You're telling me that they couldn't do that as opposed to letting the guy (a teenager) age himself out and die that way?

So no one from "Team Flash" ever thought that rather than risking Barry's life against this week's Meta-Human, they could have just had someone (Joe) take the high ground somewhere and use a simple tranquilizer gun on the dude when he was distracted? You're telling me that they couldn't do that as opposed to letting the guy (a teenager) age himself out and die that way?
it's likely cause tranquilizers didn't work on Zoom when they ried that idea and they are spooked now.

Kinda like when trajectory scared the hell out of them when she took Jessie hostage with her paranoia of them spiking the serum and was making them show her how they made it and then she injected Jessie to make absolutely sure they didn't poison the serum . which is why they didn't try to drug zoom.

the best approach with the latter mentioned was the device earth 2 Dr,wells used to steal speed from Barry which was hidden in the flash suit befor iris's accident during wally's last street/ career, before earth2 dr.wells confessed that zoom made him do so to save Jessie before they went to earth 2 the first time around .

I liked the idea of the episode with Barry trying to deal with normal-ness but they never really went anywhere with that past the first few minutes, so much so, Barry still had all his work done on time for his crime-fighting escapades.

I thought the Killer Frost-Caitlin Snow angle was the best bit in this episode. Other than that, a bit meh.

If Killer Frost found a way to escape by herself, it would've been fun for her to lock Caitlin up and disguise her as Killer Frost. Don't know where she would've gotten the blonde wig and frosty lipstick though.

What a boring yawnfest this was, just like every other filler ep ever written since the days of Smallville. Seeing as so much of Arrow, Flash and Legends episodes are just rehashed themes from Smallville. I swear the writers just go through the Smallville scripts and re-write them but just with the new characters instead.

Death to filler episodes!!

Cannot writers carry out a main theme and plot for a whole season? Game of thrones pretty much does that.

GOT has only ten episodes per season. The Flash has over 20. It 's really difficult to sustain a theme and main plot over so many episodes, and these writers haven't proven themselves proficient at maintaining continuity, either. The CW should just shorten the seasons of their shows.

Caitlin's scenes were great. Good to see Killer Frost again. I think the writers are planning more for her story arc now that we finally have some back story from KF's origin.

Zoom phased through Caitlin's body, that was some epic dopeness. Teddy just got really interesting.

Seeing Barry without his powers is boring, I thought they were going to come up with a way to solve the problem, instead they referred to Arrow in the midst and it was only a temporary fix. Curious to see how The Flash Paradox tribute for the next episode is gonna play out. That cartoon is crazy sick.

Barry and Iris...brother and sister...rushed...that's about it.

Excited for the next episode!

Barry dealing with this meta without his powers is the same as him dealing with them with his speed; he gets his ass kicked the first time around, then comes up with a way to beat them thanks to his team the second time. :o

This episode wasn't my favourite.

Firstly, no-one seemed to have any compassion for Griffin. Unless I missed it, his only criminal act was kidnapping Wells because he wanted Wells to develop a cure for his rapid aging. At no point did anyone suggest explaining to Griffin that if he stopped using his super-strength then he would at least stop aging at an accelerated rate which would potentially given them time to develop a cure or at least help him deal with aging over 20 years in just 2 years. I was really disturbed by their plan to force Griffin to exert himself until he died from old age. I really wish they'd shown the team trying (and failing) to negotiate with Griffin.

Secondly, the team were stupidly ineffective against Griffin. Isn't there now a meta-human taskforce which could have helped them? And what happened to all of the technology they have developed over the years to deal with other threats like "the boot", various tranquiliser darts, etc. Or what about asking the Pied Piper for help? If he's willing to help them out with Time Wraiths (or whatever the Flash dementor was called), wouldn't he be willing to help in this instance? Or trying to track down Dr Light? Even something like Captain Cold's gun, which was built (and re-built) by Cisco, would be helpful. Not to mention Cisco's powers which no-one seems interested in mentioning or exploring unless the script demands it.

Thirdly, I can't recall the most recent development, but I thought that Caitlin had "perfected" Velocity 9 for Jay? Sure, it drove whatsherface crazy when she became addicted, but couldn't Barry use it on a once-off basis? At the very least that option could have been raised and dismissed for some reason (e.g. only Caitlin knew the formula and she was MIA).

I did like the scenes between Killer Frost and Caitlin, although I'm annoyed that they so willingly killed off all of the "cool" Earth 2 evil counterparts for Ronnie, Cisco and Caitlin. Also, didn't Barry tell Caitlin about the man in the iron mask? Couldn't Caitlin have used the code to communicate with him? If he's imprisoned by Zoom, surely Caitlin would realise that he holds valuable information (apart from confirming his identity)?

Firstly, no-one seemed to have any compassion for Griffin. Unless I missed it, his only criminal act was kidnapping Wells because he wanted Wells to develop a cure for his rapid aging. At no point did anyone suggest explaining to Griffin that if he stopped using his super-strength then he would at least stop aging at an accelerated rate which would potentially given them time to develop a cure or at least help him deal with aging over 20 years in just 2 years. I was really disturbed by their plan to force Griffin to exert himself until he died from old age. I really wish they'd shown the team trying (and failing) to negotiate with Griffin.

