• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Official Ant-Man News and Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not true. Obviously, we have no idea what Wright and Cornish's most recent (and apparently final) draft looks like, but the original featured an old Hank Pym who was a 1960s era Ant-Man superhero/SHIELD agent. When Lang, a thief (good-hearted one), breaks into Pym's house in the present day, he finds the Ant-Man suit and discovers its powers, and begins using it. Rather than going after him, Pym decides that the kid has some chutzpah and some talent, and becomes a mentor to him.

Pym was very much still a focus of the story.

I might be lynched for this, but I actually prefer this over another generic origin story. Perhaps they'd show Pym's Ant-Man operating in the 60s (maybe some kick-ass intro with Pym) along with Lang in the present. I feel like it opens up a plethora of interesting possibilities. It also makes Fury's statement, "You think you're the only superhero in the world?" make more sense. I think it would give the MCU a broader and richer history instead of having every single superhero start appearing around the same time.

So I ask all the pro-Ant-Man people what should the Ant-Man film be about? I mean there was no way he was fighting Ultron with just Janet, plus Disney isn't going to allow him to beat Janet so what reason is there to even make an Ant-Man film?

Ant-Man faces who Egghead??
It's based on "To Steal An Ant-Man". That storyline doesn't require big villains or such. It's mostly about the moral conflict between Lang and Pym and them going up against an organization. AIM would probably be best for the film and it would be a good chance to introduce MODOK too I guess.

I might be lynched for this, but I actually prefer this over another generic origin story. Perhaps they'd show Pym's Ant-Man operating in the 60s (maybe some kick-ass intro with Pym) along with Lang in the present. I feel like it opens up a plethora of interesting possibilities. It also makes Fury's statement, "You think you're the only superhero in the world?" make more sense. I think it would give the MCU a broader and richer history instead of having every single superhero start appearing around the same time.

No need for lynching.
It might well turn out to be an interesting story. But for people that love the Pym character it's a big letdown.

I'm with you.
I'm all for exchanging ideas but there is a tendency here to try and belittle an opposing view with the little :whatever:'s and the *sigh*s, when it's not an overall condescending tone by saying obvious things like "you have to understand this takes a lot of plannin" (no, really?!).
That's why I said earlier I'm not going to argue.

Shame really, I always thought Dent and others doing similar things had interesting things to say.
"More interesting things"? Sorry, there is no more explanation needed other than the fact you can't just go around and change things to fit the comics when there is a set plan based around the efforts and vision of multiple people. Joss' vision of A2 is influence by Wright's vision of Ant-Man and vise versa. There's no way around that. It's not as simple as you're trying to make it out or want it to be.

Yep those quotes are definitely of me demeaning people and far outweigh me talking about Marvel. :whatever:

Funny because I'm talking about Marvel in those same quotes.
Mr. Dent I am cool with you and your opinion. But you are kinda of running around these forums telling people they are being over-dramatic and closed minded. Is this a mission for you?

I like to post about these movies and Marvel in general. When 95% of the people on the forums (and all around the internet really) are having kneejerk reactions and not completely thinking things through (imo) then there's pretty much nothing I can do but to disagree and explain why. I wouldn't call it a mission so much as just the way it is. Some people just choose to lurk or post their piece and leave it at that, I like to be in the conversation.

I also recognize that a lot of this is coming from a misconception about what Hank Pym and Ultron mean exactly and what Marvel Studios is trying to accomplish. So I try and point it out. If that means people are going to accuse me of trying to be the forum police, fine. But I'm not breaking any rules.

I like to post about these movies. When 95% of the people on the forums (and all around the internet really) are having kneejerk reactions and not completely thinking things through (imo) then there's pretty much nothing I can do but to disagree and explain why. I wouldn't call it a mission so much as just the way it is. Some people just choose to lurk or post their piece and leave it at that, I like to be in the conversation.
But you aren't simply disagreeing or getting in on the conversation. You are being pretty offensive and accusing other posters of being whiny and closed-minded. I understand your point of view and I agree with the wait and see approach. But you are basically doing what you are accusing others of doing. Being a bit whiny and closed-minded about others opinion on this matter.

