The Official Ant-Man News and Speculation Thread - Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really hoping that Marvel is keeping the Wasp under wraps because I want Lilly to become a superhero in this movie.

Yeah, because we've seen two super soldiers, one with a shield and the other with a bionic arm going at it hardcore so many times. And we've seen gritty, one shot fight scenes done so well in so many other TV shows.

*And can you show me another live action comic book adaptation where a group of superheroes work together to save a city, and the camera zooms through the action showcasing each hero in one, long shot?

You're right I forgot about that one shot in Avengers.

That Thomas the tank engine bit is pure gold.
I posted here earlier how I hoped Peyton Reed and Marvel would fully commit to the premise and really try to do something new and different. That trailer made me pretty hopeful that is going to happen.

The kids are gonna be all over this.

Wow blown away by the trailer. I love the way it embrace's the silliness and owns it instead trying to make it "dark and gritty". Low expectation definitely helped. Hopefully this will put a rest to Edgar Wright fanboys.

The fx team did a great job with the power effects. That shrinking punch that Yellowjacket throws has burned into my brain I've watched it so many times. The bit w/giant YJ in the background blasting at tiny Scott is pretty insane too.

No I did not enjoy the train scene. /lies

Really excited for this movie.

The train thing was ****ing hilarious.

I'm really hoping that Marvel is keeping the Wasp under wraps because I want Lilly to become a superhero in this movie.

As I see it, her doing the Wasp thing is one of two aces up the sleeve of this movie that they've not played yet. The other being the Giant-man option that the Pym particles can also achieve.

Loved the trailer, the humour seems great and I really like they way they are using Ant-Man's abilities.

If there are giant ants, I am happy they DIDN'T show them in the trailer.

I still really want to see this in a Marvel movie one day
dVgeCyp.gif

Just watching the Kimmel episode, see and people thought they were forgetting about Ant-Man

Frosty said on AMC that he's heard the film turned out pretty good too.

Why not just make this a pure comedy without the typical raunchiness and dick jokes we've grown accustomed to from Rudd and his Apatow crew? I don't get why every Marvel film needs to be a generic action movie. Guardians embraced its tone; Ant-Man seems to be all over the place. This looks like Marvels biggest miss since TIH at least in terms of tone. TIH was all action and poor story, Ant-Man seems to have a good story, but the execution is lacking for me. It suffering from a boring origin story, another lackluster villain, and below average writing.

Last edited:
Why not just make this a pure comedy without the typical raunchiness and dick jokes we've grown accustomed to from Rudd and his Apatow crew? I don't get why every Marvel film needs to be a generic action movie. Guardians embraced its tone; Ant-Man seems to be all over the place. This looks like Marvels biggest miss since TIH at least in terms of tone. TIH was all action and poor story, Ant-Man seems to have a good story, but the execution is lacking for me. It suffering from a boring origin story, another lackluster villain, and below average writing.

Remember the tone in IM3 trailers? remember the tone in the actual movie?

You can't predict tone from trailers

Ant-Man seems to have the exact same tone as Marvels other movies as far as I can tell.

Comedy action adventure with a few dramatic moments.

Ant-Man seems to have the exact same tone as Marvels other movies as far as I can tell.

Comedy action adventure with a few dramatic moments.

That's the problem. That tone didn't work for Thor 2. IM3 was a solid, entertaining film IMO, and tonally consistent. Seems like they are trying to play it both ways with this one. It should have been a ridiculous over the top superhero comedy with less of the drama and drag. Maybe it will still be that, but I don't see that here. I felt that Kick-Ass was in a similar bind, trying to make serious points in a completely silly and asinine world.

IM3 seemed tonal inconsistent to me. One minute Tony's having panic and attacks or watching his former lover get murdered and the next he is cracking one liners. The first Iron Man film had the most consistent tone for me. Edgar Wright always compared his Ant-Man to Iron Man 1 and said the tone would be in line with that film.

Ant-Man still takes place in the Marvel shared universe. You can't make a film and play it completely as a broad comedy with no levity while expecting it to fit with the other movies. Marvel may use the likes of Rudd and Lily's characters in future Marvel films and they can't have them be one note comedy characters alongside multi-layered characters.

The tone seems to fit somewhere between Iron Man 1 and Guardians Of The Galaxy which is fine.

Good to see this trailer turning some heads, and changing some minds! I think if this movie is good, it can be a Guardians level success.

Wow so you've seen the movie? Interesting how the origin, villain, and writing is all "poor" as you say because nothing we have seen so far really suggests that.

I've never been thrilled at the idea of an Ant-Man movie, but I thought that was a pretty great trailer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"