The Flash The Flash Season 3 episode 17 "Duet"

I was really into the 1st half but it kinda fell apart at the end, imo. Still not a bad effort, though. Musical episodes are extremely tricky to pull off, needing to walk the fine line between self-awareness and embracing the inherent cheese, and for the most part, I think they did a respectable job.

This kind of show, you embrace the cheese. This shouldn't have been Barry/Kara stuck in each others head pining after the people they just broke up with. It should've been a fun light episode where they have everyone dress as their "classic" comic counterparts, sing some fun songs as if they were high on some shrooms.

The only thing missing was the AT&T singer screaming, " I don't want to miss a thing!" Horrid...

i really enjoyed this episode

Same here, especially the interaction between Kara and Barry. Their timing and chemistry are spot-on. And when they first noticed each other in the dream world, it made me really wish they were a couple! Again!

Horrid. Complete waste of an episode. Might be the worst one ever.

JUMP THE SHARK
a lot closer to TV garbage than an actual fun hour :-(

This was a really fun episode and I really got into it.

This was a very good example of how not to do a musical. Almost all of the songs were ancillary to the main plot and almost all of the character dialogue and exposition happened in dialogue. The advantage of doing a musical is that you get to use music to lift and expand on the character development and to make exposition fun. Instead this episode felt slow and somewhat random, with songs dropped willy-nilly and out-of-place action sequences.

I expected more.

(Also the Music Meister felt like such a missed opportunity both in costume and plot involvement. As it was, his character seems poorly developed and overly cheesy with the whole lessons thing. Last, although I normally love art deco, after the extremely dark aesthetic of the recent Flash episodes, a brighter aesthetic would have made the musical feel more like it's own thing.))

Last edited:
JUMP THE SHARK
a lot closer to TV garbage than an actual fun hour :-(

This was a really fun episode and I really got into it.

I think the problem with this episode is they basically pandered to one segment of the audience while doing something that would turn off a different segment. I am on the side this was a waste. Thankfully I didn't watch it live so I could fast forward through alot of the singing

I really liked it. It was certainly better than the past couple episodes this season.

This is definitely one that you're either gonna like or not like. The weakest song was the Barry and Kara duet , but other than that, everything else was pretty good. Its a filler to be sure , but its already become one of my favorite episodes of both shows.

I'm gonna downland a couple of the songs .

I actually liked the fact that they had Barry even mention Superman in his last song with Kara.

Loved it. I had a smile on my face the whole time. Partly because I was having fun, partly because the actors were having so much fun,
and partly thinking about all the teenage boys gnashing their teeth in anger over what was going on with their Flash.

Was it ever explained why J'onn didn't use his telepathy to help? Why was Alex not more involved?

I actually liked the fact that they had Barry even mention Superman in his last song with Kara.

But he dissed him -- a man he's never met. It was stupid and unnecessary.

Well, this episode was....different. There was plenty of positive aspects like the noir costumes, Kara's hilarious facial expressions when she was making Wizard of Oz references, and the Martian Manhunter/Vibe/Kid Flash team-up.

On the flip side, there were "Give me a pair of screwdrivers, so I can jam them in my ears" moments. Kara's first song didn't seem out of place, and I would have been fine with that as a showcase for Melissa's abilities, but the musical numbers after that were nightmarish. Just as I'm starting to recover from the trauma of the Lego Batman song, I was subjected to "I'm Your Super Friend." The HORROR.

Never do this again. Please, never do this again. :barf::barf::barf:

While I'm not a fan of Glee, I've learned several things about Darren Criss with among them being that he's Filipino. He co-owns StarKids Productions.

ok so im not big on musical tv, but i was pretty entertained with the ep. and i really liked the Super Friend song ok? laying on the pun and cheese by using a beloved childhood cartoon in the song so gimme gimme gimme :funny:

i liked that we got a lot of our faves to sing. and Grant tap danced :up: i wish we got to see HR sing too because Tom has an amazing voice.

ok yeah the plot is pretty one dimensional but they keep saying that because its a musical. i did like how they managed to resolve some of the shows subplots and fitted it into the musical aspect of this at the same time. couldntve been easy.

if theres one complaint i have is that Music Meister was severely underutilized. yeah i know you can only fit so much singing in a one hour show, but i was looking forward to watching Darren Criss and i feel like i've been short changed :O

oh and finally, the Manhunter/Vibe/Kid Flash tag team-- LOVE IT! :up::up:

But he dissed him -- a man he's never met. It was stupid and unnecessary.

