Iron Man 3 The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - - - - - - Part 15

As there are those who defend a movie they haven't even seen yet, and continuously insulting others for disliking something they already convinced themselves that they'll like.

There probably has been some of that, but I've seen a lot more of the former than the latter. People openly discussing spoilers when they've been told multiple times not to, is inexcusable. Not accusing you of doing that, but there have been many doing that, a lot of them who are not regular posters on this board.

I think people should avoid posting spoilers and still discuss the movie, it's not that hard. It was damn near impossible to avoid the "Mandarin twist" spoiler on here the past month. So that has been spoiled for me for tonight...oh well my own fault should have left.

I suppose knowing the twist, it may add some depth to the scenes BEFORE it occurs which would be hard to appreciate if I didn't know it. Living on the bright side I suppose. I'll keep an eye out if they drop hints throughout the movie

Last edited:
Spill.com just posted their review for IM3.

Just came back from my third viewing.

The first time I saw it, so many things about it resonated with me that it followed me into my dreams. The second time, I loved it. And the third time, now finally in its undubbed original version, it has cemented itself with me as the CBM to beat.

Spoilers and weird theory behind the cut.

It's a story about a man finding himself, leaving behind the masks and false bravado and all the ******** he has talked himself into needing. As Tony himself puts it, Iron Man was a cocoon, and now he's left it to be... perfect? Maybe...

In fact, the last few minutes of the movie, now that I've seen it for the third time, have convinced me that we are seeing Extremis Tony symbolically throw his arc reactor into the ocean. And this is why:

1. He figured out Extremis and how to fix it while being drunk and presented with the first seeds of the idea 13 years before. He babbled about thelomerase algorhythms (while being covered, literally and figuratively, by Happy), which is something to do with DNA transcription in the cell. So, he knows quite a bit about biology, or at least about genetics.
2. He fixes Pepper ("sorts her out" as he puts it), something Maya Hansen couldn't do in thirteen years of research.
3. He says in narration, "But why stop there?" I thought that was a strange way to word it, so it got me thinking. He's been working on Extremis. He never said it was evil in and of itself. He loved the idea when he first heard about it. And now, he has fixed it. Just like in the comics, he upgrades Extremis, and then he takes it himself.
4. He decides to do this just before he orders Operation Clean Slate, which he does because he knows he won't be needing his old suits anymore. He had just had his ass handed to him by the Mandarin aka Killian, and it needed another Extremis-enhanced person, Pepper, to save him. I think that he decided at that moment that he wants Extremis for himself. "I'll fix you. It's what I do." And then I'll fix myself.
5. How else will he close that big-ass hole (spaces are important in this sentence, lol) that the arc reactor left in his chest cavity? Extremis will close this within minutes. And fix all the cuts in his face while it's at it.

Thoughts?

(Oh, and about the famous Mandarin twist, it didn't bother me one bit.)

Its an interesting theory Adamantium Man, but IMHO there's nothing really clear about the ending that suggests that Tony now has an improved, altered version of Extremis. If he did I think we would've seen something to indicate that.

Its an interesting theory Adamantium Man, but IMHO there's nothing really clear about the ending that suggests that Tony now has an improved, altered version of Extremis. If he did I think we would've seen something to indicate that.

I agree it's not clear. It's not clear at all. I'm basing this wholly on impressions and a strange wording, and probably also on wishful thinking. I watched him like a hawk once that thought occurred to me to see if there's any indication in the last few seconds we see him, but there's nothing. It may be completely off-base.

But we do know that Tony's not done being Iron Man. (We know he'll be in Avengers 2). It also explains the seemingly pointless destruction of all the suits (unless you want to argue it's a symbolic cleansing, which would of course work as well). And it does make sense.

Oh well. I'm not insisting, I just thought I'd get it out there.

The first time I saw it, so many things about it resonated with me that it followed me into my dreams. The second time, I loved it. And the third time, now finally in its undubbed original version, it has cemented itself with me as the CBM to beat.

It's a story about a man finding himself, leaving behind the masks and false bravado and all the ******** he has talked himself into needing. As Tony himself puts it, Iron Man was a cocoon, and now he's left it to be... perfect? Maybe...

In fact, the last few minutes of the movie, now that I've seen it for the third time, have convinced me that we are seeing Extremis Tony symbolically throw his arc reactor into the ocean. And this is why:

1. He figured out Extremis and how to fix it while being drunk and presented with the first seeds of the idea 13 years before. He babbled about thelomerase algorhythms (while being covered, literally and figuratively, by Happy), which is something to do with DNA transcription in the cell. So, he knows quite a bit about biology, or at least about genetics.
2. He fixes Pepper ("sorts her out" as he puts it), something Maya Hansen couldn't do in thirteen years of research.
3. He says in narration, "But why stop there?" I thought that was a strange way to word it, so it got me thinking. He's been working on Extremis. He never said it was evil in and of itself. He loved the idea when he first heard about it. And now, he has fixed it. Just like in the comics, he upgrades Extremis, and then he takes it himself.
4. He decides to do this just before he orders Operation Clean Slate, which he does because he knows he won't be needing his old suits anymore. He had just had his ass handed to him by the Mandarin aka Killian, and it needed another Extremis-enhanced person, Pepper, to save him. I think that he decided at that moment that he wants Extremis for himself. "I'll fix you. It's what I do." And then I'll fix myself.
5. How else will he close that big-ass hole (spaces are important in this sentence, lol) that the arc reactor left in his chest cavity? Extremis will close this within minutes. And fix all the cuts in his face while it's at it.

