The Kick-Ass Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just had a reaffirmation of how good this movie is last night.

Two brothers.

First brother: I talked him into watching it last week. I then suggested I was going to watch the movie with the commentary. He decided to watch it with me. He never does that...ever.

Second brother: Me and the first brother talked the other one into watching it with us last night. We did the usual prodding...talking it up and telling him how much he would love it. That kind of thing usually backfires with him though. He'll make a strong effort to not like the movie in question usually. He couldn't even get started not liking it. By the end he was gushing praise for it too.

I'm totally impressed.

Just had a reaffirmation of how good this movie is last night.

Two brothers.

First brother: I talked him into watching it last week. I then suggested I was going to watch the movie with the commentary. He decided to watch it with me. He never does that...ever.

Second brother: Me and the first brother talked the other one into watching it with us last night. We did the usual prodding...talking it up and telling him how much he would love it. That kind of thing usually backfires with him though. He'll make a strong effort to not like the movie in question usually. He couldn't even get started not liking it. By the end he was gushing praise for it too.

I'm totally impressed.
Awesome story. Though for me, I don't like to give too much praise of a movie in front of others, because it ends up giving them an idea of what it's supposed to be like ahead of time, and thus disappointing them. Thankfully I didn't do that with Kick-Ass, and all my friends enjoyed it thoroughly.

Personally I think Kick-Ass is the best comic book movie this year and one of the best full stop, it just has everything, awesome action, great laughs, characters you can easily relate too and perhaps most importantly some very emotional scene's and a 'hell yeah' ending.

Vaughn and Singer are the only reason i'm looking forward to First Class also.

Awesome story. Though for me, I don't like to give too much praise of a movie in front of others, because it ends up giving them an idea of what it's supposed to be like ahead of time, and thus disappointing them. Thankfully I didn't do that with Kick-Ass, and all my friends enjoyed it thoroughly.

I agree...but that 3rd brother is soo hard to convince. We had to turn into politicians. :)

Personally I think Kick-Ass is the best comic book movie this year and one of the best full stop, it just has everything, awesome action, great laughs, characters you can easily relate too and perhaps most importantly some very emotional scene's and a 'hell yeah' ending.

Vaughn and Singer are the only reason i'm looking forward to First Class also.

I'm with you. Even though the ending could be seen as "cliche" technically...I saw it as a reward and a bit of a release from the ride we had just taken. The acting in the movie is getting more impressive to me the more I watch. Especially starting to nothing the awesome job Mark Strong did. That guy conveyed about half his stuff without dialog. Just watch his face the next time you see it.

Also agree on the X-men movie. I've gone from..."yeah whatever" to "hey...there's 4 comic book movies coming out next summer!" :)

Yeah, one of my friends wasn't very big about Scott Pilgrim when he saw the trailer. When I took him to see it, he loved it. Sometimes the people really have to see it to believe it.

I got a quick question. Matthew said that they tried to only use things that could be ordered online for Kick-Ass, Mist, etc. I was wondering what is Hit Girls double ended sword called? I have looked the past 30-40 minutes. I give up and thought I'd go the easy way and ask if you guys knew it's proper name. thanks

The most I could find is that a double-edged sword's technical name is a Khanda or Tega. Now I don't know if this would apply to the specifics with Hit-Girl's as it can be duel weld. In the end I presume she got it from the underground or some top notch seller ... much like the rest of their weapons.

I got a quick question. Matthew said that they tried to only use things that could be ordered online for Kick-Ass, Mist, etc. I was wondering what is Hit Girls double ended sword called? I have looked the past 30-40 minutes. I give up and thought I'd go the easy way and ask if you guys knew it's proper name. thanks

Chloe called it a bo staff.

I agree! I was expecting to enjoy this movie and everything, but I totally wasn't expecting it to be one of my favorite comic book films. It's the best comic book movie of 2010, as far as I'm concerned.

If someone told me a year ago that I'd love Kick-Ass more than Iron Man 2, I would have said they were nuts. Kick-Ass took me by surprise. :)

Loved the Movie. Decided to get the comic as well. Things don't end all that well for Dave there. :csad:

I agree...but that 3rd brother is soo hard to convince. We had to turn into politicians. :)

I'm with you. Even though the ending could be seen as "cliche" technically...I saw it as a reward and a bit of a release from the ride we had just taken. The acting in the movie is getting more impressive to me the more I watch. Especially starting to nothing the awesome job Mark Strong did. That guy conveyed about half his stuff without dialog. Just watch his face the next time you see it.

Also agree on the X-men movie. I've gone from..."yeah whatever" to "hey...there's 4 comic book movies coming out next summer!" :)

Yeah same here, and I did notice the awesome job Mark Strong, he is simply superb in the movie, he's a bad guy you love to hate but gives a great performance at the same time, his fight with Hit Girl is awesome as well.

I agree! I was expecting to enjoy this movie and everything, but I totally wasn't expecting it to be one of my favorite comic book films. It's the best comic book movie of 2010, as far as I'm concerned.

If someone told me a year ago that I'd love Kick-Ass more than Iron Man 2, I would have said they were nuts. Kick-Ass took me by surprise. :)

Same year, I went into this year with Iron Man 2 pretty much my favourite CB of the year before I had even seen any of them, but to say I enjoy KA a lot more is an understatement, its just an overall better made movie with tons of heart and emotion which for me IM2 lacked.

Same year, I went into this year with Iron Man 2 pretty much my favourite CB of the year before I had even seen any of them, but to say I enjoy KA a lot more is an understatement, its just an overall better made movie with tons of heart and emotion which for me IM2 lacked.

You know I liked IM2...but Kick Ass was better. I'm not afraid to admit both Toy Story 3 and KA knocked IM2 down a slot on my list.

I actually miss a lot of the internal dialoge from the book when watching the movie, I don't know if it would have been a good aesthetic choice to have it leaden with a lot of voiceovers , probably not a good idea, but I definitely think it's a strength the book has that the movie does not. Even just little things like when he driving about with Red-Mist talking about superhero team ups and stuff. Stuff for the cb/sh fans.

After reading the comic, I'm a little disappointed that they went a bit too much into the humorous direction with the Movie. And that they also made Big Daddy look too much like Batman. I would have definitely prefered the Punisher approach, or at least given him the coat in the movie and ditched the cape. Also not made him sound like a *****e.

Still loving the Movie though. It's probably not all that bad to have two different approaches. I'll watch the Movie when I need something more light hearted and has a happy ending, and read the comic when I need harsh reality slapped across my face.

Yeah, one thing I appreciate about Kick-Ass in general is the mere fact that they were produced at pretty well the same time, so that's why any drastic changes feel healthy. They both start off going in a similar direction, but ultimately part ways and make very unique stories of their own. While the comic is more down to earth and gritty, the movie is more fun and with its flavoring of majestic presentation.

So? That doesn't change the fact that Kick-Ass comic isn't good.

What do you think is wrong with the comic?

edit: when I read you saying it was 'horrible' it kind of sounded like you were offended by some of the content. Because the basic story is intact in the movie.

Why exactly is the comic not good? It's the basic Movie plot, without the Hollywood flavor sprinkled across it and not giving you a happy ending that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"