The Force Awakens The Princess Leia Organa Solo / Carrie Fisher Thread

The Telegraph - Carrie Fisher: why I'm glad to be back in Star Wars

Carrie Fisher is looking forward to the new Star Wars film because she "can get Princess Leia right this time" and ditch the British accent.

The actress said her performance in the 1977 original had strange British overtones because she had just left drama school in London.

Speaking about the new film, the 57-year-old star joked that she was hoping to revisit the famous Princess Leia hairstyle - only this time in grey.

"We are doing it over again so I can get Princess Leia right this time. I think less British. I looked a little pretentious faking the accent," she told a packed house at the Hay Festival.

"I was 17 when I went to drama school so I dropped out at 19 to play Princess Leia, partly with a British accent. It was sort of a viral accent - it came and went.

"That hairdo can never really be repeated without gales of laughter. I've begged them to put the hair back on in grey and just catch me cooking with the hair, like Granny Leia."

Episode VII in the Star Wars franchise will also see the return of Harrison Ford and Mark Hamill, alongside new cast members including Max von Sydow and Adam Driver. It will be directed by JJ Abrams.

Fisher was asked what it was like to be back in a room with the old crew. "We all look a little melted. It's good to see other melted people," she joked.

"And it is good to have us all in a room because it's unique. I mean, I don't suppose they have reunions for the Gone With The Wind gang.

"I think people should be forced to do it 30 years on, classic films that they had, either to make another film or put together an anecdote."

Details of the script are being kept strictly under wraps. When asked about the plot, Fisher replied: "I would get in trouble no matter how I answer that question. But they are very talented. They've got the writer Larry Kasdan, who wrote the Empire Strikes Back; I thought that was the best of the three that we did. He's back, and JJ Abrams is incredibly talented. So you do the math."

Fisher, daughter of Debbie Reynolds and Eddie Fisher, will live in Britain while the film is being made.

Who was the funniest of the Star Wars crew? "Me. But there wasn't a lot of competition. We were up against the Dark Side and that's not funny."

What was her favourite moment from the films? "I had a lot of fun killing Jabba the Hutt. They asked me on the day if I wanted to have a stunt double kill Jabba. No! That's the best time I ever had as an actor. And the only reason to go into acting is if you can kill a giant monster."

Of Princess Leia, she admitted: "I would rather have played Han Solo. When I first read the script I thought that's the part to be, always wry and sardonic. He's always that. I feel like a lot of the time Leia's either worried or p---ed or, thank God, sort of snarky. But I'm much more worried and p---ed than Han Solo ever was, and those aren't fun things to play."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...sher-why-Im-glad-to-be-back-in-Star-Wars.html
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...und-the-new-Star-Wars-film-is-like-D-Day.html

Carrie in Ireland today. She went on The Saturday Night Show on RTE One. Didn't wear the glasses through the interview this time!

Finally got to meet a real life Princess tonight! Stunningly beautiful! Thank you

BpAce1jIcAAREEx.jpg

https://twitter.com/stevehpix/status/472909277964034049

You can see more recent photos from today here:
http://www.contactmusic.com/pictures/carrie_fisher/1-1

Last edited:
Entertainment Tonight - Can Carrie Fisher & Debbie Reynolds Keep Mum About New 'Star Wars'?

Fisher kept revealing she was in the movie when Hamill and Ford were keeping dutifully quiet, so if there's anyone from the cast that Abrams is worried about spilling the beans, it's probably Fisher.

Maybe they're threatening her with the return of Jabba the Hutt's kin to keep her quiet. ;) :o
She is also the one who has taken the tragic/comedy that is her "role" in star wars, and made somewhat of a career psychoanalyzing and talking about it.
So for better or worse every detail about what they asked of her, how she sees it, the character, her role, everything is new "material" waiting to come out!:funny:

Last edited:
No one is really talking about her. Is this because of lack of interest in Leia returning or no one can really figure out how she fits in?

Probably a bit of both. No info on her role, and she was never quite on the level of Luke and Han in terms of popularity.

She has not looked this good in years... Good for her.

