The Dark Knight Rises The Official Rate/Review Thread for TDKR (TAG SPOILERS!!!) - Part 3

Hilariously weird isn't it?

Yes it is mate, yes it is. There isnt real proof about someones answers because its all personal opinion. I really feel sorry for the batfans who dont like this or other batman movies. I have my own little reasons why I can enjoy just about anything with batman and I use these little reasons when I watch other entertainment with other characters ie be it star wars, indy, die hard, whatever. We all have one reason and one alone why we are here and its Batman. Think about that batfans.

Yes it is mate, yes it is. There isnt real proof about someones answers because its all personal opinion. I really feel sorry for the batfans who dont like this or other batman movies. I have my own little reasons why I can enjoy just about anything with batman and I use these little reasons when I watch other entertainment with other characters ie be it star wars, indy, die hard, whatever. We all have one reason and one alone why we are here and its Batman. Think about that batfans.

So what you're saying is, we should like the movie just cuz it has Batman in it.

Not TDKR, but I just watched The Dark Knight again and wow, after what must be 30th viewing, it's still as captivating from start to finish as the first day I saw it.

Not TDKR, but I just watched The Dark Knight again and wow, after what must be 30th viewing, it's still as captivating from start to finish as the first day I saw it.

Indeed. Both BB and TDK have held up extremely well over the last few years. I'm curious to see if TDKR follows suit.

Who the hell am I? I'm a person on a public forum expressing my opinions. Just like you.

Sooo...where the hell do you get off trying to attack me?

Hey, I don't log in that much to this site for the same reasons. So we have something in common.

I'm the only irritating presence on this site?? :whatever:

People have valid reasons to like the movie and to dislike the movie and people are debating it. If you have issue with that, than stay logged off.

Hey you're the one who caused this warning to come along with your name calling and telling all the detractors they're wrong and whining fanboys.

Let me put this out there...and I really hope you guys listen.

Stop the name calling. Stop telling people their OPINION is wrong. Stop the petty arguing.

So listen to the mod, Dark Knight, and stop your trolling.

So what you're saying is, we should like the movie just cuz it has Batman in it.

Yup makes no sense does it.

Where do you get off being so goddamn condescending? Each one of your posts reads like anyone who doesn't like the movie dislikes it because of some personal flaw. Who the hell are you? As someone who has yet to debate you on anything, I really have to tell you how much of an ass you sound like in every post. People have valid reasons for not liking the movie just as much as you seem to love it, just because we don't think it's as good as its predecessors doesn't make us warped or twisted. I don't even log in that much but you have been an irritating presence in almost every thread I've read recently

Quoted for truth.

I am proud to say I feel that way with all three films. Even when I'm at home by myself or with friends, whenever Batman Begins or The Dark Knight ends, I end up clapping.

Yeah. TDK is a classic. That first viewing always stays with you a bit. It's nice to be able to watch it and recapture some of that. Sometimes I'm a bit jaded to it from watching it so many times, but if I'm in the right mood it can still be just as awesome and thrilling as it was 4 years ago.

I do wonder when or if we'll ever see another Batman film done in the vein of a crime saga/thriller.

Or a Batman film in general that tried to be more than your typical CBM.

Or a Batman film that is as good as TDK. I'm hopeful for the reboot, but who knows.

I think it's almost pointless to hope for one as good as TDK in the vein of TDK...at least any time soon. That movie was lightning in a bottle. There's almost no way to top it without being obvious in attempt to "do it one better", it's just that engrained in the culture. Even, Skyfall, which I really liked a lot felt very obvious in its attempt to "pull a TDK" at times, to me anyway. That's why I think TDKR worked, it was its own thing.

That said...I think what we need to see one day is a true Batman/Riddler full-on detective/mystery film. That could be something special if handled the right way.

Last edited:
Indeed. Both BB and TDK have held up extremely well over the last few years. I'm curious to see if TDKR follows suit.

