The Marvels: News and General Discussion thread

I think once Mcu is a "great shape" again. They could revisit those set ups, but not to serve as main plot device but to close loose ends.

I am still optimistic that they can recover. They just need to stop working on 15 projects at the same time, cancel certain projects (Thunderbolts, Armor Wars) and refocus on the more important things (Avengers, Multiverse plotline). I don't think Echo, Agatha, Thunderbolts, Armor Wars and Brave New World will help them in the long run and its too bad, half of those are already filmed. I hope Marvel will have the guts to cancel certain projects instead of just delaying them for a few months.
They might not help the overall quality scores and getting folks into theatres but Marvel has to do their part as Star Wars wingman to give Disney exclusive content for their streaming service

They might not help the overall quality scores and getting folks into theatres but Marvel has to do their part as Star Wars wingman to give Disney exclusive content for their streaming service
Marvel could release a Disney+ original once a year. The problem is they have overdone it and have eXhausted almost everyone at this point. I watch every scripted show they've released and I'm eXhausted even if the shows don't really have a very long episode order.

2021: WandaVision, TFAWS, Loki, Hawkeye, What If? (5)
2022: Moon Knight, Ms. Marvel, Guardians X-Mas, Werewolf by Knight, She Hulk (5)
2023: Secret Invasion, Loki, What If? (3)
2024: Echo, Agatha, X-Men 97, Spider-Man Freshman Years (4)

I don't know any movie franchise that have branched off to so many projects for streaming in such a short period of time. At least with Star Wars, there hasn't been a new film since Episode 9 came out and that film was pre-pandemic.

I don't know why Disney eXecs didn't see the possibility of people getting burnt out by these eXplosion of Marvel content alongside releasing theaterical films every few months... in a post Covid world, where more people are just waiting for films to be available online and Disney+ is quite cheap for a monthly fee.

If it weren't for the strikes - Daredevil and Wonder Man would have been done filming by now. And they had plans to release Ironheart much earlier than the current 2025 target.

Honestly not really.

With Multiverse of Madness, I feel like its a must see to watch wandavision to understand why Wanda went 180 after Endgame. People who didn't see WandaVision, were probably confused who were those "children" Wanda was mourning about.

I don't feel the same way with The Marvels. Kamala Khan can be seen an entirely new character, like how Spider-Man appeared in Civil war. While Monica is now a grown up who got powers inbetween the first Cm movie and the Marvels. And Secret Invasion is not even a must see especially in preparation for the Marvels.
I heard that Secret Invasion doesn't receive a single reference in The Marvels.

Tbf, the only difference between now and the Infinity Saga in terms of output are the divisions. If you look at the Marvel brand as a whole between both Marvel Studios and Marvel Television back then, the amount of content being released is the same, only the shows back then were long running multi season shows. There were more hours of Agents of SHIELD than all of the Disney+ shows combined.

The difference is the "It's All connected" motif and Marvel Studios not making those shows. AoS wasn't required or essential viewing for the movies (and the canon of it all is up in the air, but that's another topic). So the main issue isn't nescearily output (though I do agree that needs to get cut back) but rather in terms of essential viewing. They need to make a show like Ms. Marvel fun and entertaining to watch but also you don't need to watch any of it to understand the movies.

In fact, I actually agree with what psylockolussus just said a few posts back. You don't need to watch Ms. Marvel or WandaVision to understand The Marvels. Everything you need is explained in the movie and done pretty quickly. If they are going to continue making shows (which we know they are) they need to make sure they are not required in the grand scheme of things. And if the movies are going to use any TV stuff, they need to make sure to use those elements with the mindset that not everyone has watched them.

Last edited:
This is a very random example, but I heard Christopher McQuarrie talk about how he makes the M:I movies in a way that it works for people who watches M:I and for people that don't. If you watch closely, in every movie there's a scene that explains what the IMF is and what they do, how they operate. There are plot points and things from other movies but you could, in theory, watch any M:I and understand it perfectly.