I cannot wait to see her back on screen! :yay:

Time Out London - Carrie Fisher interview: ‘Star Wars has been my whole life’

What’s it been like filming the new ‘Star Wars’?
‘I like being in them. Star Wars has been my whole life. It wasn’t like this deal with the devil; it’s a deal with Disney. It’s like summer camp for droids – it’s nice to be back with the droidkateers. And the new actors are great – we’re like the old guard who come back and have a reunion, and they’re the freshmen. We’d go “just you wait; wait til you get the fanbase that’s going to follow you around for the next forty years…”’

What are your feelings towards Princess Leia?
‘I am Leia and Leia is me. We’ve overlapped each other because my life has been so cartoony or superhero-like. By this age, it would be ridiculous if I had a problem with it. Most people are really nice, even if you’re tattooed on their arm.’

http://www.timeout.com/london/film/carrie-fisher-interview-star-wars-has-been-my-whole-life

She did such an amazing job getting back into shape. Good for her!!

I think Carrie's daughter is playing Leia's daughter who will be with her on Coruscant. Maybe Leia and Han had split up by then and she's not Han's? But Daisy and Driver are. They might go the EU route with those two but switch it up for the third child and make it a female politician?

I think everyone wants and expects Han and Leia to be married with children. I know I do.

Eh I think it'd be more interesting if they're divorced/separated. They're always better when they fight. That was another thing lacking in ROTJ.

Eh I think it'd be more interesting if they're divorced/separated. They're always better when they fight. That was another thing lacking in ROTJ.

If you want to see them fight in an entertaining way, then let them stay married.

South China Morning Post - Star Wars princess a beacon for needy kids as Carrie Fisher visits Hong Kong

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...con-needy-kids-carrie-fisher-visits-hong-kong

South China Morning Post - Carrie Fisher, in Hong Kong for charity ball, revels in Star Wars legacy

But during a visit to Hong Kong to raise funds for local children’s charity The Hub, Fisher did let one thing slip – she is playing a “legacy character” in the film due for release in December next year.

“I’m in it. So are the other people,” she said on Friday, when asked what she can reveal about The Force Awakens, her first appearance as Princess Leia since Return of the Jedi in 1983.

“We’re referred to as the legacy characters. No one knows that,” Fisher said of the tag given to the trio played by herself, Mark “Luke Skywalker” Hamill and Harrison “Han Solo” Ford.

And she soon warmed to the topic – even if she was cool to the idea.

“I always thought that was the worst, oldest word you could ever … It’s something I heard as we were going along: ‘the legacy characters’. That word is very weird to me. It means you have grey hair.”

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...ong-kong-charity-ball-revels-star-wars-legacy

Leia's destiny is the one I find most interesting in this film. I think she'll die at the hands of the new villain in an early duel. I also have a feeling she'll be the target of an assassination by some group who wants to take her power away in the Senate. Maybe she is Chancellor?

What I'm interested to see is if Leia did any Jedi training. Not necessarily in terms of fighting.

And, boy, Carrie and Mark REALLY benefitted from TFA, didn't they?

Carrie Fisher on the pre-taped The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson right now. Will update this post if anything interesting is said.

Carrie jokes about how someone mentioned they didn't see her in Star Wars because they only saw the ones with Harrison Ford.

"Am I talking about [Star Wars]? No. Anything I'd say to you would be a lie wouldn't it..."

Carrie (paraphrased): "It would be a lie to say there's a new brand of creature. Half Wookiee, half-human."

Craig: "Woman?"

Fisher: "Woman."

I think that's part of the long running gag where Leia and Chewbacca get together.

Star Wars product ideas from Fisher: Old Leia fragrance "the scent of old aristocracy".

(video clip)

Last edited:
Kasdan: I think you should kill Luke and have Leia take over.
Lucas: You don't want to kill Luke.
Kasdan: Okay, then kill Yoda.
Lucas: I don't want to kill Yoda. You don't have to kill people. You're a product of the 1980s. You don't go around killing people. It's not nice.

From Rinzler's The Making of Star Wars - Return of the Jedi.

Kasdan had some weird ideas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"