The summer of disappointments...

ultimatefan

The Batman must come back
Reaction score
Of course there were a few big hits, but the truth is, this summer didn´t have a single movie that´s like a Spider-Man 2 or a Finding Nemo or an X2, that is, the movie that was not only a big time hit, but it was also loved, not just liked, LOVED by critics and moviegoing audience in general. Hits like POTC2, X3, Cars, Talladega Nights, Click and Da Vinci Code have a number of detractors. Lotsa highly hyped movies ended up being deemed disappointing, like MI:III, SR, SOAP, even though they´ll make a profit. And then there were flat out bombs like Poseidon and Miami Vice. What happened? Pixar has become self-indulgent after years of excellence? People are sick of Tom Cruise? Will POTC2 become another TPM? Was it just a glitch of blockbusters not living up to expectations or is there a bigger problem in advance? People are getting tired of the big summer movies?

ultimatefan said:
Of course there were a few big hits, but the truth is, this summer didn´t have a single movie that´s like a Spider-Man 2 or a Finding Nemo or an X2, that is, the movie that was not only a big time hit, but it was also loved, not just liked, LOVED by critics and moviegoing audience in general.

From all I've seen and heard, Pirates of The Carribean 2 is very much that film.

The only movie that left me fully satisfied after leaving the theater this summer was Little Miss Sunshine. Everything else either just plain sucked (X3) or could have been much better (Pirates, Superman).

This summers movies were very dissapointing, IMO. But I'm looking forward to this fall. :up:

Summer 2006 was the worst summer in a while.

I actually thought M:I:III deserved more money, because it was my favorite movie of the summer. Snakes on a Plane was something very fun and enjoyable to see, but not the best movie in the world, by far. I think POTC2 should've have been that big, and was overhyped, because despite the money it made, it wasn't that great. I liked Miami Vice, and I felt it should've made more money. Talladega Nights was random as hell, and had it's funny parts, but it was very stupid.

But, be patient, because Fall/Winter 2006 is going to be great, and Summer 2007 will be great. :D

I forgot about MI:3. I liked that one.

Warhammer said:
Summer 2006 was the worst summer in a while.

I actually thought M:I:III deserved more money, because it was my favorite movie of the summer. Snakes on a Plane was something very fun and enjoyable to see, but not the best movie in the world, by far. I think POTC2 should've have been that big, and was overhyped, because despite the money it made, it wasn't that great. I liked Miami Vice, and I felt it should've made more money. Talladega Nights was random as hell, and had it's funny parts, but it was very stupid.

But, be patient, because Fall/Winter 2006 is going to be great, and Summer 2007 will be great. :D
Yep! :up::up::)

I'd scratch Talledda from that list since it does seem to hold up pretty well . It did exactly what it was supposed to be . People should be realistic in their expections. I mean c'mon , had anyone really expected Talledda to gross more then 200 million.

Not me.

As for the summer. Yes this is definately a summer of disappoinments and moreso the worst summer for Warner Bros.
I mean 160 million on Poseidon down the drawn , 250 million on Superman returns gone , 70 million of Lady In The Water away.
I hope to god that they come back in the fall season with good movies. Prestige looks amazing.

I really don't think people will ever get tired of big blockbuster movies because the main reason why people come to movies is to be entertained.
Blockbuster usually deliver on that front , however as soon as you start bringing in personal stuff and/or controversy in a movie , you're loosing you're audience.
Mi-3 , while a great movie , is just simply something that got hampered by the tabloid news of Tom Cruise.
Da Vinci Code was just rubbish really. Even fans complained that the movie sucked. So yeah .

I dunno about cars cause i haven't seen it.
Miami Vice was just less action , lots of talk between Gong Li and Colin Farrell and the dreaded R Rating. Studios should be wary to give directors 100 million and to know that they're going for a full R rating. I'm not saying to make a crappy PG movie , but in terms of finances i think they should go just towards 90 million max. Miami Vice could've easily broken even had it's budget been that.

All of my friends agree, this summer was one of the worst for movies in recent memory.
It's not because we're "haturz", or because "we're negative people who don't like ANYthing".

It's just a fact, when I lived in Utah, every single summer was exciting. I moved to Seattle in 2001 and every single summer since then we'd all go to the movies and have at least one or two big "F*** YEAH!"'s.

We had none this summer.
It's no big deal. It happens. It doesn't bespeak some "horrible new decline". It just happens sometimes.