A lot of people I think saw infinity war and endgame without seeing all that came before, and for a good portion of them, probably none. That doesn’t stop them liking the movies. I went into see the last 2 parts of Harry Porter (my partner dragged me to the cinema) without seeing any before or read the books, I reckoned probably some characters had important past but even without knowing I could still enjoy them. Admittedly, knowing what came before would enhance the experience but if a movie can sell itself, it is not a flaw that it has connection to past materials.

This is a very random example, but I heard Christopher McQuarrie talk about how he makes the M:I movies in a way that it works for people who watches M:I and for people that don't. If you watch closely, in every movie there's a scene that explains what the IMF is and what they do, how they operate. There are plot points and things from other movies but you could, in theory, watch any M:I and understand it perfectly.
Yet another reason to LOVE Christopher McQuarrie!

The difference with Marvel Television shows and Marvel Studios show is, the shows of Marvel Television were scattered in different platforms. The movies were also really popular during that period, that poor reviews and ratings of those shows, didn't hurt the mcu movies at all.

With Marvel Studios shows, all of them are on Disney+ which became the eXclusive streaming place for Mcu films (eXcluding Spidey movies) since 2020. Marketing wise, Marvel Studios also made it clear that these shows are connected to their films and that they are 1 unit which they didn't do during the Marvel Television era. Aside from the effects of the pandemic, having all these Marvel content in 1 platform, changed the viewing habit of the MCU viewers that would usually see the movies in the cinemas. They are now instead, probably just waiting for these films to come out on Disney+.

Plus the quality of the Disney+ shows and noticeable quality drop of the films, made things worse.

At this point, the Mcu is becoming way convoluted to remember every single that happened. I think people attached to these projects are having trouble to keep up with everything mcu as well.

I think it wouldn't matter that much that certain things don't align, if only the shows/films were consistently good. Fortunately, i didn't care for Secret Invasion and its probably for the best, if they just pretend it didn't happen (especially the Rhodey blunder).

Just watched the movie and really liked it a lot. The entangled fight choreography was pretty cool and I enjoyed seeing Kamala and her family as well as the three main leads interact. The villain was a bit dull and thought was weak in the end. If anything, I thought the movie was short and could have expanded more on certain aspects between Carol and Monica as well as Carol and the Kree. The last fight could have been expanded a bit more. A little nitpick but I found it annoying how Monica knew about alternate/other reality; I mean it could just have been a portal that needed to be closed. Other than that enjoyable.

Phase V
GotGv3
The Marvel's
Antman

Post Endgame
Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness
Black Panther Wakanda
Eternals/GotGv3
The Marvel's
Shang Chi
Black Widow
SM NWH

Just watched the movie and really liked it a lot. The entangled fight choreography was pretty cool and I enjoyed seeing Kamala and her family as well as the three main leads interact. The villain was a bit dull and thought was weak in the end. If anything, I thought the movie was short and could have expanded more on certain aspects between Carol and Monica as well as Carol and the Kree. The last fight could have been expanded a bit more. A little nitpick but I found it annoying how Monica knew about alternate/other reality; I mean it could just have been a portal that needed to be closed.
Yeah, the entangled stuff worked well and I liked the training they did to get in sync. :D

Great chemistry between the leads and the Khans were awesome too. :beaming:

Yes, the training montage worked very well. One of the few MCU movies I thought humor worked very well. I also enjoyed the musical numbers, it was just so out there but had flair. Brie looked stunning in that dress.

Really hope word of mouth picks up!

The Flerken scene using Momeory from CATS was the most genius thing I've seen in years.

Also, I have a gripe to pick:

I'm hearing many people complain about the Fox actors. "We're so done with that universe. We want a FULL REBOOT." And listen, I get it. But my thing is... we're not getting the FOX version of these characters. We only happen to be getting some of the (perfectly cast) actors. The Beast we saw in The Marvels was easily the most comic-accurate adaptation of the character on film EVER. Why be mad that it's Kelsey Grammer, who is perfect for the role? He's clearly playing a new version of the character who looks and sounds like the version we know from the animated series and the comics. Why is that an issue?

No Rate & Review Thread?

