• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

The Official Superman Fan Art & Manips Thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
They should be called the angular belts and collars league.

Somone asked to see the Superman pose with a smile so here it is
This is just lil muscle darker blue and shorter boots classic but new
cwstmpromoposefull012.jpg

Nice :up:

They should be called the angular belts and collars league.

What's worse is that, if you look closely, Supes and Batman have basically the same costume design. They just have different accessories. What's up with that?

What's worse is that, if you look closely, Supes and Batman have basically the same costume design. They just have different accessories. What's up with that?

Maybe a slight homage to them having near identical designs before?

Same as it's always been.
Superman%20vs%20Batman.JPG

batman-superman.jpg

9360__svb_l.jpg

Hell, Batman's costume began as a palette swap of Superman.

Maybe a slight homage to them having near identical designs before?

Pretty much.

Same as it's always been.
Superman%20vs%20Batman.JPG

batman-superman.jpg

9360__svb_l.jpg

Hell, Batman's costume began as a palette swap of Superman.

Pretty much.

Yeah, but the old costumes (sans accessories) were more or less plain/basic. So you could say the similarity between both was merely coincidental, whereas, the likeness in the new threads appears to be by design.

Yeah, but the old costumes (sans accessories) were more or less plain/basic. So you could say the similarity between both was merely coincidental, whereas, the likeness in the new threads appears to be by design.

What likeness? Even the friggin seam designs are completely different from each other.

I read somewhere that the guy who designed Batman basically traced over an image of Superman. Is that true?

Nope, it wasn't coincidental. I remember reading that when Bob Kane drew his first design for Batman, he started off by reversing the colors of Superman's costume, perhaps with black instead of blue, a domino mask, and wings like Leonardo DaVinci's flying machine. Then Bill Finger suggested that the red become gray, added the cowl, the gloves, and replaced Kane's wings with a scallop-edged capes. Thus resulting in...
batman-20080327040129691-000.jpg

Then Finger added the gauntlets and following the contributions of other writers and artists we ended up the Batman design as we know it.
Batman-arkham-asylum-artwork-batman.jpg

All from Batman's Wikipedia page.

So the similarity was always by design.

Last edited:
What likeness? Even the friggin seam designs are completely different from each other.

Calm down. :dry:

The seam designs are actually quite similar to each other, although not 100% identical. Indeed, at first glance, the suits (depicted by Jim Lee in the Justice League image above) look very much the same if you take away all the accessories, i.e., gloves, cape, belts, etc. My observation.

Last edited:
Nope, it wasn't coincidental. I remember reading that when Bob Kane drew his first design for Batman, he started off by reversing the colors of Superman's costume, perhaps with black instead of blue, a domino mask, and wings like Leonardo DaVinci's flying machine. Then Bill Finger suggested that the red become gray, added the cowl, the gloves, and replaced Kane's wings with a scallop-edged capes. Thus resulting in...
1103_dcfa_batman.jpg

Then Finger added the gauntlets and following the contributions of other writers and artists we ended up the Batman design as we know it.
Batman-arkham-asylum-artwork-batman.jpg

All from Batman's Wikipedia page.

So the similarity was always by design.

Interesting. I never knew that. Thanks for that bit of info.

I personally like the Tim Burton design over them all. Batman should be all black, imo.

Calm down. :dry:

The seam designs are actually quite similar to each other, although not 100% identical. Indeed, at first glance, the suits (depicted by Jim Lee in the Justice League image above) look very much the same if you take away all the accessories, i.e., gloves, cape, belts, etc. My observation.

I am really trying to understand what is so great though about the seams in any design? I don't see how seams make anything except maybe a uniform dress shirt like for a police uniform. Other than that, the seams are usually things that are hidden in most t-shirts or pants or what have you as much as possible. T-shirts have the seams around the neck, the sleeves, and the other seams that join the front and the back are under the arms to try and make them as discreet as possible; not as obvious as possible.

I am trying to figure out how can people who have as little imagination to come up with something better than seams to make a costume look better can be illustrators making more money than probably most teachers. Seams to make the costume look better. Really? That is the best they could come up with? Leave everything the same but raise his shirt collar (seen before online and other characters) and remove the trunks (seen before online and in other characters who don't have trunks) and give his costume a lot of seams that don't make any sense because they don't seem to hold anything together or outline anything.

Last edited:
I am really trying to understand what is so great though about the seams in any design? I don't see how seams make anything except maybe a uniform dress shirt like for a police uniform. Other than that, the seams are usually things that are hidden in most t-shirts or pants or what have you as much as possible. T-shirts have the seams around the neck, the sleeves, and the other seams that join the front and the back are under the arms to try and make them as discreet as possible; not as obvious as possible.

I am trying to figure out how can people who have as little imagination to come up with something better than seams to make a costume look better can be illustrators making more money than probably most teachers. Seams to make the costume look better. Really? That is the best they could come up with? Leave everything the same but raise his shirt collar (seen before online and other characters) and remove the trunks (seen before online and in other characters who don't have trunks) and give his costume a lot of seams that don't make any sense because they don't seem to hold anything together or outline anything.

Yep, it's pretty much a garbage design.

The difficulty in modernizing anything as iconic as the Superman costume is finding a way to maintain the iconic elements of the design whilst bringing a modern design sense too it. It's relatively easy to just drop everything that came before and do something totally new.....and a lot harder to work within the limited parameters that affords you.
I would personally be fine with something more radical....but for the purposes of character recognition it is likely best to be more incremental with change.

Now as far as the sudden insurgence of obvious seams is concerned, what you must understand is that this isn't just a trend that's popping up in comics all of a sudden; it's a trend that's paralleling current fashion in sports wear:

KeithDavidJune10-1.jpg

For better or for worse....this is what's in right now. Maybe it won't be in a few years....but I personally like it.

The difficulty in modernizing anything as iconic as the Superman costume is finding a way to maintain the iconic elements of the design whilst bringing a modern design sense too it. It's relatively easy to just drop everything that came before and do something totally new.....and a lot harder to work within the limited parameters that affords you.
I would personally be fine with something more radical....but for the purposes of character recognition it is likely best to be more incremental with change.

Now as far as the sudden insurgence of obvious seams is concerned, what you must understand is that this isn't just a trend that's popping up in comics all of a sudden; it's a trend that's paralleling current fashion in sports wear:

KeithDavidJune10-1.jpg

For better or for worse....this is what's in right now. Maybe it won't be in a few years....but I personally like it.

The meaningless seams all over is not much of an update though. If they wanted an update, why didn't they just go with the Superman: Earth One costume as the update, using that body type for Superman, and appearance of the character. The Earth One Superman did have some seams but not all over the place where if I had to draw his costume on paper I would remember how to do it. The new costume I couldn't remember where all those seams go if I had to draw it.

The boots and color in Earth One were updates and even the way the trunks fit. I think if they felt they needed an update, they should have just decided that the Earth One look was going to be their update and leave at that. At least it makes more sense than:

"Well, what did you come up with for an update?"

"Well, I added a lot of seams..."

"Hmm, okay, no trunks and a lot of seams.... sounds updated to me!"

That is as lazy as the Hot Pocket slogan..." Hoooot Pocket" - Really?
Or the McDonalds "Mmm I'm loving it" - Really?

Thank goodness these folks in marketing get paid as much as they do, otherwise, who could come up with such great and catchy ideas from seams to Hot Pocket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"