The General Comic Discussion Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought All New Wolverine was a good series. One I need to pick up eventually (unless it's gone OOP like a lot of series I missed and it's spiked in price).
Just thought I'd let you Know that there is an Omnibus of this run coming out. In case you weren't aware.

Reactions: NDX
I’ve been reading Bruce Wayne: Murderer? and Bruce Wayne: Fugitive for the first time. I am incredibly surprised at just how much I am loving this story. So rich. I’m totally eating it up.
It's been a while but I also really liked those two. I used to think I had some good knowledge about Batman and his allies, so I was really confused/surprised at the fact that
he had a female bodyguard/sidekick
for a while.
I also find
David Cain
to be a pretty interesting character

I’ve been reading Bruce Wayne: Murderer? and Bruce Wayne: Fugitive for the first time. I am incredibly surprised at just how much I am loving this story. So rich. I’m totally eating it up.

I loved it too. While I thought that Scott McDaniel was all wrong for Brubaker, that Rucka/Brubaker combo was one of the finest runs on the Bat titles, I think.

Also, the Brubaker/Philips issue of Batman where Batman interrogates the aging detective who was assigned the Thomas & Martha Wayne murder case is one of my all top favorite comics.

I loved it too. While I thought that Scott McDaniel was all wrong for Brubaker, that Rucka/Brubaker combo was one of the finest runs on the Bat titles, I think.
Yes. Actually, the whole story was a reminder that there was a murderer’s row of writers at the time, between Rucka on Detective, Brubaker on Batman and Chuck Dixon on Batgirl, Nightwing and Birds of Prey. Then Devin Grayson on Gotham Knights and sprinkle in Denny O’Neil on Azrael. It was a good time and it showed in this story.

Also, the Brubaker/Philips issue of Batman where Batman interrogates the aging detective who was assigned the Thomas & Martha Wayne murder case is one of my all top favorite comics.
That issue was sooooo good! It was full of heart and very touching, especially given where Brubaker and Rucka had put Batman (notice I don’t say Bruce) emotionally at that point. That was a wonderful issue.

I don't wanna get too ahead of myself, mainly due to the uncertainty of what lies ahead in the coming months for DC as a publisher BUT....

I think Joshua Williamson may have fixed the Flash family. Not 100%, but about 99%. Which is good enough for me.

It was a book that I hopped off of almost immediately when Rebirth started as it didn't do much for me, but periodically I would check it out when it seemed interesting. His last 4 issues, plus the Speed Metal one-shot though? Perfecto.

It looks like the new creative team next month and November is just a filler until DC announces the proper team after Death Metal finishes. It's actually very exciting.

I don't wanna get too ahead of myself, mainly due to the uncertainty of what lies ahead in the coming months for DC as a publisher BUT....

I think Joshua Williamson may have fixed the Flash family. Not 100%, but about 99%. Which is good enough for me.

It was a book that I hopped off of almost immediately when Rebirth started as it didn't do much for me, but periodically I would check it out when it seemed interesting. His last 4 issues, plus the Speed Metal one-shot though? Perfecto.

It looks like the new creative team next month and November is just a filler until DC announces the proper team after Death Metal finishes. It's actually very exciting.
That’s good to hear. Flash has been the most massive disappointment in Rebirth. They brought back Wally, who is one of the best characters in DC, but had absolutely no ideas as to how to use him or where he fit in. If the books are righting the ship, I might have to give them a second look.

Great read however I wished they asked him about 5g. On a side note I think New 52 still could've worked and would still be around if they just rebooted the whole DCU and for Batman go the Zack Snyder route making him older and already established so you can have Nightwing and the other Robins and keep most of his history intact and use Detective Comics to tell the stories of the past with Batman doing the modern day stories. That and they should've had Morrison talk and work with Perez & Jurgens on what he was doing on Superman and his background history. That is what really hurt Superman because Morrison didn't want to share his plans.

Anyone a little underwhelmed by Tynion's Joker War thus far? Apart from issue #98, the story feels generic and rushed. Jimenez's artwork is the only real draw imo.

Generic and rushed is a pretty good description of how I find Tynion's writing. I've not read Joker War but I found his Detective Comics run during Rebirth's early days to be pretty subpar. There was a problem there where his characters felt like they were reduced down to their most broad, one-note incarnations. Except Clayface, weirdly.

I really liked the reformed villain stories and thought Clayface's heroic turn was handled very well until the end. I really wish they'd keep these changes more often than not.

Generic and rushed is a pretty good description of how I find Tynion's writing. I've not read Joker War but I found his Detective Comics run during Rebirth's early days to be pretty subpar. There was a problem there where his characters felt like they were reduced down to their most broad, one-note incarnations. Except Clayface, weirdly.
I actually enjoyed Tynion’s Detective Comics run quite a bit. I found having an emphasis on the Bat family to be a huge breath of fresh air. While some characters faded a bit, I felt that Tim, Stephanie, Cassandra, Kate, and of course Clayface were given great opportunities to shine.

I also am enjoying Joker War, but I think that it benefits from the tie ins a lot. Jurgens did a very nice job with the Nightwing tie ins in particular.