But you aren't simply disagreeing or getting in on the conversation. You are being pretty offensive and accusing other posters of being whiny and closed-minded. I understand your point of view and I agree with the wait and see approach. But you are basically doing what you are accusing others of doing. Being a bit whiny and closed-minded about others opinion on this matter.
Yeah but when you have almost the entire forum jumping guns and not thinking clearly like this

So Whedon has stated Ultron is created from the existing Avengers? That confirms it then, its all about the Stark.

Acting like this

Two words:

Arnim Zola.

**** Tony Stark. TONY STARK AIN'T MAKING ULTRON. Get that through your noggin, RDJ and all you Iron Man-worshippin' infidels.

No reason in hell that Tony "I'm Not In the Weapons Business Anymore" Stark is going to create a killer robot/cybernetic weapons systems for a globalist government powered by the World Security Council ("Let's Nuke Manhattan") and SHIELD ("Let's Weaponize EVERYTHING"). Might as well say Bruce Freakin' Banner creates it, because that makes about as much sense.

But back to the whole "CATWS is the key! CATWS is the thing! CATWS is what bridges Avengers 1 and Avengers 2....the thing that surrounds Phase II and ties it, and binds the Avengers together"....

What's the wild card there? The player nobody talks about?

Arnim Zola.

And what exactly is Arnim Zola in the comics?

An evil AI who inhabits an android body. He IS Proto-Ultron.

There's your link. Feast.

and saying **** like this

By not including Pym one would actually destroy two characters: Pym, whose guilt over creating Ultron is one of his trademark characteristics, and Ultron, whose Oedipus complex is the cataclyst for his desires to take over the world.
Whedon is smart enough to know that.
However, A:EMH handled the situation quite well with Stark having a hand in Ultrons creation too. As long as it is clear, that it was actually Pyms fault, and that Pym is the main creator, there is nothing wrong with Tony working along on that project.
If Stark is made to be the guy responsible for creating Ultron, then it would also destroy *three* characters. Strongly doubt they're going to mess up The Golden Boy of the MCU that way.

Short answer: yes, Hank Pym needs to be introduced in AoU as Ultron's creator.
I will complain. That's ******ed.

All based on something they haven't even seen yet or obviously thought nearly enough about it's hard not to call them out on it and get annoyed by. Tango also chose to cookie cut my quotes. :whatever:

But, in the end, you're right. I'll try and be better about it.

Yeah but when you have almost the entire forum jumping guns and not thinking clearly like this

Acting like this

All based on something they haven't even seen yet or obviously thought nearly enough about it's hard not to call them out on it and get annoyed by. Tango also chose to cookie cut my quotes. :whatever:

:up:

And I agree there is a lot of jumping the gun going on here. I have done a bit of that myself over the last few days. But for some it isn't jumping the gun. For some right now it has ruined the MCU and/or Avengers 2. And they are entitled to that.

And maybe this will not be good. Heck, I have liked Joss since Buffy, but he is far from infallible. Marvel Studios did make IM2. But personally, right now, I think this is going to work out in the end. As long as we get a young, hot Janet.

Yeah me too. To me, this is actually an indication it WILL be good. They're making the choices that make the most sense with what they're trying to tell and they're doing new and interesting things. I honestly can't wait to see Wright's film because I'm convinced from what I've heard of it it will be love letter to Hank Pym. Maybe not in the way people exactly wanted, but sometimes people don't know what they want until they get it.

I am wondering how they will handle Janet now though. Wright has never said anything about making her old, or her even being in the film. I wonder how people would feel about her being Lang's girlfriend? Or maybe just not introducing her until Avengers 3?

Yeah me too. To me, this is actually an indication it WILL be good. They're making the choices that make the most sense with what they're trying to tell and they're doing new and interesting things. I honestly can't wait to see Wright's film because I'm convinced from what I've heard of it it will be love letter to Hank Pym. Maybe not in the way people exactly wanted, but sometimes people don't know what they want until they get it.

