The Official Batman TAS Thread - Part 3

There's a ton of BTAS and Batman material that comes to mind when talking about Conroy, but "Beware the Gray Ghost" in particular is probably going to be on my mind for the rest of the day.

Easily one of the most moving episodes of the entire series. I go back to this one every so often, and I think it's just perfect. it's like Batman is one of us here, looking up to his hero while we watch ours.

I was having a particularly tough time teaching today. I was struggling to get my spirits up and be ''on'' for the pupils. Coming to the end of the day, I thought, 'I must watch some Batman: The Animated Series tonight''. It was always my comfort show and picked me up when I was feeling down or overwhelmed.

I came home and... this is what I'm faced with. The news I was dreading hearing about. MY Batman... THE voice that has been so prevalent in keeping me company as an only child, providing me with literally hours of entertainment... has left us. Something felt off these past few months as things were too quiet. He was dropping out of cons, no/limited presence on social media and a lack of his frequent interviews.

At 32 years of age I can say the DCAU was everything to me growing up and I was the perfect age to enjoy it in all it's scope. Kevin was at the forefront of it all. My favorite character, impeccably cast - full of warmth, strength, humor and power. He never let us down. He gave this little animated character true life. Of course, I didn't really know who Kevin was as a kid (for those of you who remember squinting at the screen trying to read credits on fuzzy VHS tapes), but boy did I learn fast. Keaton wasn't just Batman, he was many other wonderful characters too. The same goes for Kilmer, Clooney, Bale, etc. But Kevin Conroy... Kevin Conroy WAS Batman to me in a very palpable way.

He was the only actor I ever wanted to meet at a convention. I'm glad to say I got that chance back at Dublin Comic Con in 2017. He was kind and thoughtful, even asking me what I do for a living. He was quick to point out the importance of teachers in helping young people find their voice and I'll keep that reminder with me more than ever now.

I did not know the man on a personal level, but he has been a very important part of my life. One I will deeply miss. I don't think I will watch Batman: The Animated Series tonight. I'm just too sad... instead I think I'll simply remember the years of joy he gave to so many of us.

BATMAN will live on. He has to... there's just too many stories to tell. But MY Batman, the DCAU Batman is gone. What a gift he was!

R.I.P. Kevin Conroy. Thank you for being you!

I was having a particularly tough time teaching today. I was struggling to get my spirits up and be ''on'' for the pupils. Coming to the end of the day, I thought, 'I must watch some Batman: The Animated Series tonight''. It was always my comfort show and picked me up when I was feeling down or overwhelmed.

I came home and... this is what I'm faced with. The news I was dreading hearing about. MY Batman... THE voice that has been so prevalent in keeping me company as an only child, providing me with literally hours of entertainment... has left us. Something felt off these past few months as things were too quiet. He was dropping out of cons, no/limited presence on social media and a lack of his frequent interviews.

At 32 years of age I can say the DCAU was everything to me growing up and I was the perfect age to enjoy it in all it's scope. Kevin was at the forefront of it all. My favorite character, impeccably cast - full of warmth, strength, humor and power. He never let us down. He gave this little animated character true life. Of course, I didn't really know who Kevin was as a kid (for those of you who remember squinting at the screen trying to read credits on fuzzy VHS tapes), but boy did I learn fast. Keaton wasn't just Batman, he was many other wonderful characters too. The same goes for Kilmer, Clooney, Bale, etc. But Kevin Conroy... Kevin Conroy WAS Batman to me in a very palpable way.

He was the only actor I ever wanted to meet at a convention. I'm glad to say I got that chance back at Dublin Comic Con in 2017. He was kind and thoughtful, even asking me what I do for a living. He was quick to point out the importance of teachers in helping young people find their voice and I'll keep that reminder with me more than ever now.

I did not know the man on a personal level, but he has been a very important part of my life. One I will deeply miss. I don't think I will watch Batman: The Animated Series tonight. I'm just too sad... instead I think I'll simply remember the years of joy he gave to so many of us.

BATMAN will live on. He has to... there's just too many stories to tell. But MY Batman, the DCAU Batman is gone. What a gift he was!

R.I.P. Kevin Conroy. Thank you for being you!
...you just made me tear up again.

