• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Official Ant-Man News and Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't he say Feige clarifies it's Pym the central role? Not a quote but he's getting the info from Feige while the Ultron portion is the writers guess of what's happening.

I still think it is Hank and Scott. But if it is just Hank, I will be extremely happy.

I know that there is alot about this movie that is still in the dark about. How certain is it that the whole Pym in the 60's thing is still valid? I know that Edgar discussed it in relation to the original proposal but being as this project has been in the works for quite a number of years now, it presumably has gone under a few revisions. I know they've talked about working on script version 2 or 3 a few years ago when Scott Pilgrim was in theatres. Alot of the original proposal was made even before there was a cohesive film universe. I recall an interview with Feige talking about how he met Edgar when he was promoting Shaun. All I'm asking is what exactly do we really actually know about the film in it's current form?

Doesn't he say Feige clarifies it's Pym the central role? Not a quote but he's getting the info from Feige while the Ultron portion is the writers guess of what's happening.
Nah, the only thing he quotes Feige as saying is that Pym "has a very big role" and then goes on to say he seemingly clarifies (with that statement) that he's the Ant-Man version of the character. That's his conjecture, and it seems the writer isn't aware of Wright saying the story has both Lang and Pym in it.

The story Wright has always said he's wanted to tell with his Ant-Man film involves both Lang and Pym. I don't think it's a question of whether either will be in the film.

This is what Edgar Wright said a few years ago

"'The idea that we have for the adaptation is to actually involve both... Henry Pym and Scott Lang. So you actually do a prologue where you see Pym as Ant-Man in action in the 60's, in sort of 'Tales to Astonish' mode basically, and then the contemporary, sort of flash-forward, is Scott Lang's story, and how he comes to acquire the suit, how he crosses paths with Henry Pym, and then, in an interesting sort of Machiavellian way, teams up with him. "

"His suit and its power is the big gadget"

I think it needs to be known, for anyone upset that Ant Man isn't out yet, that the reason it was delayed was because the man Edgar Wright made Shawn of the Dead, and Hot Fuzz, with was diagnosed with Cancer according to an interview with Wright. They were planning on making this film, The World's End, but I guess were going to make it after Ant Man but then he had cancer.
So Ant Man was pushed back to make the World's End.

When Wright talked of Pym as the Ant-Man of the 60s, you have to realise that he made that statement in the 1970s when he started development of this movie (he's been working on it that long), so it was only about 10 years old back then and Pym wouldn't have seemed that old.

As for Whedon not wanting to use Pym, that's kind of ironic given that many of the fan casting suggestions for Hank are often previous Whedon alumni (eg Nathan Fillion, Alan Tudyk, Neil Patrick Harris etc). Pym almost seems like the very type of character Whedon might want to use too.

When Wright talked of Pym as the Ant-Man of the 60s, you have to realise that he made that statement in the 1970s when he started development of this movie (he's been working on it that long), so it was only about 10 years old back then and Pym wouldn't have seemed that old.

As for Whedon not wanting to use Pym, that's kind of ironic given that many of the fan casting suggestions for Hank are often previous Whedon alumni (eg Nathan Fillion, Alan Tudyk, Neil Patrick Harris etc). Pym almost seems like the very type of character Whedon might want to use too.

To add to that: Joss Whedon *himself* is the very first person to ever publicly fancast Nathan Fillion for Ant-Man, famously "introducing" him that way at an SDCC several years ago.

I bet Fillion is a bit mad about that seeing as he has spent the last 7 years denying he is playing Ant-Man and seems to be growing ever more annoyed that people keep asking him about it.

More quotes from old interviews with Edgar Wright. This is from 2008
It doesn't really have elements of an entire strand or series, because Ant-Man is a character that over forty years, he's kind of cropped up in various different guises, and it's always interesting to me what elements of the character people latch onto. Everyone seems to latch onto the wife-beater elements. I'm not even sure if I read that particular story. I maybe read parts of it. You know, the only thing is that parts of it touch upon is the whole mythos, and basically, it's the story about Hank Pym and Scott Lang. Our big spin on it is an origin tale for one of them and kind of like a swan song for the other.

