The Dark Knight The Real Hero Of Tdk Is Christohper Nolan (appreciation Thread)

Nolan is far more comparable to Kubrick than Spielberg. Though he still has a ways to go if he wants to stand shoulder to shoulder with that guy. Maybe one day he will.

I truly believe Nolan will be regarded not only as a great director but also a revolutionary director who actually cared/sought out great comic literature and included it into his films. After so many years (in my opnion), of Hollywood consistently putting their spins on classic superheroes with different varies of commercial success and failure, Nolan comes along and "reinvents' the franchise by going back to the source material, making a few adjustments and creates the second biggest commercial success of all time AND making it a critical success too with oscar nominations in tow. First name that comes to my lips for the success of the Batman franchise is always Chris Nolan.

SPielberg wishes he could make a movie as good as Dark Knight. End of story! Spielberg just isnt the writer or thinker that Nolan is!!

Last edited:
Nolan is far more comparable to Kubrick than Spielberg. Though he still has a ways to go if he wants to stand shoulder to shoulder with that guy. Maybe one day he will.

Yep, Nolan = Kubrick.

When I interviewed Wally Pfister he was of the same opinion. :yay:

SPielberg wishes he could make a movie as good as Dark Knight. End of story! Spielberg just isnt the writer or thinker that Nolan is!!

Oh good God, man quit trying to act like the good guy and try to act like we all think Nolan is the messiah around here. :whatever:

You shouldn't even compare the two.

Spielberg has made, let's see here, Jaws, Close Encounters, ET, Shinder's List, Saving Private Ryan, Raiders of the Lost Ark. Those are probably his most well regarded I would think. All regarded classics. Look in the damn Newspaper, every single one of those films I listed have a four out of four star rating next to the film.

Out of repsect to both men, don't comapre them. They both have different styles, doesn't mean one is dumber compared to the other just because of your taste. What an ignorant statement right there.

The problem is, a lot of Spielberg's films are consistently entertaining, yet the Beard injects that special something that makes them seem smarter than they actually are. However, when he goes strictly to drama, he either sinks (A.I., Munich) or swims (The Color Purple, Schindler's List).

For Nolan, he always tries for something well-rounded and interesting stories, film-wise. But I don't know about the Nolan-Kubrick comparison, Kubrick's made some clunky or uneven films during his lifetime. I kind of see Nolan as the happy medium between Kubrick, Spielberg and Ridley Scott.

I personally don't think Nolan needs to be compared against any of the aforementioned directors. Hollywood needed a better class of superhero director, and Nolan gave it to them. He could retire now, knowing that he revolutionized a genre. Few directors can say that even after a broader area of work.

Let me rephrase that: Nolan embodies certain aspects of those three directors, which is not a comparison per se. He makes his films accessible (like Spielberg), he pushes the limits of what film can do (like Kubrick), and he has a visionary talent (like Scott's earlier work).

Although I'm positive Nolan will deliver a film that doesn't deliver on some form in the future -- he's not perfect, no one is.

I think we appreciate both the Nolan brothers, and that other guy I can't remember his name (David Goyer???).

I think some people in this thread need to stop thinking Nolan, after making TDK has suddenly become better than one of the most senior, influential, revolutionary and talented filmmakers working in the biz today. And I believe Nolan himself has mentioned Spielberg films like Jaws and Raiders of the Lost Ark alongside Ridley Scott's Blade Runner as inspiration for creating films that are both smart yet larger than life. Spielberg created the bloody summer blockbuster genre for crying out loud.

I think some people in this thread need to stop thinking Nolan, after making TDK has suddenly become better than one of the most senior, influential, revolutionary and talented filmmakers working in the biz today. And I believe Nolan himself has mentioned Spielberg films like Jaws and Raiders of the Lost Ark alongside Ridley Scott's Blade Runner as inspiration for creating films that are both smart yet larger than life. Spielberg created the bloody summer blockbuster genre for crying out loud.

I wouldn't say better. He's just this generation's equivalent. Spielberg and Ridley Scott are the masters, but they're not as prevalent as they once were. It's nice to see someone worthy of their ranks in our midst.

Agreed. Now that TDK is out, overzelous fanboys think that Nolan is better than anybody else and they suck. He's not perfect for God's sake. There are some flaws in TDK like every single film.

You're saying Nolan is better than Kubrick, Spielberg, Scott, Scorsese, all because of one film? Lets not jump here. Yes, he's a great filmmaker, an excellent one at that, but not just yet has he achived what those others have done. Nolan may have done it in one or two films, those others did them in many (I'm not basing skill on how many films they've done, just influential wise) and still inspire to this day.

I was thinking today about our little slogan: In Nolan We Trust. So, since I don't have Photoshop, I was wondering if someone could do a little favor?

