Guardians of the Galaxy The Rocket Raccoon Appreciation Thread

If they're going for A-list, they should go for Christian Bale, George Clooney (has experience voicing animals), Brad Pitt, or even Hugh Jackman. Maybe Matt Damon.
Funny that Bale also crossed my mind. Bale's iconic yelling would be so incredible coming out of Rocket Raccoon.

I imagine Tony Todd's voice when I see Rocket Racoon myself.

Today I saw a two second shot of a racoon shooting a machine gun. #sold.

Depending on how the character is written, either Christian Bale in Cockney mode, or Patrick Stewart.

Just cast Tom Cruse & have him do his Les Grossman voice with this Raccoon

I still want either H. Jon Benjamin or Ian Mcshane for Rocket.

I like the idea of a Cockney English geezer type. Ray Winstone would be a candidate.

He's not an A-list movie star but the voice is there.

I like the idea of a Cockney English geezer type. Ray Winstone would be a candidate.

He's not an A-list movie star but the voice is there.

I don't think Rocket Racoon having an English accent is a good idea...especially that none of the other main cast are english. Just doesn't fit in well.

I don't think Rocket Racoon having an English accent is a good idea...especially that none of the other main cast are english. Just doesn't fit in well.

Agreed. I thought I was the only one. I know it seems to go against the popular opinion, but I'm not a huge fan of any type of British accent for RR.

If that's how they go I'll accept it, it's not a deal breaker or anything. Just my preference.

Yeah I just don't get the fixation with a British voice. Completely unnecessary. People need to stop seeing rocket as a cartoon character that needs an amusing contrasting voice (cute creature with a tough old cockney voice). Totally the wrong approach. As is casting an uber-recognizable a)celebrity or b)aging character actor (Keith David et al). This isn't a circa 80s Don Bluth animated movie. Something new please.

it doesn't even really make sense for him to have the accent, he's not from England, he's from a different planet...

unless he only learned english from watch old British tv shows

Yeah I just don't get the fixation with a British voice. Completely unnecessary. People need to stop seeing rocket as a cartoon character that needs an amusing contrasting voice (cute creature with a tough old cockney voice). Totally the wrong approach. As is casting an uber-recognizable a)celebrity or b)aging character actor (Keith David et al). This isn't a circa 80s Don Bluth animated movie. Something new please.

I actually think Keith David would be a good choice for RR, he has a superb voice.

RR will probably end up being Sean Gunn anyways.

Love KD, but he has one of the most overused voices in the world. I dont want to be thinking of the latest Buick commercial or Goliath from Gargoyles or UPS or whatshisface from Mass Effect when Im watching Rocket. hes just too on-the-nose and obvious and overused.

Not his fault hes ubiquitous and overplayed, the dude has a great voice!

it doesn't even really make sense for him to have the accent, he's not from England, he's from a different planet...

The same would apply to all the British accents in Star Wars too, in that case.

I've always imagined Rocket's voice being kinda gnarly. I don't really want the big voice/small character contrast here.

Every way English is spoken around the world has an accent. An English accent would make as little or as much sense as if he spoke like an American, a Canadian or an Australian.

Although H. Jon Benjamin is a good choice, as he sounds permanently stoned all the time. :funny:

I have confidence in Marvel.

And I just can't get over how freaking cool he looks shooting guns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:)

Yeah I just don't get the fixation with a British voice.
Maybe because that's how most people were introduced to the character. Rocket has had the tough british/cockney in 3 different things (MvC3, A:EMH, Marvel Heroes) before losing it in Avengers Assemble.

People need to stop seeing rocket as a cartoon character that needs an amusing contrasting voice (cute creature with a tough old cockney voice).
Contrast is what Rocket is all about. Whether he's cockney or not, he still needs to sound like a hardass. I don't see what's so cartoony about that. In fact, I think it'd be more cartoony if he didn't sound tough. A lot of people have suggested actors like Steve Buscemi and Adam Sandler... THAT would turn him into a cartoon character.

Last edited:
I'm guessing GOTG will build up on the Thanos threat and in A3 The Guardians will go to earth to help deal with him..or maybe the Avengers head into space :o?

I hope that's what happens. I know they said the Guardians won't be involved in the next Avengers film, but that doesn't mean they can't show up in A3.

I'm sure most people here have read The Infinity Gauntlet story. Look how many superheros it took to go against Thanos. The Avengers will defintely need some extra help.

He can sound tough without having a baritone voice. That would just scream "animated movie" and or "stunt". He's a tiny raccoon and his voice should reflect that.

Edit: buscemi, a real actor who has a higher voice but can (and has repeatedly) play tough, could actually work. He has nothing in common with Sandler so not sure where that came from. Nobody is suggesting a comedian as far as I know.

Edit: looks like Sean Gunn is getting the nod so its moot now. If I remember from Gilmore girls, he was anything but tough sounding. Its called ACTING, which is way better than typecasting a familiar voice because you think it would sound cool and amusing coming out of a raccoon. That would be the wrong approach imo, which is why I'm relieved they're going in a different direction.

Last edited:
Interesting if they went with Sean Gunn. Really thought they'd go with a much bigger name actor.

Just listened to him in Lollipop Chainsaw as the character Swan and he sounds insane.

If he throws in a good cockney accent in there then we're set.

Just listened to him in Lollipop Chainsaw as the character Swan and he sounds insane.

If he throws in a good cockney accent in there then we're set.

Sigh. Can't wait til we get a sample of his voice so we can put the cockney thing to rest. (I blame Guy Richie)

Sigh. Can't wait til we get a sample of his voice so we can put the cockney thing to rest. (I blame Guy Richie)
What are you sighing about?

I'm not saying it's definitely going to be a cockney accent. It's more of a wish factor on my part seeing as that's the voice I'm use to due to MvC3.

Won't make or break the character for me if he doesn't have it. I also don't see how Guy Ritchie has any relevance here either...

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"