The Official Batman TAS Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Batman TAS Episode: Showdown

http://kane52630.tumblr.com/post/78685283739/showdown-batman-the-animated-series

SlZYlTM.gif
JWK9kMa.gif

4yt216h.gif
wnzIzhB.gif

ybGBqKL.gif
xS8PGty.gif

NfNHZ5f.gif
QzEAMJl.gif

oOF3OWX.gif
trsLNvS.gif

Trivia

• First appearance of Malcolm McDowell in the DCAU. He would go on to voice Metallo on Superman: The Animated Series.
  • This was Elizabeth Montgomery's last acting role before her death on May 18, 1995. This episode was first broadcast almost four months after her death. Montgomery was famous for her role of Samantha Stevens in the 1960s sitcom Bewitched.
  • The territorial governor is voiced by Patrick Leahy, the Democratic Senator from Vermont and (as of 2007) the chairman of the House Judiciary Committee. Leahy is a huge fan of the Batman comics, and also has small cameo appearances in the live-action films Batman and Robin, The Dark Knight, and The Dark Knight Rises.
  • David Warner and Malcolm McDowell appeared together in another time-travel adventure, the film Time After Time, in which H.G. Wells (McDowell) travels from Victorian England to modern-day San Francisco, in pursuit of Jack the Ripper (Warner).
  • There are at least two references to Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade:
    • Hex makes reference to himself being like a "bad penny".
    • Although Hex loses his hat, it somehow returns to him at the end of the episode.
  • In "The Demon's Quest", Ra's says he has no sons, which is why he wants Batman to be his heir. As of this time, it is likely that Ra's had lost track of Arkady, and in any case had already disowned him.
  • This was Jonah Hex's first appearance in the DC Animated Universe. He appears again, as a much younger man, in the episode "The Once and Future Thing Part One: Weird Western Tales" of Justice League Unlimited. Strangely, that episode takes place in 1879, only four years prior to this one, yet Hex seems to have aged several decades in between.

Historical References
  • The Phoenix is floated with hydrogen gas, which was the only gas used in airships until the early 1900s, and suffered from the disadvantage of being highly flammable. Helium, the non-flammable alternative, was first discovered in 1868 (15 years before the episode takes place), but the process of producing it was not discovered until the 1890s. Because the United States had a monopoly on helium production during the early years, hydrogen continued to be used in German airships until the 1950s, including the infamous Hindenburg, which caught fire and exploded in 1937.
  • Hydrogen burns with an almost invisible flame and, because it's lighter than air, rapidly rises. If a cannon ball did burst a cell and ignite the gas the cell in the blimp would quickly collapse and the flames would head up.
  • The first Transcontinental Railroad was actually completed in 1869, with the "golden spike" being ceremonially driven at Promontory, Utah. That railroad connected Sacramento, California, with Omaha, Nebraska.
  • A second line was completed in 1882, connecting Atchison, Kansas, with Santa Fe, New Mexico, with a further line running to Los Angeles, California.
  • Two railroads were completed in 1883, the year this episode takes place: the Southern Pacific Railroad, linking New Orleans, Louisiana, with Los Angeles, and the Northern Pacific Railway, linking Chicago, Illinois, with Seattle, Washington.
  • Duvall mentions being a Heidelberg fencing champion. Academic fencing was a craze in the late 1900s, especially at German universities like Heidelberg. Any scars, or "smites", resulting from the fight, would be seen as a badge of honor, and it appears Duvall suffered one too, on his right cheek. This is somewhat strange, as the smites were usually on the left side of the face, the result of a right-handed swordsman.

A virtually Batman-less episode, but an awesome one. I loved the Western setting. Jonah Hex was brilliant with some cracking diaglogue. McDowell was perfect as Duvall. And we got Elizabeth Montgomery of Bewitched fame playing a waitress.

I always liked Ra's Al Ghul's Spider-Man thugs.

Looking at the figures DC is coming out with for BTAS, I really hope they do the same with STAS. I want a Lex Luthor and a Brainiac, goddammit.

