The New Improved Official Stupid Question Thread Marvel Edition

Discussion in 'Marvel Comics' started by Darthphere, Jul 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eris discordia

2. X Registered

Destroyed him if I remember correctly. Then again, Luke Cage has too.

3. Ahura Mazda Registered

How is it that the Hulk lost a battle against Wolverine? Considering the mutual powers each have how is it even possible?

Correct me but i always thought the Hulk was faster as well as stronger and that the healing factor is even a little better. I realise this is stupid but I just do not understand it.

4. X Registered

And when did Wolverine beat The Hulk... :rolleyes:

5. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

You're welcome. Thank euroq too, I got the link from his sig. :)

6. Ahura Mazda Registered

I thought I read that somewhere that he got all cut up. I do not know as much as you obviously but I thought I rememberred once reading that he lost or tied against Wolverine which seemed extremely strange to me.

7. X Registered

Okay, sorry about being a bit rude early. I've chilled out a bit so here goes.

The Hulk is fast, but Wolverine is a lot more agile. The Hulk can jump, well, hundreds of miles per hour. He was once clocked in casually jumping almost 500 miles per hour I believe. Once he gets running, he can go 300+. But close quartes, Wolverine has the advantage. The Hulk can punch insanly fast and what not, but Wolverines fully capable of dodging and what not.

Anyhow, Wolverine has never been able to cut The Hulk under his own power. Once, Wolverine had updates via Apocalypse, strength enhancing and some armor and so on. Even then he cooulden't cut The Hulk, The Hulk kept accidently using his own power against himself, cutting him. The Hulk/Wolverine fights have usually ended with the first solid punch The Hulks lands. Once, he nailed Wolverine and punched him out of state, into another. That was written by Ennis, so it shoulden't be taken too seriously.

Another time, The Hulk put Wolvie down with the first punch he landed. Wolverine put up a decent fight, slashing The Hulks face and sticking his claws in his mouth, but The Hulk then decked Wolverine and sent him flying at terminal velocity into the air, through some trees. The Hulk was ready to crush Wolverines head in his hand when some girl saved him. Didnt fight The Hulk or anything, just stopped it. Wolverine almost got pulled in half during that fight as well, via The Hulk.

In their first fight, The Hulk nearly took Wolverines head off with a punch that barely connected. A lot of people have misconceptions that Wolvies always done really good against The Hulk and all, it's just not true. Hope that helped. :)

8. Ahura Mazda Registered

On the Hulk vs. Wolverine these are the examples I had heard about on the following website:

http://www.incrediblehulk.com/wolverineff.html

"Incredible Hulk #340:
    The Hulk is behind Wolverine and jumps at him. Wolverine turns around and manages to cut him. Wolverine says that he has changed and walks away, not wanting to fight. The Hulk keeps following him, bothering him until Wolverine finally snaps and gives in to the beastal side and fights the Hulk. Wolverine cuts and cuts until the Hulk falls, with a gaping chest hole. He turns around and walks away. The Hulk, his healing factor kicking in, gets up and starts the fight again. The two go at it but Clay Quartermain breaks up the fight before a final winner can be determined.

Issue 454:
    Wolverine finds the Hulk leading a tribe in the Savage Land and attacks him, slashing him in the throat. The Hulk thinks he is cut until he realizes that Wolverine has bone claws. The Hulk and Wolverine battle, with the Hulk having a pretty clear advantage until he clenches his chest, in pain over being the focal point of the Heroes Reborn Universe. A dinosaur grabs the Hulk, shakes him,and throws him away. The two warring tribes attack the dinosaur and kill it. Wolverine slaps the Hulk on the back and the Hulk just falls over, unconscious."

My question was I do not understand how it could have even been a match up.

9. Ahura Mazda Registered

Just ignore my last post Mr. X and thanks for the comprehensive reply.

10. X Registered

I'm pretty sure that fight didn't take place in Incredible Hulk #340. I think it took place in a Wolverine comic, almost positive. The Hulk kept cutting himself under his own strength as well. And as I said, Wolverine had enhancements. In #454 The Hulk was dieing from his seperation from Banner if I remember correctly.

11. X Registered

No problem, and thank you. :)

12. Tropico Crusty, ol' curmudgeon.

Here we go, directly from the Mutant Massacre TPB:

"He cannot bleed, in the accepted human sense." Magneto says softly. "Instead, he loses energy through those blast points. His condition is far worse than I suspected, it's a miracle he survived this long."