Besides.....NEXT summer......FANTASTIC FOUR 2!!!!!!!

lol

Wilhelm-Scream said:
All of my friends agree, this summer was one of the worst for movies in recent memory.
It's not because we're "haturz", or because "we're negative people who don't like ANYthing".

It's just a fact, when I lived in Utah, every single summer was exciting. I moved to Seattle in 2001 and every single summer since then we'd all go to the movies and have at least one or two big "F*** YEAH!"'s.

We had none this summer.
It's no big deal. It happens. It doesn't bespeak some "horrible new decline". It just happens sometimes.

Besides.....NEXT summer......FANTASTIC FOUR 2!!!!!!!

lol
Is Seattle really clean?

It was supposed to be the summer of Superman, but not everybody joined in.

xwolverine2 said:
i liked this summers movies.....
See, that's how you can tell that I'm not just an "internet-b****er".
Instead of saying "Well you must be a ****** then!:rolleyes:", I honestly envy you.
I like good movies, where I can't wait to buy them on dvd and if a friend's out of town, I talk to them on the phone and tell them to wait to see it until they get home so we can see it together.

I didn't get any of those this summer. :down

My uncle lives in Seattle.
Great view of Mt. Rainer, but if that b**** ever erupts, that's it for that city. :(

Kevin Roegele said:
It was supposed to be the summer of Superman, but not everybody joined in.

To tell you the truth, I, myself, wasn't having geekasms waiting for Superman, myself. It should've done better, though.

this summer had some great movies... did they all make as much as they should have? nope. because there were so many damn big movies out in such a short period, and not everyoen can go to 2 movies a week for 3 months straight.

but i saw most of the movies out this summer, and although some didn't live up to their hype at all *cough*snakesonaplane*cough*, *sneeze*davincicode*sneeze* most of them were decent. nothing earth shattering, but good movies none the less.

Wilhelm-Scream said:
See, that's how you can tell that I'm not just an "internet-b****er".
Instead of saying "Well you must be a ****** then!:rolleyes:", I honestly envy you.
I like good movies, where I can't wait to buy them on dvd and if a friend's out of town, I talk to them on the phone and tell them to wait to see it until they get home so we can see it together.

I didn't get any of those this summer. :down
i didnt say i liked them all......

miami vice is one of the worst movies ive ever seen....
superman was.................................................................
x3 was awesome
mi3 was good

You have to credit Snakes on a Plane though, because it's an original movie and not an existing property, i.e. a sequel, a prequel, a remake, or based on a comic, book, TV show or theme park ride.

I thought Pirates was great, but even that was slightly dissapointing to me. Nothing else I saw was any higher than "good" or "ok."

Kevin Roegele said:
You have to credit Snakes on a Plane though, because it's an original movie and not an existing property, i.e. a sequel, a prequel, a remake, or based on a comic, book, TV show or theme park ride.

Good point.

the summer of disappointments yes, but just as summer 2005 was :-/

(i think summer 2007 will be the best, with the movie of the century : THE SIMPSONS !)

Was Brokeback Mountain a summer movie?
I was definately disapointed in it.

Davinci Code was a horrible adaptation.
It just didnt capture the mood of the book at all.

The problem is hollywood underestimating its audience.

xwolverine2 said:
i liked this summers movies.....

Ditto, don't understand all the whining, all the movies I saw this year at the theaters I enjoyed, if not thouroughly, which included:

Over the Hedge - fantastic
X3 - good
Cars - superb
Superman Returns - good, great at times
A Prarie Home Campanion - great
POTC: Dead Man's Chest - great
Monster House - fantastic
Talledega Nights - great

Here is a legend for my rankings(highest is best)!

superb
fantastic
great
good

For me that's a sweet summer, 8 movies and none of them suck, or maybe I am just good a picking movies to go see . . hrmmmmm, yeah

Yes lots of whining.

Well I had a lot of fun at Pirates, perfect summertime movie imo. I saw some amazing visuals I'm glad I got to see in my lifetime.

I haven't seen Snakes on a plane yet.

X3 was crap, I didn't like it at all.

Superman was pretty dull and I didn't like it mostly except for that cool Piano throwing kid.

That's all I saw.

If you ask me it's been the same as any other summer, we've had the one all conquering movie and the rest have recieved alot of varied responses. I loved MI3 and Miami Vice, I thought Pirates was a good summer movie and as much flak as I give it I did really enjoy Superman up until he put the plane in the baseball field. I can't really remember a summer where it's been any different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"