The Official Lex Luthor Casting Thread - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know why some folks want to see an old Lex. Personally, I think he should be youngish. Not boyish, but youngish.

I think by making him youngish instead of oldish, his downfall and jealousy of Superman will have more impact.

I'm fine with anything up to 50 personally. And even then, if it were the right person and they looked good for 50, i'd still be happy with it.

I think people forget how many great actors are in their late 40s now, even though they don't look it.

I want to see a youngish and headstrong Lex rise to the top.

If Lexcorp, already exists, then I'd go for older.

James Franco is 34 right now. So when he makes the movie he'll probably be 35-37. Not bad

Daniel Day-Lewis by the way is 55 years old. He definitely ages well

35-45 is good for me. Dont want younger than that or older.

I think people forget how many great actors are in their late 40s now, even though they don't look it.

That's a good point.....and a lot of people mention RDJ and Paltrow as examples, but I don't see it. They look older...not old, but older. I do think it is possible an actor is his 40s can pull it off, especially considering what can be done with make-up, but I wouldn't want him to look older than that.

Well yeah, and I just don't think these guys should be ruled out for being in their late 40s. They still have a great look for a modern take on the role.

Clive Owen - 47

06.jpg

Jason Isaacs - 49

jason-isaacs-awake.jpg

(both recent images)

I got it!

Sinead O'Conner! :o

If she sorts out her personal issues, she'd be a great Lex :o

Well yeah, and I just don't think these guys should be ruled out for being in their late 40s. They still have a great look for a modern take on the role.

Clive Owen - 47

Jason Isaacs - 49

I don't know about Clive. Issacs yeah, but Clive...no.

See my problem with this is there are all types of oldish Hollywood types who could pull it off. Brad Pitt comes to mind as someone who is still good looking, but consider him in MoneyBall where is trying to play someone younger. He still looks older. Yeah, he looks good, but he still looks older.

I truly think Lex should look youngish. Not too young, but not old in his 50s or late 40s. If had some sort of choice over casting, I would try to stay away from anyone over 45 because I think that's the oldest you can go. Downey does look 40 in IM, but he's 50. So, I'm going with the equation that you can get away with +/- 10 years.

When I look back on Spacey and Hackman's Lex, I feel the characterization would have been better suited to a younger, more childish Lex.

Rosenbaum's characterization was suited to an older more mature Lex, and he was a younger version of the character!

It just depends on the characterization more than the age of the actor IMO.

I truly think Lex should look youngish. Not too young, but not old in his 50s or late 40s. If had some sort of choice over casting, I would try to stay away from anyone over 45 because I think that's the oldest you can go. Downey does look 40 in IM, but he's 50. So, I'm going with the equation that you can get away with +/- 10 years.

I just prefer an interpretation where Lex is clearly older than Clark. Not so old he looks the same age as Jonathon or Jor-el, but old enough that there is clearly an age gap there.

Lex and Clark being of a similar age just never sits all that well with me.

It just depends on the characterization more than the age of the actor IMO.

Agreed.

I can see that, but I think if he's youngish it will make his downfall more exciting to watch. I guess for me I also want Lex to start off with hair and lose the hair later on. If he's already bald then I guess he can be old....lol

I just prefer an interpretation where Lex is clearly older than Clark. Not so old he looks the same age as Jonathon or Jor-el, but old enough that there is clearly an age gap there.

Lex and Clark being of a similar age just never sits all that well with me.

I agree. The contrast between an old Lex just works so well with a youthful Superman. It gives Lex one more reason to despise him.

Him being older works better for his "downfall." It's more poetic when a Lex who has worked hard for decades to get where he is (be it master criminal scientist, CEO or both) suddenly blows it all away to destroy a man who, in Lex's eyes has not achieved greatness through years of hard work but had it thrust upon him by the fact his alien DNA. Not only is Superman stealing Lex's thunder but he hasn't even earned the right to do that. It just adds yet another dimension to their relationship.

I agree. The contrast between an old Lex just works so well with a youthful Superman. It gives Lex one more reason to despise him.

Him being older works better for his "downfall." It's more poetic when a Lex who has worked hard for decades to get where he is (be it master criminal scientist, CEO or both) suddenly blows it all away to destroy a man who, in Lex's eyes has not achieved greatness through years of hard work but had it thrust upon him by the fact his alien DNA. Not only is Superman stealing Lex's thunder but he hasn't even earned the right to do that. It just adds yet another dimension to their relationship.

This.

I love their relationship when it is handled like that. It is absolutely the best way of doing it IMO.

it's not about age but looks imo both mark strong and jason isaacs are pushing 50 yet both would make an intimidating bad ass lex

:up:

Mark Strong suits this angle more than ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"