Days of Future Past The Official X-Men: First Class Box Office Discussion Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BMM

Superhero
Reaction score
Opening June 3, 2011, amidst a summer full of potential blockbusters, how well do you think X-Men: First Class will fare at the box office? Discuss!

Previous X-Men films' box office performances:

xmenboxoffice3.png

Last edited:
X-Men
Domestic: $157,299,717
+ Foreign: $139,039,810
= Worldwide: $296,339,527

X2
Domestic: $214,949,694
+ Foreign: $192,761,855
= Worldwide: $407,711,549

X3
Domestic: $234,362,462
+ Foreign: $224,997,093
= Worldwide: $459,359,555

X-Men Origins: Wolverine
Domestic: $179,883,157
+ Foreign: $193,179,707
= Worldwide: $373,062,864

For X-Men: First Class i'd say around $400 million.

Domesticly I say first class does between 150 and 200 Million.I think it has chance to outgross domesticly X-Men and Wolverine.I think it may fall short of domesticly what X2 and last stand did.Considering how well Wolverine did foreignly I think First Class should do between 150 and 200 Million overseas as well.

So I think First Class has a good shot at 400 Million world wide gross.Which put It ahead of X-Men and Wolverine but short of X2 and The Last Stand.

I feel like First Class will fall short of Wolverine's numbers, mostly because of a lack of familiarity for the general audience, as in the lack of Wolverine himself I do think that the excellent cast and trailer, along with some helpful marketing, and the X-men brand recognition will shuttle the film to about 350 million worldwide, and perhaps even more.

X-Men
Domestic: $157,299,717
+ Foreign: $139,039,810
= Worldwide: $296,339,527

X2
Domestic: $214,949,694
+ Foreign: $192,761,855
= Worldwide: $407,711,549

X3
Domestic: $234,362,462
+ Foreign: $224,997,093
= Worldwide: $459,359,555

X-Men Origins: Wolverine
Domestic: $179,883,157
+ Foreign: $193,179,707
= Worldwide: $373,062,864

For X-Men: First Class i'd say around $400 million.

Thanks, Electrix. I've added a graphic featuring the previous box office performances to the first post so they carry over, should the Thead Manager start a new thread.

Last edited:
We talking worldwide? I'm thinking strong reviews and good word of mouth will push it to about $350-400 million world wide.

I think this will easily be the lowest grosser in the franchise domestically.

I would guess $150-$200 domestic. I can't guess world wide...there are only a few sure things in world wide markets and X-Men are not one of them.

I think this will easily be the lowest grosser in the franchise domestically.

Agreed.

And the painful thing is that this could be a great film where it doesn't deserve its lower grosses.

I'd give it between 150-170 mil tops domestically. I don't care about international gross. I know it's important but I just don't care to guess at it.

Agreed.

And the painful thing is that this could be a great film where it doesn't deserve its lower grosses.

I don't care if it's well made. This film being a success will only make things worse for the Xmen. The total disregard for history bothers the heck outta me. Throwing a bunch of mutants name in a hat and pulling them out and using them in a movie where they are outta time does not sit well with me. Havoc being Scott's father does not sit well with me. Why was there a need to even make a change like that? Who would've cared if they made Christopher Summers a mutant and used him instead of Alex? I dont know anyone thats expecting a Starjammers tie in or even want one. I can go on but what's the point.

^really who cares if he is scott's father you know why

1.there would be no mention of it because scott is not born
2.they would never interact
3.no mention of scott's parents or brothers in the previous 4 films cyclops was in

and how do you know they were randomly just thrown in for the hell of it?

knowing singer he does'nt just throw random mutants in his x men films since he came up with the story

obviously every mutant has a purpose in this film major or minor just like his 2 x men films

the poll is about worldwide boxoffice, right?

I'd give it between 150-170 mil tops domestically. I don't care about international gross. I know it's important but I just don't care to guess at it.

You shouldn't. Studios only base commercial success on the Domestic Gross (usually because the distributor ends up consuming the majority of the international profit along with publicity costs).

I'm with you on 150-170, but for it to succeed in the studio's eyes it needs $250+ [ala Star Trek '09].

I think it will do better than Wolverine worldwide... and hopefully, better than X2.

Well these results are going to be skewed with half of us voting as worldwide and half as domestic.

This should be domestic. That is usually the best indicator of a film's success and the easiest to predict. Double the budget domestic means it did good and a sequel is likely.

This should be domestic. That is usually the best indicator of a film's success and the easiest to predict. Double the budget domestic means it did good and a sequel is likely.

Considering 2 out of the past 3 X-Men movies have made around $193 million internationally i'd say that is easier.

International box office is becoming ever more important. People shouldn't just sideline it. Harry Potter, Transformers 2, Pirates 3 and Avatar etc. all made more overseas.

Last edited:
Well these results are going to be skewed with half of us voting as worldwide and half as domestic.

Sorry, I meant to mention "worldwide" in the poll description. That way, people could post both their domestic and foreign/international predictions for a worldwide total.

If a moderator could include that in the poll, that would be great, but I'm not sure if they can do that without resetting the poll (which I would be fine with, if others are).

If not, I guess just specify why you voted the way you did.

I updated the poll to indicate that it's a worldwide prediction, and I zeroed out all the votes so we can start over. We should be all set.

I think word of mouth will really help it out, assuming it's a good film. This film is kind of risky because it doesn't have the major characters the general audience is most familiar with and the cast, while extremely talented, aren't major draws for the regular movie-going public. The advertising for X-Men: First Class is going to matter a lot more for this film than any previous X-film, imo. Fox really has to do good promo for this and get people excited by the visuals (first trailer is a good start, but it's still not in theaters yet). I'm going to say it does "Wolverine" numbers...hopefully bigger.

I think word of mouth will really help it out, assuming it's a good film. This film is kind of risky because it doesn't have the major characters the general audience is most familiar with and the cast, while extremely talented, aren't major draws for the regular movie-going public. The advertising for X-Men: First Class is going to matter a lot more for this film than any previous X-film, imo. Fox really has to do good promo for this and get people excited by the visuals (first trailer is a good start, but it's still not in theaters yet). I'm going to say it does "Wolverine" numbers...hopefully bigger.

Agreed.

It will deserve 400-450 m

but I have a bad feeling it will make only 300-350 m due to franchise fatigue.

Im guessing a bit higher then XMOW numbers. The film will have a strong opening and then fall. Too much competition, Super 8 will be big and steal a bit of the audience. All depends on the word of mouth and reviews because people will need a reason to choose X men over the other super hero/blockbusters being released the weeks after.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"