Kevin was one of the nicest celebs I ever had the pleasure of meeting. Back in 2015, which was my first comic con here in the tiny state of Rhode Island, he was the first person I had the intention of meeting. Told him that he IS Batman and he signed a pic for me.

39e6e84c-6298-45ea-9fff-20cbac3aeb5e

If anybody can track it down, I remember Kevin Conroy’s episode of Fatman on Batman being very good. He talks about how he got into acting and how he eventually got Batman.

...re-watching Robin's Reckoning.

Conroy always was so good at his 'Bruce' voice. Especially when it slips more into an endearing aspect. That's why Mask Of The Phantasm is legendary, those flashbacks of Bruce dealing with heartbreak.

Man, this image made me really well up. To whoever drew it/created, you have captured my feelings tonight perfectly:

This was a real gut punch. I feel like a piece of my childhood died today. :csad:

I fondly remember watching TAS after school as it originally aired in the early 90's. I was blown away by what I was seeing. The show was so ahead of it's time and Mr. Conroy's performance was the heart and soul of it.

Mr. Conroy will go down as the greatest Batman of all time. He created an amazing legacy. He is the definitive Batman.

God bless Kevin.

The sad thing is not that for awhile, Susan Eisenberg's- Wonder Woman's voice on JL/JLU- had been pitching the idea of a JL reunion and said the entire cast was on board. But now, that chance may not come.

Still, loved her tribute. I told myself I'd re-watch "Beware the Gray Ghost" today, but even after just a few minutes, I actually don't think I can bring myself to watch it in its entirety without getting choked up now.

Wow, I haven't had a gut punch like this from the news since Chadwick. Or Carrie Fisher. I gotta make a video tribute right away.
If anybody can track it down, I remember Kevin Conroy’s episode of Fatman on Batman being very good. He talks about how he got into acting and how he eventually got Batman.
It's such a lovely interview. I remember how Smith managed to contain his inner fanboy and went right into "Tell us about your life." Maybe standard podcast procedure, but it was the first time I can remember hearing Conroy describe his story before Batman.

I met him at LA Comic Con several years ago, just as sweet and kind as everyone says. RIP.

Absolutely devastated to hear Kevin Conroy has passed away.
This man *IS* Batman. He means so much to so many of us.
He means so much to me. Like many, he is the Batman I grew up with. He is the voice in my head while reading Batman comics. I love many of the Live Action version, but Conroy is Batman.
Some of my earliest memories are of his Batman. I’m so glad he never gave it up and was still playing the character until recently. I’m really glad he got to play the character in live action, as well.
The animated series means the absolute world to me and a MAJOR part of it is because of this man.
His Batman was the first tattoo I ever did on skin, and it’s on myself. I still love it, flaws and all.

I really wanted to show it to him one day and tell him how much he means to me.
Recently, he publicly came out and it really solidified everything for me. Learning that a gay man was the voice behind my favourite character was one of the greatest things I’ve ever learned. I really wanted to tell him how much that meant to me, too.

Rest in Peace to the greatest Dark Knight ever. We will all miss hearing his wonderful voice behind one of the greatest characters ever created. We lost an absolute icon.

The sad thing is not that for awhile, Susan Eisenberg's- Wonder Woman's voice on JL/JLU- had been pitching the idea of a JL reunion and said the entire cast was on board. But now, that chance may not come.

Still, loved her tribute. I told myself I'd re-watch "Beware the Gray Ghost" today, but even after just a few minutes, I actually don't think I can bring myself to watch it in its entirety without getting choked up now.

While the entire crew didn't, thankfully the Trinity did back in 2019. Justice League vs The Fatal Five. It was honestly pretty good, worth watching.

The more the reality sets in the more of a gut punch this is becoming. I can't believe we had to lose such an amazing person. Life really does ******* suck.

It still feels so unreal. Like Chadwick's, this came out of nowhere, and it tear us apart with no mercy... it hits us so close because Kevin was still playing Batman in these 30 years. And his voice is a big a part of the Batman mythos. We just can't disassociate Batman's voice from him.
I love TAS since my childhood, but just recently I watched every episode, including TNBA. Glad I did that. Finished Asylum and Knight recently, too.
It hurts so much, and will hurt for a while unfortunately, but his legacy will live forever. Long live Kevin Conroy.
:btf:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"