Interviewer: Are you going to be able to get the Wasp in there at all?

Wright: In a very roundabout way. We want to sort of leave some things for some future visions or spin-off things as well. It's difficult to tell forty years of Avengers history in one film, and I'd rather concentrate on two or three great characters.

Interviewer: You could probably make up a villain and it would be better than any of the Ant-Man villains in the comic books.

Wright: I don't think there's any villains from the original comics, I mean Ant-Man standalone, that are like famous enough to… I mean, in a way, one of the things that was sort of a high concept of characters so much is that you don't need to have a Marvel super-villain in the film. Ant-Man is enough in an otherwise kind of real world.

Wright: I think you got the sense with the original. I had lunch with Stan Lee and it was very interesting talking to him about Ant-Man because he said to me that he always felt like Ant-Man was a character that should have been bigger, and like they made mistakes, even just in the artwork, that sort of prevented him from doing that. It's kind of interesting. He said that he always felt that Ant-Man was a character that had more potential than it ever really delivered on. I like that Cold War stuff, it's great. Ant-Man taking on the Russkies single-handedly, it's funny.

Doesn't look like Pegg or Frost are going to be in Ant-Man either.
Interviewer: When you get around to Ant-Man, are Simon and Nick going to be in it?

Wright: I don’t think so, because I think it’s going to be an American movie. I want to do films with Simon and Nick again, and I’d like those to be our movies, you know?

I think it needs to be known, for anyone upset that Ant Man isn't out yet, that the reason it was delayed was because the man Edgar Wright made Shawn of the Dead, and Hot Fuzz, with was diagnosed with Cancer according to an interview with Wright. They were planning on making this film, The World's End, but I guess were going to make it after Ant Man but then he had cancer.
So Ant Man was pushed back to make the World's End.

Yep if Working Titles Eric Fellner didn't get cancer then Ant-Man would of been made after Scott Pilgrim back in 2011. Edgar felt like he owned Fellner for giving him his break with Shaun Of The Dead.

Yep if Working Titles Eric Fellner didn't get cancer then Ant-Man would of been made after Scott Pilgrim back in 2011. Edgar felt like he owned Fellner for giving him his break with Shaun Of The Dead.
Right, and I think it should be known by everyone so no one is mad at Wright. I mean, even yesterday before I read this, I was thinking how if only he hadn't dragged his feet we could have had Ant Man in Avengers 2. But with this information now, its important to know he wasn't dragging his feet or taking forever on this. He had legitimate reasons, I think people should understand that.

I'm really disappointed at the prospect of Hank not being the protagonist of the film and it being about Scott Lang instead. I would've preferred to have seen a film about Hank and Janet, instead. :csad:

Hell, Wright could've still gotten his "To Steal an Ant-Man" movie while still keeping Hank and Janet as the main characters. Pym could've developed the technology with no intention of becoming a costumed superhero, but when Lang steals it and uses the technology for crime, Hank and Janet adopt costumed identities to stop him (And I could definitely see that being a Janet idea), find out the real reason why Lang's committing crimes, and use their new superhero identities to help Lang out. So the movie could've essentially been about a trio of superhero adventurers, with Hank Pym/Ant-Man headlining it.

As for what identity Lang adopts, God knows that Hank Pym has gone through enough identities in the comics that he can spare one for Lang to adopt. So Lang could be Goliath, Giant-Man, Yellowjacket, or even adopt his daughters identity in the comics and become Stature.

I would love to see To Steal an Ant-Man in the big screen.

Pym originated the Ant-Man identity yes, and Wright will keep that. But that doesn't make him the definitive Ant-Man when he was only Ant-Man for a year and never took up the mantle again. He hasn't been Ant-Man since back in the days in the MIDDLE of him and Wasp headlining Tales to Astonish. Scott meanwhile has been Ant-Man every appearance of his character since 1979. He clearly owns the title. You can't say a character who held the title for a year is more definitive than a character who has held it for the past 30.