Agreed

Secondly, the team were stupidly ineffective against Griffin. Isn't there now a meta-human taskforce which could have helped them? And what happened to all of the technology they have developed over the years to deal with other threats like "the boot", various tranquiliser darts, etc. Or what about asking the Pied Piper for help? If he's willing to help them out with Time Wraiths (or whatever the Flash dementor was called), wouldn't he be willing to help in this instance? Or trying to track down Dr Light? Even something like Captain Cold's gun, which was built (and re-built) by Cisco, would be helpful. Not to mention Cisco's powers which no-one seems interested in mentioning or exploring unless the script demands it.

what meta human task force ? what task consist of two people?
Sadly that plot died with Patty leaving town and her romance with barry end and Joe wasn't really actively looking for more people. it's the same as having Joe talk and brag about iron heights at the start of the season. but it wasn't activly used til geomancer came about. king shark should have been there and first prisoner.

but apparently nope Argus got him after patty made her collar after earth 2 dr.well's saved barry with his freeze gun. patty said she caught him nd sent him the the met wing in iron heights , but after wards when next we see him after patty told barry and Cisco at the coffee shop she made her first meta human arrest. Cisco weirdly says he thought king shark was dead which made no sense when he came to Barry's house and the diggles and Argus were his tale. cause what patty sated prior.

it was just plot among alot they put into the show and dropped it. it's the supposed security system gag in arrow that we never see work

Thirdly, I can't recall the most recent development, but I thought that Caitlin had "perfected" Velocity 9 for Jay? Sure, it drove whatsherface crazy when she became addicted, but couldn't Barry use it on a once-off basis? At the very least that option could have been raised and dismissed for some reason (e.g. only Caitlin knew the formula and she was MIA).

she's been flipflopping on the whole cure thing. the same episode where they caught geomancer and closed the breach's she said his cell were restoring and he got pull into the breach by his partner Zoom. and then she said to barry that velocity 9 along with 6 were still killing Jay to barry and she told zoom not to kill barry cause it would if he ever care for her he's loose her due to barrys death.

but that was the supposed time Remanent that was posing as jay from the jump and died after she cured him . even though she told Barry that Velocity serum 9 was still killing Jay contradicting what she told him that it was curing him.

Point is if your are really paying attention to every time caitlin explained something where "Jay and zoom" are involved from the point of when the breach's were closed to current events, she's beeen flipflopping and contradicting her self where the cure is involved and the writers have been making it seem she doesn't know what she saying any more.

Last edited:
Well, there will be consequences obviously.

The same way there were consequences when Barry disrupted the timeline yet again back in episode 17? :whatever:

Yeah, it's kind of ridiculous. It's like Iris is a reporter who never seems to do any actual reporting. All we've really seen of her reporter life is:

1. When her coworker sort of became her romantic rival
2. When she DIDN'T want to write an article, which led to:
3. Her boss trying to date her.

Way to really empower women there, Berlanti.

Oh, but hey, at least Killer Frost was bewildered about how Caitlin wasn't using "the girls" to their full advantage. :doh:

His plan from the very beginning was "Fix me or I kill you". Wells couldn't fix him. I don't know. I don't have any compassion for him, I'm not sure why the characters should. They walked the line too much between "should be sympathetic" but also "revenge filled violent sociopath". First thing he does on screen is a potentially fatal way of kidnapping wells. Then threats of murder. As far as we know, he's made no rational ways of trying to find a cure, instead of talking to someone he just starts hurting them.

Nope. Not deserving of my sympathy.

Secondly, the team were stupidly ineffective against Griffin. Isn't there now a meta-human taskforce which could have helped them? And what happened to all of the technology they have developed over the years to deal with other threats like "the boot", various tranquiliser darts, etc.

They had those fancy lazer/stun cannons that Harrison has been using.
Cisco can usually build something to counteract a meta, given time. But it seemed like the whole plot of finding harrison, learning what the meta could do and getting him happened in the span of a couple hours.

Or what about asking the Pied Piper for help? If he's willing to help them out with Time Wraiths (or whatever the Flash dementor was called), wouldn't he be willing to help in this instance? Or trying to track down Dr Light? Even something like Captain Cold's gun, which was built (and re-built) by Cisco, would be helpful.

We don't know if Pied Piper is even in town. Or what his deal is. Asking or expecting other characters who aren't connected to try and get to town in a potentially time sensitive situation is insane. Sure, Barry could have called Oliver, or Vixen, or something. But we already saw that in the time they took, the kid was going to kill Wells. They barely got there in time.

I seem to remember the cold gun being destroyed after it was used against Barry.

Not to mention Cisco's powers which no-one seems interested in mentioning or exploring unless the script demands it.

Cisco is terrified of learning how to use his powers. We already saw a good amount of character motivation there. He's not going to all of a sudden be able to vibrate the dude to the ground or something.

Caitlin thought she perfected V9. But "Jay" and then later Zoom confirmed that it was just a temporary fix. It was still killing his cells. Which is probably why it made the other girl insane. If it was going to (most likely) lead to Barry's death or both death and insanity, they wouldn't resort to that option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"