The Official Costume Thread - - - - Part 13

Discussion in 'Man of Steel' started by Thread Manager, Aug 8, 2011.

?

Should Cavill's Superman costume include the Red Trunks?

1. The Trunks stay!

2. The Trunks gotta go!

3. I don't care if the Trunks stay or go!

4. The Trunks stay!

5. The Trunks gotta go!

6. I don't care if the Trunks stay or go!

7. The Trunks stay!

8. The Trunks gotta go!

9. I don't care if the Trunks stay or go!

10. The Trunks stay!

11. The Trunks gotta go!

12. I don't care if the Trunks stay or go!

13. The Trunks stay!

14. The Trunks gotta go!

15. I don't care if the Trunks stay or go!

16. The Trunks stay!

17. The Trunks gotta go!

18. I don't care if the Trunks stay or go!

19. The Trunks stay!

20. The Trunks gotta go!

21. I don't care if the Trunks stay or go!

22. The Trunks stay!

23. The Trunks gotta go!

24. I don't care if the Trunks stay or go!

25. The Trunks stay!

26. The Trunks gotta go!

27. I don't care if the Trunks stay or go!

28. The Trunks stay!

29. The Trunks gotta go!

30. I don't care if the Trunks stay or go!

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GreenKToo

GreenKToo In the fire

Trunks or not, it looks good.

2. jocal62

jocal62 Bass Guitar and Vocals

I already made a similar comment about the 'golf ball' texture at Caped Wonder.com's Facebook page. My real question would be, if there really is a Superman, of what use is the 'golf ball' effect on his flight, since he already has all that power to thrust him into the air? Will air friction actually stop or slow down the real Superman? Highly unlikely.

Plus, we who grew up in the Superman mythos know that in the Superman 'world', his costume is only to keep him clothed or to identify him apart from other super powered beings, not to help him during flight. In the same manner, I don't see the point of putting texture on Superman's costume, but that's just me...:brucebat:

3. mystory64

mystory64 Graphic Artist Esquire

*edit* Meh I've decided to stay out of it lol back to lurk mode

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  4. GreenKToo

GreenKToo In the fire

Personally, I think its just for looks. Why would supes need an aerodynamic suit anyway. I mean he has super-strength and the power to defy gravity, so drag should be no problem for him.

5. KalMart

KalMart 239-Bean Irish Chili

What's the point of the costume to begin with? :oldrazz::woot:

6. tantuspatronus

tantuspatronus Well-Known Member

Am I the only one feeling like superheroes these days are becoming less and less like "heroes." Superman is the last of a dying breed, I hope they don't make him too dark and modern like so many other superheroes.

7. KalMart

KalMart 239-Bean Irish Chili

Well, he's pretty much already the oldest of the old to a lot of people, so there's always a question as to whether the concept has outgrown its originator over the course of changing times and sensibilities. But I don't think you have to change him to be 'darker/grittier', or what have you. Change the circumstances and the stakes in the story to be darker, more modern and more severe, and in that regard, Superman's more 'old-school' heroic and peaceful sensibilities can shine through even more refreshingly. They have to take advantage of the scope of danger and spectacle that they can put on the big screens these days...lord knows Transformers has.

I don't see it as a dying breed....more like a very aging and slowing breed that's just going to stay there forever.

The fact that he's Superman, and he can fly, and he's super-strong isn't enough because we see a lot of that everywhere. The fact that he represents the truest and most moral of values isn't enough either. But it's not so much that we need a 'modernized' Superman...we need some more modern and sophisticated storytelling to put him into, perhaps something that breaks out of that time-worn formulaic hero-story narrative that every movie and its brother uses. Is that overcompensating? Maybe, maybe not. But any old patterns and formulas would feel even moreso with Superman, but if he wants to be a top-tier popular hero in movies again, instead of plain-ol' Superman yet again, he'll need some help from the filmmakers in terms of what sort of new/modern/engaging package of a story they put him in, even if he's still the same Superman at heart.

8. tantuspatronus

I agree with you for the most part, the story telling in Superman movies has always seemed to be on the low end. That was fine back in the 70's and 80's, when Superhero movies were a rare thing. But with 3 or 4 a year now, the movie has to stand on it's own, not on the simple fact it's a comic book hero come to life.

I agree with what you say, about making the situations and stories more modern around an "aged" character. Maybe they should focus on showing him as man out of his time. A man who was raised on morals that the rest of the world has forgotten. To me, it makes him stand out more, and further develope his character when he stands apart from everyone else.