What makes TDK so enduring is how it finishes out in the end. Everything in the movie gets better when you realize what Joker's endgame is and the lesson Batman is going to learn in the end. What Alfred tells Bruce throughout the movie prefaces that EPIC speech about Batman being a "Dark Knight". When I first watched TDK I thought it was a great film, subsequent viewings have made me view it as a masterpiece.

TDKR not only makes that TDK ending much less epic than it is (So, a Dark Knight must endure by....quitting?), it also builds toward an anti-climactic ending.

Wow, Bane is an awesome villain. Look how much he is destroying Gotham. Why is he doing all this? :whatever: Oh, because Talia wants him to

Wow, Bruce hasn't been Batman for eight years. I guess we're going to see how hard it is to get back in the game. :whatever: Unless he finds a magical brace

Oh my god, Bane is going to take over the city and prevent the government from entering it. I wonder how the citizens will react :whatever: They'll conveniently be hiding in their houses for five months until everything is over.

Wow, Batman might actually die in this movie. Unless he fakes his death because.......because......:whatever::doh:

The movie is most disappointing in how it treats Bane. As a villain whose characterization is just as good as the Joker's (IMO), knowing that he would never even have attacked Gotham if not for Talia makes him seem much less cool when viewing it from the beginning.

What makes TDK so enduring is how it finishes out in the end. Everything in the movie gets better when you realize what Joker's endgame is and the lesson Batman is going to learn in the end. What Alfred tells Bruce throughout the movie prefaces that EPIC speech about Batman being a "Dark Knight". When I first watched TDK I thought it was a great film, subsequent viewings have made me view it as a masterpiece.

TDKR not only makes that TDK ending much less epic than it is (So, a Dark Knight must endure by....quitting?), it also builds toward an anti-climactic ending.

Wow, Bane is an awesome villain. Look how much he is destroying Gotham. Why is he doing all this? :whatever: Oh, because Talia wants him to

Wow, Bruce hasn't been Batman for eight years. I guess we're going to see how hard it is to get back in the game. :whatever: Unless he finds a magical brace

Oh my god, Bane is going to take over the city and prevent the government from entering it. I wonder how the citizens will react :whatever: They'll conveniently be hiding in their houses for five months until everything is over.

Wow, Batman might actually die in this movie. Unless he fakes his death because.......because......:whatever::doh:

The movie is most disappointing in how it treats Bane. As a villain whose characterization is just as good as the Joker's (IMO), knowing that he would never even have attacked Gotham if not for Talia makes him seem much less cool when viewing it from the beginning.

Quoted for truth. Aces post.

I thought the end of TDKR's third act was every bit as euphoric. The Talia reveal reinforced the some of the earliest themes of the trilogy and brought them to a screaming climax (legacy, orphans and fathers, justice vs. vengeance), similarly to the way the revelation of Joker's true plan strengthened the themes of TDK. I think that's the biggest payoff of having her in the story and withholding that information from the audience for so long. The last 20 minutes really play amazingly as not just an ending to the film, but as the conclusion of a 3-film arc.

In your opinion of course

Of course, but too many 'whatever' faces and 'wow's doesn't help your point at all.

But to speak on one thing, Batman did endure as much as he could, but Alfred's mention of this was before Joker killed Rachel and almost killed Dent. Alfred telling Bruce to endure was before Batman deciding to take the blame for Dent's actions. Batman couldn't endure this and went into retirement, but at the moment, it didn't seem so terrible since Batman and Gordon 'won' with the creation of the Dent Act, effectively killing the mobs in Gotham.

I firmly believe the "last reported sighting" of the Batman comment from Blake leaves room for the interpretation that Batman could have still been very covertly active for a period until the Dent Act went into effect. The movie never gives concrete evidence that he's been retired for 8 years.

Plus, Alfred says "you haven't been down here in a long time" referring to the Batcave. So obviously Bruce spent some time down there post-TDK, since there was no cave in TDK.

