The Official Ant-Man News and Speculation Thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
With BvS out of the way, Ant-Man could very well end up as the third highest grossing film of 2015 now.

No chance. You've got AoU, Star Wars 7, James Bond 24, final Hunger Games, Fast & Furious 7, Ted 2, Mission Impossible 5, Despicable Me Minions, Kung Fu Panda 3, The Good Dinosaur (Pixar), Jurassic World.

I think a real good target box office-wise for Ant Man would be Thor-ish numbers - $180m US, $450m WW.

It probably helps but ultimately Ant-Man has to stand on its own merits if it wants to make big at the box office and entice audiences.

Absolutely. BvS out of the way means AM can better meet it's own potential.

Last edited:
:o

1525035_775846052429093_1624253904_n.jpg

Wright has said this would be more comedic than regular Marvel movies so I wouldn't be surprised to see a villain as nutty as Porcupine show up, and have him sport a costume as outlandish as what it was in comics.

I sort of want that can of worms opened in the MCU at some point, loud costumes being worn shamelessly.

Or Egghead for that matter.

Man the plot for this sounds so interesting and unique.

Yeah, i like that they are introducing the concept of legacy characters to the MCU.

Last edited:
Nothing new here. We were the only place on the internet that knew about that interview apparently (other than /co/).

after the last issue of Fraction's Fantastic Four, it could easily read "Because I beat them just like I beat Doctor Doom." Lang kicked his @ss.

on another note, it was fitting that Batman vs Superman was scheduled to be around the same time as Ant-man. one of the jokes in the movie 'Role Models' was that Rudd's character looked like Ben Affleck.

It's not likely, while I hope it does well alot of other franchises are having sequels or reboots supposedly to be released in 2015 which will gather a huge audience.
What films can challange it other than Star Wars and Avengers 2?

No chance. You've got AoU, Star Wars 7, James Bond 24, final Hunger Games, Fast & Furious 7, Ted 2, Mission Impossible 5, Despicable Me Minions, Kung Fu Panda 3, The Good Dinosaur (Pixar), Jurassic World.
Films in bold haven't got a chance!
Seriously, how can you even think that Ted 2 will earn more money?

People will go out to see Fast and Furious 7 because it's Paul Walker's final film and they will want to see what happens to his character. Will it top the Avengers 2? That is unlikely, but it could come close to topping Ant Man, although I think Ant Man edges it out in the end. It's a popular franchise that was struck with tragedy.

i'll enjoy it no matter how good or bad it does, at the box office. but this does have the curiousity factor going for it. Rudd and Douglas is an odd combination. then combine it with "wtf is Ant-Man." and there will be some people who will go see this simply because of the connection to the MCU.

Does anyone think SHIELD will play some part in the movie? Because remember Pym was suppose to be the guy that Erik Selvig mentioned in Thor.

It's easy, I looked at the past numbers of those franchises and compared them to what I think AM will make.

Fast 6 made $788m WW. The franchise is at an all time high and one of the stars just died.
Ted made $549m WW, and was well received so I think it'll hold around those numbers.
Despicable Me 2 made $954m, and people f****** love the minions, a film devoted to them will make bank.
Kung Fu Panda 2 made $665m, up from KFP1's $631m.

The Good Dinosaur is from Pixar so should should at least hit $500m (last time they dipped below that was 2006 with Cars), if it's really good it's huge.

Like I said, $450m WW is a good target for Ant Man, and that's not enough to overtake any of the films I mentioned, let alone "3rd highest of the year".

Does anyone think SHIELD will play some part in the movie? Because remember Pym was suppose to be the guy that Erik Selvig mentioned in Thor.

Pym could be working for SHIELD at this point. That would lend credence to the theory that SHIELD creates Ultron based on some of Pym's research.

this is all speculation/wishful thinking on my part. but i'm expecting an antagonistic relationship between Pym and S.H.I.E.L.D. if Lang and/or Janet do end up as part of the avengers initiative, i'm expecting it to be as Pym's eyes and ears.

It's easy, I looked at the past numbers of those franchises and compared them to what I think AM will make.

Fast 6 made $788m WW. The franchise is at an all time high and one of the stars just died.
Ted made $549m WW, and was well received so I think it'll hold around those numbers.
Despicable Me 2 made $954m, and people f****** love the minions, a film devoted to them will make bank.
Kung Fu Panda 2 made $665m, up from KFP1's $631m.

The Good Dinosaur is from Pixar so should should at least hit $500m (last time they dipped below that was 2006 with Cars), if it's really good it's huge.

Like I said, $450m WW is a good target for Ant Man, and that's not enough to overtake any of the films I mentioned, let alone "3rd highest of the year".

Agreed, 400-500 million would be great for Ant-mans first foray into the MCU. Can't wait for this film! Douglas casting has me super intrigued. Plus Rudd is one of the funniest comedic actors around right now.

Agreed, 400-500 million would be great for Ant-mans first foray into the MCU. Can't wait for this film! Douglas casting has me super intrigued. Plus Rudd is one of the funniest comedic actors around right now.

i'm kind of hoping that they force Scott Lang to adopt Brian Fantana's signature look in the books.

so how long ago do you think Wright knew that Rudd and Douglas were on board? i remember all that hoopla about Rudd being seen hanging out with the other Avengers actor way way back when. i wonder if they knew way back then.

so how long ago do you think Wright knew that Rudd and Douglas were on board? i remember all that hoopla about Rudd being seen hanging out with the other Avengers actor way way back when. i wonder if they knew way back then.

I'd say Rudd was already on the hook at the 2013 Oscars where he was seen palling backstage with the Avenger cast. Douglas, I'd bet was just within the last few weeks or so.

I would rather Pym work for the CIA although it wouldn't bother me if he did work for Shield.

I'm not a fan of every hero working for SHIELD as it makes the MCU look small. You can make a connected universe without multiple characters all working for one group.

Variety said
Marvel had pursued Douglas early on for the part, but the actor was cautious until sources said he had a change of heart over the holidays.

I think his kids convinced him to do it in the end as Douglas mentioned his 13 year old son being buzzed about it.

I would rather Pym work for the CIA although it wouldn't bother me if he did work for Shield.

I'm not a fan of every hero working for SHIELD as it makes the MCU look small. You can make a connected universe without multiple characters all working for one group.

Good point.
Plus, SHIELD's involvement with Castillo and faux (or real) Cuba implies that supervillains would have to be involved. If it's straight-up Cold War espionage against the Communists, SHIELD doesn't have to have a role in that at all; CIA would suffice.

to be fair, the end of the first Avengers movie made it pretty clear that they don't work for S.H.I.E.L.D. that was the point of Maria Hill questioning their reliability. Black Widow and Hawkeye (definitely) are probably SHIELD; although Natasha seems kind of freelance. Stark was rejected. Banner was only there as a consultant and was "in the wind" after the chitauri fight. Rogers started out just working for the army. and he probably won't be a S.H.I.E.L.D agent by the end of Winter Soldier. I think Rhodey is Airforce.

that said, I'm all about Pym being affiliated with some other intelligence agency. in the books, he was a scientist getting military funding.

Black Widow is definitely SHIELD.

doesn't mean she isn't freelance. that mission that she was pulled from in the beginning of Avengers didn't seem SHIELD-related. I think her association with the organization has something to do with Barton not killing her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"