I thought this movie was pretty great, so much better than CM1. I don't understand at all how this has a lower Box Office, RT and Cinemascore than the first movie

The leads were all great, especially Iman Vellani, Every line she spoke was gold. The supporting players were top notch too (Kamala's family is a treasure and Samuel L was back in top form). The action was great, there were a couple wonky CGI shots (mostly flying scenes) but overall decent. The Cinematography was nothing to write home about but all in all I thought it was a pretty nice looking movie.

Dar-benn was... fine. Her motivations were understandable, and I thoroughly hated her by the end of the movie which implies Zawe Ashton was pretty effective in the role. She was definitely not a top tier villain but she held it down. I do agree Jude Law or even Minn-erva probably would've made for a better villain though, they could've tied in to the themes better as the messed up "found family" Carol walked away from.

And yeah, the credit scene was pretty exciting.

I'd give it a 7.5-8/10, and rank it towards the top of the post-endgame films
My top 5 would probably be:
1. No Way Home
2. GOTG 3
3. Shang-Chi
4. The Marvels
5. Wakanda Forever

That's a good way to look at movies, but to be fair the MI movies are not that serialized until maybe 6. Otherwise they were always pretty stand alone. So it's kinda different thing that the MCU when it comes to storytelling in that, and many, regard

That being said I think Feige came out and said something during Phase 3 that they were gonna stop making movies assuming people didn't see the previous films.
And I think that was fine until they started putting out so much more content in Phases 4 and 5

No Rate & Review Thread?

I thought this movie was pretty great, so much better than CM1. I don't understand at all how this has a lower Box Office, RT and Cinemascore than the first movie

The leads were all great, especially Iman Vellani, Every line she spoke was gold. The supporting players were top notch too (Kamala's family is a treasure and Samuel L was back in top form). The action was great, there were a couple wonky CGI shots (mostly flying scenes) but overall decent. The Cinematography was nothing to write home about but all in all I thought it was a pretty nice looking movie.

Dar-benn was... fine. Her motivations were understandable, and I thoroughly hated her by the end of the movie which implies Zawe Ashton was pretty effective in the role. She was definitely not a top tier villain but she held it down. I do agree Jude Law or even Minn-erva probably would've made for a better villain though, they could've tied in to the themes better as the messed up "found family" Carol walked away from.

And yeah, the credit scene was pretty exciting.

I'd give it a 7.5-8/10, and rank it towards the top of the post-endgame films
My top 5 would probably be:
1. No Way Home
2. GOTG 3
3. Shang-Chi
4. The Marvels
5. Wakanda Forever

The more folks keep blaming 'white dudes' and such for the film not doing well, the more they miss the point. The same women who helped make the first Captain Marvel a billion dollar film...where are they? Do women of all colors and looks not find appeal in seeing women as the heroes on screen?

Obviously that's not the case. They didn't mind seeing themselves as Barbies or relishing their childhoods. Same when African-Americans or Asians showed up and saw themselves, respectively, in Black Panther or Shang-Chi. No one said The Marvels had to be perfect, but it's almost like some folks are using the sexism card as a shield. Is that argument somewhat valid? Of course it is, but that isn't and never will be the sole reason why The Marvels bombed. Audiences just weren't into what this film sold.

The more folks keep blaming 'white dudes' and such for the film not doing well, the more they miss the point. The same women who helped make the first Captain Marvel a billion dollar film...where are they? Do women of all colors and looks not find appeal in seeing women as the heroes on screen?

Obviously that's not the case. They didn't mind seeing themselves as Barbies or relishing their childhoods. Same when African-Americans or Asians showed up and saw themselves, respectively, in Black Panther or Shang-Chi. No one said The Marvels had to be perfect, but it's almost like some folks are using the sexism card as a shield. Is that argument somewhat valid? Of course it is, but that isn't and never will be the sole reason why The Marvels bombed. Audiences just weren't into what this film sold.

I don't think he's blaming the movie bombing on white dudes. He's specifically talking about people who are celebrating its failure and were hoping it would fail from the very beginning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"