• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

The Official Ant-Man News and Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not true. Obviously, we have no idea what Wright and Cornish's most recent (and apparently final) draft looks like, but the original featured an old Hank Pym who was a 1960s era Ant-Man superhero/SHIELD agent. When Lang, a thief (good-hearted one), breaks into Pym's house in the present day, he finds the Ant-Man suit and discovers its powers, and begins using it. Rather than going after him, Pym decides that the kid has some chutzpah and some talent, and becomes a mentor to him.

Pym was very much still a focus of the story.

I think you know what I meant. Lang was the main character, not Pym. I seriously doubt the plot centered around Pym creating Ultron while in the background, Lang went out and did stuff.

My point stands. Whedon deciding to alter Ultron's origin story doesn't mean he pulled the rug out from under Wright.

^ Especially considering he specifically said this allows Wright to own the character in the way he wants. This probably has a lot to do with what Wright is planning, not just Joss being a dick. Since he DOES know what everyone is planning you know. :whatever:

Has there been any recent news regarding Ant-Man? I haven't got time to read through the thread.

Other than the final draft of the script being complete there isn't any news.

^ Especially considering he specifically said this allows Wright to own the character in the way he wants. This probably has a lot to do with what Wright is planning, not just Joss being a dick. Since he DOES know what everyone is planning you know. :whatever:

To reinforce that:
"I saw [Whedon] just the other week in London, we had dinner. He likes the script that we've written, so there's not a lot we have to do to fit it into the other movies, which is good. I think so how it fits in will actually become in future movies. So, it's going to be more standalone."

http://omg.yahoo.com/video/yo-ant-man-fits-avengers-025008314.html

From about 3 days ago.

No, definitely not to the extent that "it's a big mistake". If it's the best decision for the story they're trying to tell then it is not a mistake. 99.99999% of the world does not know who Hank Pym is, he is not needed. This isn't Spider-Man.

It's the best decision to put all your eggs in one basket?
I don't want for Tony to go the way of Wolverine and become the be-all and end-all of everything. Having competition is healthy and to show there are characters that rival his intellect would be the best decision in my opinion.
There is no reason to say an Ultron story featuring Pym would not have worked with what's already been established in the MCU. This just adds salt to the wound of having Pym being dropped from what should have been his own origin movie (how would you have liked the first Iron Man film focusing on Rhodey and portraying Tony as a has-been from 50 years ago?).

No, definitely not to the extent that "it's a big mistake". If it's the best decision for the story they're trying to tell then it is not a mistake. 99.99999% of the world does not know who Hank Pym is, he is not needed. This isn't Spider-Man.
There is a fair question of what it means in the long run. For better or worse, the MCU has been set up where one story should not sacrifice other possible stories in the future.

I could honestly care less about who is under the helmet, as long as the storys interesting and based in the most part on the comic

It's the best decision to put all your eggs in one basket?
I don't want for Tony to go the way of Wolverine and become the be-all and end-all of everything. Having competition is healthy and to show there are characters that rival his intellect would be the best decision in my opinion.
First of all, Joss referred to Ultron's creation as coming out of the existing Avengers, plural sense, so we have a lot more ground to stand on in assuming Ultron's creation is a group effort, not just Tony's (although obviously he will play a big part in it). So from that perspective they're really strengthening Ultron's character and his concept as an Avengers villain because it becomes more about the team itself, metaphorically and literally, and less about one guy.

Second, it's best to streamline origins in these films anyway, that's not the same as putting all your eggs in one basket. You can't keep everything from the comics with Ultron, as Joss said. Hank Pym was not introduced in the first Avengers film, therefore it doesn't make sense for him to be the one to build Ultron in this universe. Not to mention it's looking more and more likely that Hank being old was not written out of Wright's script like some of us assumed when he said he rewrote it to fit in more with the MCU.

There is no reason to say an Ultron story featuring Pym would not have worked with what's already been established in the MCU.
Old Hank Pym who was not in the first Avengers film and Edgar Wright would like to speak with you.

This just adds salt to the wound of having Pym being dropped from what should have been his own origin movie (how would you have liked the first Iron Man film focusing on Rhodey and portraying Tony as a has-been from 50 years ago?).
Ant-Man, or specifically Hank Pym himself, is not Iron Man. By that I mean, his origin is not untouchable because his story in the comics is extremely convoluted to the point it doesn't make sense in a film universe. Starting with the fact that Hank Pym is unequivocally NOT Ant-Man, Scott Lang is. Hank Pym was Ant-Man for a year before becoming Giant-Man, or in other words he hasn't been Ant-Man in over 40 years. Scott Lang on the other hand has been Ant-Man for over the past 30 years. Given that, changes have to be made. It's not the same as Tony and Rhodey. Pym's multiple transformations and crap is fluff from the comics that they're deciding to cut out and streamline. Making Hank Pym an old, retired, and pessimistic hero who didn't accomplish what he wanted keeps the essence of the character while streamlining the Ant-Man origin for the movies.

Hank Pym's story is not about being Ant-Man, it's about a guy who wanted to be a hero and wanted to save the world with what he was blessed with but always fails, and it eats away at him to the point he becomes jaded. That's why he never sticks to one persona, that's not what it's about for his character.

That's the story Edgar Wright wanted to tell, one that keeps the essence of both Hank Pym, Scott Lang, and the Ant-Man hero while streamlining it for a movie. I understand fans are upset they didn't go another route that fits the comics, but it is what it is and it makes sense.

