The General Comic Discussion Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok. Point well taken re: Black Mirror. I love that story. But as a whole, Snyder’s work tends to be too reliant on shock value and unnecessarily overblown “epic event” storytelling. It’s like he thinks he is a modern day Marv Wolfman, but he’s not in the same league. Snyder also is over reliant on original characters. That works sometimes but for every Court of Owls or Jim Gordon Jr, he has a Harper Row. And I am fatigued of Batman Who Laughs already.

Yeah, snyder focuses too much on original characters.
I do like adding here and there some new ones but he goes overboard with it and the lengthy focus on them.

Batman Who Laughs imo works only as event character, thats why its not working for me over a long time.
I dont see where he wants to go with the whole story.

I have enjoyed the issues of All-Star Batman that I have read, but they are two steps below Snyder's run from Court Of Owls-Endgame in terms of quality, depth and subtle details, IMO. Even Superheavy trumps over it in that regard too, IMO. It seems to me that he has ran out of ideas and perhaps needs a break. Would anyone here say Metal, Batman Who Laughs, Justice League and Last Knight on Earth are of the same quality as the best of his Batman run (from Court Of Owls-Endgame), or are they in the same ballpark as All-Star Batman?

Based on what I have read of All-Star Batman, Snyder post Superheavy actually somewhat reminds me of Dan Slott post Superior Spider-Man. I hope I am wrong and that Metal, Batman Who Laughs, Justice League and Last Knight On Earth are a big jump up.

Am I the only one who dislikes almost all of Snyder and Capullo's work? His reliance on Batman taking center stage of everything is getting old, even for a batman fan like me. Like, the whole concept of the Dark Multiverse is cool as hell, but the way he executed the Metal story with the over-emphasis on all things Batman even though the story is written as a universe ending event just seems forced as hell. It just feels like the entire event was made to justify the Batman Who Laugh's introduction to mainstream DC-verse. Nothing against Capullo art in itself, but his art has been pretty much ingrained in me to be link to Snyder's writing that it just rubs me the wrong way whenever I see it.

I have enjoyed the issues of All-Star Batman that I have read, but they are two steps below Snyder's run from Court Of Owls-Endgame in terms of quality, depth and subtle details, IMO. Even Superheavy trumps over it in that regard too, IMO. It seems to me that he has ran out of ideas and perhaps needs a break. Would anyone here say Metal, Batman Who Laughs, Justice League and Last Knight on Earth are of the same quality as the best of his Batman run (from Court Of Owls-Endgame), or are they in the same ballpark as All-Star Batman?

I definitly think Metal, Batman who Laughs are not really strong...they are too overblown with details and stuff...especially metal.
I still havent gotten a full hang of the dark multiverse thing and its not interestingly enough told for me to go back right now.

Justice league i like so far to be honest because he works on a few different characters there and that helps the tone and pacing.
Last Knight on earth is really slow so far and i dont know what to make of that story.

A break would definitly good for the man i think.
He works on so much stuff, it takes its toll.

Frank Miller previews his next epic Batman comic, 'The Dark Knight Returns: The Golden Child'

dark-knight-returns-golden-child_1.jpg

I have been reading The Dark Phoenix Saga recently and it has been ok, but nothing special IMO.

What do posters here think about the ending of The Killing Joke? Do you think Batman killed Joker? I posted this in another thread but may as well post it here too, as the upcoming Joker movie has me in the mood to discuss the character and his stories. Here are my thoughts on The Killing Jokes ending:

IMO, it could be interpreted that Batman laughing at Jokers joke at the end could be interpreted as him snapping and going crazy. The way the police lights are turned off and we are left looking at the dark puddle at the end may have supposed to symbolize Batman being consumed by the darkness and finally killing Joker. It should also be noted that in this particular story, Joker chose Gordon as his white knight that had to be made an example of and not Batman, which perhaps suggests that Joker and maybe even Alan Moore himself views Gordon as the better person and as incorruptible, whereas Batman is corruptible so putting him in Gordon's position would not get the point across as clearly if the plan succeeded. Also, the story was originally set in an alternate universe and only became canon afterwards due to its popularity.

Some interpretations of Jokers joke that I like are that it shows how Joker believes they will never trust each other which I believe he tells us when the character in the joke representing him says to the character representing Batman in the joke "You'd turn it off when I was half-way across", referring to the light beam that Batmans representative thinks Jokers representative can walk across.

IMO, this also reveals that Joker thinks Batman is also crazy due to the person in the joke representing Batman believing someone can walk across a beam from a torch, and also, how Joker views Batman as similar to him "two guys in a lunatic asylum", which would possible mean that Joker thinks that Batman is ill-suited to rehabilitate him.

I believe that the joke reveals a significant difference Joker thinks there is between the two and that it is that Batman can blend in with society when he wants to, hence the person representing him in the joke finding it easy to jump from one roof to the other so he can escape into the town, but Joker, due to him being disfigured and permanently looking like a clown, is not able to do that, hence the person represrenting him in the joke has trouble doing the same.

