Comics The Official X-Men Stupid Question Thread!!!

Darthphere

Kneel before 'Drox!
Reaction score
Well here it is guys anew look and a new Official Stupid Question thread. This time for our favorite gang of Mutants the X-Men. The main focus of these threads is too:

1. Reduce clutter of worthless threads that get 1-5 responses.
2. Have a safe haven for people to ask lets say not so smart questions without being made fun of.......hopefully.
3. Have discussions on many a topic in one single thread unlike the X-men TB thread.

So post your questions regarding the origins of characters. release dates, creative teams, events in X-men history or just info on your favorite characters. If you want to know how it works visit the links im my sig.

On a final note. Please do not insult people for not having as much knowledge as you on X-men. This thread is made to educate not to insult. That being said have fun and ask your stupid questions. :cyclops:

I'll give it a shot.

1. How many issues did the Gambit / Rogue / Joseph triangle last for? What issue did it start and what issue did it end?

2. Doe's Gambit have some kind of mind control ability? I always though his only ability was to charge energy in objects but I've read in some places he also has this ability that lets him influence other people.

3. Who are Apocalypse and Onslaught? I know a little about them but some detail would be nice.

4. Was Wolverine / Gambit: Victims any good?

5. What's the release date for the Ultimate X-Men: The Tempest TPB?

6. Was a reason ever given for Gambit's red eyes or is it just put down as a side effect of being a mutant?

2) I have a Gambit card that says he has a "subtle psychic ability to win trust", but I really haven't seen them flesh that out much in the comics themselves.

3) Apocalypse is an acient mutant with the ability to alter his molecular structure in practically any way. He gave Angel his metal wings and made him one of his 4 horsemen of death. There was some thing called "The Twelve" that I'm not familiar with and...yeah, I'm not sure if he's alive or not.

1. I don't remember the issue numbers or the exact reasons it started and ended. It must have ended when Joseph died, if it wasn't over already. As far as why it started, it was partially because Rogue had a past romantic history with Magneto (when they were in the Savage Land), and then because Joseph somehow created a device that cancelled out Rogue's powers, allowing her to touch him.

2. He definitely is extremely persuasive, but it's never been clear to me if this is supposed to be a "power" or just a unique skill he has. There was some time recently when Gambit pursuaded a gang of mutant kids who were attacking him and Rogue to leave, even though he was powerless at the time. So maybe his persuasiveness isn't really the result of a mutation. Or maybe his mutation just gives it a little extra kick.

3. I could give a long answer here, but I think I'll leave that to someone else. The short version:
Apocalypse is an ancient mutant (been around since Ancient Egypt) who takes the credo of "survival of the fittest" very literally. Basically, he believes anyone who is weak deserves to die. His powers include pretty much total control over his body. He can shape shift, change sizes, etc. A bunch of other stuff too. He has repeatedly been an enemy of the X-Men. He once infected Cyclops's son with a "techno-virus" (a virus that turned his flesh to metal), and Cyclops allowed his son to be sent to the future to be healed. (He returned to the present as an adult, and became the hero known as Cable.) In an alternate timeline known as the "Age of Apocalypse", Apocalypse ruled the world (or at least North America). All the X-Books spent four months depicting this timeline after a mutant called Legion changed the past (by killing Xavier), but then the change was undone and things (mostly) went back to normal. (Legion was Xavier's son, who was actually trying to kill Magneto.)

Onslaught was basically Professor X gone nuts. He absorbed a part of Magneto and had powers and a mind that was sort of a fusion of both. He later absorbed the reality-altering powers of Franklin Richards (Mr. Fantastic's and Invisible Woman's son) and Nate Grey (Scott and Jean's son who crossed over from the Age of Apocalypse timeline), making him even more powerful. It took basically all of Earth's heros to beat him (it was a huge company-wide crossover), and as a side effect a bunch of them were thrown into an alternate universe. (They're back now.) Incidentally, Bishop came back to the present from the future to try to prevent a traitor from killing the X-Men, but he didn't know who it would be. Turns out it was Xavier. Obviously, Bishop's goal was a success, since the X-Men aren't dead.

Believe it or not, that was the short version. :D

4. Didn't read it.

5. I don't know.

6. If there's a reason beyond "he's a mutant", I don't know it.

I know Magik's dead, but I heard her "demon half" is still around. Is that true? How does that work?

How'd Strife die? I remember owning the toy and a couple issues with him in it and thought he was bad-ash.

Can Nocturne teleport too, or does she just have her father's acrobatic skills? Any other powers?

Is Mystique on the side on angels in her comic? Did they tie it at all to what she did in the X-Corps story?

Does Warren still hate Gambit for the Morlock Massacre?

What's so great about District X? Enlighten me.

Marcdachamp said:
I know Magik's dead, but I heard her "demon half" is still around. Is that true? How does that work?

Is Mystique on the side on angels in her comic? Did they tie it at all to what she did in the X-Corps story?
I'd like to know this too, I thought she was dead, but I hear she's showing up in Nightcrawler.

I'm pretty sure the series is continuity, and Mystique is working as an undercover agent for Professor X, one that can't be traced back to him.

I am going to assume that Magik is going to be Amanda Sefton, Kurt's former girlfriend who took over control of Limbo awhile ago.