There is a fair question of what it means in the long run. For better or worse, the MCU has been set up where one story should not sacrifice other possible stories in the future.
Exactly. Joss didn't want to step on Edgar Wright's vision, a vision he's had since BEFORE Marvel Studios was established. Honestly, I think Ant-Man and Hank Pym fans in general will be pleased once they see the story Wright wants to tell because I'm sure it captures the essence of the character and improves on the Ant-Man story in some ways. But until then the fact they won't be getting the full Hank Pym character arc from the comics is going to piss people off I guess.

He thinks those that don't agree should keep it to themselves.
Find me the quote where I said people shouldn't voice their opinions. Oh yeah, you can't. Which is why you always say something and then when I call you out on bringing me quotes of me demeaning people you always clam up. :whatever:

Last edited:
Old Hank Pym who was not in the first Avengers film and Edgar Wright would like to speak with you.
First of all, I'm not going to get into an argument with you over the importance of the Hank Pym character because, bottom line, you have your opinion and I have mine and we'll neither be able to change the others'.

However on this particular item i quoted you're missing the part where I said 'what's already been established in the MCU'. Although very likely, the 'Pym is an old man has-been' hasn't yet been established in the MCU and in fact will not be established, if it ever does, until AFTER Avengers 2. So my point about the possibility of a good Ultron story being written to include Pym, while still fitting in to the currently established shared universe, still stands. To say it would be impossible to do so is admitting a total lack of imagination and poor faith on the talent involved.

If they're planning to do it then it IS already established. You have to remember that they plan these movies far in advance and Joss is there SPECIFICALLY to make sure there's a synergy to everything. They don't make one movie without a consideration of what comes after it. It doesn't work like that with this. Saying they can just off and do something because it hasn't been made yet is ignoring the fact that this is a shared universe in and of itself. Joss' line about them doing this so Wright can own that character the way he wants completely supports this as well.

Furthermore, that was not the only thing I mentioned, that was just half of it. The fact he was not in the first Avengers film is just as big a problem, if not bigger. Ultron is a mistake that is born from the Avengers, you can't have a guy who is not an Avenger come in and make him, then you lose the essence of the character. Then it really becomes a big mistake.

Find me the quote where I said people shouldn't voice their opinions. Oh yeah, you can't. Which is why you always say something and then when I call you out on bringing me quotes of me demeaning people you always clam up. :whatever:

You certainly seem to get awful snarky & upset every time someone voices a negative opinion, and you've spent the last two days talking more about what other people think and how they post than any Marvel content. Unless posting "SIGH" is somehow a meaningful post in your world. So yeah, I get the distinct feeling you'd rather people just shut up and not rock the boat.

You certainly seem to get awful snarky & upset every time someone voices a negative opinion, and you've spent the last two days talking more about what other people think and how they post than any Marvel content.
Oh really. Quotes please. :)

If you call stating why Ultron not being created by Hank Pym makes sense in the MCU "talking more about how other people post than any Marvel content" then you're reimagining **** I'm posting in your head. Which is unhealthy.

Actually, i've seen you spend more time talk about how me and Broseph post than about any other Marvel content. i see a pattern of you accusing me of doing something and then turning around and doing it yourself here.

Unless posting "SIGH" is somehow a meaningful post in your world. So yeah, I get the distinct feeling you'd rather people just shut up and not rock the boat.
"Getting the feeling" and me actually doing something are two different things bro. And I'm the one who suppsedly overexagerates other people. :o

Last edited:
I don't know what I think about Hank Pym not being involved with Ultron, but we will see how it turns out. I may be in the minority, but Marvel Studios has yet to majorly disappoint me so far.

Oh really. Quotes please. :)

It's going to be annoying as **** to have to watch people ***** and moan for two straight years about a change just because they don't like change, **** how much sense it makes. :whatever:

You guys are so fickle. One day you're talking about how Marvel is awesome and as soon as something doesn't go the way you expected because "comic purity" Marvel sucks.

That's all I'll say on it until you calm down and come to your senses because right now you're acting silly.

all of this rage

Well good for you. I wish more people would be accepting

It's hilarious to me that people are saying the movie is ruined for them because ONE CHARACTER who doesn't even exist yet is being lessened.

I don't see what peoples' problems are with changing things.

trying to talk sense into people

People can "quit" the MCU if they want to because Pym is being changed, their lost. I tried to help people understand, but people hate change so much

So my point is people should not dwell on what isn't and deal with what is

Enjoy your "destroyed" characters.

Hey look nonsensical analogies to prove an equally illogical point. Guess they go hand in hand.

I guess I must have imagined all those quotes.:o

lol

I don't know why people care if someone doesn't agree with them. Seems a rather pointless going around in circles trying to talk someone around to your viewpoint when they obviously aren't going to come around to it.

Last edited:
So I ask all the pro-Ant-Man people what should the Ant-Man film be about? I mean there was no way he was fighting Ultron with just Janet, plus Disney isn't going to allow him to beat Janet so what reason is there to even make an Ant-Man film?

Ant-Man faces who Egghead??

I guess I must have imagined all those quotes.:o
Yep those quotes are definitely of me demeaning people and far outweigh me talking about Marvel. :whatever:

Funny because I'm talking about Marvel in those same quotes.

lol

I don't know why people care if someone doesn't agree with them. Seems a rather pointless going around in circles trying to talk someone around to your viewpoint when they obviously aren't going to come around to it.

I'm with you.
I'm all for exchanging ideas but there is a tendency here to try and belittle an opposing view with the little :whatever:'s and the *sigh*s, when it's not an overall condescending tone by saying obvious things like "you have to understand this takes a lot of plannin" (no, really?!).
That's why I said earlier I'm not going to argue.

Shame really, I always thought Dent and others doing similar things had interesting things to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IAmBatman125
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"