The Lighthouse

Robert Paddington

CKRklde.jpg

No idea why, but the theater in my sate has no showings on the 25th. cant find them anywhere, ugh!

It's coming out only in January in Russia. **** my life.... Dying to check it out.

I had no clue what this is about, but the trailers and cast have me intrigued enough to check it out. Then again, I was one of like, 3 people that didn't think the Witch was the new standard of horror. The behind the scenes stories about the goat were scarier than the movie. :o
The Witch didn't scare me, didn't make me jump, have nightmares or whatever, and I still consider it one of the best movies of the past decade. I loved it. To each his own,

As for this film, it's not horror.
No idea why, but the theater in my sate has no showings on the 25th. cant find them anywhere, ugh!
What city? 'cause it's expanding wide..

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't really watch horror movies expecting to be scared with very limited exceptions turning out to be scary.

Yet, horror might be my favorite genre for other reasons.

Jump scares are usually cheap gimmicks that work on everyone for a second...but actual SCARY movies? I don't know about that...and I LOVE Horror (it's my favorite genre). I tend to prefer a movie that makes me feel a sense of dread or suspense rather than one telling me that a ghost is going to kill people (because I don't believe in ghosts).

Seeing this in less than 24 hours and am PUMPED!

same. My cinema told me they haven’t found a local distributor. It’s such a shame people complain that people only go to see blockbusters and then make it as hard as possible to see quality indie films

Going to see this tonight. One of my most anticipated of the year, looking forward to it.

same. My cinema told me they haven’t found a local distributor. It’s such a shame people complain that people only go to see blockbusters and then make it as hard as possible to see quality indie films
Agreed. its heartbreaking.

This might honestly be one of my favorite movies ever. I'm gonna need to see it a few more times.

One of the most visceral, realistic depictions of descent into madness that I've ever seen. Right up there with Nicholson in The Shining. Wow.

This might honestly be one of my favorite movies ever. I'm gonna need to see it a few more times.

One of the most visceral, realistic depictions of descent into madness that I've ever seen. Right up there with Nicholson in The Shining. Wow.

Did our new Batman do good in it? Hearing rave reviews on his performance.

Just got back from seeing this. I didn't expect many people to be at the screening, but my theater was very close to being sold out. Very few empty seats (even in the neck-straining front rows).

The performances were incredible. Batman did a fantastic job and just threw himself into it. Dafoe was on an inhuman level of performance as well.

The film is a lot funnier than I expected it to be. And as mentioned above...the descent into madness was masterfully done.

Watching this on Sunday. Can't wait.

Just got put of the theater. Quick thoughts. Pattinson was really good and Dafoe was ****ing great.

My friend didn't get the last shot of the film but that last shot of the film solidified what I was leaning towards a little past halfway in.
Pattinson's basically Prometheus.
Really great movie and I already want to see it again.

Last edited:
Just got put of the theater. Quick thoughts. Pattinson was really good and Dafoe was ****ing great.

My friend didn't get the last shot of the film but that last shot of the film solidified what I was leaning towards a little past halfway in.
Pattinson's basically Prometheus.
Really great movie and I already want to see it again.

I gathered that too especially since Eggers said he's obsessed with mythology and folklore. The light from the lighthouse represented the fire stolen and him falling down the stairs is his fall from grace or being cast out of the heavens.

I gathered that too especially since Eggers said he's obsessed with mythology and folklore. The light from the lighthouse represented the fire stolen and him falling down the stairs is his fall from grace or being cast out of the heavens.

That last shot was great imagery. When that hit the screen all I could think was, "well played Eggers, well played."
Prometheus being punished for stealing fire and gets strapped to a rock and gets his liver/innards eaten by a buzzard daily.

Last edited:
This ****ing movie. I need to see it five more times. It makes you ask so many questions, and an argument can be made for a number of readings.

Was Winslow nuts from the beginning, and Wake was telling the truth the whole time?

Was Winslow's descent into madness purely the result of Wake's calculated and intentional manipulation?

Was Wake an actual avatar of Proteus, or was he just a crazy old man?

Was any of the supernatural stuff real, or was it all a figment of Winslow's imagination?

This was honestly one of the most satisfying theater experiences I've had in a while. On a purely technical level, this movie is basically perfect. The cinematography, the score, the script, the sound editing. All pitch perfect. The performances from Dafoe and Pattinson are god-tier, and the movie is ambiguous enough to inspire multiple interpretations and encourage repeat viewings. And the ending is pure Lovecraft, while also serving as an allegory for a pretty well-known mythological tale.

I would caution people. The movie is light on actual plot. It's essentially a two-hour character piece. It's a descent into madness. And you really feel like you're going along with the characters down that rabbit hole. At the risk of sounding pretentious, the movie really is all about the emotional and psychological experience.

Last edited:
This ****ing movie. I need to see it five more times. It makes you ask so many questions, and an argument can be made for a number of readings.

Was Winslow nuts from the beginning, and Wake was telling the truth the whole time?

Was Winslow's descent into madness purely the result of Wake's calculated intentional manipulation?

Was Wake an actual avatar of Proteus or was he just a crazy old man?

Was any of the supernatural stuff real, or was it all a figment of Winslow's imagination?

This was honestly one of the most satisfying theater experiences I've had in a while. On a purely technical level, this movie is basically perfect. The cinematography, the score, the sound editing. Pitch perfect. The performances from Dafoe and Pattinson are god-tier, and the movie is ambiguous enough to inspire multiple interpretations and encourage repeat viewing.

Like I mentioned previously, I already want to see this again. Definitely a movie worthy of repeat viewings.

Also, I hope Egger's scraps his ideas for a Nosferatu remake. After The Witch and now this one, I want to see him do some more original work. He's 2 for 2 right now.

The Northman has my full attention. Very curious to see what folklorish/mythological influences he puts in there.

The Northman has my full attention. Very curious to see what folklorish/mythological influences he puts in there.

Oh damn! Didn't realize he already had his next film planned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"