The Official Ant-Man News and Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can say someone's overestimating or underestimating Superman/Batman. It goes both ways. We just don't know how big it'll be yet. Personally, I think it will be huge... but once again, we just don't know.

I think it'll make plenty of money. I just don't think it's so big that no one should think they have to wait more than a month after it to release anything else.

Whoa! That's surprising news. I think it' a good move. As others have said, being closer to A:AOU will help, and 3 weeks is enough space after BatSup.

Besides, this must mean that Disney is pretty confident with whatever they've seen from Wright so far, right?

I don't think it's a stupid move at all. Summer is a better time to launch an untested superhero movie rather than in November when kids are back in school. And three weeks after Batman vs. Superman is plenty of space in between. I think you're overestimating how big it will be.

I argue that two November franchises (HP, Twilight) had massive success moving to summertime, and then back to fall again. I don't know why none of the studios have opted to try that with their superhero films, save for Thor: The Dark World, when there's clearly an audience hungry for big spectacle around November/December. (And not just for book-series-turned-films, but big appealing spectacle in general.)

And I'm not confident in Disney's placement for several reasons:

1) Very late July/early August movies just don't as well as films released earlier. Summer is winding down, and if studios want to make a statement, they usually try for early to mid July to mark it as the "last big epic film of the summer!". Fox tried that with The Wolverine -- and despite being well-received, it's the lowest-grossing X-Men film domestically.
2) True, we do not know how BvsS will ultimately turn out... but it's going to be big.
3) Summer 2015 may not be as saturated with superhero titles like 2012 was, but why not usurp the old Batman/MOS spot for Ant-Man? There's currently no superhero titles on deck for June 2015, and it could clean up there.

Whoa! That's surprising news. I think it' a good move. As others have said, being closer to A:AOU will help, and 3 weeks is enough space after BatSup.

Besides, this must mean that Disney is pretty confident with whatever they've seen from Wright so far, right?

Well the test footage was promising, and Wright's The World's End was loved by the critics. I think they are confident.

Well the test footage was promising, and Wright's The World's End was loved by the critics. I think they are confident.

True true. Haven't seen World's End yet, but it looked good.

I hope Wright is ready to kick into small gear, because his timetable just shrunk!
:awesome:

Well if Fox's FF ever wanted to launch in the summer of 2015, it's getting even more impossible now.

I wonder what it means for the plot of Avengers AoU now that Ant-Man is following so closely on its heels. Will Whedon reconsider having Henry Pym featuring in some way in Avengers 2?

3) Summer 2015 may not be as saturated with superhero titles like 2012 was, but why not usurp the old Batman/MOS spot for Ant-Man? There's currently no superhero titles on deck for June 2015, and it could clean up there.
Summer 2012 had TA, TDKR, and TASM. Summer 2015 will now have AoU, WF, and Ant-Man. I'd say it's just as saturated. And June does seem like a better idea.

True true. Haven't seen World's End yet, but it looked good.

I hope Wright is ready to kick into small gear, because his timetable just shrunk!
:awesome:

Yeah, I just hope this new release date doesn't make him antsy. :cwink:

Well if Fox's FF ever wanted to launch in the summer of 2015, it's getting even more impossible now.

I wonder what it means for the plot of Avengers AoU now that Ant-Man is following so closely on its heels. Will Whedon reconsider having Henry Pym featuring in some way in Avengers 2?

Yeah, good point. At the very least, there should be post credit nod. I'd love much more than that, though, but I don't want to get my hopes up.

Yeah, I just hope this new release date doesn't make him antsy. :cwink:
:rimshot:

I doubt Whedon's including Pym in his script now, but you never know...

Not to mention that this movie is rumored to star Scott Lang instead of Hank Pym, but personally, I'd prefer Pym.

It makes perfect sense, especially with Bond coming out in 2015 now. I thought they might have to move it after that announcement, and it makes sense. There was little chance they would move it back, so moving it up makes perfect sense.

I doubt Whedon's including Pym in his script now, but you never know...

Not to mention that this movie is rumored to star Scott Lang instead of Hank Pym, but personally, I'd prefer Pym.
Hank has been confirmed by Edgar Wright himself. Now whether he is the only Ant-Man is the question. My belief is Hank and Scott will both be there, with each being Giant-Man and Ant-Man respectively come the end of the film.

Hank has been confirmed by Edgar Wright himself. Now whether he is the only Ant-Man is the question. My belief is Hank and Scott will both be there, with each being Giant-Man and Ant-Man respectively come the end of the film.

Ya' know, I could live with that. Not a bad idea, although, I'd rather Pym be able to shrink and increase his size. However, your idea is a good compromise.

Ya' know, I could live with that. Not a bad idea, although, I'd rather Pym be able to shrink and increase his size. However, your idea is a good compromise.
If they go with the "To Steal an Ant-Man" concept, I can most definitely see Hank being able to do both and being the "original" Ant-Man, and simply passing the mantel on to Scott by the end of the film.

