The Amazing Spider-Man the spider vs the bat

spider-neil

spins a web any size!
Reaction score
batman 3 announed to come out 2012 a mere two weeks after the spidey reboot.

who comes out on top?

Why, why would you start a thread that's only going to facilitate a flame war? It's an irrelevant question made redundant by the fact that there's two weeks between both opening dates.

We need a sub-forum for a flame war section. But seriously, Sony had to have see this coming. They were perfectly positioned in 2011. Too bad they sat on it. It still has a good 2 1/2 weeks to make it's money which is all it may need. What other films could be due out in early July or mid June?

Nah, I don't see why we shouldn't be able to discuss such a topic without flaming. People just need to relax a bit.

It's impossible to speculate whether this new Spider-Man franchise will succeed or not depending on quality. However, it's Spider-Man and it will draw alot of viewers just for the name. But I think the fact that it's a new start with new director and actors will probably make it even more interesting to people and I think with good marketing, it will be a tough challenge for Batman. Though, I still think the success of The Dark Knight will make Batman win. But for some reason, I hope the Spider-Man movie will surprise us all and become an even better hit, because I think it's time for him to shine again.

sorry doublepost because my computer sucks...

It's not your CPU... it's the lag on the site.

Batman 3.

Honestly I'd be more concerned about Star Trek 2 opening the week before. The sequel is in the same position The Dark Knight, Transformers 2 and Iron Man 2 were in. It's going to be an even bigger monster-hit than the first was last summer.

Don't see how the Spider-Man reboot doesn't move a few weeks early (late-May/early-June) away from being sandwiched between those two. I'd be shocked if it doesn't.

it al depends on the quality of the spidey movie. if the movie is amazing (pun intended) the movie will hold its own, if not the movie will tank. if sony ever needed an incentive for making a quality movie now they have it

Figured this was coming

I'm happy about Batman having a release date, but Spidey won't have a chance now unless the date moves.

Sony needs to move Spidey for sure, imo. Either that, or Batman 3 will just overshadow it...

haha....like a bat. BOOSH!

We need a sub-forum for a flame war section. But seriously, Sony had to have see this coming. They were perfectly positioned in 2011. Too bad they sat on it. It still has a good 2 1/2 weeks to make it's money which is all it may need. What other films could be due out in early July or mid June?

Star Trek 2 comes out just a few days before Spidey. It's a terrible release date being in direct competition with Star Trek 2 (which had stellar word-of-mouth for ST1 whereas Spidey is rebooting) and then having its legs chopped out from underneath it a couple weeks later by Batman.

Star Trek 2 comes out just a few days before Spidey. It's a terrible release date being in direct competition with Star Trek 2 (which had stellar word-of-mouth for ST1 whereas Spidey is rebooting) and then having its legs chopped out from underneath it a couple weeks later by Batman.

Exactly.

The last Spider-Man movie was Spider-Man 3. The last Batman movie was The Dark Knight. 'Nuff said.

spidey wont get destroyed at the box office. spidey has a huge fanbase. if webb delivers a good job and i expect a solid spidey reboot, it will dominate the summer box office. the movie will be released in the 3d and i expect this movie to be a blast in 3d. tdk sequel and star trek wont get released in 3d, so this is a disadvantage for both movies.

The last Spider-Man movie was Spider-Man 3. The last Batman movie was The Dark Knight. 'Nuff said.

batman wont have the death of a major star to generate masses of hype(you'd hope) and there me masses of interest in the brand new spider-man. anyone who thinks this is a foregone conclusion is deluded. oh, for the record SM3 overseas take beat out TDK overseas take, it was domestic that TDK beat out SM3. TDK beat SM3 ww domestic by a 100m with SM3 being dire and TDK being amazing, if the new spider-man is even half decent its going to kick batman's arse. we are not talking about the movies being a year apart they will be WEEKS meaning people will decide to watch one or the other.

Last edited:
I`m sure spidey 3d will do well, but it`s gonna be in tough against b3. Fact is, spider-man 3 was destroyed by the general public and when you pit that against the sequel to one of the more acclaimed and successful movies of all time, then its gonna be in tough.

I`m sure spidey 3d will do well, but it`s gonna be in tough against b3. Fact is, spider-man 3 was destroyed by the general public and when you pit that against the sequel to one of the more acclaimed and successful movies of all time, then its gonna be in tough.

how can you say SM3 was destroyed by the GA it is the most successful spider-man movie. I don't think sony are going to move the date because of batman, they will feel if they knock the movie out of the park in terms of story and visuals the hype and WOM will carry the movie. the movie is two weeks before TDK2 if the spidey movie is fantastic then the repeat viewings is going to directly eat into batman's take.

batman wont have the death of a major star to generate masses of hype(you'd hope) and there me masses of interest in the brand new spider-man. anyone who thinks this is a foregone conclusion is deluded. oh, for the record SM3 overseas take beat out TDK overseas take, it was domestic that TDK beat out SM3. TDK beat SM3 ww domestic by a 100m with SM3 being dire and TDK being amazing, if the new spider-man is even half decent its going to kick batman's arse. we are not talking about the movies being a year apart they will be WEEKS meaning people will decide to watch one or the other.

*sigh*

For some reason people feel the need to have their hero be on top all the time. Hence the decision in every other fanbase that the reason TDK was successful was because one of its stars died. To introduce some logic:

- Heath Ledger was a bigger star overseas than he was in America, directly flying in the face of what you posted.
- Brittany Murphy was a bigger star in America than Ledger - and yet her movies are struggling to get released, let alone be massive box office smashes.
- Majority of people did not know, or care who Heath Ledger was before he was cast as The Joker.

