The Official Green Lantern Thread III: Brighter! Greener! Shinier! Lantern...ier...! - Part 2

I thought it was said when the relaunch first happened that Superman never died?

Nah, right at the beginning of Swamp Thing they confirmed Superman died.

Morrison recently mentioned it again in Action Comics. Lightning Lad or Saturn Girl, I think, mentioned something about Superman dying "a second and final time" and how that spelled doom for the future or something.

I wisely skipped the third army crap but I skimmed through the first 3 parts of this first lantern thing then bought the books cause it seemed decent and it's pretty good. Hope Johns and Mahnke go out on a high note.

I tire of Volthoom already. I hoped he'd play up "Alex in the fridge" more in NG.

I've only been reading Green Lantern, but for quite a while it has felt like I am just reading I out of loyalty/obligation. This last issue didn't help. It wasn't terrible. It just hasn't clicked for me in a while.

when do you guys think we'll see EvilStar? I miss him. They need to take the focus away from the different colored spectrums for a while and focus on galactic CRIME! I also miss reading about Coast City and how are they doing with the rebuilding and repopulating...where is the GL I loved from the 90's (pre Kyle)?

I wisely skipped the third army crap but I skimmed through the first 3 parts of this first lantern thing then bought the books cause it seemed decent and it's pretty good. Hope Johns and Mahnke go out on a high note.

Wait... are the Lantern titles tieing into each other? I thought this was another 'crossover' like Rise of the Third Army where each title is telling it's own stories around the same basic threat.

I mean that they're literally labeled "Wrath of the First Lantern" parts 1, 2 and 3 on the headers of each book. Yeah they pretty much keep in line with the overall narrative of their respective ongoing threads despite all being intertwined through an event. It's been that way for years now.

Wait... are the Lantern titles tieing into each other? I thought this was another 'crossover' like Rise of the Third Army where each title is telling it's own stories around the same basic threat.

I picked up all of the Rise of the Third Army issues, but was a bit disappointed in that event. I only started to realize a couple issues in that the story was told in the way you mentioned above: each one telling its own story based on the same threat of the Third Army. It wasn't like H'el on Earth, where each part picks up where the previous book left off, so you need to read every issue, alternating the different titles.

I always assumed that a "crossover" was specifically like the H'el on Earth model, and an "event" is something like Rise of the Third Army. But perhaps I'm thinking about this too hard. :p

Hahaha loved how the first lantern couldn't mess with Larfleeze. That was great

Finally got around to readin GL #20. End of an era y'all. Wasn't superb or anything but I loved it nonetheless. Sinestro in too form ad usual

i skipped third army and first lantern..only read GL #20 and i thought it was amazing. great ending to the GL era I know and love. That being said, some new writer will use Sinestro in a few months and turn him evil again. :rolleyes:

#21 was okay, i'll stick around for a few more.

I thought GL#20 was amazing too, but maybe needed a few more pages, like how did Hal manage to chain Nekron back up, and lose the black ring?

I'm wondering if theirs any graphic novels with John Stewart as the protagonist in it that are worth reading? I haven't read much of Stewart except his appearances in some of the Geoff Johns comics I got. Any recommendations?

Can't seem to find it in graphic novel format. Has it been collected in tpb?

Another question, I recently got the Brightest Day TPB and then I noticed they also have Volume 1-3. The graphic novel I got isn't listed as a volume. Is this a series that take place after the main story? And is it required reading before jumping into War of The Green Lanterns?

Last edited:
Are you talking about Green Lantern's Brightest Day tpb? Because Brightest Day 1-3 is a separate thing. The first issue or two of Brightest Day and Green Lantern (set during the Brightest Day) tie-in a little, but it isn't necessary to read either.

Green Lantern's Brightest Day trade follows the adventures of Hal Jordan post-Blackest Night. The Brightest Day series (vol. 1-3) follows the other heroes who were resurrected at the end of Blackest Night. Hal only makes a cameo here and there.

And the Brightest Day story in general wasn't all that good. Only interesting portions were Deadman's story.

Are there any TBPs that collect all of Johns' GL arcs?

There's one for each arc.

Secret Origin
Rebirth
No Fear
Revenge of the Green Lanterns
Wanted: Hal Jordan
Sinestro Corps War Vol. I
Sinestro Corps War Vol. 2
Rage of the Red Lanterns
Agent Orange
Blackest Night
Blackest Night: Green Lantern
Brightest Day
War of the Green Lanterns
Sinestro

Then I don't think the ones for Revenge of Black Hand, Rise of the Third Army, and Wrath of the First Lantern yet.

Damn, I got me a lot of books to get. Wouldn't even be thinking about it at the moment had I not picked up a few books at the SA last week.

I think they're reprinting them all in omnibus form if you'd rather have one giant book. I'm pretty sure I've seen the first volume on my LCS's shelf.

Those are older GL issues, as far as I know. Not the Johns series. Wouldn't mind an omnibus for them, though I doubt it since the series has 3 Absolute editions.

Excellent montage Avy, highfivingMF. Made me shortly laugh out loud!

I gotta say I love that the only ones on that list I don't own or haven't read are Secret Origin, Wanted: Hal Jordan, No Fear and Revenge of The Green Lanterns. Was Hal still Spectre during Secret Origin or what? I always forget that Rebirth wasn't Johns' first story

Hal was Spectre during Rebirth, but Parallax infected his soul, not just his body.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"