The General Comic Discussion Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
5 years, i give it 5 years before a new reboot.
Because i honestly think what we have now is the most confusing timeline we ever had.
Or at least it feels like it.
There are so many comics where i lost complete track.
5G doesnt need to happen, but some kind of reboot will need to happen soon...or at least a huge event(there goes the word again XD)that streamlines everything. PArt of the reason why New 52 Superman got rebooted was because of this fact even though that could've been explained away and you could've easily put him and Lois together.
I agree only because of what Bendis did to Superman & Jon. To do something like that and expect it to stick (mainly what he did to Superman) is crazy and I don't see it working for too much longer after he is gone.

Bat/Cat #1 confirmed for December.

Court of Owls is like watching a heavyweight boxing match between two power punchers who throw everything they have at each other in the first few rounds and spend the last couple of rounds leaning on each other because they are completely spent. Overall it was “good”, but the setup and the openings were simply dynamite. I have to say that the first few issues, with the Talons attacking city leaders and then descending upon Wayne Manor and the cave, and the Bat family dealing with Talons themselves—those were some of the best comics I’ve read. I actually found the Court to be terrifying. And the story felt like real stakes. But after that wave, it kind of dragged on.
I find that more annoying than a story that's poor from the start. If I pick up a story, read the first couple of issues/chapters and think 'that's utter ****', no real harm done. But if I get a story that grabs me from the off, looks like it's going great places, and then get the rug completely pulled out from under me, I resent not only the time (and money!) that I invested, but also that I was teased with something that could have been so great. That's incredibly frustrating, and definitely how I feel about Court of Owls.

Bat/Cat #1 confirmed for December.

So they waited this long for the Phantasm to show up in the comics...and its King who is allowed to do it in his Batcat fanfiction?
Thats a weird flex, but oh well...since it has nothing to do with the main continuity i dont really care.

But imagine the phantasm drawn by jimenez and written by tynion...that would be sweet.
Either way, cool to see the phantasm again...that reminds me, i really need to watch the movie soon again.

I find that more annoying than a story that's poor from the start. If I pick up a story, read the first couple of issues/chapters and think 'that's utter ****', no real harm done. But if I get a story that grabs me from the off, looks like it's going great places, and then get the rug completely pulled out from under me, I resent not only the time (and money!) that I invested, but also that I was teased with something that could have been so great. That's incredibly frustrating, and definitely how I feel about Court of Owls.

Yeah, its worse if a good story ends on a weak note than a bad story ending on a high note.

Cour of Owls a good example, it not only "ended" the story of the court and talons in a weak way, it also couldnt deliver on the subplot...Batman Eternal later didnt help either.
I loved the idea of Lincoln March being prime earths owlman, maybe bruces brother...but the execution was done really clumsy and then later Batman Eternal also didnt do a better job on that.

Bendis off Superman. Mark Waid back at DC.

I feel I just like JJ Watt right now

upload_2020-9-15_16-54-8.gif

or this bear

B7338A90-B3D3-4CDB-B4CF-93A09266940E.gif

Read Milestone Returns Zero and I don't know how I feel about it yet. Some good ideas, some bad art. I don't like the slight change to Xombi's origin. But overall, I am still very interested in where this is all going. I just don't want to wait for February for it.

What I really hope this does is get DC to reprint the original series in trades as it seems some of the books have gone up in price. I only have the first Icon and Static trades, missed out on Icon vol 2 and Hardware. I want these books collected because I'm probably not getting them any other way.

The Spectre by Ostrander volume 1 finally came in! Took years to find it for a decent price (usually around the $100 price range) can’t wait to finally read it as I’ve heard great things.

Which zombie themed DC storyline do people here prefer, Blackest Knight or DCeased?

Hmmmm...tough.
I need to know he'll get to do Superman before I can properly celebrate. Him coming on in December just as Bendis goes out the door is encouraging, but I'm afraid to get my hopes up at this point, lol.

I’d like to see hime take over GL when Morrison is done.

Blackest Night for the tie-ins.

Blackest Night for the tie-ins.
Funny. I’ve never read DCeased and I’ve never read the tie ins for Blackest Night. The main story for Blackest night was a huge let down, though. Especially on the heels of Sinestro Corps War.

Funny. I’ve never read DCeased and I’ve never read the tie ins for Blackest Night. The main story for Blackest night was a huge let down, though. Especially on the heels of Sinestro Corps War.
Yeah, it was just 6 issues of AHH ZOMBIES while I thought the tie-ins had more thought into them.

Im giving DCeased a try and really like it.
Blackest Night has a good idea but loses itself fast and hard.
But the tie-ins, they help quite a lot.

Visually i like Blackest Night more...but if i have to choose i would probably go with DCeased.

The main series for me felt rushed to me. But I really have been liking the digital series building on the core story.

I still dont know how to feel about the fact that the Batfamily story in Detective Comics 1027 was written by Bendis and i really...really...really liked it.
Im not sure how to deal with that.XD

Hallelujah, the comics are safe! And now coming 6 months after publication instead of a year. :woo:

EDIT: But also...
Will I have access to DC UNIVERSE INFINITE on my TV or Amazon tablet?

In December of 2020 DC UNIVERSE will no longer be available on Roku, Apple TV, Android TV, Amazon TV and tablet, and Xbox apps.

Noooooooo! I LOVE "watching" comics on my TV. :(

Removing apps that are already built is so goddamn stupid. Viewing comics on a big screen was the biggest advantage for me.

As a day 1 user, this is a dealbreaker. I ain't renewing. :down

To answer the question I posed earlier: I found DCeased to be too abrupt and direct in its storytelling for me to fully enjoy it. There wasn't a satisfactory amount of breathing room for me to take in everything and fully enjoy the novelty of the story being told. It was fairly bland, all things considered.

And that's a great shame, as if you were judging the comparison on the basis of plot progression alone, I think DCeased would win it outright. It utilised various aspects of DC lore (e.g., the Anti-Life equation and whatnot) and retooled them for the purposes of a zombie horror story in an expert manner.

Blackest Night initially had the exact opposite problem for me. For the first issue or so, it was far too leisurely in its pace and I also found it hard to decipher what was going on from panel to panel. Once that problem finally abated, however, I found myself enjoying it far more than DCeased. Its plot isn't quite as cleverly mapped out as DCeased's, but the handling of it, along with its allowance for a great many more character moments, made for an overall more satisfying arc.

Removing apps that are already built is so goddamn stupid. Viewing comics on a big screen was the biggest advantage for me.

As a day 1 user, this is a dealbreaker. I ain't renewing. :down
Not sure if this would work for you, but @Snow Queen brought up the excellent suggestion to me of casting it to my TV from my computer. Just turn on the comics reader's autoplay function in my browser and cast it. I just tested that out and it looks just like playing them from the TV app did...other than not being able to control it with my remote, of course. Might not serve your purposes, but I just wanted to throw that option out there, because it definitely solves my problem with this new development.

Not sure if this would work for you, but @Snow Queen brought up the excellent suggestion to me of casting it to my TV from my computer. Just turn on the comics reader's autoplay function in my browser and cast it. I just tested that out and it looks just like playing them from the TV app did...other than not being able to control it with my remote, of course. Might not serve your purposes, but I just wanted to throw that option out there, because it definitely solves my problem with this new development.
I have iOS devices and an Apple TV, so I do have the AirPlay function. Basically mirrors the signal from my iOS device, and I control through the device's screen for all the app functions.

The issue is because it's mirroring and none of the devices have the 16:9 screen ratio, the signal on the tv is cropped resulting in pillar boxing. So it's still a bit of a wonky workaround.

I don't want to be too reactionary. The service was a godsend for me, and I'm just pissed they took out so much of the value with no real improvements (other than upping the days-from-release schedule).

They consistently send me surveys, so best believe that next one is gonna hear a lot of my thoughts!

I’ve been reading Bruce Wayne: Murderer? and Bruce Wayne: Fugitive for the first time. I am incredibly surprised at just how much I am loving this story. So rich. I’m totally eating it up.

Interesting, maybe I’ll have to reconsider reading it. Theres a bit of a gap in my Batman collection from that era.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"