Days of Future Past The Sentinels - Part 1

Yes, civilians died. But I think Figs means he wants to see some deaths. While there were shrines and everything, you literally didn't see a single civilian die as a result of the invasion. Sure, it was implied, but it's not like you saw a body on the ground.

I get what you are saying, but your comment about them looking like they were made in the 90s or 2000s amuses me. We don't even have robots like that NOW. :cwink:

Actually they remind of disc-mans/mac computers that came out in the 90s. And I think if they were robots in the 70s, they wouldn't look as slick as these Sentinels in the 70s.

Yes, civilians died. But I think Figs means he wants to see some deaths. While there were shrines and everything, you literally didn't see a single civilian die as a result of the invasion. Sure, it was implied, but it's not like you saw a body on the ground.

Pretty much this. I'm not asking for some crazy violent deaths, just a few bodies on the ground. That way it hits home a bit more.

HtNQIYH.gif

AfQq0Ou.gif

mkkEcCx.gif

So, how exactly is the story supposed to play out? Sentinels were build in the past, went amok, got turned off. Then decades pass while they tried to improve the Sentinels, only for them to go amok again when they re-activated them?

Last edited:
I don't think the project was ever really "terminated" but they gave off that impression after the original project left a bad taste in peoples mouth (mostly blood from them dieing) but Trask was always in the background kind of tweaking everything until Mark X happens.

There might also be a "master mold" like robot that is self sustaining and improving the sentinels but that's just my speculation.

i dont think the sentinels would make much sense without some form of mastermold existing... whether it be just software A.I or the literal factory-robot-maker version in the comics.

i dont think the sentinels would make much sense without some form of mastermold existing... whether it be just software A.I or the literal factory-robot-maker version in the comics.

For the future, yes. I think that's one of the things running them in the future. As for the past, no. We have seen a picture of Hank's giant "TiVo" set up and i cringe at what an AI unit would look like, or where it would even go.

I dig the Sentinels. I would have liked to have seen the evolution of each from Mark 1 to 10, but the simple fact we are even getting Sentinels makes me happy.

I dig the Sentinels. I would have liked to have seen the evolution of each from Mark 1 to 10, but the simple fact we are even getting Sentinels makes me happy.

We might see the evolution. We haven't seen the entire film yet!

Those seventies sentinels look fricken brillaint. Just like the comics imo. They kept the shape and design and just curved it up abit

Does anyone have that joke pic where someone photoshopped the Mark 1 to look like a fan?

sentinels look great
alot better than that x-2 concept

To me, my problem with the 70s Sentinels is I feel like they are robots that aren't designed in the 70s. Even with the "futuristic equipments" that were made in the 70s, you could tell that they weren't made in the 90s or 2000s. These Sentinels looks like they were designed/made in the late 90s and early 2000s.

I have to agree, for someone like me that was around in the 70's and 80's, there is no way those could be created back then.

this picture in from Japan from the early 70's. An example of a 70's looking robot with gears and stuff.

JAPANESE AIZAWA ROBOT

Aizawa-Schodt-p2-x640.jpg

aizawa-model-mag1967-Right-x640.jpg

Japanese-Aizawa-Robot-p3-x640.jpg

I have to agree, for someone like me that was around in the 70's and 80's, there is no way those could be created back then.

this picture in from Japan from the early 70's. An example of a 70's looking robot with gears and stuff.

JAPANESE AIZAWA ROBOT

Aizawa-Schodt-p2-x640.jpg

aizawa-model-mag1967-Right-x640.jpg

Japanese-Aizawa-Robot-p3-x640.jpg

But you have to remember this is a movie where people have super powers, the only reason they look "newer" is because of the plastic parts on them. Their legs look like parts from construction equipment, especially the hydrolics.

JAPANESE AIZAWA ROBOT

Even though the series crosses over with historical events it's still it's own universe, their own 70's could have that advanced but limited-in-supply technology. After all it is a film with people that have mutations to be able to control the weather and turn their skin into metal. I always find it strange when us audiences (I myself am guilty of this time to time) state how fiction can be unrealistic.

I think it comes down to visuals. Even though they are supposed to be old school, they just look too modern for the 70's. Also, if the technology already existed in the 70's to create such amazing robots, then present day earth in the X-Men Movies, would look completely different. We'd already have have flying cars like everyone thought we'd have in the future.

iBusqeK.jpg

Even with the Sentinel project shut down because the ran amok, why has none of the other technology been used in other fields of the industry? Personally, I think it would have made more sense if the Sentinels made their first appearance in present day. But then they wouldn't have been able to use the 70's cast.

They're not supposed to be old school...they're supposed to be futuristic...for that world, for the 70's.

But they don't look like the 70's idea of futuristic. They look like the late 90's or early 2000's idea of futuristic.

Also
Does anyone have that joke pic where someone photoshopped the Mark 1 to look like a fan?

I bet no one saved this and I'll never find it.

But they don't look like the 70's idea of futuristic. They look like the late 90's or early 2000's idea of futuristic.

They just feel visually out of sync, with the time period they are supposed to exist in.

I don't see the problem. This is a world where Cerebro, the X-jet, etc, look way more advanced.

Recreating the exact look/feel of the 70s (or any other bygone era) never happens in movies made after that time; it's always a more stylised portrayal. Same with First Class and its depiction of the 60s or Captain America's depiction of the 1940s.

They just feel visually out of sync, with the time period they are supposed to exist in.

I feel the same way, and said as much months ago when we first saw them. It's not a dealbreaker or anything though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"