Would someone be able to take THIS picture:
Christopher-Nolan2.jpg
And make it look like THIS one?:
2226156561_2548fa6998.jpg
As you can imagine, I'd love to make t-shirts with that little slogan on it. Could anybody please do this simple favor?
There's a webapp where you can make Obama icons from pictures:

http://obamiconme.pastemagazine.com/

I can easily provide a gif for this use, but the Nolan picture will need some tweaking in Photoshop in terms of lighting to get it to look right. I just don't have the patience to do the necessary tweaking at this very moment, though. :funny:

Christopher-Nolan.gif

There's a webapp where you can make Obama icons from pictures:

http://obamiconme.pastemagazine.com/

I can easily provide a gif for this use, but the Nolan picture will need some tweaking in Photoshop in terms of lighting to get it to look right. I just don't have the patience to do the necessary tweaking at this very moment, though. :funny:

Christopher-Nolan.gif

I whipped this one op pretty quickly, not perfect.

3305851089_69cdc8feb9_o.png

And here is the site URL so you can vote and comment: http://obamiconme.pastemagazine.com/entries/884083-hero

^Mine's basically the same thing, just with a different caption.
original_image.png

:woot:

And thanks so much, Anita, for finding that site! I'm gonna have to turn this bad boy into a shirt now.

Last edited:
Agreed. Now that TDK is out, overzelous fanboys think that Nolan is better than anybody else and they suck. He's not perfect for God's sake. There are some flaws in TDK like every single film.

You're saying Nolan is better than Kubrick, Spielberg, Scott, Scorsese, all because of one film? Lets not jump here. Yes, he's a great filmmaker, an excellent one at that, but not just yet has he achived what those others have done. Nolan may have done it in one or two films, those others did them in many (I'm not basing skill on how many films they've done, just influential wise) and still inspire to this day.

If Nolan keeps it up and never has the duds that those other directors have had in their careers, then he will be regarded just as highly as they are. He's 6 for 6 in the very good/great category for his movies. Every one of those directors that you mentioned has had duds in their careers. We'll see how long Mr. Nolan can keep up such high quality work. His first dud might be coming with Inception or maybe Batman 3. We shall see.

I dont know if anyone else has noticed this, but while thinking about how people die alot in Christopher nolan's movies, I came to the realization that at least one important female character has died in every one of his movies (the exception is TDK which has 2 [ Judge Surillo ])

The Following- The Blonde
Memento- Leonard's wife
Insomnia- Kay Connell
Batman Begins- Martha Wayne
The Prestige- Angier's wife, Julia
The Dark Knight- Rachel Dawes

So with this possibly coincidential pattern, anyone thinking that Inception will continue with a significant female death?

I dont know if anyone else has noticed this, but while thinking about how people die alot in Christopher nolan's movies, I came to the realization that at least one important female character has died in every one of his movies (the exception is TDK which has 2 [ Judge Surillo ])

The Following- The Blonde
Memento- Leonard's wife
Insomnia- Kay Connell
Batman Begins- Martha Wayne
The Prestige- Angier's wife, Julia
The Dark Knight- Rachel Dawes

So with this possibly coincidential pattern, anyone thinking that Inception will continue with a significant female death?

Ummm, yeah...but how many dudes died in those movies? And what about brooding male leads who are usually overly obsessive and in over thier heads? Nolan has a lot of recurring themes.

I think Nolan's The Dark Knight and The Prestige are absolute masterpieces. :up:

Spielberg created the bloody summer blockbuster genre for crying out loud.

That's why I hate him so much.

For creating an avenue for big spectacles? Or for others not making full use of the mainstream accessibility? The latter's not his fault.

I think Nolan's The Dark Knight and The Prestige are absolute masterpieces. :up:

It's not his fault that various uncreative producers/execs(Don Simpson, Jon Peters etc) and hack directors (from Bay to Ratner) would greenlight or conceive blockbusters without the thoughtfulness, humanity and love for cinema that permeates Spielberg's best.

The Dark Knight (which Spielberg praised publicly) despite it's tone has suceeded in the ways Steven's best blockbusters (Jaws, Raiders, ET, Saving Private Ryan) did in that it's a rare example, in this day and age, that creating a deliberate money-spinner doesn't mean you have to produce something that is the cinematic equivalent of low-grade junk food.

If anything it was Spielberg who created the perception that just because something's genre (sci-fi, action) doesn't mean a mass audience shouldn't be taking it seriously.

And that's something, as comic book/film fans, we should be thankful for. Because is you ask Chris Nolan who were the directors who influenced him going into the Batman project he would (and has) mentioned Spielberg.

Ah, don't take me too seriously on that one. I love so many Spielberg's movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"