The problems that the viewer has for the film lies with the viewer, not the film itself. We all have personal tastes, opinions etc. Some people think its perfect, but the rest of us might not. It doesnt really matter if thousands, millions or whatever like or hate it. In the end its upto the own viewer. But as batfans we can talk about how or why about the film in a good and calm manor.

I firmly believe the "last reported sighting" of the Batman comment from Blake leaves room for the interpretation that Batman could have still been very covertly active for a period until the Dent Act went into effect. The movie never gives concrete evidence that he's been retired for 8 years.

Plus, Alfred says "you haven't been down here in a long time" referring to the Batcave. So obviously Bruce spent some time down there post-TDK, since there was no cave in TDK.

Of course
icon14.gif

Great post :up:

I can't imagine what kind of Batman related activities he was doing in Gotham where nobody could report a sighting of him. Unless he was not apprehending any criminals. Which begs the question what was he doing that required him to suit up as Batman but not go and stop crime?

That doesn't mean what he was doing down there he was doing as Batman. For instance in this very scene you quoted he's using the Batcave and he's not Batman.

Last edited:
Ehh, somewhat.

Too fantastical elements are not really needed, imo.

I can't imagine what kind of Batman related activities he was doing in Gotham where nobody could report a sighting of him. Unless he was not apprehending any criminals. Which begs the question what was he doing that required him to suit up as Batman but not go and stop crime?

Well, you've mentioned before that the mob element wouldn't likely just disappear entirely immediately after the events of TDK. If we're being imaginative, maybe he used his "mob murderer" reputation to scare off any remaining mobsters who were trying to re-build and fill the power vacuum. Those aren't the types who'd file a police report after an encounter with The Batman. And that's the type of work he could do without making a big show with Bat-pods and Tumblers. I'm just saying, I think there's an interesting story that could told there about how Batman's career slowly winded down prior to the Dent Act being signed. There's a decent amount of time to play with if you figure that a legislation like that couldn't be written overnight, never mind passed.

It'd be a pretty melancholy type of story, one where you'd really need to be in Bruce's head. Perfect for a comic, honestly.

That doesn't mean what he was doing down there he was doing as Batman. For instance in this very scene you quoted he's using the Batcave and he's not Batman.

To me, if Bruce is down in the cave, doing surveillance on Gotham...even if he's not in the suit, that's still having one foot in the door. Even if Bruce is just keeping an eye on things from that shadows for a while as things slowly get better in Gotham, that's still being a "watchful protector". It's pre-retirement.

Well, you've mentioned before that the mob element wouldn't likely just disappear entirely immediately after the events of TDK. If we're being imaginative, maybe he used his "mob murderer" reputation to scare off any remaining mobsters who were trying to re-build and fill the power vacuum. Those aren't the types who'd file a police report after an encounter with The Batman.

Even in your hypothetical situation you don't have to file a Police report to have a confirmed sighting of the Batman. Nor would it be any threat to the mob to report they were threatened by Batman. Since he is now a wanted man, using the Police against Batman would work to their advantage.

It isn't like before where the Police turn a blind eye to Batman, like the Gotham citizens did, because he was cleaning up their streets. It's a different ball game now. He's wanted for several murders.

I'm just saying, I think there's an interesting story that could told there about how Batman's career slowly winded down prior to the Dent Act being signed. There's a decent amount of time to play with if you figure that a legislation like that couldn't be written overnight, never mind passed.

Well I agree that is certainly a lot more interesting than thinking he was done the night after Dent died. But alas the movie doesn't suggest otherwise.

When you hear how bad Bruce's body is in the hospital scene, you know it would have taken years for it to get in such a state.

To me, if Bruce is down in the cave, doing surveillance on Gotham...even if he's not in the suit, that's still having one foot in the door. Even if Bruce is just keeping an eye on things from that shadows for a while as things slowly get better in Gotham, that's still being a "watchful protector". It's pre-retirement.

Have you ever seen Batman Beyond? When Bruce was actively helping Terry McGuinness, the new Batman, from the Batcave. It didn't make him Batman again. Terry was Batman.

Sitting at a computer watching things doesn't make a Batman, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"