The Lighthouse

Oh damn! Didn't realize he already had his next film planned.
Yep. It's a Viking revenge drama, but Eggers said to expect a mythological flavor. So I'm guessing we'll see stuff that plays into Norse folklore.

Well, this will definitely end up being one of my favorite films of the year. Love the slow burn, seeing Pattinson and Dafoe bring their A-game, and enjoyed seeing the two just gradually descend into pure madness...more so Pattinson, I mean.

That said, I've learned a crucial lesson from this movie: never insult Willem Dafoe's cooking.

Yep. It's a Viking revenge drama, but Eggers said to expect a mythological flavor. So I'm guessing we'll see stuff that plays into Norse folklore.

:woo::hrt:

Dafoe should get nominated for this performance. That rant of his in the third act was practically all one take if I remember correctly. Pattinson was really great in this too but Dafoe was quite amazing.

I hope Eggers includes another animal in The Northman that basically trolls the lead character. Keep it going. Hahaha

Last edited:
Well, this will definitely end up being one of my favorite films of the year. Love the slow burn, seeing Pattinson and Dafoe bring their A-game, and enjoyed seeing the two just gradually descend into pure madness...more so Pattinson, I mean.

That said, I've learned a crucial lesson from this movie: never insult Willem Dafoe's cooking.
But ye like me lobster, don't ye?! I know ye do!

Beyond hysterical that a conversation about cooking turns into one of the most staggering monologues ever.

Seeing it again tonight. My girlfriend will despise it. :funny:

But ye like me lobster, don't ye?! I know ye do!

Beyond hysterical that a conversation about cooking turns into one of the most staggering monologues ever.

That is going to end up being a scene I rewatch on end when this is out on home release. It felt like Dafoe was cursing Pattinson to the depths of hell just for not liking his cooking.

Dafoe looks absolutely terrifying in that scene. The high-contrast photography shadows most of his face, but his eyes are beaming and radiant like two bulbs of light. And he doesn't blink.

Shocking that this is slaying on Letterboxd,
glad to see people having taste

Last edited:
While I didn't enjoy this movie, I understand why critics and fans of classical cinema would be into it. It's definitely not for people with weak stomachs. My wife wanted to leave towards the climax

Just got back from seeing it, damn this was masterfully done. Absolutely amazing film with fantastic performances from Pattinson and Dafoe. I haven't seen Pattinson in anything since the Twilight movies (ok so I saw those, a girl I knew at the time dragged me to all of them) and am now looking forward to seeing what he does with Batman.

The trailers do a lot to prepare viewers for the tone of the film, but didn't capture just how crazy the descent into madness goes. There's a LOT of crazy stuff in this movie, and certainly not for those with weak stomachs. I'd further add that most women probably won't like it either—it's a film that primarily only guys will understand, and there are some scenes that will probably disturb female viewers (suffice it to say that the film takes advantage of its R rating!). And not to spoil anything, but the film gets very surrealistic too, which the trailers didn't capture at all either.

I wouldn't say I personally loved it, as I prefer The Witch over this one from a purely thematic point of view, but I truly appreciated the effort that Eggers (along with everyone else behind the camera) put into it. Truly artistic filmmaking on a level that's rarely seen, and I can't wait to see what Eggers does next.

If I had to nitpick about something, it's that the dialog in both of Eggers' movies so far can be hard to understand at times—The Witch was because of its use of Olde English, while in this one I'd call it a combination of sound mixing and the "turn of the century" accent that they had. Because of that there's no way I'm seeing this again in theaters—next time will be on Blu-Ray with subtitles! ;)

Last edited:
For those who've seen the movie...

fLpKsgn.png

This and Parasite together was probably the greatest and most insane double feature I've ever done in a theatre. Anybody who has an A-List membership should do that ASAP!

This movie is 12 different kinds of bonkers and I loved all of them. If Defoe doesn’t get an Oscar nom they should shut down the Academy. 10/10.

this film looks pretty awesome and am excited to see this

hopefully eggers surprises me because i hated the witch lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"