The Marvels: News and General Discussion thread

I don't think he's blaming the movie bombing on white dudes. He's specifically talking about people who are celebrating its failure and were hoping it would fail from the very beginning.
Which is pretty silly.

Obviously there's sexism and a lot of diversity issues in the world. But let's be 100...it a big internet thing to celebrate or hope for a movie's failure. I don't get it, but it's a thing regardless of the any "wokeness" We've seen it with Venom, Morbius, Super Mario Bros Movie, Dark Phoenix, Black Adam, The Flash...

That guys whole post reminds me of some of the DCEU fanboy copium posts after BvS started failing. But it's weird because I saw waaaaay less people hoping that The Marvels would fail and waaaaay less gloating about The Marvels current situation then the other movies I mentioned. Hell I saw way more hope that 2019 Captain Marvel would fail then this sequel. The Marvels is more indifference for the movie overall and shock that it's failing.
I'm not saying there is none at all but it's really tame and weird to point it out or trying to frame it as a sexist issue

Which is pretty silly.

Obviously there's sexism and a lot of diversity issues in the world. But let's be 100...it a big internet thing to celebrate or hope for a movie's failure. I don't get it, but it's a thing regardless of the any "wokeness" We've seen it with Venom, Morbius, Super Mario Bros Movie, Dark Phoenix, Black Adam, The Flash...

That guys whole post reminds me of some of the DCEU fanboy copium posts after BvS started failing. But it's weird because I saw waaaaay less people hoping that The Marvels would fail and waaaaay less gloating about The Marvels current situation then the other movies I mentioned. Hell I saw way more hope that 2019 Captain Marvel would fail then this sequel. The Marvels is more indifference for the movie overall and shock that it's failing.
I'm not saying there is none at all but it's really tame and weird to point it out or trying to frame it as a sexist issue
Wait, who was rooting for the Mario movie to fail?

It was a contingent of Sega and Sony fans, wasn't it? :D

I guess maybe a contingent of fans who were upset that Chris Pratt voiced Mario instead of bringing back Chris Martinet for the movie.

A bunch of people. All around the net even here just because Pratt was involved.
For the life of me I really don't get the outright hatred for Pratt or people making up false stories about it. He hasn't done or been accused of anything egregious.

I see more hate and less defense of him then freaking Louis CK or Deshaun Watson

Any case yeah a lot were hoping Mario Bros Movie would fail. I still haven't seen it but I don't get what the fuss was about. It's a Mario movie. Relax

I thought the guys was simply saying that even in failure, the movie is important to many others who have the chance to see themselves as heroes/heroines not being white dudes. I don’t read that he passed any judgement on why the movie fails or on any white dude out there.

it goes without saying that anyone who has a problem with that (others feeling empowerment via a medium) then the problem is they who have a problem.

A bunch of people. All around the net even here just because Pratt was involved.
For the life of me I really don't get the outright hatred for Pratt or people making up false stories about it. He hasn't done or been accused of anything egregious.

I see more hate and less defense of him then freaking Louis CK or Deshaun Watson

Any case yeah a lot were hoping Mario Bros Movie would fail. I still haven't seen it but I don't get what the fuss was about. It's a Mario movie. Relax

Look, I don't like Pratt. I wish he wasn't the apparent go to guy now. I wasn't exactly rooting against Mario movie, but I did not expect it to be as big as it was.

In other topics. I just love Marvel's brilliant idea to put an ugly banner on Marvel comic covers advertising the movie. On comics the week of release and the week after release. Just a brilliant job guys. Just brilliant marketing. You know when that might have been helpful? On your goddamn premiere issue of your new Captain Marvel ongoing.

Just frustrated that I have 2 weeks of Marvel comics, 2 weeks that were heavy on my pull list, with covers of that ugly banner.

Plus I'd assume active Marvel comic book readers would be the one group that doesn't need reminded of the newest MCU movie the week of release.

That banner won't bother me, cause I don't read then!:hehe:

finally managed to see yesterday, it’s a light, entertaining movie, just one nitpick :basicgrin:
the 2 Kree fighters in the beginning can be stalled as long as they could be by some home furniture and appliances hurled by untrained civilians who didn’t even end up with a scratch.

