The summer of disappointments...

Batattack said:
Is Seattle really clean?

now that i think about it...i lived in Newcastle, currently living in Pullman @ WSu, and my sister lives in Seattle...yeah, Seattle is a pretty clean city for how big and populated it is, now that i think about it...

oh...and i'd have to say MI3 was probably the best "blockbuster" of the summer as far as plot and film quality, the other "blockbusters" of the summer all could have been much better unfortunately, but i still enjoy most of them.

Octoberist said:
My Super Ex-Girlfriend was torture. The writing was...I thought it was blah.

BB sucking? You're of the few who didn't like it (thank the lord). However, there's a legion of peeps who didn't like SR. Me included (not as extreme as others thoguh):batty::batty:
That was Kane9321 actually. I have the exact opposite opinion as he does.

Pirates 2 was easily the most entertaining of the summer blockbusters. It's primary mistake was that it ran too long, overplayed a few of its gags and tried too hard to be like the Empire Strikes Back on the high seas.

X-Men 3 was alright but I think the novelty of the X-Men is wearing off.

Superman Returns was just plain dull. Routh & Bosworth were way too young for their roles.

GREAT

Superman Returns
Monster House
Clerks II
Snakes on the Plane (for the experience)

GOOD/ENTERTAINING

Talledega Nights
Cars
Lady in the Water
Poseiden

ALRIGHT

Ant Bully

BAD

POTC2

HORRIBLE

My Super-Ex

Dr. Fate said:
Pirates 2 was easily the most entertaining of the summer blockbusters. It's primary mistake was that it ran too long, overplayed a few of its gags and tried too hard to be like the Empire Strikes Back on the high seas.

X-Men 3 was alright but I think the novelty of the X-Men is wearing off.

Superman Returns was just plain dull. Routh & Bosworth were way too young for their roles.

Just thinking Godfather 2 obviously came out before Empire and that was a darker sequel. But I guess as a darker movie with a cliff hanger, I guess ESB is the archetype.

ultimatefan said:
Of course there were a few big hits, but the truth is, this summer didn´t have a single movie that´s like a Spider-Man 2 or a Finding Nemo or an X2, that is, the movie that was not only a big time hit, but it was also loved, not just liked, LOVED by critics and moviegoing audience in general. Hits like POTC2, X3, Cars, Talladega Nights, Click and Da Vinci Code have a number of detractors. Lotsa highly hyped movies ended up being deemed disappointing, like MI:III, SR, SOAP, even though they´ll make a profit. And then there were flat out bombs like Poseidon and Miami Vice. What happened? Pixar has become self-indulgent after years of excellence? People are sick of Tom Cruise? Will POTC2 become another TPM? Was it just a glitch of blockbusters not living up to expectations or is there a bigger problem in advance? People are getting tired of the big summer movies?

MI3 and SR were actually good. People didn't go because of Tom Cruise's personal life, which is actually a shame considering that an actors belief affects how his movie will do, ala Mel Gibson. :D

SR was great, but it didn't have a huge fight and Lois Lane had a kid. That is mainly the reason why most didn't like it. It was an overall great film, but most fail to see that due to the fact they can't get over the kid, and little things like that. POTC2 was a great and funny movie. I saw nothing really wrong it, it reminded me of the first one exactly. X3 was pure garbage, and that was my only real disappointment.

Fenrir said:
killmenowplease.jpg

^^^ What should happen to all the so-called film critics that blasted any of Mr.Lucas' prequels. And I reiterate, ROTS is a top 10 all-time film.

49erVenom said:
^^^ What should happen to all the so-called film critics that blasted any of Mr.Lucas' prequels. And I reiterate, ROTS is a top 10 all-time film.

Actually rottentomatoes scored Sith with a 82% which is more X3 (57%), SR (76%), MI3 (71%), or Pirates (54%).

It wasn't the best summer for movies...ever....but I did enjoy a lot of them...MI3, X3, SR, POTC2 (one of my now, favorites of all time...right up there with Indy for me)...the comedies were pretty good, Taladega, Nacho Libre, Clerks 2...I don't know...I have to say I really really disagree here. Again not the greatest summer, or the most memorable...but I went to a lot more this year than I did last year.

49erVenom said:

Horrible acting, ****ty dialogue and so much hollow CGI crammed in, it makes me sick. Anyone who calls ROTS "a top 10 all-time film" has no taste in film whatsoever and should be banned forever from commenting on films. Of course, it's excusable if you're less than 15 years old so...

