The Official Ant-Man News and Speculation Thread - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
It probably is. The way people talk about Wright you'd think he's one of the greatest in the business right now.

Marvel also gave Wright 6 years to make Ant-Man and he couldn't deliver, and in the end his different philosophy with Marvel ultimately resulted in his exit from the movie.

Excuse my ignorance but what has Wright done outside of the Shaun of the Dead trio of silly comedy films that made everyone so sold on this project being so great under his wing?

I don't know much about the new guy either so I'm not biased towards one or the other.

As always it's certainly premature to judge a film off its teaser trailer, but everyone's entitled to their snap decision opinions. I'll wait til I see the actual film to fully judge this like I would with any CBM. My top priority is always it being a good movie first then anything extra is just that.

Scott Pilgrim was his only film that I didn't fall asleep through. Shaun of the dead has it's moments but Hot Fuzz is just stupid. I don't know why people think he would have done such a bang up job. Seems to me he should have expected parts of his story had to change to fit into the MCU and not been a baby about it and made it work after all the time he invested into it

Marvel also gave Wright 6 years to make Ant-Man and he couldn't deliver, and in the end his different philosophy with Marvel ultimately resulted in his exit from the movie.

Because Wright was involved in multiple projects and Ant Man was not a priority for Marvel at the time so they could afford to wait six years. It had nothing to do with him being unable to deliver.

Excuse my ignorance but what has Wright done outside of the Shaun of the Dead trio of silly comedy films that made everyone so sold on this project being so great under his wing?

I don't know much about the new guy either so I'm not biased towards one or the other.

As always it's certainly premature to judge a film off its teaser trailer, but everyone's entitled to their snap decision opinions. I'll wait til I see the actual film to fully judge this like I would with any CBM. My top priority is always it being a good movie first then anything extra is just that.

He has a very specific, kinetic and engaging style that works well with visual gags and action sequences. His scripts and shots tend to be meticulously crafted, favoring dynamic unique visual storytelling that moves things forward instead of having them play out in standard coverage. On the flip side, Reed's body of work is considered more safe and cookie-cutter in terms of overall storytelling - visuals in particular.

This isn't necessarily a bad style; but the idea of two distinct forces (Marvel & Wright) merging on an oddball concept/property that both have passion for was exciting for many. With the switch happening to such a different director mere months before shooting & extensive rewrites from such different writers, there was a certain deflation for fans of the two.

Because Wright was involved in multiple projects and Ant Man was not a priority for Marvel at the time so they could afford to wait six years. It had nothing to do with him being unable to deliver.

That's just what they said to cover up while he was still with Marvel. the gloves came off once they announced he was dropped

People are mad because he's an extremely talented filmmaker who would likely have produced a high quality and unique Ant-Man film who was replaced by a director with mostly bad credits to his name and who is by all accounts fairly generic.

Thanks again!

Another question, how often in these MCU films are the directors visions/inputs factored in? I'm not a huge movie buff and really couldn't tell ya the difference between one directors approach or another's, which is probably why it doesn't seem like such a big deal to me.

I know the guy from IM3 (Shane Black I think) was known for his buddy-cop action type genre and that's what we saw in IM3 in some respects, but is that more Marvel wanting that from the get-go and finding the right director or a director being hired and then bringing their own style/comfort zone into the film?

Then there's the Russo brothers who did mostly indie/comedy type stuff and produced a very well done political thriller type film. So is it the director or the high ups really pulling the strings with regards to how these MCU films end up looking overall?

Scott Pilgrim was his only film that I didn't fall asleep through. Shaun of the dead has it's moments but Hot Fuzz is just stupid. I don't know why people think he would have done such a bang up job. Seems to me he should have expected parts of his story had to change to fit into the MCU and not been a baby about it and made it work after all the time he invested into it

Personally I think Hot Fuzz is his crowning achievement.

1: I honestly don't know what to say to that. Hot Fuzz wasn't stupid. It was very carefully and meticulously crafted and very clever. That seems self-evident to me.

2: The notion that the split was about Wright not wanting to fit the film into the MCU or that he was a baby about it is pure speculation.

That's just what they said to cover up while he was still with Marvel. the gloves came off once they announced he was dropped

What evidence do you have of this cover up? Scheduling like that is not uncommon in Hollywood.

He has a very specific, kinetic and engaging style that works well with visual gags and action sequences. His scripts and shots tend to be meticulously crafted, favoring dynamic unique visual storytelling that moves things forward instead of having them play out in standard coverage. On the flip side, Reed's body of work is considered more safe and cookie-cutter in terms of overall storytelling - visuals in particular.