Summer 2012 had TA, TDKR, and TASM. Summer 2015 will now have AoU, WF, and Ant-Man. I'd say it's just as saturated. And June does seem like a better idea.

The reason I felt 2012 was oversaturated was because ASM and TDKR opened weeks after one another. At least Sony was smart enough to schedule ASM for July 3, which gave it 2.5 weeks before TDKR swooped in.

But Ant-Man won't have that luxury -- and if the marketing isn't appealing enough, people are going to go back for B/S seconds or stay home. I would like studios to spread these films out more so that more have a better chance of catching on with audiences. Studios and audiences would benefit from this.

Or if Disney/Marvel is feeling bold, they could certainly push Ant-Man up further to April 2015 (like they're doing with Captain America: The Winter Soldier the year before) and get audiences pumped for TA2 a month after.

What is the take away from these news? Marvel thinks it screams summer blockbuster?

No idea but the critics loved The World's End, so Disney/Marvel might have even more faith in Wright now. And AoU will be fresher on peoples' minds than it would've been in November, so that might work out for the best. I'm just weary of it opening 3 weeks after Superman/Batman.
They moved it because it was scheduled to come out the same day as Bond 24, which Sony booked in June. So a lot of us were expecting this kind of move since they couldn't move it anywhere but back to summer.

I think this move is a stupid idea on Marvel and Disney's part. They'll already own summer 2015 with Avengers: Age of Ultron and POTC 5... and Ant-Man is an untested property.

And they're underestimating how big this potential Superman vs. Batman movie can be. They would be better off moving Ant-Man to November 13 or that May 2016 spot.
You don't know what you're talking about, plain and simple. This is far more preferable than the movie coming out the same day as Bond and only a week before Mockingjay Pt 2 and Finding Dory. Coming out the third week of any movie, even one that is a sure fire billion buster like Batman vs. Superman, is NOT a risk. Marvel isn't underestimating Batman/Superman, you're overestimating it. Third, putting it closer to AAOU will probably help boost WOM ever so slightly because they're not 6 months apart, so hype levels come off of the Avengers euphoria will be high (if the movie is as good or better than the first). And they already have a movie planned for May 2016. Stop overreacting with big bold "strong" statements.

Last edited:
The reason I felt 2012 was oversaturated was because ASM and TDKR opened weeks after one another. At least Sony was smart enough to schedule ASM for July 3, which gave it 2.5 weeks before TDKR swooped in.

But Ant-Man won't have that luxury -- and if the marketing isn't appealing enough, people are going to go back for B/S seconds or stay home. I would like studios to spread these films out more so that more have a better chance of catching on with audiences. Studios and audiences would benefit from this.

Or if Disney/Marvel is feeling bold, they could certainly push Ant-Man up further to April 2015 (like they're doing with Captain America: The Winter Soldier the year before) and get audiences pumped for TA2 a month after.
Have you been following the development of these films? First, moving the film up that much would put a strain on the production. Secondly, Ant-Man is firmly phase 3 and as they have a final script, why would they attempt to move it before AoU at this point?

We will have a better grasp on how successful Ant-Man could possibly be when GotG comes out next early August as well. So it seems pretty pointless to try and act as if doom is coming right now. If AoU is huge again, well that will only be good for Ant-Man. It will ride the wave.

Also, your overall argument is flawed. It is ok to place it close to AoU but now the Superman/Batman film? Why?

They moved it because it was scheduled to come out the same day as Bond 24, which Sony booked in June. So those of us who pay attention to this stuff was expecting this kind of move.

You don't know what you're talking about, plain and simple. This is dar preferable than the movie coming out the same day as Bond and only a week before Mockingjay Pt 2 and Finding Dory. Coming out the third week of any movie, even one that is a sure fire billion buster like Batman vs. Superman, is NOT a risk. Marvel isn't underestimating Batman/Superman, you're overestimating it. Third, putting it closer to AAOU will probably help boost WOM ever so slightly because they're not 6 months apart, so hype levels come off of the Avengers euphoria will be high (if the movie is as good or better than the first).
Yep, November started looking more and more like a bad date. It had to be moved.

I wasn't sure what they'd do for A2 after-credit scene (whether it would be another Thanos/cosmic tease or if they would tease Ant-Man) but with Ant-Man coming out so close to AAOU now I'm leaning more towards them putting an Ant-Man related after-credit scene.

Sweet move, and a big jump. Gets me more excited about it. That also means we'll be much closer to a casting announcement, possibly late 2013/early 2014.

This move by Marvel is extremely shrewd. What better promotion for Ant-Man than having its release tied closer to Avengers. Bravo

Sweet move, and a big jump. Gets me more excited about it. That also means we'll be much closer to a casting announcement, possibly late 2013/early 2014.
I don't think this will change the casting schedule at all. We would have always started getting casting rumors around November-December and concrete confirmation from one of the trades January-ish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"