Civil War The Official Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man Thread

What? No way.

I mean obviously his strength levels have fluctuated a lot over the years but I prefer him on the lower end of the scale, like straining somewhat to lift a good size car.

Like I hated the train scene in Raimi 2, that whole bit with his leg breaking hundreds of railroad ties as he slowed the train down really felt over the top to me.

Last edited:
What? No way.

I mean obviously his strength levels have fluctuated a lot over the years but I prefer him on the lower end of the scale, like straining somewhat to lift a good size car.

Like I hated the train scene in Raimi 2, that whole bit with his leg breaking hundreds of railroad ties as he slowed the train down really felt over the top to me.

Lifting a 2-3 ton car isn't much of a feat. Spiderman can lift between 15-20 tons. Still, like you said, this definitely puts him at the lower end of the spectrum in regards to super strength. Spidey only possesses a fraction of the strength of heavyweights such as Iron Man and Captain Marvel.

The train scene was a little over the top, but compare that to a comic where he's supporting The Daily Bugle building on his back. The writer of that comic was being a bit silly, briefly giving him Hulk-like strength.

Like I said, I prefer when he tends towards the low end of the scale, topping out around ten tons at most. He's not BenchPress-Man.

Spiderman can lift up to 10 tons. I don't know exactly how the ironman armors exoskeleton can lift

He shouldn't be straining to lift a car, that's Luke Cage levels, straining to lift a truck perhaps.

I never took his Spider-strength as literal (in reality, an insect's weight lifting is more attributable to the scaling paradox than some inherent strength - a spider the size of Peter Parker would actually struggle with his own body weight). But car lifting range feels about right to me. Make it something beyond human ability, but not too far beyond. Then, if he ever gets the Symbiote suit, make it much stronger so there's a clear point of comparison.

Do people have to pick apart every single statement? Substitute ' civilian road vehicles' for 'car' if it makes you happier. Ten tons will will get you into heavy duty pick-up weights but leave things like garbage trucks and dump trucks out of his lifting range.

That's probably more research than any comic writer ever bothered to do, considering the various feats he's displayed in the books over the years (struggling with a dumpster one issue, lifting a jet plane a few issues later)

why not?

Spiderman has actual superpowers unlike Iron Man

Exacly iron man is just a guy in a suit. That is like how people say batman would win in a fight agest any one. If batman and sm fought batman would get destrode.

I never took his Spider-strength as literal (in reality, an insect's weight lifting is more attributable to the scaling paradox than some inherent strength - a spider the size of Peter Parker would actually struggle with his own body weight). But car lifting range feels about right to me. Make it something beyond human ability, but not too far beyond. Then, if he ever gets the Symbiote suit, make it much stronger so there's a clear point of comparison.

I did lol and I think spiders can left like 60 times there weight and there are some animals that can lift like 100 times there weight. Know that would mean some one who weighs like 150 if they could lift 60 times they could lift like 9000 lbs and it was said I belive in the comics that he could lift like 10000 lbs. Also I belive that venom was about 3 times has strong so he could lift like 30000. While sm is not the strongest super hero like some one like super man or something he is still pretty darn strong.

Spiderman can lift up to 10 tons. I don't know exactly how the ironman armors exoskeleton can lift

I don't know but also streght is like how much could they take when it comes to getting hit and I think sm could take a lot more then iron man when it comes to that.

Exacly iron man is just a guy in a suit. That is like how people say batman would win in a fight agest any one. If batman and sm fought batman would get destrode.

Just a guy in a suit? That was pre-extremis Iron Man. I don't know where Tony is now with his armor, but IIRC his armor is now a part of him. While both Iron Man and Batman are just men, Batman wears a costume, Iron Man wears a suit of armor that grants him superhuman strength and endurance. There's a HUGE difference in power levels between Batman and Ironamn.

why not?

Spiderman has actual superpowers unlike Iron Man

Which only matters if Spiderman could get past his armor, which he can't. Spiderman can lift between 15-20 tons. Ironman can lift up to 100 tons. There's no contest really.

I don't know but also streght is like how much could they take when it comes to getting hit and I think sm could take a lot more then iron man when it comes to that.

Can Spiderman take hits from artillery, tanks shells, bombs? I don't think so.

Just a guy in a suit? That was pre-extremis Iron Man. I don't know where Tony is now with his armor, but IIRC his armor is now a part of him. While both Iron Man and Batman are just men, Batman wears a costume, Iron Man wears a suit of armor that grants him superhuman strength and endurance. There's a HUGE difference in power levels between Batman and Ironamn.

Ok sure Iron man is stronger then batman but still I don't think the suit gives him the abblite to withstand getting hit like sm strength dose.

Which only matters if Spiderman could get past his armor, which he can't. Spiderman can lift between 15-20 tons. Ironman can lift up to 100 tons. There's no contest really.

Can iron man really lift that much?

Can Spiderman take hits from artillery, tanks shells, bombs? I don't think so.

sm 1 he took a bomb right to the face, went though a wall and was kicked and punched about a hundred times. Sm2 he stopped a moving train.

Ok sure Iron man is stronger then batman but still I don't think the suit gives him the abblite to withstand getting hit like sm strength dose.

Can iron man really lift that much?

Spiderman actually hurt his fist one time after punching Ironman. Iron Man is incredibly durable in the comics. He has been known to tank nuclear blasts. I'm sure SM wouldn't pose much of a threat to him.

Since the Extremis armor, IM has been able lift at least 100 tons, so yes. It's impossible to know exactly how strong he is in the movies since that has never been outright stated or quantified.

Here's a list of many of IM feats: http://www.reddit.com/r/respectthreads/comments/2c6bqx/respect_iron_man/

Last edited:
sm 1 he took a bomb right to the face, went though a wall and was kicked and punched about a hundred times. Sm2 he stopped a moving train.

The explosion is nothing compared to IM blowing up a leviathan from the inside and surviving the explosion. The feat in stopping the train was impressive, but was done using the combined strength of his webbing and his own physical strength.

I'd like to see a relation to the proportional strength of a spider. Leaping abilities included.

how far can a spider leap?

Apparently a jumping spider can jump 25 times it's body length vertically up, which means a 6ft Spider-man could jump 150ft.

Which looks like this

article-2333889-1A150AE5000005DC-209_634x552.jpg

Which seems a bit excessive for just a vertical leap.

Apparently a jumping spider can jump 25 times it's body length vertically up, which means a 6ft Spider-man could jump 150ft.

Which looks like this

article-2333889-1A150AE5000005DC-209_634x552.jpg

Which seems a bit excessive for just a vertical leap.

mmm interesting what about horizotely? I wonder how far he jump when he was jumping between buildings in sm 1.

mmm interesting what about horizotely? I wonder how far he jump when he was jumping between buildings in sm 1.

Not entirely surely, one would assume horizontal is a lot bigger than vertical and also his running jump would be insane if you used that scale.

Of course scientifically it is all a bit moot, spiders are only stronger because of 'scaling' which wouldn't apply to Spidey, and they can only jump and run faster etc because of the way their joints are which again doesn't apply to Spidey.

They need to just go ok, this is how strong he is, this is how far he can jump and stuff, stretch it a bit for cinematic reasons but don't go ridiculous.

I think they should have it so Spider-man could take some punches from Iron Man but would mostly have to just evade using his agility, and shoot webs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"