Days of Future Past The Sentinels - Part 1

I continue to boggle at the idea of "future sentinels as masses of magnetized metal shifting their shape via magnetism." It just seems so. . . obvious achilles heel, and just beggining the fridge logic.

The future Sentinels are biomechanical and they are made of magnetic plates that contract and grow. The past ones are made of plastic.
And why Magneto controled the past ones? then Magneto can control the future ones?

And why Magneto controled the past ones? then Magneto can control the future ones?

They are mainly made of plastic, but they have electronic parts:
I started coming up with ideas that were a little wacky and a little out there and Bryan said, 'John...It has to be the Sentinels. We went back through history to when Bolivar Trask introduced them in 1965. They started with the Mark I and went through so many variants, but what we found is they all had some similarities.

The main thing was, they were all humanoid. They all had a head, arms and legs, and that was something that was very important for Bryan to keep. And they were also purple. We thoughts how fantastic the purple colouring was, it was just great and unusual and exciting. That was just part of the inspiration for their look. In the 70s there was so much great design, but something that was particularly strong in the era was beautiful industrial design, which was very clean, very rounded, using a lot of plastic, a lot of smoked Plexiglas.

The electronics within the head give the impression of a face when they activate and move," Myhre adds. "So while it doesn't literally have a nose, eyes and a mouth, when you see it moving and the mechanics flittering around beneath that tinted plastic, you definitely get the impression of a face. Which just makes it more horrifying

About the future ones, I have no idea if Magneto can control them, I guess he can, but he might not have fully recovered his powers. He is also old. :oldrazz:
And they are supposed to have magnetic shields too:
http://www.trask-industries.com/infographics/trask_sentinel_diagram/index.html

The shot of the Sentinel's flying next to Magneto in the trailer is misleading - FilmNerdJamie confirmed as much a couple days ago.

I continue to boggle at the idea of "future sentinels as masses of magnetized metal shifting their shape via magnetism." It just seems so. . . obvious achilles heel, and just beggining the fridge logic.

The Sentinels - both past and present - have magnetic shield boost capabilities so that renders Magneto useless against them. Not to mention, it also sounds like future Sentinels have the ability to mimic mutant abilities.

So yea, everyone is screwed.

Not to mention there are a TON of future sentinels. Magneto can't stop them all, which I'm sure probably becomes evident when they most likely overwhelm him and he most likely dies.

Yeah I'm sure it will be a massive battle between the mutants and the sentinels

They are mainly made of plastic, but they have electronic parts:

About the future ones, I have no idea if Magneto can control them, I guess he can, but he might not have fully recovered his powers. He is also old. :oldrazz:
And they are supposed to have magnetic shields too:
http://www.trask-industries.com/infographics/trask_sentinel_diagram/index.html

The shot of the Sentinel's flying next to Magneto in the trailer is misleading - FilmNerdJamie confirmed as much a couple days ago.

The Sentinels - both past and present - have magnetic shield boost capabilities so that renders Magneto useless against them. Not to mention, it also sounds like future Sentinels have the ability to mimic mutant abilities.

So yea, everyone is screwed.
Thanks for the answer!!! :D

Last edited:
quKgacI.gif

To me, my problem with the 70s Sentinels is I feel like they are robots that aren't designed in the 70s. Even with the "futuristic equipments" that were made in the 70s, you could tell that they weren't made in the 90s or 2000s. These Sentinels looks like they were designed/made in the late 90s and early 2000s.

Well you have to remember that they aren't regular robots. Trask's clearly has technology that's beyond it's time, who know what resources he has . After all it's not like 35 ft robots exist in real life.

Last edited:
Ah yes, the X-Men save the world from a Nuclear Armageddon and stop Shaw and the Hellfire Club, and what is their reward? To have giant killer robots built for the express purpose of hunting them down. Man their lives suck.

Interesting. How will Magneto control the Sentinels if they are made fron non-metal material?

Ah yes, the X-Men save the world from a Nuclear Armageddon and stop Shaw and the Hellfire Club, and what is their reward? To have giant killer robots built for the express purpose of hunting them down. Man their lives suck.

Its not like all mutants are nice. I mean, all this war probably wouldn't escalated if Magneto weren't killing people, if Shaw wasn't having experimentation on his fellow mutants. Some mutants like Magneto should also take the blame.

If Bryan Singer is *really* good, that might turn out to be a hint rather than a plot hole: what if Trask has knowledge out of time? After all, in the comics, his son was a precog.

I don't care what the Sentinels are made of- they are amazing! I keep hearing though that they can use other mutants powers like Sunspots supposedly...but I think it's just an energy blast.

They don't look too advanced. It looks pretty 70s to me. All big and clunky. Ykno for giant killer robots... Though I wonder what's going on in that scene. They reveal them and they begin to fire at the crowd? Maybe they automatically sense mutants and begin to fire?

with mutants around with all different abilities there is obviously a door to have more advanced technology for its time

If Bryan Singer is *really* good, that might turn out to be a hint rather than a plot hole: what if Trask has knowledge out of time? After all, in the comics, his son was a precog.

This.

There's been surprisingly little info revealed about Trask. There is something they are keeping hidden about him.

Actually this is true.... I don't know a lot about trask role in the film apart from the fact he designs them.... What's his motive? Alteriamotive? How much screen time will he get... It is peter dinklange after all.

What to expect?

To me, my problem with the 70s Sentinels is I feel like they are robots that aren't designed in the 70s. Even with the "futuristic equipments" that were made in the 70s, you could tell that they weren't made in the 90s or 2000s. These Sentinels looks like they were designed/made in the late 90s and early 2000s.
I get what you are saying, but your comment about them looking like they were made in the 90s or 2000s amuses me. We don't even have robots like that NOW. :cwink:

It would have been nice to see some more retro looking sentinels though, I agree. This is technically a period movie. It would have been fun to give them a stronger 70s technology vibe.

I'm curious as to how many people die in that scene.

I hope they don't ***** out and pull an Avengers and have no civilians die. This movie wants to up the stakes of how bad the world is turning due to Sentinels(who we all know end up turning on normal people too)they should make the earlier versions something to be feared.

I'm curious as to how many people die in that scene.

I hope they don't ***** out and pull an Avengers and have no civilians die.This movie wants to up the stakes of how bad the world is turning due to Sentinels(who we all know end up turning on normal people too)they should make the earlier versions something to be feared.
I think it depends on who's controlling those sentinels. If it's Magneto hijacking them I don't think he would try to kill people -- at least not the ones sitting in the audience.

I dispute that civilians didn't die in the Avengers. We didn't see it up close, but it's common sense that people died in some of those buildings that got side-swiped by that giant ship.

Willing to bet they target a mutant and it goes ape****, ala Wolverine and the X-Men.

I hope they don't ***** out and pull an Avengers and have no civilians die.

One, watch the movie again with your eyes open. Plenty of civilians died. Who do you think those photo shrines at the end were for.

Two, the heroes preventing mass death is a *good* thing. It means they *succeeded*.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"