I am wondering how they will handle Janet now though. Wright has never said anything about making her old, or her even being in the film. I wonder how people would feel about her being Lang's girlfriend? Or maybe just not introducing her until Avengers 3?
I like the idea of Janet coming in in Avengers 3 or 4 as a young, wealthy benefactor who helps fund the Avengers after they completely cut ties with Shield/government. Then reveal herself as a superhero. This would really work if Tony kinda disappears after A2.

I totally agree with you, and I also think having another "smart guy" on the Avengers roster, doesn't do good for the dynamic there. Having Lang as a guy on the roster with a criminal record, now there's a dynamic for you.

Acting like this

Hey look, more talking about how other people post. My imagination is running WILD!

That's all anyone is asking.

So this might of been mentioned but with Pym announced to NOT be in Age of Ultron, could he be mentioned as a scientist from the 60s who began work on a secret project named Ultron that was never completely finished or utilized? He would be mentioned and not appear in AOU and perhaps Tony Stark will end up being the one to create Ultron using what Pym had and expanded on it then Scott Lang would star in the Ant-Man film maybe stealing Pym's "old" Ant-Man suit.

Last edited:

maybe she'll be the linking character; young enough to only be Pym's sidekick, in the flashbacks. but an experienced and mature equal by the time Scott breaks into Pym's lab. maybe i imagined this but i thought i remember that Lang's story actually takes place in the 80s; as opposed to the present day. that still (theoretically) allows Pym to still be an action hero. they could just have him be relatively young when he starts out as Ant-Man.

Timeline:

late 60s - teenaged science prodigy becomes a costumed hero; solving crimes below the radar

early 70s - adult hero takes on a young sidekick

lates 70s - something happens to cause Pym to retire (maybe a run-in with the organization that would eventually go on to bankroll A.I.M)

early 80s - Lang steals costume

Last edited:
It's the best decision to put all your eggs in one basket?
I don't want for Tony to go the way of Wolverine and become the be-all and end-all of everything. Having competition is healthy and to show there are characters that rival his intellect would be the best decision in my opinion.

Robert Downey jr is doing 2 more movies, at most. i don't think he's overstaying his welcome. why not give him a powerful exit? he's smart enough and troubled enough to create Ultron. it was never going to be an Ant-Man movie about Ultron's creation. that is too much story to include with a plot driven origin. the audience would have to digest him creating a method of shrinking himself, the equipment for communicating with insects, and the most advanced A.I. on the planet; in one sitting.

There is no reason to say an Ultron story featuring Pym would not have worked with what's already been established in the MCU. This just adds salt to the wound of having Pym being dropped from what should have been his own origin movie (how would you have liked the first Iron Man film focusing on Rhodey and portraying Tony as a has-been from 50 years ago?).

i'm surprised that you're not used to it, yet. Pym's already not a founding Avenger in the MCU. he's been more than replaced by Stark and Banner. and we don't know yet that he's been dropped from the origin movie. and it's not like they haven't made some extreme changes to comic book continuity. Rhodey's not some weed smoking army vet? Pepper's a CEO and saving the day with extremis enhancements? Mandarin's a white guy? Justin Hammer's not Peter Cushing in pajamas? Whiplash is russian? who developed Cap's shield again?

The villains being just regular guys would be rather dull. I hope there is a super-villains in Ant-Man. I don't care if its an evil genius like Egghead, a guy how uses advanced technology like Black Knight of a superpowered guy like Whirlwind.

Also some cool uses of his powers like this would be fun
Age_of_Ultron10_AI_014.jpg

Age_of_Ultron10_AI_015.jpg

Great post,said it better then me.

