The Official will.i.am/John Wraith Discussion Thread

Oh, I still have scars from X3 forum, I'm prepared. :cwink:

This is stupid. There are plenty of African American actors out there just waiting for their big break, and they cast Will.I.Am?

What the crap were they thinking?
Well, Will.I.Am has been on Joan of Arcadia and Cane. So, technically, he is an AfAm actor waiting for his big (acting) break...

-TNC

This is idiocy! When has a rapper ever been a capable actor?!!

*cough**will smith, queen latifah, ice-t, ice cube, mos def**cough*

:whatever:

Oh, I still have scars from X3 forum, I'm prepared. :cwink:

Haha. Don't we all. :p Honestly, I don't think this forum is nearly as bad as the X3 forum, and hopefully it won't be. This movie is kind of a fresh start, as it doesn't quite have all that extra baggage. Thus far, they seem to be handling the movie pretty well and I'm looking forward to it.

And the baseless ignorant prejudice (against Hip Hop) keeps coming:

If Will.I.Am wants to act so bad I'm sure has many minor roles in other low profile films until his skill is up for the big projects like this.

Who says it's not? Baseless ignorant judgement.

I doubt he'll have a huge part. Im thinking he'll just be kind of a lacky with not a lot of lines. Atleast thats what im hoping

Hoping because... ????

Will Smith had a long running hit sitcom before he was a movie star.

Latifah had several minor roles before getting starring roles. None of them were massive franchises like Wolverine.

Enimem was basically playing himself in a movie inspired by his own life.

Mos Def was trained in theatre at NYU. He had been acting professionally since he was 14 years old in two sitcoms followed by very minor roles in big movies.

What resume does Will.I.Am bring that matches any of theirs?

Well if he were headlining the movie, that would be a relevant question. We're talking about a supporting role, guys, and small supporting roles, like Will's been doing, lead to larger supporting roles. The size of the franchise has ZERO relevance when it comes to his ability to be a supporting character.

And let's not forget that both Latifah and Smith went straight into hit sitcoms from their rap careers with how much "relevant experience?" None that I can find... except rapping. So either rapping indicates acting experience as people play out their hip hop personas or there is nothing stopping a rapper from going straight into a successful acting career.

He wasn't a rookie actor before getting cast as Wolverine.

Musical theatre doesn't equal rap.

You know, if I hadn't read so much literature on how rap is becoming a big musical theatre, that wouldn't be so funny.

Let's put it this way: How many other musical genres have generated as many headlining movie stars? As many cameos even? I mean gone from selling hundreds of thousands of records to selling millions of dollars of tickets. Madonna... she counts right, from Evita? Mandy Moore's pretty talented. Dogstar, anyone?

Rappers act, man. They've been doing it for years. They do it on MTV. They do it on BET. They do it every time they're in public. They are character actors through and through, playing the part of the uberconfident hardcore super-suave hip hop icon their managers and labels make them out to be. When they get a chance to do it on the silver screen they virtually always do their part. This is in addition to those who have uncanny talent anyway.

But perhaps you're right. Perhaps Will.i.am is a Snoop Dogg or a Puff Daddy in the acting department as opposed to a Will or a Latifah. But there's no reason to make this conclusion a certainty outside of ignorant baseless prejudice.

Based on the track record of previous rapper-actors, it's pretty likely that he'll do a good job.

Click on the link for a video of him talking about the role, including the audition.

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2008/02/21/william-sings-on-wolverine-becomes-teleporting-mutant

Will.I.Am Sings On ‘Wolverine,’ Becomes Teleporting Mutant

He’s a member of The Black Eyed Peas, an internationally known recording superstar heard and beloved by millions. All fine and good - but you ain’t never heard will.i.am sing like this.

“Root-a-toot-toot! I’m doing ‘Wolverine’!” the singer crooned exclusively to MTV News in his first interview about the high-profile “X-Men” prequel. “That’s cool! I don’t mean to toot my own flute, but toot-a-toot-toot!”

It’s all smiles these days for will.i.am with the recent news that he nabbed the part of John Wraith, a teleporting mutant also known as Kestrel, in the eagerly anticipated superhero flick. Not bad for a guy with zero acting experience, especially considering he didn’t exactly get off on the right foot with the casting director, he laughed. Bold, sure, but that’s just how much of a fan he is of “X-Men.”

“You don’t understand, check this out, this is how much of a fan I am. I went to the casting right, and they asked me if I knew about X-Men. I was like, ‘Pssh, I know X-Men.’ They were like, ‘Yeah, you know, you’re gonna play a teleporter.’ And I was like, ‘You mean like Night Crawler?’ ‘Night Crawler wasn’t a teleporter.’ ‘Yes he was a teleporter! The dude was a teleporter!” he recalled, giggling. “He would be on the walls, and he was in the Presidential office disappearing and people couldn’t really hit him. He was like, disappearing, poof poof. I was like, ‘Yo, I’m telling you, homey.’ I’m a fan of X-Men.”

But as much as he’s excited about entering a comic book world, he’s even more excited to be doing it as a black man, he said.

“I love black films, I love ‘em, but I want to see other black films other than, like, barbeques, barber shops, and Fridays. The fact that I’m in this film, that’s super dope because you could’ve had me in a film, like, on a corner,” he insisted. “I’m in a rap group. Cast him and have him play this thug, which is all great. But I’m saying as black people we need to do some other stuff. So I’m super, super, super, super blessed and proud to be a part of ‘Wolverine.’”

As a member of Wolverine’s “top secret” CIA black ops “Team X,” will.I.am knows he has to hold his own alongside buff guys like Hugh Jackman. To that end, he left for Australia last night to “get in shape at boot camp” he said.

In the meantime? Just call him “Thrill.I.Am!” the actor sang.
Well, root-a-toot-toot!

what the hell does 'root-a-toot-toot!' even mean. Sounds some damn baby talk.

The only positive I can take out of that interview is that the character is going to have his real powers and not the ability to 'turn translucent' as originally reported.

The Original Bamfer said:
I just hope they don't let him improv any of his lines.
:funny:

Funny guy. Sounds like he knows his stuff. I hope he does a good job.

Root-a-toot-toot, Wolvie! Root-a-toot-toot!!!!! :cmad:

:huh:

jag

God, now I'm hoping to hear that line in the movie.

I can see Wolverine leaving him in a tunnel with his legs broken as he yells it with tears in his eyes...Heart breaking.:csad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"