This isn't necessarily a bad style; but the idea of two distinct forces (Marvel & Wright) merging on an oddball concept/property that both have passion for was exciting for many. With the switch happening to such a different director mere months before shooting & extensive rewrites from such different writers, there was a certain deflation for fans of the two.

I see. Thanks for the very articulate response lol, don't see that much around here! It seems like in concept Wright with Marvel could have been a special thing, shame it didn't work out in the end. But I won't let that sour what we're going to get (not that anyone specifically here is.)

It probably is. The way people talk about Wright you'd think he's one of the greatest in the business right now.

Well, Edgar Wright IS my favorite modern director right now. I think his films have brought me more enjoyment than most summer blockbusters from the past decade. It's disappointing he didn't get his long-awaited chance at Ant-Man, but I'm liking what I am seeing from Marvel's version so far as well.

I see. Thanks for the very articulate response lol, don't see that much around here! It seems like in concept Wright with Marvel could have been a special thing, shame it didn't work out in the end. But I won't let that sour what we're going to get (not that anyone specifically here is.)

The loss of Wright, by itself, doesn't sour me. It's a shame, but it doesn't mean that the project is doomed. A good director leaving does not remove the possibility of the project being good. However, seeing as how the fellow who replaced him is so safe and generic in his style, and seeing as how the change happened mere weeks before filming, which usually does not lead to a good shoot, I'm not optimistic about the film. The lackluster trailer also does not help.

, I can't see how they produced these two uninspiring minutes of people walking around, sounds of drums, and a never-ending speech that says nothing but "you will be a superhero". Jeez, we knew about it before the trailer, thanks!

I think the teaser was for someone that doesn't know the story of ant-man, hence the 'you will be a superhero' discussion.

What evidence do you have of this cover up? Scheduling like that is not uncommon in Hollywood.

I dont feel like googling a bunch of stuff (at work now) but look up interviews and press stuff since after his departure concerning Ant-man

Urgh, I knew if the trailer wasn't a 100% home run that the Wright discussion would start again.

Reed has only made one okay movie, and that was Bring It On, although that was mainly for seeing Kirsten Dunst, Eliza Dushku and Gabrielle Union in cheerleading outfits.

Then again, the Russos made this travesty of a movie:

51%2BfK0MRTcL.jpg

I think the teaser was for someone that doesn't know the story of ant-man, hence the 'you will be a superhero' discussion.

This trailer doesn't give anyone anything they haven't seen before. Besides maybe the shrinking.

The loss of Wright, by itself, doesn't sour me. It's a shame, but it doesn't mean that the project is doomed. A good director leaving does not remove the possibility of the project being good. However, seeing as how the fellow who replaced him is so safe and generic in his style, and seeing as how the change happened mere weeks before filming, which usually does not lead to a good shoot, I'm not optimistic about the film. The lackluster trailer also does not help.

This always seemed to me like a project that Mavel wanted to work by their standards and why in the end they parted ways with Wright. So I think it's a possibility that a lot of Wrights input remained regarding the story and characters, but Marvel possibly didn't like his specific additions and wanted it to be more MCU involved. The new guy may not be much more than a place holder who was willing to work with what they wanted rather than the other way around. Just speculating of course haha. Marvel seems like they have a greater plan for everything and if a person doesn't play ball they're expendable.

This always seemed to me like a project that Mavel wanted to work by their standards and why in the end they parted ways with Wright. So I think it's a possibility that a lot of Wrights input remained regarding the story and characters, but Marvel possibly didn't like his specific additions and wanted it to be more MCU involved. The new guy may not be much more than a place holder who was willing to work with what they wanted rather than the other way around. Just speculating of course haha. Marvel seems like they have a greater plan for everything and if a person doesn't play ball they're expendable.

I think that ignores how important the creative input of a director is. Having a director to just serve as a placeholder can (and usually does) hurt the quality of the film. How well the story and characters play out depends largely on their execution, which is up to the director. I think the video I posted shows the kinds of creative choices in direction that Wright would make and that the current director is less likely to make.

And it's not like good storytelling in an individual installment has never before suffered do to attempts to service the larger plan.

Reed has only made one okay movie, and that was Bring It On, although that was mainly for seeing Kirsten Dunst, Eliza Dushku and Gabrielle Union in cheerleading outfits.

What kind of sick bastard are you?! :o

Kirsten wasn't bad looking 15 years ago.....now, not so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"