The Official Mjolnir Thread

Its loss in this movie's case made him completely mortal, but that may have been because Odin specifically took all his powers when he banished Thor and bound them to the hammer with that magic symbol. Not really sure whether losing the hammer in the movies would make him lose all of his powers normally because all we have to go on is this one movie, and it never came up here.

Cool. I didn't know the runes on the hammer actually meant anything.
I translated it awhile ago. lol It's been in that Mjolnir Thread in the Thor World since it hit the store. lol

I really love the depiction of Mjolnir in this movie, from the cool-sounding name to the myriad of ways that Thor could utilize its powers. From the throw that can fallen several frost giants at once, the lightning & storm that it can generate, to the flight it grants to Thor and the shockwave it creates when Thor slams Mjolnir to the ground...every power feels like it came from the god and not something conjured up from a lab or test site. I also feel that the retrieval of Mjolnir was the key plot of the movie, and it feels like a living entity and not just as a tool for Thor to use whenever he wishes, because it chooses who to serve as its master. Just an amazing weapon through and through.

I really hope the next film does a flash back to Thor as a kid, having to basically go through trials to be able to lift Mjolnir. Tales of Asgard showed Odin giving him quests that would not only build his physical Strength, but his Strength of Will.

I think Marvel's probably gonna be content to leave that in the animated Tales of Asgard movie next week. They probably want to keep pushing forward with the live-action movies.

It does seem that Mjolnir isn't as powerful as in the comics. Mjolnir in the comics allows Thor dimensional travel, transmutation and a whole host of other exotic things.

But to be honest, when was the last time Thor used Mjolnir in the comics besides battering people with it and summoning lightning? lol.

I think Odin was under powered too. He wouldn't need to fight those Frost Giants. He's a frickin galaxy buster and high level reality warper.

Not that i'm complaining though, I guess they can't have the Asgardians too powerful.

It does seem that Mjolnir isn't as powerful as in the comics. Mjolnir in the comics allows Thor dimensional travel, transmutation and a whole host of other exotic things.

But to be honest, when was the last time Thor used Mjolnir in the comics besides battering people with it and summoning lightning? lol.

I think Odin was under powered too. He wouldn't need to fight those Frost Giants. He's a frickin galaxy buster and high level reality warper.

Not that i'm complaining though, I guess they can't have the Asgardians too powerful.

I think they struck a good balance with the Asgardians, and make them powerful but not overly so, and in doing so retains some tensions in the fight scenes.

Odin was definitely underpowered, but other than the dimensional portals, I thought Thor and Mjolnir were handled pretty well. Thor is clearly strong as s***, as seen from his tossing the frost giants around like ragdolls, and Mjolnir demonstrated a lot of cool powers. Maybe it's not 100% at the level of the high-end power feats we've seen in the comics, but that's 50 years of writers and artists one-upping each other vs. 2 hours of one cohesive vision for the character and weapon.

Besides, it would've taken away a lot of the dramatic impact of everything with Bifrost if Thor (and Sif, actually, if you read the older comics) could easily do what it does.

Blood Oath dealt with Thor only being able to use Mjolnir as a Dimensional device.

I think Marvel's probably gonna be content to leave that in the animated Tales of Asgard movie next week. They probably want to keep pushing forward with the live-action movies.
OOOO THAT's RIGHT!!! I completely forgot Tales was coming out!

Blood Oath? Is that fairly new? Is it in continuity?

But yea, I'm not really complaining. In the comics Mjolnir is basically a plot device if used to it's full potential. I can totally understand why it's a bit under powered. I would like to see the God Blast in Avengers though. Preferably against one Mad Titan. *crosses fingers*

Fairly newish. I think it's from 2005 or 2006. It's by Michael Avon Oeming and Scott Kolins. It also features one of the many fun Thor/Hercules fights in comicdom. :)

You're right about the plot device thing. Especially back in the '60s. Stan Lee had Mjolnir do literally whatever he wanted it to do for any given story. It makes reconciling those comics with later ones, where Thor's power set is more or less set in stone, very awkward.

haha ohhh Stan, you crazy SOB! I swear all those guys were on acid back then. lol.

Mike Oeming huh? He did that Ares series didn't he? That was awesome. I'll have to check Blood Oath out then.

Blood Oath? Is that fairly new? Is it in continuity?

But yea, I'm not really complaining. In the comics Mjolnir is basically a plot device if used to it's full potential. I can totally understand why it's a bit under powered. I would like to see the God Blast in Avengers though. Preferably against one Mad Titan. *crosses fingers*

God Blast would be a great power to use in Thor's sequels. :yay:

haha ohhh Stan, you crazy SOB! I swear all those guys were on acid back then. lol.

Mike Oeming huh? He did that Ares series didn't he? That was awesome. I'll have to check Blood Oath out then.
He did the Ares mini with Travel Foreman, Blood Oath, and the final arc of Thor's 1998-2004 series. All three are great.

Not really related, but Kieron Gillen's Dark Avengers: Ares mini-series and Fred Van Lente and Greg Pak's Incredible Hercules series are great too, if you're into mythological heroes in general. :up:

He did the Ares mini with Travel Foreman, Blood Oath, and the final arc of Thor's 1998-2004 series. All three are great.

Not really related, but Kieron Gillen's Dark Avengers: Ares mini-series and Fred Van Lente and Greg Pak's Incredible Hercules series are great too, if you're into mythological heroes in general. :up:
heh my fave Pak Thor vs Herc story was Thorcules vs Hercuthor hehe the Sound effects alone are worth getting the trades. lol

That was a good one. The whole series is pretty fantastic, though. :)

I would like to see the God Blast in Avengers though. Preferably against one Mad Titan. *crosses fingers*

I'd love for Thor to use the God Blast in the Avengers, but I don't know if I wanna wait until Thanos shows up because it's gonna take a pretty longtime for the Avengers 2 and 3 to come out.

Oh yes i loved Incredible Herc. Shame the big event they were building up, Chaos War, was kinda mediocre.

I'd love for Thor to use the God Blast in the Avengers, but I don't know if I wanna wait until Thanos shows up because it's gonna take a pretty longtime for the Avengers 2 and 3 to come out.

I've got my fingers crossed for him in Avengers. Or thinking about it, maybe even Thor 2.

Odin vs Thanos on the big screen? Good lord that would just be insane.

Yeah, Chaos War didn't pan out so well. Herc's been a bit underwhelming too. It lacks the over-the-top fun of Incredible Hercules and the camaraderie between Herc and Cho, both of which were central to that series' excellence.

I laughed :D

2w32a9h.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"