Being Ant-Man is not what Hank's character is about. Being any individual superhero identity isn't what Hank's character is about. That's why he has at least 5 different personas. Hank doesn't need to be THE Ant-Man in the MCU or his film to be Hank. And Wright understands that.

Pym originated the Ant-Man identity yes, and Wright will keep that. But that doesn't make him the definitive Ant-Man when he was only Ant-Man for a year and never took up the mantle again. He hasn't been Ant-Man since back in the days in the MIDDLE of him and Wasp headlining Tales to Astonish. Scott meanwhile has been Ant-Man every appearance of his character since 1979. He clearly owns the title. You can't say a character who held the title for a year is more definitive than a character who has held it for the past 30.

Being Ant-Man is not what Hank's character is about. Being any individual superhero identity isn't what Hank's character is about. That's why he has at least 5 different personas. Hank doesn't need to be THE Ant-Man in the MCU or his film to be Hank. And Wright understands that.

I love this post so much. The film isn't called Pym. It's called Ant-Man. Lang is as important to the Ant-Man persona as Pym. I think something important to remember about Pym is that he created all of these other superhero identities that other characters have taken. The idea that Pym's superhero identity has constantly changed is important to Pym as a character like you said, and I think it's awesome that Wright recognizes that (or reported to recognize). I hope he goes with the Pym and Lang story that was rumored and doesn't completely change it to please all these fanboys. In the rumored treatment, Pym WAS the first Ant-Man and it wasn't like Wright completely changed the character (a la the Mandarin). In fact, he even stayed true to the comics, which is sort of rare nowadays. It's a fresh and different take that we've never seen before in a superhero film. Plus it's EDGAR WRIGHT. He's quite possibly one of the most talented young filmmakers today. Let him do the movie he wants to do.

Hell, Wright could've still gotten his "To Steal an Ant-Man" movie while still keeping Hank and Janet as the main characters. Pym could've developed the technology with no intention of becoming a costumed superhero, but when Lang steals it and uses the technology for crime, Hank and Janet adopt costumed identities to stop him (And I could definitely see that being a Janet idea), find out the real reason why Lang's committing crimes, and use their new superhero identities to help Lang out. So the movie could've essentially been about a trio of superhero adventurers, with Hank Pym/Ant-Man headlining it.

did you see the movie? i didn't know that it was out yet.

As for what identity Lang adopts, God knows that Hank Pym has gone through enough identities in the comics that he can spare one for Lang to adopt. So Lang could be Goliath, Giant-Man, Yellowjacket, or even adopt his daughters identity in the comics and become Stature.

**** that. Scott's Ant-Man and proud. you must have him confused with some other wishy washy hero.

I love this post so much. The film isn't called Pym. It's called Ant-Man. Lang is as important to the Ant-Man persona as Pym. I think something important to remember about Pym is that he created all of these other superhero identities that other characters have taken. The idea that Pym's superhero identity has constantly changed is important to Pym as a character like you said, and I think it's awesome that Wright recognizes that (or reported to recognize). I hope he goes with the Pym and Lang story that was rumored and doesn't completely change it to please all these fanboys. In the rumored treatment, Pym WAS the first Ant-Man and it wasn't like Wright completely changed the character (a la the Mandarin). In fact, he even stayed true to the comics, which is sort of rare nowadays. It's a fresh and different take that we've never seen before in a superhero film. Plus it's EDGAR WRIGHT. He's quite possibly one of the most talented young filmmakers today. Let him do the movie he wants to do.
Pretty much. It's funny because all these supposed Hank Pym fans (not talking about this forum specifically, thinking about places like /co/) want to get rid of what makes his character unique. The fact he's a superhero without a singular identity, the fact that he doesn't necessarily want to be a superhero and just wants to do good. Those things are what his character is about. Not Ant-Man. Nor Giant-Man. Nor Goliath. Nor Yellowjacket. Or anything else. Hank Pym is Hank Pym, a weak minded guy who desperately wants to do good with the gifts he's been given but always ends up messing up due to no real fault of his own. As long as Pym is the one who creates Ant-Man, he doesn't and shouldn't be the one to carry the title.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"