Guardians of the Galaxy The Rocket Raccoon Appreciation Thread

Because the cockney is what his media appearances have used and I think it works for the character. Gives him a bit more attitude. Like there's this raccoon and he talks with a cockney accent. It would I think maybe offset that he's this walking, talking interstellar avenging raccoon.

the "media appearances" are miniscule. The video game isnt a factor and his appearance in EMH is like a few minutes at most. And of course this "media" is targeted at kids. The most extensive "media" appearances for Rocket are the comics, and hes definitely not using a thick English accent.

They need to start from scratch, and try a few different things before settling on a voice actor. Im confident they will test out many voices before they cast it, and theres no reason to think it will be cockney or even English. They have plenty of other options that would work.

He's not written as a Brit but you have to admit RR calling people "wanker" just fits

Maybe if Rocket was a character in Guy Ritchies R-rated remake of Who Framed Roger Rabbit it would.

Anyway, he won't be saying "wanker" or "*******" or any other term that means "*********or" so it doesnt really matter.

It isn't necessary to make him a brit. Just how I always envisioned him. It's not a deal breaker however. Just as long as they don't make him cutest or dopey.

Agreed. My image of him is based strictly on the comics, and it didnt even occur to me that he would have a Brit accent until I saw that Korvac ep of EMH. But I trust they'll make the right choice regardless.

has he ever been mentioned or known to have an accent in the comics...

how do you write an accent, does he use a lot of English slang or something

Last edited:
Colloquialisms, accenting of words, phrasing, etc

I kinda imagined Rocket with a Clint Eastwood style voice and a brooding no nonsense attitude. For the movie I picture a scene somewhat like the following:

BLAM!!!

Groot: Rocket! W-why did you do that! He was a CLOWN for cryin out loud!

Rocket: Couldn't be helped, he lunged at me and I had to make a split second decision. I don't have a problem makin the tough calls.

Groot: He was just handing you a balloon!

Rocket: Yeah, and I appreciate it. Let's go...

I for one hope the cockney is present in full force. This is an interstellar racoon who pulls massive guns out of nowhere in combat. he is inherently a completely ludicrous over-the-top character and that's why he's awesome. The accent just helps with that out-there image and i love it.

Do want :awesome:

mTBWP.jpg

OOH! I want, too.

Hehe, it kind of reminds me of Coulson's gun.

Mega awesome mug. Maybe I should get it early so everyone will ask me what it is and I'll explain it and it two years when the movie comes out and everyone loves Rocket Raccoon I'll look so cool for liking it first even though I only just learned about it when the movie was announced.

Yeah, that'll be my new dream...

Rooker Raccoon?

"Oh, yeah. Most certainly. I know that James Gunn is doing it. He is directing it, and he is re-writing it. He is a very loyal director. He is a very loyal writer, when it comes to working with people that he knows and loves. He really appreciates the efforts that each actor puts into these roles. And I would be very honored and pleased to work with James Gunn again...Whether it will happen or not, I don't know. But he is a dynamite guy, and we have remained friends ever since we worked together on Slither.

I haven't done much research on it at all yet. Because I don't know what is going to happen. I'm really crazy busy with The Walking Dead right now. But you know what? Write this up. Tweet the [frick] out of it. If the fans want me as Rocket Raccoon, Marvel will listen to you guys, I think, sometimes...Perhaps I will be lucky and blessed enough to go in there, and go at it with Mr. Gunn again, who knows?"

Have the Geico Gecko play RR since so many of you want him to have a cockney accent.

Walking Dead’s Michael Rooker Wants to Play Rocket Raccoon

Although Marvel’s Guardian of the Galaxy won’t go in front of the camera for a while yet, The Walking Dead actor Michael Rooker is making an early pitch to play a certain furry pint-sized tactician.

“I love raccoons,” the actor tells MovieWeb with a knowing laugh. “Raccoons are my friends!”

Rooker as the gravelly voice of the gun-toting Rocket Raccoon: He worked with director James Gunn on the 2006 horror-comedy Slither and again on the 2010 superhero comedy Super. “He is a very loyal director. He is a very loyal writer, when it comes to working with people that he knows and loves,” the actor says. “He really appreciates the efforts that each actor puts into these roles.”

And if the studio would require someone to don a form-fitting motion-capture suit for the role, Mark Ruffalo-style, Rooker has experience from his work on the video game Call of Duty: Black Ops II. Clearly, Marvel needs look no further for Rocket Raccoon.

The actor concedes that his return to The Walking Dead this season as racist meth addict Merle Dixon leaves him little time for other projects, but he makes it clear he’d find room on his schedule for Guardians of the Galaxy.

“I’m really crazy busy with The Walking Dead right now. But you know what? Write this up. Tweet the **** out of it,” Rooker says. “If the fans want me as Rocket Raccoon, Marvel will listen to you guys, I think, sometimes. … Perhaps I will be lucky and blessed enough to go in there, and go at it with Mr. Gunn again, who knows?”

Officially announced in July at Comic-Con International, Guardians of the Galaxy is reportedly “about a U.S. pilot who ends up in space in the middle of a universal conflict and goes on the run with futuristic ex-cons who have something everyone wants.” Although the Guardians have boasted a large and changing roster over the past four decades, the concept art Marvel debuted at Comic-Con features Rocket Raccoon; Drax the Destroyer, the human resurrected in the body of an alien to combat Thanos; Groot, the extraterrestrial tree monster; Star-Lord, the interplanetary police officer; and Gamora, the most dangerous woman in the universe.

Part of Marvel’s second wave of films, Guardians of the Galaxy is set to open Aug. 1, 2014.

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.c...-michael-rooker-wants-to-play-rocket-raccoon/

Hmm yknow Rooker isnt the worst idea ive heard. Could work. Better than Stathan thats for dam sure. Frankly Im sort of hoping he has an American accent and not British. Theres a good chance he will have an accent, so ill just have to deal.

Again I'll say Timothy Dalton for Rocket Raccoon, who better than a former Bond. I also had the idea of Harrison Ford not sure they could get him though.

Rooker Raccoon would be hilarious.

And awesome.

Last edited:
Its a cliche and its not necessary. there are plenty of equally cliche american accents that are associated with tough characters (various ny accents, southern accents, "street" accents). No need to look to England for this. And Rocket and his ilk were created to be cute in order to soothe the patients in an insane asylum. Giving him Jason Stathan's gravelly voice would completely defeat the purpose.

Yeah I don't think we'll be seeing or even hearing about Rocky's goofy ass origins. If we even hear about his origins, they'll most likely be changed drastically.

Even though I want the Cockney accent, I'd love for Rooker to play Rocky as well.

How about Bradley Whitford for Rocket?

It would be incredibly awesome and hilarious if they did a flashback depicting Rocket's work in the asylum. Totally unnecessary but totally awesome. Fingers crossed.

And I'm pretty sure a walking talking raccoon with a bazooka will warrant at least a brief explanation of some sort. Showing it would be soo cool and bizarre, but it may not make the cut. i actually love the modern Rocket's origin story, at least the updated version.

I like Bradley Whitford, but I can't say that his "normal" voice makes me feel one way or the other. Does he do different voices? I suppose there are several good actors who could create a voice just for Rocket.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"