The Official Lex Luthor Casting Thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, if Lex has no presence in this, I think its pretty much our fault.
We ( fans in general ) were complaining ( me included ) about Lex, and how there was no supervillain in the last film....

Still, its hard to imagine at least no mention of Lex somehow somewhere in MOS.

tatum was awesome in GTRYS

i have come to a fact he is playing the wrong characters

He was really good in Public Enemies. Those are the types of characters he should be playing. The kind that die before they get a chance to speak.

Yea me to...it clearly shows how much they don't get Lex when they say that. I can understand if they don't want him to play a big role but not wanting him at all ever in this franchise?.....sigh

I think lex should be in the franchise. With that said if he's not in the film, its not going to make or break the film. Hints would surely help for a sequel to know this character is around but you have to do things one film at a time. This movie has zod, plus superman's origin.

I would rather they do something meaningful with lex, then shoehorn him in there.

Plus lex luthor as a villain actually gives lois and clark being reporters a purpose. They will actually be able to investigate him because he's not a bad guy you can punch. Which is why I don't understand why people would rather have darkseid over luthor. Luthor provides so much more story potential for superman's character than darkseid ever could.

He was really good in Public Enemies. Those are the types of characters he should be playing. The kind that die before they get a chance to speak.
see you were joking i was'nt

tatum is playing lead good guys when his best performance was of a tortured soul type of character and was far from a good guy

It's like saying we shouldn't have the Joker in the post-Nolan Batman series because we've seen him twice on film. :doh: You can't have Batman without the Joker and you cannot have Superman without Lex. The characters have too much thematic importance, we need them to understand our heroes fully.

I agree. I just hope the next person to play the Joker can do as good a job as Heath. What boggles my mind is people saying they shouldn't bring the Joker back because Heath is dead. Ummmm....not to sound cold but, so what? He wasn't the first Joker and he won't be the last people. Lex needs to be in this movie just as much as the Joker needs to be in a Batman movie!

I think lex should be in the franchise. With that said if he's not in the film, its not going to make or break the film. Hints would surely help for a sequel to know this character is around but you have to do things one film at a time. This movie has zod, plus superman's origin.

I would rather they do something meaningful with lex, then shoehorn him in there.

Plus lex luthor as a villain actually gives lois and clark being reporters a purpose. They will actually be able to investigate him because he's not a bad guy you can punch. Which is why I don't understand why people would rather have darkseid over luthor. Luthor provides so much more story potential for superman's character than darkseid ever could.

Yea I'm fine with that, ofcourse if the story would allow lex in MOS I would prefer but I'm ok with him not physically being in the flim...there's others that come on here, and I think they aren't regular posters(you can tell lol) but they say lex has been done to death!!!..new villain!! Wah wah!....Just like you said, there's so much potential for the reporter side of Clark, as well as Lois to do what they do best, and I'm hoping Goyer knows that, and whoever lent a hand in writing the script and for future films

Im new here but here is my 2 cents...I thought Kevin Spacy was the greatest thing about Superman Returns and I think him working with Nolan and Snyder would be great. If he had a better script which he would in this case he would have only been better. He is a great actor, not the best but up at the top. He is a very convincing person.

Man of Steel is a reboot, which means no Spacy.

I thought he was horrible as Lex honestly. And I don't even hate SR. :huh:

Spacy was sadly, wasted potential. :( I think he could have done a better job with a different script.

he was terrible i for once just want a lex luthor that is intimidating

thats so much to ask for?

someone like jason isaacs for example

Survey says! Maybe! :awesome:

If you dont think Spacy can be intimidating watch Seven man. Hes pretty psycho. Hes a great actor.

Man of Steel is a reboot, which means no Spacy.
I know, Im saying should he be given a second chance...
Im not saying he should absolutely be it Im saying as an option and comparison. With a better script (and I love Bryan Singer so idk what happened exactly...) he would have done it, and with Nolan and Snyder they could make a great character true to the comics but original

I thought he was horrible as Lex honestly. And I don't even hate SR. :huh:
Oh and for the record I dont hate SR either. I think its better then the average cbm has been in the past 10 years (and so do the critics, the reviews were better than people probably think). Chris Nolan and Bryan Singer are my 2 favorite cbm directors so far. Sure SR was a slip for him but it has its moments it was just underdeveloped in terms of script and writing and they might have well choosen Keanu Reeves to play superman because thats practically what we got anywyas.....