Thoughts?

That is certainly a very, very interesting theory. Very skeptical and doubtful that this will happen, but if it does, nice.

I agree it's not clear. It's not clear at all. I'm basing this wholly on impressions and a strange wording, and probably also on wishful thinking. I watched him like a hawk once that thought occurred to me to see if there's any indication in the last few seconds we see him, but there's nothing. It may be completely off-base.

But we do know that Tony's not done being Iron Man. (We know he'll be in Avengers 2). It also explains the seemingly pointless destruction of all the suits (unless you want to argue it's a symbolic cleansing, which would of course work as well). And it does make sense.

Oh well. I'm not insisting, I just thought I'd get it out there.

Interesting point dude, now I want to see the movie again :argh:

^ meh, I am still waiting to see it now, screw you guys, you non americans lol :p

I kid

I don't think there's any point in Tony taking Extremis, even an improved version. Extremis in the movie was basically a macguffin and it didn't really resemble the comics version. If it were like the comics version I could see that possibility, but with movie version it would just turn him into a superhuman to the point where he could easily do without the armour. I think IM3 could have arguably gotten away with renaming Dr. Maya Hansen, Aldrich Killian and Extremis without people noticing.

Hitting the theatre in about 4 hours, so gearing up.

I don't think there's any point in Tony taking Extremis, even an improved version. Extremis in the movie was basically a macguffin and it didn't really resemble the comics version. If it were like the comics version I could see that possibility, but with movie version it would just turn him into a superhuman to the point where he could easily do without the armour. I think IM3 could have arguably gotten away with renaming Dr. Maya Hansen, Aldrich Killian and Extremis without people noticing.

wish i hadn't read that.

Yes Extremis is totally different in this movie and Tony never has it altered and put in him.

Pepper gets it and is supposedly CURED of it.

The possibilities of that ability in a future Avengers movie......yeah.

Can someone please explain to me briefly the difference between EXTREMIS in comics and in the film? I keep hearing it's different, but how?

wish i hadn't read that.

Oh, sorry dude. But those are only nitpicks (in my eyes). I still think the film is really great and you should go see it (but stay away from spoilers until then :oldrazz: ).

Can someone please explain to me briefly the difference between EXTREMIS in comics and in the film? I keep hearing it's different, but how?

As far as I recall...

In the comics it let Tony hack any tech and it allowed him to communicate with his armour on a level not previously possible (I believe that's the gist of it).

Movie version is essentially a super soldier type of programme. It seems to have enhanced strength and enhanced healing factor (regrow arms and such) and Extremis infected can heat limbs to an absurd level (and burns things, obviously lol) and in one instance breath fire.

Last edited:

Thoughts?

I like this weird theory :)
I think there is much more to some of what Tony's saying at the end as well, especially the "why stop there?" part. Since Tony is only telling a story to Banner the whole time, could it really be that he is repressing certain things, and there's more to Banner saying he needs a head doctor?

I've noticed many weird things about the movie... I believe Tony could be changing his story a little bit if you get what I mean and it could be meant to be a little surreal. At times before Tony flips over the file that actually says m.i.a. and sees a.i.m on it, the letters m.i.a. are planted in strange locations in the background of scenes...

When Killian is shown talking on the phone after Maya tells Pepper she thinks her Boss is working for the Mandarin, Killian is talking to someone on the other line of that phone and the voice doesn't sound like Trevors. Pay attention because it cuts to it quickly, it almost sounds like he says something like the Masters (plural) might be recording the call, and says "you know how he gets". At first glance, the first time you see it, this sounds like he's talking about the Mandarin. But it could go either way because later on someone calls Killian the master. So Killian could be doing a lot of acting himself early in the movie to keep others at AIM from knowing, or he was actually talking to someone other than himself/his fake creation on the other line of that phone..

I think some things that people might be saying are plot holes could be easily explained as things Tony has repressed, has not told the whole story about... or doesn't quite understand himself

As Trevor says I think "it's complicated", it could be more than Trevor just being a double or decoy like Tony says... or drunk. His mind might have been secretly tampered with during the surgeries and there is a lot more to what he says. Trevor reveals key details, but doesn't think he knows them at first. He says some strange thinks like "he paniced and then he handled it" when Coldblood says "you should have hit the panic button".

I think there's a lot more to the story than meets the eye and Killian knows how to affect many areas of the brain, not just the parts that release chemicals. I think Extremis taught Pepper how to karate chop through an armor too...

Last edited:

Thoughts?

I sure hope not, [blackout]Tony Stark is all about hardware. He never put his faith in a 'super soldier serum'

Yeah, yeah Extremis...blah blah, comics, blah, extremis armor mleh.[/blackout]

Anyone think J.A.R.V.I.S is literally one step away from being K.I.T.T from Knight Rider?

He's become very responsive and even a bit caring(Calling Pepper when Tony was about to die throwing that nuke)

He's pretty much K.I.T.T. now. Insanely advanced AI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"