It's been a while but I also really liked those two. I used to think I had some good knowledge about Batman and his allies, so I was really confused/surprised at the fact that
he had a female bodyguard/sidekick
for a while.
I also find
David Cain
to be a pretty interesting character
Yeah. I wasn’t familiar with
Sasha Bordeaux
Before this story. I’d like to see someone bring her back in as she was a good character.
I’m not a huge fan of
David Cain as I find Shiva to be much more interesting and I kind of wished that she had been the one behind it. But admittedly I haven’t read a lot of stuff with David Cain in it before.

I actually enjoyed Tynion’s Detective Comics run quite a bit. I found having an emphasis on the Bat family to be a huge breath of fresh air. While some characters faded a bit, I felt that Tim, Stephanie, Cassandra, Kate, and of course Clayface were given great opportunities to shine.

I also am enjoying Joker War, but I think that it benefits from the tie ins a lot. Jurgens did a very nice job with the Nightwing tie ins in particular.
While I like the focus on the Bat family as a group, and it was part of what caught my interest in it, I don't think they were used very well. I haven't read a whole lot of Tim, Steph and Cass, but if this were my initial introduction to them, I wouldn't really care to follow them anywhere else. My biggest issue though is Kate, my favourite character on the team, who feels like she's missing the spark she has with better writers and is reduced to someone I found pretty flat and broad. And that's before my issues with her actual storyline, I loathe what they did with her father. The only time that storyline held a glimmer of promise for me was during for his five second appearance in Bennett's solo run but that never got followed up on as the book was cancelled.

That issue was sooooo good! It was full of heart and very touching, especially given where Brubaker and Rucka had put Batman (notice I don’t say Bruce) emotionally at that point. That was a wonderful issue.

That sounds great, it goes onto my reading list, cant say i ever heard of Murderer and Fugitive.
I like to find out about "lesser" known batman stories, feels cool to dig up stuff from the past that isnt talked about too much.

Anyone a little underwhelmed by Tynion's Joker War thus far? Apart from issue #98, the story feels generic and rushed. Jimenez's artwork is the only real draw imo.

I think the problem is that the Joker is simply chaos, and therefore you cant do too much with him in such stories.
Two face, riddler, mr freeze etc have gimmicks you can go with...but the joker? He is just chaos.
They could have used the whole clown thing, have gotham being turned into a circus district by district or so.
But in the end you are often stuck in anarchy and chaos.

I do like it visually and think it would make a cool video game story.
I didnt expect it to be more than what it is so im fine with it.

I really liked the reformed villain stories and thought Clayface's heroic turn was handled very well until the end. I really wish they'd keep these changes more often than not.

Yeah that was such a cool idea.
At first i wasnt really into the idea of clayface becoming a part of the family and so on, but it grew onto me and i felt so bad in the end for him.

Absolutly.

I like to find out about "lesser" known batman stories, feels cool to dig up stuff from the past that isnt talked about too much.
Officer Down is another crossover that I thought was pretty good. I think it's 7 or 8 issues long or so.

So after seeing y'all talking about Bruce Wayne: Murderer and Fugitive, I was trying to figure out where I'd heard of those before. Turns out...it's from my own collection. I own them (think I got them as a gift like 10 years ago) and haven't read them, so I guess I should probably get on that. :funny:

I think the problem is that the Joker is simply chaos, and therefore you cant do too much with him in such stories.
Two face, riddler, mr freeze etc have gimmicks you can go with...but the joker? He is just chaos.
They could have used the whole clown thing, have gotham being turned into a circus district by district or so.
But in the end you are often stuck in anarchy and chaos.

I do like it visually and think it would make a cool video game story.
I didnt expect it to be more than what it is so im fine with it.

That's not really the issue for me. If I'm being honest, Snow Queen's comments--specifically the part about Tynion's "characters [being] ...... reduced down to their most broad, one-note incarnations" ring truer to my experience with Joker War and the latest run in general. I agree that it makes for--and certainly feels like--a decent video game story, and that'd be perfectly fine.. if I were playing a video game. But when it comes to comics, I generally expect a little more substance and complexity from the writers. That said, we all have our preferences, and I did enjoy issue #98 for the most part.

So after seeing y'all talking about Bruce Wayne: Murderer and Fugitive, I was trying to figure out where I'd heard of those before. Turns out...it's from my own collection. I own them (think I got them as a gift like 10 years ago) and haven't read them, so I guess I should probably get on that. :funny:

You're a fan of Brubaker's take on the character, right? (I could've sworn you told me that before.) Either way, he's heavily involved with both storylines. Hope you like.

You're a fan of Brubaker's take on the character, right? (I could've sworn you told me that before.) Either way, he's heavily involved with both storylines. Hope you like.
Yeah I'm just a fan of Brubaker in general, tbh. In terms of Bat-books, I've only read his "Batman adjacent" stuff like Gotham Central and Catwoman, but I loved 'em.

Yeah I'm just a fan of Brubaker in general, tbh. In terms of Bat-books, I've only read his "Batman adjacent" stuff like Gotham Central and Catwoman, but I loved 'em.
I really liked Brubaker’s Batman run, but I LOVED Rucka’s run on Detective, which had a lot of highlights in this story, along with the Nightwing and Gotham Knights tie ins.

I’m not a huge fan of
David Cain as I find Shiva to be much more interesting and I kind of wished that she had been the one behind it. But admittedly I haven’t read a lot of stuff with David Cain in it before.

I'm not sure why, but there is something about him that I find interesting. There's also the fact that I really find
Cass
to be a fascinating character.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe