Days of Future Past 'Days Of Future Past' BOX-OFFICE worldwide prediction - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone considered that maybe the general audience just didn't love the movie as much as a lot of members on the hype?

In my honest opinion, the movies is performing as expected based on the movie I saw, but I seem to be one of the few people on the hype not totally enamored with DOFP.

The next film really needs to bring the X-Men to its full potential. I hope Apocalypse is done justice.

And then there was doom and gloom. :(

It's a shame it won't make big blockbuster numbers, even with all the X-Men involved, and the world's most popular woman Jennifer Lawrence.

But we've had seven X-Men films now, over fourteen years that's one every other year. We have at least four genuinely good X-Men movies (the Singer ones and First Class), and that's more than most superhero franchises get.

Has anyone considered that maybe the general audience just didn't love the movie as much as a lot of members on the hype?

In my honest opinion, the movies is performing as expected based on the movie I saw, but I seem to be one of the few people on the hype not totally enamored with DOFP.

The next film really needs to bring the X-Men to its full potential. I hope Apocalypse is done justice.
I've considered that and I don't believe it's as beloved as it is here on Hype.

so it looks like cap2 is going to be domestic champ among comic films for 2014 surprised I would have picked xmen and spidey doubt guardians does over 200mill domestic

I find all the Transformers films very entertaining. It's very easy to look down on action and spectacle, but it takes a lot of talent to create a great action scene. It's not something just anyone can do - Christopher Nolan, for instance, can't do action no matter how many times he tries, nor can Tim Burton, great directors though they are. It's an under-rated skill.

When I think of action and spectacle I think of Spielberg and Cameron in their heyday. Bay's penchant for the same stuff is very poor in comparison. Even Emmerich, who excells at the same visual motifs Bay works at, does them vastly more skillfully. I guess I see no worth in Bay. Not as an action guy, or anything really.

I believe Apocalypse could actually break the ceiling of this franchise, even if this movie is the highest grossing X-men film yet, but Apocalypse could set the franchise to really compete with the other superhero movies. If Apocalypse introduces Cyclops, Jean, Storm, Gambit, and Nightcrawler as a team. Now mix that in with city's being leveled (aka the action that these superheroes movies usually do), an the A list X-men fighting Apocalypse and his horsemen and that is something we haven't seen from these movies ever. That could bring in more interest IMO. We haven't really seen an A list X-men team together to take down an evil villain in a long time, probably since The Last Stand.

so it looks like cap2 is going to be domestic champ among comic films for 2014 surprised I would have picked xmen and spidey doubt guardians does over 200mill domestic

Well, Cap has several advantages...

1. It's more-or-less an Avengers sequel, with Black Widow, Nick Fury, etc.

2. Only two previous movie appearances - he's fresh compared to five films Spidey and the X_Men's seven.

3. Extremely strong word-of-mouth.

I think Guardians will be lucky to hit 170mil. Feel free to bring this post back up and tell me how wrong I was if I'm wrong.

I find all the Transformers films very entertaining. It's very easy to look down on action and spectacle, but it takes a lot of talent to create a great action scene. It's not something just anyone can do - Christopher Nolan, for instance, can't do action no matter how many times he tries, nor can Tim Burton, great directors though they are. It's an under-rated skill.

I think this is the why a lot of people have problems with Bay. He has a ton of talent when it comes to action but ignores so many other aspects of filmaking. He's the director equivalent of a high school superstar basketball player who never lived up to his potential because he refused to develop a jumpshot and relied on natural athleticism

I believe Apocalypse could actually break the ceiling of this franchise, even if this movie is the highest grossing X-men film yet, but Apocalypse could set the franchise to really compete with the other superhero movies. If Apocalypse introduces Cyclops, Jean, Storm, Gambit, and Nightcrawler as a team. Now mix that in with city's being leveled (aka the action that these superheroes movies usually do), an the A list X-men fighting Apocalypse and his horsemen and that is something we haven't seen from these movies ever. That could bring in more interest IMO. We haven't really seen an A list X-men team together to take down an evil villain in a long time, probably since The Last Stand.

Cool ideas, but I'm afraid what you are doing there is describing what a fan wants to see, not what will make the series more appealing to the general audience, which is where the money is.

I assume he came to that conclusion because TLS did over $234 million and DoFP is tracking to do significantly less than that. It's now estimated that DoFP is going to make less this weekend than TASM2 did in its second weekend, and TASM2 has pretty much no chance at hitting The Last Stand's domestic total.

Gotcha.:up:

Transformers isn't my cup of tea but I'm not conceded enough to need every film to appeal to me. The Transformers films are billion dollar juggernauts and people love them and the audience isn't un-intelligent for loving them. Some of the best posters I know love the Transformers films.

I like the 1st and 3rd one. Very much looking to AoE.:woot:

Maybe the ga won't accept two Superhero teams dominating the box office (hello JLA). But there was a time when X-men was the only superhero team in town. And it still failed to dominate the box office like Spider-man did two years later. Maybe X-men is fated to have a limited appeal in the box office that no amount of quality may overcome?

Cool ideas, but I'm afraid what you are doing there is describing what a fan wants to see, not what will make the series more appealing to the general audience, which is where the money is.

I don't see how a team of Cyclops, Jean, Storm, Nightcrawler, Gambit, Wolverine, Beast working together to take down a new villain wouldn't be appealing to the general audience. Avengers did it, and it worked for them. There is clearly some interest in superhero team work movies by Avengers box office. Now I am not saying Apocalypse would be making as much as Avengers but the concept would be the same in terms of A-list X-men working together for the first time. Plus the marketing could also be better as to really bring in more general audience. Remember the X-men movies haven't yet showed the team work potential like in what we saw in the Avengers. If they keep the good quality of the X-men movies and make it more team friendly like Avengers it could do good IMO, especially if general audiences like the superhero team work stuff.

Last edited:
I don't see how a team of Cyclops, Jean, Storm, Nightcrawler, Gambit, Wolverine, Beast working together to take down a new villain wouldn't be appealing to the general audience. Avengers did it, and it worked for them. There is creaky some interest in superhero team work. Now I am not saying Apocalypse would be making as much as Avengers but the concept would be the same into terms of A-list X-men working together for the first time. Plus the marketing could also be better as to really bring in more general audience. Remember the X-men movies haven't yet showed the team work potential like in what we saw in the Avengers.

That's something Singer has yet to give us. I really had hope in that opening battle but it just didn't do it for me. Seriously, that tracking shot in the Avengers is something I'd like to see in an X-men film. That was team work at its finest.

I think it's been brought up that the GA May just see this as just another X-Men film with the same theme (civil rights). You and I are two of the few who aren't totally going bananas for this film. It's good but I actually preferred X2 and First Class.

That final battle in First Class is the best display of Mutant Vs Mutant action in the series. Bryan Singer is alright (I'm no huge fan) but I honestly feel that if he paired up with a co-director who's talented in staging and filming action,especially amongst people with powers, this series could see better numbers. Drama and character moments are important/great but in a superhero film you also need top notch action/spectacle which is something Singers films lack.

With the box office not holding up very well I just hope Fox doesn't dial back too much on budget to the film that's arguably going to need the most funding, Apocalypse.

Last edited:
I should add a recent example Ive had today, I showed Dofp Trailer #2 to my 11yo male cousin today at home and I was expecting some exciting reactions from him, but I didnt have it.
The movie has an amazing cast and great concept, but I basically saw the style of the trailer or how Fox sells the movie may not be as exciting for a young audience. And interestingly, my cousin is very smart by his age and he loves superheroes, he loves Spiderman and Avengers and told me a week ago that he wants to watch Dofp in the theatre. But taking into account his reactions or lack of, I guess this is a good indication that the way X-Men movies are made and are being sold isnt as appealing to a huge audience, at least not to the young one.

That's something Singer has yet to give us. I really had hope in that opening battle but it just didn't do it for me. Seriously, that tracking shot in the Avengers is something I'd like to see in an X-men film. That was team work at its finest.

I would also like to finally see a good team work effort on the X-men films. Lets see if that is the direction that they take on the next movie.

Not strictly Singer, but First Class had some decent action.

I would also like to finally see a good team work effort on the X-men films. Lets see if that is the direction that they take on the next movie.

Scope is just as important as well. I was really bummed that Storm and Magneto were limited to hovering a few feet off the ground whilst Warpath didn't even fly. I really wanted to see some ariel battles but I guess action isn't Singer's strongest suite. I really liked the Night-crawler White House attack and QS scene though.

Not strictly Singer, but First Class had some decent action.

I actually prefer the action in DOFP. Man it was brutal.:woot: But it was too short though.:csad:

Yeah I preferred the action in Days of Future Past as well, it was brutal and the use of portals was awesome lol. Although for Apocalypse supposedly it will be part disaster movie in sorts, so thus something Singer hasn't yet done before to my knowledge as well. I do think Days of Future Past showed better Team Work in terms of Singers X-movies, so I would like to see more of that team work in a larger scope. We will see.

Last edited:
Hum, i don't understand, the team work is Moscow is very creative and one of the best of the genre. Besides, in X1 we have Wolverine, Cyclop, Storm and Jean combining their power to save Rogue . So team work effort exists in X men movies .

Whisper it, but Singer didn't actually direct that scene; most of the action in Singer films is shot by the second unit director.

He still helped plan it. Plus, it was shot under his guidelines and rules. This is why not all action is created equal. If the second unit had hegemony on all action, we would be seeing better action on average.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"