The Rocket Raccoon Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Guardians of the Galaxy' started by QBComics, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Joeyjojo72 Registered

I agree it won't make or break. But why is "I'm used to it" an important reason for you. Why not something totally new that defies your expectations? That's the beauty of this project: the possibilities are endless.

2. craigdbfan Registered

I thought it worked well for the character, I'm more than fine with something completely different if that's the path they go down. You're trying to start conflict about something where there is none.

Where did I say it was important in my post? Go ahead and point it out. You're literally putting words into my post.

You don't have to remind me about possibilities about this movie seeing as I've been an ardent supporter of everything they've been doing.

3. Joeyjojo72 Registered

I misunderstood your (brand new?) phrase "wish factor". My apologies.

4. Amputech Registered

We always discuss this, but it really seems like you are against a British accent with a passion. Despite the fact that it was in his background in the comics and he has actually been portrayed as British on several occasions. It's the Conroy effect. Kevin Conroy is Batman no matter what. Greg Ellis is RR.

I know they won't get him (despite him being an actual actor on film as well), and he may not be British after all but come on. Stop making it seem like a cockney accent would be worst thing in the world and blaming random directors for "popularizing" something that has been around since Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

People that really like RR have a vision for his voice in there head already. We know it may not turn out what we want but there is a basis to why we want an accent.

5. cph9fa Registered

I don't care whether they do an accent or not, but what if Simon Pegg's little Ant-Man tease on twitter today was actually a misdirection, and he's voicing RR?

#305 cph9fa, Aug 15, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  6. Norrin Parker Majestor of the Shi'ar

I've wanted Pegg for RR since this got announced I'd be thrilled if he got it.

7. Spider-Fan83 with great power...

well that never made sense to me either (as much as I love the OT)

8. jaqua99 ....I need a horse!

It's associated with sophistication. I don't understand how people are saying, how could an Alien speak with a british accent? Thor? Loki? Odin? Asgardians? Not to mention the deleted scene from Thor 1.

Darcy: "So how can you speak our language?"
    Volstagg "Your language? Ha! Silly girl,. you're speaking ours"

English could and obviously is, a universal language, in the MCU. Which means it didn't originate on Earth. I just assume the British accent was adopted ISN'T a British accent, it's just a language, and an accent adopted by mankind from some alien race.

I have no problem with Rocket using a British accent whatsoever. To the people who are saying that he's an alien, he shouldn't be speaking with a British accent, well, I have no idea how that can even be a concern, it's clearly a universal language, and a British accent of Earth didn't originate on Earth, the Asgardians, a race of beings from a different dimension have been speaking English, with a "British" accent much longer than humans have even existed. So again, there's nothing wrong with him having a British accent.

9. TheFBI Registered

If English is the "universal language" why didnt the Norse who viewed the Asgardians as Gods speak it? That deleted scene was just a way around subtitles, like many movies making the foreigners speak with accented english. Im sure Red Skull didnt speak english in germany, its just easier than reading subtitles.

10. jaqua99 ....I need a horse!

This really doesn't have much to do with the point I was trying to make

I never said it's THE "universal language", don't put words in my mouth please.

I said it's a universal language. Meaning the language has been spoken through out the universe, before human beings existed. Which is what I said. It already existed BEFORE humans started speaking it. The Norse, had their own language, just like Japanese, Russians, Chinese and different cultures have their own languages. but that doesn't change the fact that English was spoken by other races of beings through out the universe.
    It's a language spoken through out the universe. That's what I meant, and SAID.

11. TheFBI Registered

chill out bud, i just read it incorrectly. it still doesnt change the face that the norse would have learned english to be like their gods. it doesnt make sense that they wouldnt be able to communicate with them. English is universal on earth due to americans not being willing to learn other languages, and other countries adopting that to do business, along with the colonialism of the british. its very similar to why so many people are learning spanish and chineese, the sheer number of speakers. That doesnt mean in any capacity that english has to be spoken on other planets. Youre looking at this from an anglicized perspective anyways. see the movie in any other language and ALL the characters will be speaking THAT language. its all subjective

#311 TheFBI, Aug 18, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  12. warcam Registered

Exactly. Just like the old Godzilla movies that featured aliens that spoke Japanese. :funny:

13. warcam Registered

Getting back to RR's voice.......you-know-who is hinting that Joe Pesci is the frontrunner to voice RR. I know, I know....:rolleyes:

14. Silvermoth Krakoan native

Voldemort? What's his stake in this?!

15. Pink Ranger The North Remembers

"What? You're sayin' I'm a racoon? You're saying I like to eat garbage? Is that what you're sayin'?"

16. 747 Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

Pesci would be awesome imo. Has that kind of gnarly voice that I imagine Rocket with. And he can do great cocky delivery.

17. Suzanne78 Abs Without Fear

Just watched a clip of Lollipop Chainsaw... I want to play that so bad! What a great voice cast.

I'm actually totally cool with Sean Gunn voicing RR. Hell, I'm cool with most of the actors mentioned here voicing RR.

They just announced that Gregg Henry (the a$$hole mayor in Slither, and overall great character actor) is joining GOTG. I'm so excited; I kind of wanted him cast in GOTG ever since James Gunn was announced to direct. I actually would think he'd make a hilarious Rocket... with a southern accent.

18. 747 Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

I don't see the problem with an alien speaking english with an accent, it's not much weirder really than the aliens speaking english to begin with. It's all part of the "suspension of disbilief" when it comes to fiction like this. Like jaqua99 said: I just imagine something like english being one of the most common languages in the cosmic world and that it existed even before earth started using it.

Most of all I don't think too much about it, that would take away much of the fun. It's like the Clark Kent glasses disguise, I know it doesn't make sense, but I still love it; and thus I suspend my disbilief for it

With that said, I never totally embraced the cockney accent of Rocket in EMH, so it's not something I wish for.

19. johnrain Registered

20. ThePhantasm 2 sexy 4 a stormtrooper

they should cast ben affleck as rocket raccoon

21. Amputech Registered

This and your avatar are making me laugh so much right now. :lmao:

22. MCU Registered

23. Pink Ranger The North Remembers

How sure are we that Rocket Racoon will even have human speech? Maybe he'll be like Chewbacca, and just chitter like a real racoon but have most of the other characters (except Starlord maybe) automatically understand him.

24. TheFBI Registered

Because he talks in the comics, TV shows, and video games. And because thats Groots thing

25. Norrin Parker Majestor of the Shi'ar

Yeah he's definitely going to talk, they already are looking at Bradley Cooper and its not for chitters.