Finally saw it.

Honestly I think some of the internet is being overly harsh towards it. Yes it's not an overly note worthy addition to the MCU save the end credits scene, but it wasn't outright bad like Eternals. I'd even venture to say this one was better than the first.

The villian could have used more development. I think of her like a less compelling Kuvira from Legend of Korra. Also Marvel has to stop killing villians in the first film. It's getting old, and preventing growth from them. Also they should've explained why she was looking for the bracelets.

The call backs to the first film could've been limited further. The events were 30 years + prior and should've just been left in the past for the most part.

Fury needs figured out. He should be much more imposing.

Kamala and her family were fantastic. They really added to the film.

Monica, they did a decent job of explaining. WandaVision probably helped me with her though. She could've maybe used a little more explaination about how she got involved with SABER.

Captain Marvel and Superman suffer from the same issue. They're both so over-powered that it makes them hard to make compelling which means more focus on them and who they are rather than what they can do. This film sort of delves into that, but could've done more with Carol showing more emotion when her "home worlds" were wrecked. It could've also shown more of her wanting to not be known as "The Annihilator".

Entaglement of their powers could also use a little better explaination as well. I get Carol, and Monica at opposite ends of the portal, but how Kamala gets involed instead of Dar-Benn, when it was the Dar-Benn's bracelet is sort of sketchy. Also did Kamala end up with both bracelets?

Overall I feel like with some different editing, and a couple minor better explainations there's a really good movie in there.

I liked Eternals but I also wouldn't particularly care if we never got another Eternals movie, especially if it means we get X-men sooner. Actually that's sort of the problem with all of the MCU's new characters that have been introduced since Captain Marvel...just no deep emotional investment in them. If we see them again, neat, I'll happily watch their next adventure on Disney+, and if not, whatever, because what I really want is some frikkin X-men for god's sake.

Eternals in hindsight, is pretty much disposable. A sequel isn't coming, or at least anytime soon, and none of its characters have appeared after it was released. I doubt Disney is even going to consider an Eternals 2 because of the recent boX office shortcomings. Maybe we would see Sersi and the rest in Avengers? But that doesn't eXciting compare to F4/X-Men and the other familiar characters including Carol Danvers.

They should have just released Captain Marvel 2 two years ago, it wouldn't have flopped at that time.

I think they needed a better plan with the Marvels and Captain Marvel in particular. At this point the most interesting thing you could do with Captain Marvel...is use her to give Rogue her powers! The real issue with her is that she is so broken. Superman can be the same but it didn't take anyone long to figure that out. Thus kryptonite! Plus going all out with him being a pillar of good means he cares and you can hurt him by putting people that aren't invulnerable at risk. Problem is that while Carol isn't pure evil...she's mostly a selfish character. That's fine. But if she's invulnerable then...you can't really hurt her on any level.

No matter how quickly they got out a Captain Marvel 2, without a plan it would have failed. It wouldn't have flopped as hard as this, but it wouldn't have come close to the first movie. The power of being treated like essential reading for Endgame is overwhelming. But honestly with good planning it might have been fine. The problem is the lack of planning. The MCU used to be very careful about it's continuity, but these days they don't care anymore. The issues with the Kree even make movies like Guardians of the Galaxy make less sense. Someone needed to sit down and figure out what Captain Marvel was doing for 3 decades and make sure it fit with a general outline for future events.

It's a shame. Sure, I didn't like Captain Marvel in her first movie (she did happily massacre people that were no less brainwashed than she herself had been). But there was room to build. Sadly they didn't. The villain in this movie was just bland, forgettable, and did things that made little sense.

Hmmm I still think if this came out in 2021 or 2022 earlier, it wouldn't have performed this badly.

Its just crazy in a matter of months, in North America, Marvel Studios went from having a film grossing $200 to $350 million to less than $85 million. Worldwide, its even worse - $204 million worldwide. Thats just what Quantumania earned in North America alone in comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"