Batman '89 The Official Batman (1989) Thread - Part 6

Does anyone feel like the new batsuit being used in The Flash, is closer to the panther suit from Batman Forever, rather than Batman 89 or Returns?

The lack of a yellow belt really hurts it.

Does anyone feel like the new batsuit being used in The Flash, is closer to the panther suit from Batman Forever, rather than Batman 89 or Returns?

The lack of a yellow belt really hurts it.

I feel it's more removed than I'd like.

I think they should've gone this route that they were aiming for in 1994.

michael-keaton-batman-3-3.jpg

michael-keaton-batman-3-1_0.jpg

Small digression : thinking about it, while the panther suit seemed to be a departure from Returns, I'd say it actually could be seen as an evolution from Keaton's 1989 suit. It's that same approach of molding the thing only from human anatomic features... but with the detail level cranked to eleven, I concede... :funny:

Going back to your observation, that new suit actually reminds me of... Batman Begins!

4blu.jpg
The torso looks very similar to me. If I had to describe it, I'd say it's an all black costume mixing Begins and Returns style.

------------​

Otherwise, I don't mind this new batsuit. I don't love it, but I don't hate it either.

It sure could have been more exciting. I know I never miss an opportunity to say I don't like Batman wearing armor outside of some particular takes, and I also know people are tired of the TDKReturns influence, but I admit I would have been curious to see a Burtonian take on this famous look. I've always liked this manip' that lets us guess a Bat-Keat wearing just some piece of armor here and there :

xqvly6xkugt21.jpg
The torso and maybe a forearm, etc. Something a bit more "destroy" looking could have gone well with this Batman. I think. Maybe.

About the visual langage from Burton's movies, there was certainly something else to do to connect this new design to the past a bit more, although I think some of the patterns, like on the gloves, are actually supposed to evoke the batmobile armor :

Batman-Burton-Movie-1989-Keaton-h.jpg

The cowl seems to me like a step back though. For the little we've seen, it seems much less suited to Keaton's face than what was done for Returns, and I also find the sculpt to be less sexy, a bit bland. But again, not a deal breaker either.

In the end, I'm much more perplexed about the way Muschietti is going to film this Batman, which for me goes hand in hand with a certain approach to filming and more particularly to lighting...

I feel like an alien, but to be honest, these collector's sets really leave me cold.

I just don't like their graphic design, which feels quite lazy to me, not to say amateurish. I wish it would have matched the mood of the films a bit more, especially the Burton ones.
I will admit, though, that the items themselves look well polished with these various matte and glossy finishes. And as far as goodies go, the posters and prints are nice but somehow, I don't crave them either.

Heh, too bad for me! I finally just bought the regular 4K versions, but I'm happy for anyone who appreciate those big boxes, of course! :yay:

I feel like an alien, but to be honest, these collector's sets really leave me cold.

I just don't like their graphic design, which feels quite lazy to me, not to say amateurish. I wish it would have matched the mood of the films a bit more, especially the Burton ones.
I will admit, though, that the items themselves look well polished with these various matte and glossy finishes. And as far as goodies go, the posters and prints are nice but somehow, I don't crave them either.

Heh, too bad for me! I finally just bought the regular 4K versions, but I'm happy for anyone who appreciate those big boxes, of course! :yay:
I don’t get how the Superman films get this
4K-Superman-BoxSet.jpeg
, and the Batman 4K’s get stuck with these generic covers. Batman 89 has one of the best movie posters ever made and it hasn’t been on a home video release since the DVD.

I don’t get how the Superman films get this
4K-Superman-BoxSet.jpeg
, and the Batman 4K’s get stuck with these generic covers. Batman 89 has one of the best movie posters ever made and it hasn’t been on a home video release since the DVD.