In regards to the Superman mention, I didn't think of it really as him dissing the character but just making a fun joke. Plus, it's just nice to hear Grant's Barry just talk about Superman in any way.

In regards to the Superman mention, I didn't think of it really as him dissing the character but just making a fun joke. Plus, it's just nice to hear Grant's Barry just talk about Superman in any way.

It was a joke that put him down when he'd never even met the guy. It's also a shame, because Grant is a huge Superman fan. If they could include a Superman mention, it should make sense and it didn't have to be a dig at him. That's what would have been nice.

I know the Superman dig didn't make sense in the context of the show, but as a comic fan I appreciated it, but mostly because comic Barry's got to be annoyed by Superman always trying to upstage him with those stupid races in the past. It's one thing when it's charity, it's another when it's a contrived villain plot, watching Wally beat Superman legit was satisfying.

I liked the music numbers except Put Little Love In Your Heart. Never liked that song, or anything by Jackie DeShannon. Loved Moon River and the Guys and Dolls tune. Liked Super Friends in that amateur Fred and Ginger way. Running Home To You has got to be the best proposal ever.

Also it's nice to see Barry tap dance. He does it in the Flash of Two Worlds Comic if I recall before playing tennis with himself and then doing a rope trick before accidentally vibing into Earth-2.

Basically I love musicals when they're not Oscar Bait bs for none Broadway actors to show off their lack of talent. I love A Very Potter Musical. I love classic gangsters, the 40's night club and backstage and superheroes so this show had it covered for me.

Last edited:
I liked Kara's song at the beginning, and the Superfriends song, and Barry's comment about liking Musicals to Milly's "Dads". Other than that it just seemed rushed and spotty.

As it was a musical the way out of it should've been through song, should've had Mon-El and Iris get into the dreamworld earlier and ended with a quartet song between all of them. Didn't really like Barry singing to Iris at the end in the real world, I mean I get it, but that for me kind of broke the show.

I think the problem with this episode is they basically pandered to one segment of the audience while doing something that would turn off a different segment.

An interesting point. At the risk of generalizing and stereotyping :-)word:), we might assume that the Supergirl audience skews younger and more female than The Flash. Therefore (more stereotyping :word:), Supergirl would be the more natural venue for a musical special. But TBTB decided that The Flash (and its demographics) was the better option… :thf:

An interesting point. At the risk of generalizing and stereotyping :-)word:), we might assume that the Supergirl audience skews younger and more female than The Flash. Therefore (more stereotyping :word:), Supergirl would be the more natural venue for a musical special. But TBTB decided that The Flash (and its demographics) was the better option… :thf:

My basic point wasn't trying to say Supergirl and Flash have different audiences, more then you have different types of audiences watching both shows and some segment of that audience will probably like it and some won't.

While I am guessing the ratings for this episode will see a slight spike due to the promotion it got(and maybe bringing in the odd glee fan who doesn't really watch either show), this is the type of episode that will start getting a certain core segment of the fanbase to tune the show off.

Personally I have to be honest here but I find that Flash has lost alot of what I enjoyed the first season. it's to the point of all the CW superhero shows I actually think I like Legends of Tomorrow the best because at least that show keep itself rather basic and the drama or gimmicks of the other show.

Speaking of "drama" I should probably add the whole Barry and Iris(Kara and Mon-EL) getting back together at the end of this episode annoyed me to no end because it's like that's why the forced the relationship drama in the first place(which was something that bothered me the past few episodes)

I loved the episode. All of it.

The cheesiness. The singing (wow everyone but I particularly loved Jeremy and Grant), the music, the dancing, the in-jokes, the stupid set-up, how the other characters were used in the alternate reality, the clothing, the love stories (I'm a big fan of both relationships and also of Tillie right now, so it was a blast)...

Also loved that John Barrowman's son is called Tommy? Well played, CW (I still miss Colin Donnel).

But what I loved most was the relationship between Kara and Grant. We have only seen them together in a few episodes and live universes apart but they come across as BFFs and is wonderful to watch.

I cannot stop singing "Superfriends" in my head.

It was a cute episode. I enjoyed it. :)

Melissa has a gorgeous signing voice and Grant was charming as usual.

Always a pleasure seeing these two together on screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"