13. X Registered

Not sure. Why, is it a stretch to think Spidey woulden't destroy him? :confused:

14. bat_in_d_hat Holiday

uumm...guys i know this sounds reeaaallly stupid but i haven't been "normally" collecting comics as before and i have been out of touch especially the terms...so forgive my intrusion but i just wondered what the hell the term "canon" or "cannon" means? i came across it as i was reading this thread..can someone enlighten me? thank you so very much!

gracias tanto los caballeros!!

15. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

Canon means it's an official part of comic history. For example: the death of Gwen Stacy is canon. It's affected pretty much everything about Spider-Man's life since it happened, right up into the present. What If? stories, on the other hand, are not canon. They're explained away by alternate realities and such. Occasionally Marvel will choose to just disregard something that was written before, effectively striking it from the character's canon. They did this with John Byrne's Spider-Man: Chapter One because of the nauseating, mind-numbing s***tiness of it.

16. DBM Mad Scientist

This is my kind of thread. I'm going to read through all the questions and see if I can add anything when I have time.

17. euroq Registered

Heh, even Black Cat beat Sabretooth.

18. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

Big fan of stupid questions, huh?

Wow, that one must've been right up your alley... :o

19. Ahura Mazda Registered

Just a question as I am a fan of mythology - Was mythological history validated in the marvel comics and in that sense I mean the twelve labours of Heracles (Hercules) or certain feats of Thor (such as drinking part of the ocean or lifting part of the Midgard Serpent) still valid in the Marvel universe.

If they were then how come they are so different in personality or appearance (unshaven Thor) as their mythological counterparts. Also in that light what happenned to all the mythological Greek Gods - the Norse ones are very promoinent already.

Sorry but I was just wondering so if anybody could enlighten me I would appreciate it.

20. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

As far as I know, the original mythology holds true in the Marvel universe except for a few differences. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is that the sorceress Circe, who met Odysseus and his crew and transformed them into pigs, was actually the Eternal Sersi.

Hercules did complete his twelve labors, but his godhood was later revoked by Zeus, leaving him a mortal with all his super-strength still intact.

Thor's character is presumably much different from the mythological version because Stan Lee didn't want a stupid, murderous oaf as one of Marvel's premiere heroes. Instead, Thor embodies the heroic ideal more than the viking one. Part of it may be due to the fact that Odin kept slapping Thor in human bodies to teach him humility (Sigurd, Siegfried, Don Blake) and bonding him to humans for similar reasons (Eric Masterson, Jake Olson until Olson's spirit was finally released and allowed to go to Heaven). I don't think that's a logical explanation myself, since we've seen flashbacks of Thor and the Asgardians and they all seem relatively the same as they are in the present. Chalk it up to creative license, I guess.

Edit: I forgot; although Lee seemed to intend for Thor to be more of a heroic character than a warrior one, Thor has evolved into more of the mythological warrior role thanks in large part to Walt Simonson. The current Thor does fight in wars with the other Asgardians and he does kill, he just realizes that today's standards in civilized society are much less tolerant of that sort of thing. So he doesn't go around killing small-time criminals in the process of robbing banks, but he will kill a major threat if he/she/it is too dangerous to allow to live.

21. Ahura Mazda Registered

Ok thanks for that but if that is the case what happenned to all the other boisterous Greek Gods - I know Hercules is not that popular but still up to the Trojan War all the Gods were very active - Of course, I could answer this myself by quoting the two magic words you used "creative license"

Thanks for the response Corp (if I may call you that), it does clear it up for me.

22. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

You may, and I'm pretty sure the other Greek gods aren't seen too much because they don't come to Earth very often. Like Odin, Zeus decreed that the time of the gods was over and that they were no longer allowed to directly influence mortal affairs. That's why the Aesir usually hang out in Asgard and Thor only sees them when he goes to Asgard. Same with the Greek gods, only we see them less because Hercules doesn't have a comic like Thor does. Ares and Pluto have attempted to take over the world a couple of times, but outside of that most of the Greek gods are rarely seen due to Zeus' law.

23. Darthphere Kneel before 'Drox!

We should make these thread in conjuction with you Info website thread.

The official stupid question thread powered by DBM. :D ;)

Check the first post.

24. Darthphere Kneel before 'Drox!

BUMP- cmon guys more stupid questions.

25. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

Is Ultron still made of adamantium, or was that a one-time deal?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.