The Official Ant-Man News and Speculation Thread - Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow so you've seen the movie? Interesting how the origin, villain, and writing is all "poor" as you say because nothing we have seen so far really suggests that.

My friend, I have to disagree with you. The writing is on the wall. There is nothing (just going by the trailer obviously) to me that indicates this is overcoming origin narrative fatigue. There is nothing remotely interesting about the villain. Another corporate tycoon, misguided idealist. And the one liners and self deprecating humor about the very concept of an Ant-Man film seems overdone. Again, if the humor works, it's going to be a good film, but there doesn't seem to be enough of that here, aside from the train set piece which revealed too much. Seems like they are intent on giving the film away every time out.

Still looks pretty underwhelming for me. I don't think it'll be bad, but I don't think it'll be anything too impressive either.

Well can't please everyone.

Last edited:
^ The general consensus on this site doesn't seem too far away from that either. I don't know if I could say the film has as much hype for it going in as the other Marvel films, at least from the perspective of the fanbase.

My friend, I have to disagree with you. The writing is on the wall. There is nothing (just going by the trailer obviously) to me that indicates this is overcoming origin narrative fatigue. There is nothing remotely interesting about the villain. Another corporate tycoon, misguided idealist. And the one liners and self deprecating humor about the very concept of an Ant-Man film seems overdone. Again, if the humor works, it's going to be a good film, but there doesn't seem to be enough of that here, aside from the train set piece which revealed too much. Seems like they are intent on giving the film away every time out.
Again, it's odd you've drummed up that much negativity from a two minute trailer. Saying something is "underwhelming" is one thing, but saying that the origin is boring, the villain is lackluster and the writing is below average, when, again, you haven't seen the final movie, is a bit much.
Sounds like you've already made your mind up about the project no matter how the final product turns out.
^ The general consensus on this site doesn't seem too far away from that either. I don't know if I could say the film has as much hype for it going in as the other Marvel films, at least from the perspective of the fanbase.
To be fair, an Ant-man movie would never be as exciting as any other film in Marvel's slate. At the worst I think this movie will be an inconsequential, fun cherry on top of an otherwise flawless year for Marvel.
For the record I do have my trepidations about this movie, but none of them come from the trailer we got yesterday. The first teaser disappointed me somewhat, but that trailer made up for it.

Last edited:
Are we going to be be resigned to the latter statement for the rest of PIII? "(Captain Marvel/BP/Dr. Strange) was never going to be as big as..." While that's obviously true, we have yet to see a contrasting style in these solo films. Thor should have been a more philosophical, drama intensive series. Captain America needs to have political commentary in a modern context. Iron Man needs to be a little bit of everything for everyone. Thor did not achieve this for me personally. I just feel Marvel is too wrapped up in the consistency of the universe that all these films start losing their way of what they should be individually. Ant-Man shouldn't need to open with a serious Michael Douglas monologue. I thought Douglas signed on because he would finally have something different to work with. You line that up across a contrasting, quipping Rudd, and it implies to me the film is dependent on co-chemistry instead of solid writing. Will Pym be totally lacking in jocularity juxtaposed to Lang's brevity? That's relying too much on your talent and not enough on the vision and the script.

Last edited:
@Flint Marko I also feel like that's what Marvel is aiming for. Given the whole film was Wright's pet project in the first place, it feels like they tried to salvage as much of its quality as possible so it doesn't perform poorly, then move on. I remember saying how the first teaser made it look like a Phase 1 film with better effects. I still feel like that's the case with the trailer.

Or to sun it up in simpler terms, I don't feel like this is Marvel at their best and they kinda seem to know that. If they could have started the whole idea from the beginning, I suspect it would have looked very different (even if it still featured Scott Lang).

My feeling is , is that when the first teaser trailer came out it was pretty underwhelming and dramatic , this time they tried to lighten it up

My guess is the movie it self will come in some where in the middle

This movie follows Age Of Ultron , and before Captain America : Civil War , both of which could come across as kinda dark

Ant-Man in between , might be just what the Doctor ordered , Marvel Lite

@Flint Marko I also feel like that's what Marvel is aiming for. Given the whole film was Wright's pet project in the first place, it feels like they tried to salvage as much of its quality as possible so it doesn't perform poorly, then move on. I remember saying how the first teaser made it look like a Phase 1 film with better effects. I still feel like that's the case with the trailer.