9. Doc Samson

Doc Samson Superhero Psychiatrist

I agree, sort of. I don't think there's any place anywhere for a "dark, gritty" Superman, that's just not what the character is about.

On the otherhand though, I do think that this type of persona in superheroes isn't what audiences gravitate to nowadays. I do think there needs to be some sort of modernization for this movie to really work, and I mean of him even more than plot or storytelling. I think SR tried to tell a modern story, perhaps with a little more action it may have worked (and another Lois Lane, and no baby, and another villain....)

I was actually surprised Captain America even had the success it did because of these similar qualities, but then again, that was also his first movie as opposed to a 6th. I want this to work, hopefully Goyer really found something different to wrap the familiar package in.

10. Supermanila

Supermanila Well-Known Member

anybody seen this, about.com is claiming that it's an official teaser poster

[​IMG]

EDIT: Nevermind, looks like it's fan made

11. gimmen64

gimmen64 Well-Known Member

Looks sweet. Im stoked about this movie.

12. socool

socool True

No way it's real. The boots are a different material than the official picture shows.

13. The Red Hood

The Red Hood Well-Known Member

If only the shield looked like that...

14. --Zero-Ethic--

--Zero-Ethic-- Well-Known Member

It's a manip one of the guys did in the Manip thread ages ago.
    Zorex i think is his name.

15. Indy Flash

Indy Flash Archeological Speedster

I like the suit.

16. Asgard

Asgard Kanga Fu

Itd be pretty weird for the shield on the cape not match the one on the chest.

I like the official shield better.

17. Rowsdower!

Rowsdower! Well-Known Member

I like (what we come to accept as) the traditional shield better, but I don't have any issues with the new one. It is, after all, still faithful to the comic book design... just an older shield design that the one that's been used it recent years. I'm not sure why they decided to do with that one, but I prefer it to some designs and design concepts we've seen over the years. For example, Kingdom Come is probably my favorite comic book miniseries of all time and I love Alex Ross... but I HATED the S redesign in that book. It looked like some sort of weird backwards 7 or something. I also didn't care for the S design in that Superman Flyby concept.

18. BrlntDsgse

BrlntDsgse Well-Known Member

I actually tried it the day the pic came out, got the same completely red "hits" in the trunks area (so dark that it looks black to the naked eye, but a really dark, dark red) but when I posted my results some people were writing it off by saying "try the color picker on the main blue areas of the suit, you'll find a few random red pixels there too" even though it's not just a few scattered red pixels here and there....it's the ENTIRE trunks area. That, along with the fact that the rest of the suit is so classic, makes me believe that there will be trunks when we get a clearer look at the suit.

19. tantuspatronus

I would like something like that for the official teaser. It would be a good way of letting us know the shield is really on the back of the cape, how I hope it is.

20. Naite22

Naite22 Well-Known Member

Fake or real, doesn't change the fact that this is a really bad poster!

Even with a small thing like the teaser poster, they NEED to make it matter. It needs to showcase that this is new times. New superman like never seen before! The above doesn't say ****. People would look at that and say, hmm, the sequel to 2006's Returns. Whatever... This just wont do.

And be original about it damn it! Have Superman in the fortress, seen kneeling from the back at the end of a long icey staircase right in front of a giant ice tower, where the crystal image of Russel "Jor-El" Crow is seen. Maybe bring a tag-line along the lines of "Witness the Rebirth". YES people, that alone would be better then the above... this has fake written all over it.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  21. Godzilla2014

Godzilla2014 Deadpan Snarker

To me, the Kingdom Come :super: suggests fascist imagery to me. Judging by the themes of Kingdom Come, that may not be entirely coincidental.

22. Kurosawa

Kurosawa Well-Known Member

The pattern of the costume doesn't really bother me, because in the traditional explanation where the suit is made from the baby blankets, they are described as a "weird alien material" so the idea that Kryptonian cloth would be different from Earth cloth is okay with me, even if that isn't the origin of the suit in the movie.

23. Gamma Goliath

Gamma Goliath Engine of Destruction

Agreed. :up:

24. Rowsdower!

Rowsdower! Well-Known Member

Possibly, considering that Supes goes a bit authoritarian there.

25. Stephen K. Hone

Stephen K. Hone Well-Known Member

That's what I believe also. If he didn't have trunks it would be better imo to reveal the whole costume, so that people have more time to become accustomed to that look. If he does in fact have trunks (what with everything else being updated classic, it just makes sense) the negative reaction towards them will be minimal at best. Snyder is just having a little fun with the fans.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.