Yeah, official posters are a safe choice in general. That being said, I'm not that crazy about those from the Nolan trilogy. For example, the main TDK one with the building in flames was for me easily surpassed by secondary posters like this :

f55e20d2b07e387bde6659f27d221edc_c9ae0213-842b-4699-9dad-258f35518667_500x.jpg

For Rises, I found most of the posters to be weirdly put together with some really bad perspective (the Imax poster was a pure disaster). The three ones with Batman, Bane and Catwoman each under the rain were nice but a bit too poor to be choose as a main cover though...

What I would have really liked on the steelbooks for special edition like those, are some visuals specially made for the occasion by some artists, graphically generous and that capture the identity of the movies, as we can see with the Mondo posters for example...
Since we are on the Batman 1989 thread, here are some visuals which I like the spirit of (put in spoiler tags not because it's quite big)

16.jpg

Florey and Bermejo takes on the same idea :
Batman-89-VAR_1024x1024.jpg
ia3q6i44jon41.jpg

I would even be ok with something really retro, classic painted movie poster, like this (but better...):​
3ekpk3f6nso51.jpg

Or like this :

EXxXiC-WsAApjd7
I'm actually toying with the idea of making my own custom boxset.
Of course, it won't be as classy as real steelbooks... but still. :D

Last edited:
I made a visual retrospective on the hype for this movie on Reddit.

I
f I could go back in time to experience the release of one film sit would definitely be this one. Within my lifetime there hasn’t been a film that had the same level of insanity prior to release.

If I could go back in time to experience the release of one film sit would definitely be this one. Within my lifetime there hasn’t been a film that had the same level of insanity prior to release.

What BATMAN movie since would you say has come close to the hype? The Dark Knight?

What BATMAN movie since would you say has come close to the hype? The Dark Knight?
I was born in 1992 so yeah for me it would be The Dark Knight. To go even further into comic book movies beyond Batman, I’d also include the buildup to Raimi’s first Spider-Man in 2002. In both cases I remember there being a plethora of merch and the anticipation for both films was palpable.

But even then, it wasn’t to the point that people were shaving the Spider-Man symbol into their hair. I still think that was happened in 89 is still on another level from what I experienced with those two films.

I was born in 1992 so yeah for me it would be The Dark Knight. To go even further into comic book movies beyond Batman, I’d also include the buildup to Raimi’s first Spider-Man in 2002. In both cases I remember there being a plethora of merch and the anticipation for both films was palpable.

But even then, it wasn’t to the point that people were shaving the Spider-Man symbol into their hair. I still think that was happened in 89 is still on another level from what I experienced with those two films.

Yeah... sad I missed all the Burton Batman mania. Still, loved watching the movies on VHS growing up.

Spider-Man 3 seemed to have significant hype behind it as well.

Yeah... sad I missed all the Burton Batman mania. Still, loved watching the movies on VHS growing up.

Spider-Man 3 seemed to have significant hype behind it as well.
Spidey 3 did, although I would still argue that it didn’t quite reach the same level as 2002.

I think what sucks about missing the fervor surrounding Batman 1989 is that the circumstances that surrounded it will never happen again. Put your mind into that time period.

1. There hadn’t been a Batman film in 20 years.

2. Batman had been portrayed as a fun lighthearted character up until that point.

3. Comic book movies largely weren’t well received, especially in the 80’s.

4. Batman wasn’t a popular character to non-comic book readers.

It was the perfect storm for someone to do something entirely new with Batman and the comic book movie genre. Add on top of that that they were able to get an Academy Award winning actor to play the Joker which was a rarity back then for a film like this. All these ingredients added to the excitement and anticipation of its release.

But I would say that Raimi’s first Spider-Man is probably the closest equivalent from our lifetime in the sense that the circumstances surrounding it will never happen again. Part of the anticipation was “What does a big budget Spider-Man film look like?” At this point that question has been answered multiple times, but 20 years ago we had no idea.

This would be an amazing title for a BATMAN continuation project with Michael Keaton:

I AM BATMAN
Starring Michael Keaton, Michelle Pfeiffer, TBA
Produced by Tim Burton
Directed by Denis Villeneuve

The stuff that dreams are made of...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95