The Official Ant-Man News and Speculation Thread - Part 8

Discussion in 'Ant-Man' started by Thread Manager, Jun 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theinfernoman That guy

I didn't think there were any Civil War set pics of Ant-Man in suit?

2. guy66657 Registered

Were there set pics of Scott's suit for Civil War?

3. Webfoot Hero West Coaster

I don't believe so. The only ones we've seen of Rudd are him arriving on set and talking with some of the other actors. I think Rudd will mostly be filming on the indoor sets so we won't get a whole lot of looks at him.

4. Whiskey Tango Registered

The Pymslap is a meme that needs to die in a fire.

5. DJ Kornphlake Registered

I love that this is a real ad.

6. DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs Registered

Could've sworn I saw a pic of him in the suit in the CW thread but I must have got confused with the pics of him just on set. I'm sure it will be tweaked for the film but I doubt it will be too crazy, could be wrong though

7. theinfernoman That guy

There were rumors that he would have a modernized suit in Civil War.

8. DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs Registered

Well,

He did say they were going to finish the Wasp prototype so I assume he may want to update the old suit with all the new stuff he's learned. Also how cool would it be to have a giant Michael Douglas smashing stuff in CW? :woot:

9. DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs Registered

The Ant-Man Trailer Remade with Kids and Goofy Special Effects

[YT]x9qSiu0sQjs[/YT]

10. Macho Mantis Registered

:lmao:

Brilliant! I'd love to see those kids remake every Marvel trailer!

11. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

I don't think the MCU Hank Pym would even hit his wife. Well, certainly not anymore than some of the other characters in the MCU are capable of going to dark places (eg Iron Man). This Pym has spent decades trying to save Janet from her Quantum of Solace, and also the whole reason he has hidden the Pym particle technology is because he realises that this kind of power can corrupt. He is also remorseful of having lost Janet after she sacrificed herself in a Bucky-type "death". And he doesn't have something to prove like comic Pym did by creating all these different identities as a result of a low self esteem. He doesn't even want to be Ant-Man anymore.

Darren Cross represents the darker side of what Pym could become, and also more of what the Yellowjacket persona was in the comics. He is the one who is corruptible and capable of violence towards others (as shown when threatening Hank and Hope, and also Cassie Lang).

So Marvel have effectively syphoned off that aspect of Pym's personality and poured it into a separate character with Darren Cross.

And anyway, classic Pym in the 616 comics was not a habitual wife abuser as discussed earlier, and certainly didn't strike his wife anymore than Reed Richards did (who did it deliberately).

#961 Dark Raven, Jul 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  12. terry78 baby, that chicken was dry...real dry

Well, this Pym is still kind of volatile if you push his buttons as you saw in a few scenes, so it was implied that fragments of that were left intact.

13. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

Is he anymore volatile than Peggy Carter, who beat up all these SSR agents throughout her series? or Coulson, who was considered a potential threat? Or Skye, who came into possession of new-found powers and could literally erupt at any moment? Or Black Widow, who has a shady past with plenty of red in her ledger?

Pym is certainly not Grant Ward or Cal Zabo type material.

14. chamber-music Infinity Ammo

Ultimately these films are family friendly entertainment for the masses.

Kevin Feige already said Disney isn't going to touch dark stuff like alcoholism or domestic abuse so the whole point is moot.

Certain storyline's are unnecessary. Not every plot from the comic needs to be adapted. I have no desire to see desire to see Carol Danvers raped and become an alcoholic in a Captain Marvel film.

Leave the serious theme stuff for the Netflix shows. They are better suited to address those issues on those shows because it fits their tone.

15. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

There was never a hint of this sort of thing in the early comics (circa 1960s), but the movies don't have to follow the comics and have often digressed from those storylines. I'm personally okay with that as I don't see the comics in the same light as War and Peace, Les Miserables, David Copperfield, and even Tolkien's writings (Sorry Stan and Jack, but Tolstoy you're not and never tried to be....to your credit).

But, speaking of violent behavior, one of my favorite scenes from CA:TFA was when Peggy fired off some rounds at Caps shield after she caught him kissing Natalie Dormer. Of course SHE wasn't being aggressive; she was just showing him how the shield worked. :o Though, I daresay he looked just a little bit taken aback at her demonstration. :funny:

What's really funny (funny odd and not funny haha) is how we think of some aggressive acts as funny and some not......

16. Darkraid Registered

Its pretty damn good I must say.

Marvel would know where to find these kids when they run out of cash.

17. Macho Mantis Registered

Yes. Like when Hope punches Scott and everyone laughs. Would anyone laugh if it was Scott punching Hope? I Hope not.

18. Comic Book Guy Registered

Does anyone know why I can find IMAX 3D tickets for this movie??

19. terry78 baby, that chicken was dry...real dry

Women hitting men is funny, it's always been a comedy staple. The only time it's not funny is if she actually does some damage that is serious, then he's within his rights to retaliate.

20. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

That's what I was getting at. Punching someone who is perceived to be stronger isn't as frowned upon as the opposite. Usually this goes along gender lines and with domestic abuse being such a huge problem, it makes just about everyone very, very uncomfortable. The reality is that men suffer from domestic abuse also and while we can laugh during a movie when getting smacked around is put in a certain light, we need to be careful to not desensitize people to this problem.

As I'm writing, I think it would be awesome for the Marvel Superheroes/heroines to do a public service announcement regarding domestic violence. Something along the lines of getting Chris Hemsworth, Evans, Scarlett, etc. to talk about their roles in the movies and emphasizing that movies are make believe. Domestic violence is not.

21. R_Hythlodeus Nerd Supreme

because the movie is released in IMAX 3D

22. Whiskey Tango Registered

This is the best thing I have ever seen. So weird.

23. AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

Was meant to be seeing this tonight and my friend had to back out :csad: was for a good reason though so can't be mad at him, we are going next week instead, really looking forward to this though.

24. RockSP MYTH SMITH ˆž∞!!!

I wouldn't say that. He implied that he couldn't be him anymore...

25. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

I think it was stated; not even implied.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.