The Official Ant-Man News and Speculation Thread - Part 9

They also gotta be careful he doesnt look like Deadshot from Suicide Squad

Taskmaster won't look like Skeletor in his original costume. For a start, it's a skull mask and not an actual skull like Skeletor's, and the rest of his costume looks different.

I think they can get around him looking like Skeletor or Deadshot but not Crossbones.

He wouldn't look like Crossbones. Even Crossbones in the MCU doesn't quite look like comics Crossbones. He looks rather too bulky and cumbersome.

They could use this look.

This is the look I'd want. I don't think they need to worry about him "looking like Deathstroke". They really don't look all that similar at all.

Hells Yeah, Udon Taskmaster was excellent. :up:

(I love classic Tasky's look too but I'm certain they'd go for something more like the Udon mini for a modern film version)

I'm Mexican and Luis wasn't offensive to me AT ALL. Mayimbe's an attention ****e

Luis was based on a real guy Michael Pena knows, so it wasnt some stereotype.

Glad to hear it was #1 again this weekend.

Luis was based on a real guy Michael Pena knows, so it wasnt some stereotype.

Of course he wasn't. Note all the comments about art museums and wine-tastings. It's like el maybe didn't even bother to watch the movie. Thankfully his readers did.

Didn't Pena even show a video of the guy he based Luis on at some interview panel? So it wasn't just a stereotype but more of a replication of an actual person.

The classic taskmaster look is so badass though
dsc_100809___taskmaster_by_cyberborg.jpg

Although I'd be fine with this as long as the colors were more classic
andrew-seto-mcu-taskmaster-01.jpg

I laughed towards the end when Pym opens the door and finds Scott and Hope making out...hahaha...lol so cute.

Luis was offensive in that he was a poorly written character with few redeeming qualities, period. Not because he was a certain racial stereotype.

Luis was offensive in that he was a poorly written character with few redeeming qualities, period. Not because he was a certain racial stereotype.

"Few redeeming qualities"? He was clearly a hit with audiences.
With all due respect, every time I see you discuss a Marvel movie you criticize it heavily. That's all well and good, but why pay to sit through a film that you most likely won't enjoy? You've had so many problems with everything that came before, why go see the 12th installment in a franchise you clearly don't like?
I'm not asking to ruffle any feathers, nor do I have a problem with your criticisms, I'm genuinely curious. I'm not going to pay to see several upcoming films because I know I'm going to leave with nothing good to say about what I just watched. How your spend your time and money is none of my business, but I figured it's a question worth asking.

So because a filmmaker makes general audiences laugh, that makes them a good character?

Not sure why you feel the need to make it personal. I don't criticize Marvel films THIS heavily, and never have. I usually have both positive and negative things to say about them.

There were a few fun/cute moments. Otherwise, this was a pretty lousy movie all around.

Last edited:
So because a filmmaker makes general audiences laugh, that makes them a good character?

It's certainly a "redeeming quality", I would think. He might not have been the most developed character (did he need to be?), but he certainly had charisma.

Not sure why you feel the need to make it personal. I don't criticize Marvel films THIS heavily, and never have. I usually have both positive and negative things to say about them.

There were a few fun/cute moments. Otherwise, this was a pretty lousy movie all around.

I felt it was a fair question based on the posts of yours that I have seen, and I made a point to not sound rude because I know it could come off that way. I wasn't trying to step on any toes. I'm sorry if it came off that way.

It's possible to be both. Just sayin'.

Would you personally consider Luis to be an offensive stereotype?
Speaking of this, there was an interview with T.I. I saw not to long ago that I watched. He described his character to the interviewer (a car-stealing ex-con), who then asked if he found this to be offensive given T.I.'s status as a known convict, and an African American. T.I. basically rolled his eyes at the question. I have to say I agree with that sentiment.

Last edited:
"Few redeeming qualities"? Did you forget about the guard he saved? Do people even watch the films before they come here to complain?

I don't mean morally redeeming. I mean in terms of character-specific traits that make them particuarly unique. I'm talking about the quality of the writing. And I didn't say "none". I said "Few".

He was clearly not a horrible human being. His saving the guard didn't come as a surprise. Heck, it would have been more interesting if he had been someone less interested in the fate of security guards/cops and ended up having a change of heart. But the moment was played as a bumbler almost forgetting he tied a guy up in a dangerous situation. For laughs.

Almost any character could have been put in the plot-device position of punching out and then saving the guard. I don't find his use in this regard particularly interesting. The most interesting thing about his character was his "telephone-style memory", and even that wasn't that great.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"