Erzengel said:
Actually rottentomatoes scored Sith with a 82% which is more X3 (57%), SR (76%), MI3 (71%), or Pirates (54%).

Wow i didn't realise that,i enjoyed it but that's a pretty hefty score

Like it or not, 'Sith is the #8 movie of all time in the US, so apparently much of America's audience has "no taste in film whatsoever and should be banned forever from commenting on films", if we're to believe Fenrir.

http://the-numbers.com/movies/records/

Timstuff said:
Like it or not, 'Sith is the #8 movie of all time in the US, so apparently much of America's audience has "no taste in film whatsoever and should be banned forever from commenting on films", if we're to believe Fenrir.

so Titanic is the best movie ever?

Which is one of the eternal questions, what makes a movie great?

Is it a movie like Titanic because it grossed so much?

Or is it a movie like Godfather, acclaimed by critics and fans a like?

Is it a movie that garners Oscar nominations or wins?

Just because critics love a movie doesn't mean droves of movie goers will go and see it.

Even a movie like You Got Served was #1 at the box office. Many of us have gone to a movie where some horrible movie is preview and you groan to yourself but you notice some people next to you laugh and say wow I wanna see that. Sometimes it doesn't take too much to entertain a bunch of people.

In the end, there will be no real answer to rate a movie's success.

hunter rider said:
Wow i didn't realise that,i enjoyed it but that's a pretty hefty score

I'm not trying to turn this into a pissing match. Obviously some like Sith, some didn't. Just a lil reminder to people who think their opinion reflects that of a majority or demographic.

Timstuff said:

Just because a ****load of people saw Sith doesn't mean a ****load of people loved it like it was "one of the greatest films ever made in any genre" (give me a freakin' break :rolleyes: ). And it goes without saying that those ****load of people that did see it did so primarily because it was the concluding chapter of arguagbly the most celebrated saga in the history of cinema.

How are we to guage whether someone saw and loved a movie? There's no really definitive way. :confused:

Erzengel said:
How are we to guage whether someone saw and loved a movie? There's no really definitive way. :confused:

I think when a movie makes the kind of money ROTS has it's an indicator that enough ppl enjoyed it to go and see it more than once

Great/Entertaining/Worth repeated viewings:

Crank
Nacho Libre
Talladega Nights

Disappointing/Barely made it through 1 sitting:

Superman Returns

Just to remind you people this thread IS NOT ABOUT REVENGE OF THE SITH... In fact, there´s a thread specifically on that movie on these boards that is still probably in the first couple pages... Ths thread is about this summer season...

hunter rider said:
I think when a movie makes the kind of money ROTS has it's an indicator that enough ppl enjoyed it to go and see it more than once

Yes but did they love it? :D LOL

ultimatefan said:
Of course there were a few big hits, but the truth is, this summer didn´t have a single movie that´s like a Spider-Man 2 or a Finding Nemo or an X2, that is, the movie that was not only a big time hit, but it was also loved, not just liked, LOVED by critics and moviegoing audience in general. Hits like POTC2, X3, Cars, Talladega Nights, Click and Da Vinci Code have a number of detractors. Lotsa highly hyped movies ended up being deemed disappointing, like MI:III, SR, SOAP, even though they´ll make a profit. And then there were flat out bombs like Poseidon and Miami Vice. What happened? Pixar has become self-indulgent after years of excellence? People are sick of Tom Cruise? Will POTC2 become another TPM? Was it just a glitch of blockbusters not living up to expectations or is there a bigger problem in advance? People are getting tired of the big summer movies?

What are you talking about? Cars did great business and got fairly good reviews. It made over $240 million, not that far off from the business most Pixar films do other than Finding Nemo. Just check the number.

Pirates 2 is clearly no Phantom Menace.

TheVileOne said:
What are you talking about? Cars did great business and got fairly good reviews. It made over $240 million, not that far off from the business most Pixar films do other than Finding Nemo. Just check the number.

Pirates 2 is clearly no Phantom Menace.
It wasn´t quite as praised as Toy Story or Finding Nemo or The Incredibles.

Octoberist said:
My Super Ex-Girlfriend was torture. The writing was...I thought it was blah.

BB sucking? You're of the few who didn't like it (thank the lord). However, there's a legion of peeps who didn't like SR. Me included (not as extreme as others thoguh):batty::batty:

No,sitting through "batman begins" was torture..
leaving "superman returns" had me wanting to shove a hot coal up my ass:)

49erVenom said:

The only "bad thing" about the prequels were:

jar jar binks
cheesseeey diallog between anakin and padme

other the than those issues the prequels were perfect to me

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95