Stryfe was fairly lame and i believe Wolverine took him out, if not i am pretty sure it was an X-Men

If you're saying you didn't like the character of Stryfe, fine, but if you're saying he was "lame" in the sense of not being powerful, then this is utterly wrong. I can't remember what happened to him -- maybe he died in an issue of Cable? I just remember that he and Cable got lost in the timestream at the end of the X-Cutioner's Song crossover, but then they both eventually got out. And then some time later I read an issue where Stryfe was in bad place, so in between he must have died.

For those who don't know, Stryfe was a clone of Cable -- but because he wasn't infected with the techno-virus, his telepathy and telekinesis weren't inhibited like Cable's. He once kicked the crap out of (an admittedly weakened) Apocalypse and all the Dark Riders, so he was certainly no wuss.

Stryfe was also responsible for the release of the Legacy Virus, IIRC.

The Cajun said:
4. Was Wolverine / Gambit: Victims any good?
No No no no no. Its a really bad story. Only buy if you're a collector, or something. :wolverine

Marcdachamp said:

Apparently, Mystique explained away that it wasn't her who slit Banshee's throat in the X-Corps (isn't it X-Corporation?) storyline. According to her, it was someone else posing as her.

Atleast that's what i got from reading other posts.

Ions said:
No No no no no. Its a really bad story. Only buy if you're a collector, or something. :wolverine
Really? Not even Loeb and Sale could make it work.....

The Cajun said:
I'll give it a shot.

6. Was a reason ever given for Gambit's red eyes or is it just put down as a side effect of being a mutant?

There was an issue when Rogue touched Gambit and her whole eye turned green and i think thats her natural eye colour so maybe Gambits natural eye colour is red, which makes sense, look at his brother cyclops. :cyclops: But the expansion of the colour is his eye, at least, i think would be a result of mutation.

XFanTim said:
If you're saying you didn't like the character of Stryfe, fine, but if you're saying he was "lame" in the sense of not being powerful, then this is utterly wrong. I can't remember what happened to him -- maybe he died in an issue of Cable? I just remember that he and Cable got lost in the timestream at the end of the X-Cutioner's Song crossover, but then they both eventually got out. And then some time later I read an issue where Stryfe was in bad place, so in between he must have died.

For those who don't know, Stryfe was a clone of Cable -- but because he wasn't infected with the techno-virus, his telepathy and telekinesis weren't inhibited like Cable's. He once kicked the crap out of (an admittedly weakened) Apocalypse and all the Dark Riders, so he was certainly no wuss.

I should of phrased it as "for a character as powerful as he was, he was written fairly lame."

And memory came back to me, it was Tyler(Cable's son) that one of the x-men killed. Probably posing as Stryfe at the time. Probably by the end of the week the whole thing will come back to me, since i am way to lazy to go through 24 boxes of comics to look for it.

gambo said:
Apparently, Mystique explained away that it wasn't her who slit Banshee's throat in the X-Corps (isn't it X-Corporation?) storyline. According to her, it was someone else posing as her.

Are you KIDDING? Is anyone who they SAY they are anymore????

Is Ultimate X-Men worth picking up? Is it in the middle of an arc right now?

Jangofett, Colossus died by injecting himself with the cure for the legacy virus. It had to be injected into a mutant (which would kill him) to be released into the world. I don't really understand why or how that worked, maybe someone could assist me here.

DreamTheaterFan, Ultimate X-Men is DEFINITELY worth picking up. It's the best X-Title out there, as far as I'm concerned. But if you're gonna read it, read it from the beginning. It's a great story that *gasp* holds continuity! There are 8 TPB's out there and a new 4-issue arc just started. So if you have the means to do so, buy all the issues you can.

BTW, Dream Theater rocks :up:

gambo said:

Okay, When was this stated? Abyss sucked up Mystique in the X-Corps storyline, then released her durring the Draco. After that she started working for Xavier in her own comic. I don't remember any mention (nor need) for there being a fake mystique.

DreamTheaterFan said:
What's District X about and is it worth picking up?

District X is the sleeper of the current X-Titles. It didn't sound great but turned out to be one of the best X-Titles out. It's about Bishop and a cop in Mutant Town. There is a gang war of some kind building and Bishop sees it coming and is out to stop it. You really get to know the cop he works with, Ortega, and really gets to feel for him. It sounds only mediocre but it is definately worth picking up. A new arc starts with the next issue but it's only a couple issues into the series so I'd suggest getting it from the beginning.

yea i new that i jus couldnt remember how it worked i was hoping some one would elaberate. well thanks for the reply tho

JewishHobbit said:
District X is the sleeper of the current X-Titles. It didn't sound great but turned out to be one of the best X-Titles out. It's about Bishop and a cop in Mutant Town. There is a gang war of some kind building and Bishop sees it coming and is out to stop it. You really get to know the cop he works with, Ortega, and really gets to feel for him. It sounds only mediocre but it is definately worth picking up. A new arc starts with the next issue but it's only a couple issues into the series so I'd suggest getting it from the beginning.
Is it going to just be a maxiseries or something?

sun_down said:
BTW, Dream Theater rocks
bad place yeah they do
icon14.gif
It's good to find another fan...they aren't exactly the most popular band, you know?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"