Or to sun it up in simpler terms, I don't feel like this is Marvel at their best and they kinda seem to know that. If they could have started the whole idea from the beginning, I suspect it would have looked very different (even if it still featured Scott Lang).
I can't exactly disagree, but I'm hesitant to fill in the blanks like that and make assumptions about Marvel's intent/expectations with this. At the end of the day it's a $200 million dollar blockbuster with bankable stars, I'll wait to see if they really gave it their all or just tried to crank it out and have it in theaters by the release date. I certainly hope that is not the case, and everything I've seen barring that underwhelming teaser does not make me think that at all, but we'll just have to wait and see.
Again, the way I see it? Worst case scenario this is an inconsequential, fun blip on the radar.
Are we going to be be resigned to the latter statement for the rest of PIII? "(Captain Marvel/BP/Dr. Strange) was never going to be as big as..."
Not really. All of those characters you just mentioned have sizable fan bases within the readership and a unique place in the Marvel universe. Yes they are unknowns, but we are comparing them with Ant-man here, a character not that many people really have any affection towards when compared to Dr. Strange, Black Panther Captain Marvel, etc. Especially when you consider that each of those characters is a window into another part of the MCU that we haven't yet seen.

While that's obviously true, we have to see a contrasting style. Thor should have been a more philosophical, drama intensive series. Captain America needs to have political commentary in a modern context. Iron Man needs to be a little bit of everything for everyone. Thor did not achieve this for me personally. I just feel Marvel is too wrapped up in the consistency of the universe that all these films start losing their way of what they should be individually. Ant-Man shouldn't need to open with a serious Michael Douglas monologue. I thought Douglas signed on because he would finally have something different to work with. Will Pym be totally lacking in jocularity now?
I disagree. Marvel's done a good job of diversifying their tone and figuring out what works with most of their characters, Guardians felt different from TWS which felt different from IM 3. They've had their slip ups (I'm not going to defend TDW too hard), but for the most part they have been successful.

I'm in a lecture class right now and I just heard people talk about the Ant-man trailer. Only one guy has actually seen it, but he was talking about how excited he is for it with these girls. The girls said they'd probably see it because of Paul Rudd, but towards the end of the conversation the guy said, "It's Marvel so you know it'll be good" and the girls agreed.

EDIT: Been texting a friend of mine who is a fan of comic book movies but has always been skeptical about Ant-man just because of the concept, here was his reaction to the trailer:
Wooooow the ant man trailer is nothing short of brilliant
I didn't see how they could possibly make the world's dumbest super hero cool but I would see that movie...marvel keeps blowing my mind

Last edited:
All I know is all or most of the reactions I've seen online for the trailer seems pretty positive, I think this might surprise people.

First let me say!

1.) Have only seen 5 Episodes of 'Daredevil'
2.) Have not seen 'Avengers: Age of Ultron'

But one is super dark and intense and the other's climax has the potential to be emotional, dark and intense setting the scene for 'Civil War'.

That being said...on a warm, sunny, summer July Day...after living in the intense, dark, dramatic and emotional MCU...

I just think...that a lighter, funnier, 'Ant-Man' might just be what I need to take a breath and relax and have fun.

You know...before Civil War and Heroes start fighting each other and dying in 2016.

I think a comedy will be a welcome breather.

Bring on 'Ant-Man'!

On that note, I do understand how tonally jarring it would be to follow up Ultron with a pure comedy film, so you need that balance. But this is looking like a misfire based on the production and other bits of info we have already.

I'm in a lecture class right now and I just heard people talk about the Ant-man trailer. Only one guy has actually seen it, but he was talking about how excited he is for it with these girls. The girls said they'd probably see it because of Paul Rudd, but towards the end of the conversation the guy said, "It's Marvel so you know it'll be good" and the girls agreed.

What did they say about the FF movie? LOL

I really don't understand how anyone can really think this film will be "inconsequential". At the very least, it's introducing major character for the first time, one of whom will undoubtedly be an Avenger soon enough.