Im new here but here is my 2 cents...I thought Kevin Spacy was the greatest thing about Superman Returns and I think him working with Nolan and Snyder would be great. If he had a better script which he would in this case he would have only been better. He is a great actor, not the best but up at the top. He is a very convincing person.

I thought Spacey was the worst thing about MOS if I'm honest :(

Best thing was without a doubt some of the visual moments. Brandon Routh was okay. Everything else lies between kinda dull and completely sucks.

I think it was flawed, but I blame the script and writing more than him. Ive hardly ever see him play a bad role. He dosnt quite have the look Ill admit but give him a good script and he can do anything, and I think what he did even with SR was pretty good for it.

I think it was flawed, but I blame the script and writing more than him. Ive hardly ever see him play a bad role. He dosnt quite have the look Ill admit but give him a good script and he can do anything, and I think what he did even with SR was pretty good for it.

Don't get me wrong, I like Kevin Spacey usually. Loved him in Seven and especially K-Pax. I was incredibly excited about him being Lex.

And yeah, it is partly the script, making him into a bit of a doofus. But he just felt sort of... Giddy sometimes. Gleeful. In a way that's more like Joker than Lex. For example, when he said 'Kryyyyyyptonite' in that sing song voice, or when he was talking to Lois on the ship and did that god awful delivery of WROOOONG.

I want a Lex that's cool, calm and charming on the outside, but malicious and vindictive on the inside. Threatening with a look, trustworthy with a smile.

I don't see Spacey pulling that off at all. He doesn't have that Lex charisma IMO.

Basically, he tried to do Gene Hackman's Lex. But as much as I'm not a fan of the old movies, even Gene Hackman was better, more intimidating. And they were basically working with the same material and same characterisation.

I kinda agree. Spacey is a credible actor, no argument about that, but I think in SR he took Hackman's Luthor as his base to work from and then hammed it up - but a little too much.

Hackman's Luthor was certainly egotistical and pompous, prone to smiling at his own intelligence a lot ............................... but he wasn't theatrical, per se. I felt there was a little too much theatricality from Spacey - as mentioned above, most notably in the way he presented some of his lines ("Krrrrrrrryptonite!", and "WROOOONG!!!!") and also in some of his movements. As Spacey has a fairly extensive history of theatre work (which tends to be louder and and calls for more movements/body work than films), this was probably to be expected.

I also felt the whole stabbing scene was not something that Luthor would have done, but that's an argument for another day lol ..................................

God, what an excellent choice! Never came up with him!

Has anyone seen Horrible Bosses?

header-horrible-bosses-kevin-spacey-530x234.jpg

Apparently tons of pop culture outlets (MTV etc) list Kevin Spacey's performance in that as one of the most entertaining villian performances of all time.

He could have been a fantastic Lex Luthor under a different script.

He was great in Horrible Bosses. And many other films. There's no argument the guy's a great actor, just that he seemed to overdo it slightly in SR.

I think some people are missing the point about Spacey...with a different script and under different direction he could have done a much better job. It really falls on the shoulders of the director and how they instruct the actor to portray the character

I think some people are missing the point about Spacey...with a different script and under different direction he could have done a much better job. It really falls on the shoulders of the director and how they instruct the actor to portray the character
Exactly. Thats my biggest point. If Nolan and Snyder told him to read tons of comics and told him NOT to look to Hackmens Lex he could dig deep and find something great. Hes not my only choice, but I think hes worth a second shot. Blaaah whatever Ill just throw out some other people tho lol...I like the guy who brought up Patrick Willson (he was great in Watchman) and Daniel Craig. Craig has alot of tallant and he has the look (more so than Spacy which is one of few things he did sort of lack) and Ive always wanted to see him play a villain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"