I am not saying I 100% believe that Batman killed the Joker in the story, but things like this, as subtle as they may be, make me believe that it is a possibility. Grant Morrison, who IMO is a great writer and an extremely clever person also believes that Batman killed the Joker in the story.

All the expected stories are there, the ranking...im not a fan of most of them.
I just never really could get behind Frank Millers Batman, not the art or the writing...i dont find it as strong as people make it out to be.
But thats just me.

I personally dont have a ranking what my top 10 is or so, it comes down to my mood and so on.

I have never thought too much about the ending of Killing Joke...i always saw it as this typical fade to black ending of a story with Batman and Joker finding some messed up common ground after a rollercoaster of a hunt.
But its interesting how people interpret those last few panels and draw conclussions...it makes you think about it and gives you something to question on your own.

I’m not a fan of these choices. But I was happy to see Son of the Demon on the list. I would lump the Demon trilogy (Birth Bride and Son) together and place them in my top 3 if not at #1. I also liked seeing love for Tower of Babel which is great.

I would like to add Tynion to my list of writers who I think write Jokers the best. I loved The Joker Best Friend story in the annual from 2014/2015.

Tynion is on the short list of my favorite writers period. Absolutely love his work.

I would love to see a 50 issue (or more) Nightwing run, that is of the quality and as great a character study as Scott Snyder's Batman, Grant Morrison's Batman and Christopher Priests Deathstroke. I would love to see his relationship be defined in the modern day with Batman, Deathstroke, the Teen Titans, the Bat-family and some of his villains from the past by someone who has the quality and love of the character like the aforementioned writers. I would really love to see him be given a modern-day rivalry with Slade and for Slade to feature in a similar manner to how Joker featured in Scott Snyder's Batman run.

I love that the newest Nightwing issues have recognized Talon as Dick’s most dangerous villain. I don’t hate “the Nightwings” and am still interested to see it all play out.

Glad to see that Miller still doesn’t know how to draw hands.

That and the weird body proportions.XD

I would love to see a 50 issue (or more) Nightwing run, that is of the quality and as great a character study as Scott Snyder's Batman, Grant Morrison's Batman and Christopher Priests Deathstroke. I would love to see his relationship be defined in the modern day with Batman, Deathstroke, the Teen Titans, the Bat-family and some of his villains from the past by someone who has the quality and love of the character like the aforementioned writers. I would really love to see him be given a modern-day rivalry with Slade and for Slade to feature in a similar manner to how Joker featured in Scott Snyder's Batman run.

Is there a Current Nightwing run even? Im so out of it, i dont know...i think i dropped out when they had this secret agent Grayson thing.

Is there a Current Nightwing run even? Im so out of it, i dont know...i think i dropped out when they had this secret agent Grayson thing.

Lol. Don’t worry Mani, Selina doesn’t even show up in Nightwing in the Rebirth era. ;)

Lol. Don’t worry Mani, Selina doesn’t even show up in Nightwing in the Rebirth era. ;)

If thats the case...onwards to a store, i need to buy me all the Nightwing stuff. XD XD
You just reminded me that i really need to find my "bucket list" i wanted to get me some classic catwoman as villian stories...i neglected my comic book collection for some time now, that needs to change.

SVENGOOLIE to MEET THE DC UNIVERSE In October Shorts Across DC Line

I didn’t know that Svengoolie was a thing outside of the Chicago area. Definitely picking this up.

That Svengoolie is like what Elvira did or does right? A short google search indicates something along the lines of it.
Im so sad that we here in germany dont have such a love for the horror genre and stuff.

With him finishing on Deathstroke soon, who would posters here like Priest to write next? Personally, i would like to see him write Batman, Nightwing, Ra's al Ghul, Lex Luthor or Sinestro.

Bleeding Cool is reporting that Tynion IV is the new Batman writer.

Official announcement on Saturday for Batman Day.

With him finishing on Deathstroke soon, who would posters here like Priest to write next? Personally, i would like to see him write Batman, Nightwing, Ra's al Ghul, Lex Luthor or Sinestro.

Green Arrow? I dont know,i just miss Green Arrow.
What series are "ending" or getting new writers...or is there any talk about new series in planning stage?

Bleeding Cool is reporting that Tynion IV is the new Batman writer.

Official announcement on Saturday for Batman Day.

Oh, interesting...i had a lot of fun with Batman/TMNT...wait was that by him? I always think it was him.
Lets see in general what batman day brings.

If thats the case...onwards to a store, i need to buy me all the Nightwing stuff. XD XD
You just reminded me that i really need to find my "bucket list" i wanted to get me some classic catwoman as villian stories...i neglected my comic book collection for some time now, that needs to change.

That Svengoolie is like what Elvira did or does right? A short google search indicates something along the lines of it.
Im so sad that we here in germany dont have such a love for the horror genre and stuff.

That is correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back