If you want to talk "inconsequential", look at Thor:TDW. I like that film well enough, but the only things that occurred that were of any ongoing importance is the death of a relatively minor character, and placing Loki on the throne off-screen.

What did they say about the FF movie? LOL

From the GA's perspective?

Probably..."Did you see the Fantastic Four trailer? Looks dark and gritty! Plus, there's that guy from that drum movie and Divergent...he's pretty cool. And it's Marvel, so you know it'll be good!"

:doh:

I thought most the trailer looked pretty intense , right up to the toy train scene , which seems to be what most people are focusing on , considering that scene will take up a whole three second of the entire film

Kind of reminded me of the Dance Off scene from Guardians of the Galaxy were the whole movie just comes to a dead stop

dance-off-gotg.jpg

The over analysis of this movie is hilarious. General audiences mostly just want to be entertained. If they can sit in a movie theatre for 2 hours and have a good time then they will mostly be happy.

How well they know the characters, how this fits in with the other Marvel movies, ect is irrelevant.

If audiences were really put off by genre fatigue then we wouldn't be seeing numerous sequels every year making money while rehashing the plot from the previous movie.

People turn out for Transformers movies, Resident Evil movies and so on despite the the fact most people agree they aren't great films.

I really don't understand how anyone can really think this film will be "inconsequential". At the very least, it's introducing major character for the first time, one of whom will undoubtedly be an Avenger soon enough.

If you want to talk "inconsequential", look at Thor:TDW. I like that film well enough, but the only things that occurred that were of any ongoing importance is the death of a relatively minor character, and placing Loki on the throne off-screen.

The awakening of the aether is pretty consequential, but for the most part I agree with you. TDW was a bit of a waste of both an opportunity to further the greater story arc and of Malekith.

I also agree that Ant-Man will impact the greater MCU significantly. It's introducing a new Avenger, has the potential to impact Civil War, and might be giving us some further backstory on the period of time Hank Pym served as Ant-Man with our rumored [BLACKOUT]Peggy and Howard[/BLACKOUT] cameos.

I'm not a huge fan of 3D , although it has it's place

But this movie in 3D could be pretty cool , I don't know how long Ant-Man spends down in that ant hill , but that could look pretty amazing in 3D , along with a lot of other tight places he gets into

This movie in 3D could be worth it

Last edited:
Holy....well...after seeing the trailer I went from slightly interested in the film to incredibly hyped. It looks freaking amazing!!!! I'm really impressed with how powerful they make Ant Man look! I was wondering how they could make it convincing that he could take on bad guys when all he can do is shrink and they just blew me away.

The awakening of the aether is pretty consequential, but for the most part I agree with you. TDW was a bit of a waste of both an opportunity to further the greater story arc and of Malekith.

I also agree that Ant-Man will impact the greater MCU significantly. It's introducing a new Avenger, has the potential to impact Civil War, and might be giving us some further backstory on the period of time Hank Pym served as Ant-Man with our rumored [BLACKOUT]Peggy and Howard[/BLACKOUT] cameos.

That's the thing , I'm not sure if their introducing a new Avenger , or a old Avengers , sounds like Ant-Man had already been around for a while , I'm still curious to find out what happened to Janet van Dyne

I bet we'll be finding out that Hank Pym was the 2nd official MCU hero after Cap was frozen. They say theres some flashback to the Cold War in the film. Probably Hank on a secret Ant Man mission for SHIELD. So itll connect everything up nicely. Also that new trailer rocks.

I don't see a lot of positive opinion on the net. But I personally loved the trailer. It was fun to watch.

I hope they show more of his world, the ant world to keep the movie distinct from other Marvel films. Looks like it could be as fun as the Guardians of the Galaxy but on a smaller scale.

I bet we'll be finding out that Hank Pym was the 2nd official MCU hero after Cap was frozen. They say theres some flashback to the Cold War in the film. Probably Hank on a secret Ant Man mission for SHIELD. So itll connect everything up nicely. Also that new trailer rocks.

I've been wondering about this, do you know if they hired an actor to play young Pym? Or if some CGI Wizardry will be done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"