I'm sick of this excuse being wheeled out all the time. Batman 3 will be a big movie. Why? It's all about quality. Like "Superman" and "Spider-man", Batman is a name that sells. People know it, they identify with it - they will see it. Why didn't Batman Begins have a massive box office? It was coming off of the previous Batman movies, most notably Batman & Robin. Why did TDK do well? It had huge buzz - not because its star died but because it contained one of the best performances of modern film. The hype was there before Ledger died. It also benefited from Batman Begins' reputation. Despite it's relatively "ok" box office, the movie did well on DVD. People did see it, even if not in theatres.

So Batman 3 will do well. The public knows what they're going to get, the movie is coming from the only comic book movie to ever attain that level of critical acclaim and award recognition. The cast will be spectacular. The script will be spectacular. People know this, so they will come to see it. The key to box office is not just a name, but quality. People did not see TDK 3 times just because Ledger died. That's stupid, and it's fanboys grasping at straws.

Will the new Spider-man be successful? That is answerable until we actually get the slightest idea of what the film will be like. History has proven a name isn't enough, there needs to be quality. Why was Spider-man 3 so successful? It was coming off Spider-man 1 and 2, so the public trusted Sam for quality even if all indications pointed to it being disappointing.

Well it's also a known trend that a sequel's success is very often attributed to the response to it's predecessor, and the following hype for the next story. Look at X3, Pirates 2, SM3, and (soon) IM2. Lukewarm responses, or at the very least mixed reception, but they took in tons of dough. It's undoubtedly owed to the acclaim their predecessor received. That's how strong a previous film's hype wave can carry you. It's practically critic-proof. The problem is while it saves you that round, it doesn't last. In Hollywood, you're only good as your last film. Repercussions (good or bad) follow you to your next project. Everything's a blank slate up until that last film. Look no further than the Matrix and SW:pT trilogies. There's a dramatic box office difference from film to film.

Regardless of whatever made each film a blockbuster juggernaut, TDK was far more accepted than SM3. I have no doubt you'll see this impact in drastic measures with B3 and the Spidey reboot.

Webb's take won't be the equivalent of a SM4. It's not a sequel, so luckily it'll catch a break there. BUT, I don't see it doing "Spidey numbers". I think that genuinely died with SM3, and the news of the entire crew leaving. They'll have to rebuild and repair this franchise's reputation even if they're technically not continuing Raimi's work. It's very akin to the path Batman Begins was on, though less severe. If it's tremendously good, I see it doing Star Trek/Iron Man numbers, or even a little better. Where Webb's franchise will really see the big money is at the earliest, with the sequel. And that's if he hits it outta the park with the first.

Even if Nolan pulls a Raimi, or just plain doesn't keep up with expectation, the shockwave of TDK's pop culture impact is far too great not to support the third. Money-wise, they're good to go the moment they greenlit it. I'm trying to recall an instance where a film financially underperforms, when following a highly successful blockbuster...I can't. If there are, it's certainly not a recurring event.

You apparently haven't seen the home video sales of SM3 and TDK. I will also say that the reboot despite the amount of box office should give you a good indication of how poorly received the movie was. It had a HUGE opening thanks entirely to SM1/SM2 and then terrible legs at the box office due to poor word-of-mouth. That crappy word-of-mouth led to pretty lousy DVD sales.

*sigh*

For some reason people feel the need to have their hero be on top all the time. Hence the decision in every other fanbase that the reason TDK was successful was because one of its stars died. To introduce some logic:

- Heath Ledger was a bigger star overseas than he was in America, directly flying in the face of what you posted.
- Brittany Murphy was a bigger star in America than Ledger - and yet her movies are struggling to get released, let alone be massive box office smashes.
- Majority of people did not know, or care who Heath Ledger was before he was cast as The Joker.

I'm sick of this excuse being wheeled out all the time. Batman 3 will be a big movie. Why? It's all about quality. Like "Superman" and "Spider-man", Batman is a name that sells. People know it, they identify with it - they will see it. Why didn't Batman Begins have a massive box office? It was coming off of the previous Batman movies, most notably Batman & Robin. Why did TDK do well? It had huge buzz - not because its star died but because it contained one of the best performances of modern film. The hype was there before Ledger died. It also benefited from Batman Begins' reputation. Despite it's relatively "ok" box office, the movie did well on DVD. People did see it, even if not in theatres.

So Batman 3 will do well. The public knows what they're going to get, the movie is coming from the only comic book movie to ever attain that level of critical acclaim and award recognition. The cast will be spectacular. The script will be spectacular. People know this, so they will come to see it. The key to box office is not just a name, but quality. People did not see TDK 3 times just because Ledger died. That's stupid, and it's fanboys grasping at straws.

Will the new Spider-man be successful? That is answerable until we actually get the slightest idea of what the film will be like. History has proven a name isn't enough, there needs to be quality. Why was Spider-man 3 so successful? It was coming off Spider-man 1 and 2, so the public trusted Sam for quality even if all indications pointed to it being disappointing.

the reason TDK was so successful was because it was a fantasic movie but lets not kid ourselves that ledger's death had nothing to do with the hype. it wasn't 'THE' reason for the success but it was definately one of the reasons.

spidey will live or die by the quality of the movie. if the movie is poor WOM will hit it hard, all the people that saw SM3 and disliked it wont bother to what this new version if told its just as bad as the last spidey movie they saw, if WOM is amazing everyone will remember how good SM/SM2 were and will want a piece of it.

I always wondered who would come out on top (bats/spidey) if place in direct competiton with each other, well we're about to find out. may the best movie win.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"