I would be sad to see Hank Pym go, because he seems like the kind of tragic antihero with inadequacy issues that Whedon loves to write about. The interesting thing about the character is that he's at least as smart as Stark, Banner, or Reed Richards, but he doesn't get any respect, isn't a billionaire, and has a massive insecurity complex. (I mean, sheesh, his entire powers consisted of shrinking to nothing or getting really, really big. Talk about your bipolar personality.) Also, you've got that weird Oedipal Holy Trinity with Pym, Ultron, and Vision, with Jan as Mary (or is that Jocasta?).

why not give him a powerful exit? he's smart enough and troubled enough to create Ultron. it was never going to be an Ant-Man movie about Ultron's creation. that is too much story to include with a plot driven origin. the audience would have to digest him creating a method of shrinking himself, the equipment for communicating with insects, and the most advanced A.I. on the planet; in one sitting.
Tony doesn't need to be given another character's story arc to be interesting or have a powerful story. He's got his own rich history... I never said I wanted Ultron to be part of the Ant-Man movie. I'm just upset that Hank is being written out of the MCU and his story is being bastardized by being given to another character.

i'm surprised that you're not used to it, yet. Pym's already not a founding Avenger in the MCU. he's been more than replaced by Stark and Banner. and we don't know yet that he's been dropped from the origin movie. and it's not like they haven't made some extreme changes to comic book continuity. Rhodey's not some weed smoking army vet? Pepper's a CEO and saving the day with extremis enhancements? Mandarin's a white guy? Justin Hammer's not Peter Cushing in pajamas? Whiplash is russian? who developed Cap's shield again?

I hope you've been able to see and understand enough of my posts to know I'm not some rage driven extremist that screams bloody murder because a suit isn't a certain color or has the right number of stripes. I can accept changes and even welcome them when they make sense and make something better. I had no problem with Thor not being Donald Blake or with Fury being black or with Tony and Pepper's relationship not being equal to the comics.

That being said, I can understand why some people would have a problem with these things and respect their reasons for it. Similarly, I would like for others to try and see my point of view when I have an objection to something. Often though, all I see is a dismissive statement implying 'it was done a certain way because that's the only way that it makes sense'. I find such a claim shortsighted and unimaginative. As good as these movies have been you can't say they couldn't have been made another way which would have perhaps been even better. A Mandarin, written just like the part was in IM3 but played by a good asian actor, would have been better... Just to provide one example.

That's what I'm talking about in the portion of my earlier comment that you quoted...Don't tell me that Hank Pym can't be introduced to the MCU 'because it doesn't work'. If they wanted to do it they could, and it would be great.

Bottom line, he's being written off what should be his role in this shared universe. Unless there's been or in the immediate future there are some major re-writes (which I doubt) all that he might be in the MCU is some forgettable reference to a guy who created tech that years later a thief uses to do some good. Some people like that, probably because they dislike Pym to begin with. But for some of us it's not a good change, and it will affect our perception of Ant-Man and AoU. Simple.

Last edited:
Bottom line, he's being written off what should be his role in this shared universe. Unless there's been or in the immediate future there are some major re-writes (which I doubt) all that he might be in the MCU is some forgettable reference to a guy who created tech that years later a thief uses to do some good. Some people like that, probably because they dislike Pym to begin with. But for some of us it's not a good change, and it will affect our perception of Ant-Man and AoU. Simple.

as of right now, we don't know that anyone is stealing his tech. Wright might have big plans for the character.

IDK.

Considering Whedon said A:AOU was the origin story of Ultron, I think that we could, down the line, see Hank become involved with Ultron.

Either way, I THINK they could do this right, with Hank being presence.

http://comicbook.com/blog/2013/07/2...ge-hints-tony-starkiron-man-is-behind-ultron/

By clarifying that Hank Pym will play a “very big role” in the Ant-Man movie, Feige seems to clarify that it will indeed be the Hank Pym version of Ant-Man featured in the central role. Spoiler Alert: Even more surprising is the hint that Tony Stark is behind Ultron, which brings up an interesting theory of how everything could go down. At the end of Iron Man 3, Tony Stark blows up all of his Iron Man suits. Could his next step be to try to create a robotic, intelligent Iron Man where he doesn’t have to be inside the suit?

Very interesting about Hank but the portion after spoiler alert is just the writers conjecture.

The Pym part is the writer's conjecture too though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"