Batman TAS Episode: Catwalk

http://kane52630.tumblr.com/post/78822370765/catwalk-batman-the-animated-series

cjwxsOI.gif
BU7CfdV.gif

r6SASQ9.gif
1eNq7mI.gif

xwvskts.gif
fr8Wx9R.gif

YcFsUgH.gif
D2sf2el.gif

oAAxtkr.gif
HwUyz6J.gif

Trivia

• Scarface makes reference to Tweety's famous line "I tought I saw a putty tat".
  • The repeated phrase of "The cat who walks by herself" is a reference to the Rudyard Kipling's story "The Cat That Walked By Himself".
  • Catwoman's line "the lady or the tiger" is identical to that of her counterpart in the 1966 Batman TV series episode "The Purr-fect Crime".
  • When Scarface is speaking to Catwoman in the control room, Ventriloquist is using both of his arms to move Scarface's arms, yet Scarface's mouth is still moving.

I love this Catwoman and I think it's the best interpretation of the character.

One of my favourites and definitely the best Catwoman episode of the series.

Definitely the best Catwoman interpretation overall.

When Scarface is speaking to Catwoman in the control room, Ventriloquist is using both of his arms to move Scarface's arms, yet Scarface's mouth is still moving.
Omigod, that drove me CRAZY. Between that and the close-ups of Scarface talking all expressively, smiling and moving his eyebrows and everything, it's like the animators just forgot that he's supposed to be made of wood.

I loved this show's interpretation of Catwoman, but oddly enough I found most of her episodes rather tedious.

I loved this show's interpretation of Catwoman, but oddly enough I found most of her episodes rather tedious.

Yeah, she didn't really inspire any of my favorite episodes like some of the other villains did.

I liked her in "Almost Got 'Im," but she's barely in it.

On paper, I like the characterization, but her episodes were always very bland.

Batman TAS Episode: The Lion and the Unicorn

http://kane52630.tumblr.com/post/79038828594/the-lion-and-the-unicorn-batman-the-animated

dnBNv42.gif
DayynPf.gif

2TUtJZm.gif
lSFumiV.gif

0D0fzxw.gif
Emvg6T7.gif

QXzs8U7.gif
tZq92AQ.gif

xfWiPd2.gif
SBvdRuy.gif

Trivia

• The Lion and the Unicorn are the supporters of the Royal Coat of Arms of the United Kingdom. It is an analogue for Great Britain that has been used in a nursery rhyme; Alfred's part of the code is the first two lines of the song.
  • Struggling against the truth serum, Alfred quotes the opening lines of The Brook and later on The Charge of the Light Brigade both by his namesake, Alfred Tennyson.
  • While struggling with Batman from the seat behind his, Red Claw tears off his cowl. It is never made clear whether she gets a good look at his face before he ejects her.
  • This is the second time Alfred has been menaced by one of Batman's rogues for reasons having nothing to do with him being Batman; the first was in "Eternal Youth", when Poison Ivy sought revenge on Bruce Wayne for an environmental crime almost committed by a greedy Wayne Enterprises director (without Bruce's approval). Mr. Freeze likewise attacked Alfred in The New Batman Adventures, "Cold Comfort", because of his emotional importance to Bruce.
  • Alfred refers to the smashed piece of furniture as a "Louis Quinze" (quinze being French for the number fifteen), indicating it was made in the period of design associated with King Louis XV of France.
  • Batman repeated the attempt to shoot down a nuclear missile in the Justice League Unlimited episode, "The Doomsday Sanction".
  • Peter Morwood is credited as "Philip Morwood".
  • In the credits, Roy Dotrice's name is misspelled "Doctrice".
  • When Alfred tells Bruce he is in London, Bruce asks, "London, England?", to which Alfred replies, "There is only one". Though this may simply be a mistake on Alfred's part, there are actually several Londons throughout the United States, and one in Ontario, Canada.
  • Blairquhan Castle is an actual castle in Scotland. However, contrary to its portrayal in this episode, it's not on Scotland's west coast or on an outlying rock, but further inland.

That was very good, I didn't know she worked on some films as well not just animation. I loved scores for BATMAN & SUPERMAN animated series. I loved her piece on Two-Face in BTAS. R.I.P. Shirley Walker: She will be always be remembered.

Yeah I knew of her movie work pre BTAS I LOVED her score for Memoirs of An Invisible man one of my fave guilty pleasure movies.

I hear a LOT of the style of music she would later use for the TAS sadly there was never a full soundtrack version of it and the one that was out is missing a LOT of the music :(.

Last edited:
I found this, Walker talks about scoring Batman

[YT]Ge5HZuKd9Bc[/YT]

Great talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"