Comics The SUPERIOR Spider-Man

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something like that makes me think of [BLACKOUT]Miguel [/BLACKOUT]again.

I still wonder if somehow this is all misdirection and he really is [BLACKOUT]Miguel[/BLACKOUT].

I seriously doubt it. I think Slott was just trolling people when he pretended to leak that.

Wouldn't that be something though? What if all this was just a big misdirection?

Well, the "dark page" of Dan Slott on Twitter says it all.
I imagine what this guy is going through these days :\

"Death threats and threats of violence are being reported. Insults and vulgarity are being blocked. Not criticism. Please be civil. Thank you."
https://twitter.com/DanSlott

it's like...you do this to Peter? we do this to you xD

EDIT: Here's what Slott says to everyone having issues with Peter not being SM: "For everyone asking this kind of question: I'm asking for a little faith, to trust my Spidey track record, & give me 1 issue."
Mhmm...i'll read only issue 1...the i'll decide. If someday they'll bring back Peter i don't want to have to get all the prevoius numbers again. That's what i hate when there's a new status quo -.-

Last edited:
Yeah, I wouldn't chuck in the crazies who threaten and harass people on the internet with your every day fan who may be a bit disgruntled about something. Slott, like anyone else receiving that kind of abuse, has my sympathy as far as that goes. No one should have to put up with that rubbish.

As for giving him a chance, I still have Superior on my standing order. I'm gonna see what the fuss is all about before I make a final judgement.

Yeah i think that's the more democratical way of taking a consideration on a comic.
I still think that Slott's run on ASM is one of the best outta here...aaaand if he's saying "gimme just one issue", i'll give him this...as i did it with Bendis and it worked, even if i miss Peter in the UU.
So if the Superior saga will be likeable or useful to understand a future Peter returning, i'll follow it with pleasure.
If not, the whole 700th thing -> Superior will be something Spider Man predicted looong time ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8l3Bo1MK9_Q ROFL

Yeah, I wouldn't chuck in the crazies who threaten and harass people on the internet with your every day fan who may be a bit disgruntled about something. Slott, like anyone else receiving that kind of abuse, has my sympathy as far as that goes. No one should have to put up with that rubbish.

As for giving him a chance, I still have Superior on my standing order. I'm gonna see what the fuss is all about before I make a final judgement.

Best use of the word "rubbish" I have heard all day.

Haven't been on this thread for awhile but since the issue is finally out, I think now is the appropriate time to comment here again.

Remember when I said that this was going to be really bad and all of you guys told me that I should just wait and see? Well, I waited and you know what? I admit that I was completely wrong. You guys were right. This is not as bad as I thought it was going to be.

This is actually worse. Seriously? This is the thing that will split the internet in half? So ending one of the most iconic and best selling comics of all time with the protagonist dead and with the bad guy winning is considered a great ending in the eyes of Slott. We also know that Spider-Man will hook up with MJ again. I find that really insulting. MJ for some reason didn't want to be with Peter because he was Spider-Man (which makes no sense anyways since she already learned to deal with that fact years ago so they technically set her back in development) but now she no longer gives a crap that he is Spider-Man because he is now "cool" and "edgy" and "dark".

Really not impressed by this. This only pushed the ***** that Marvel shoved up Spider-Man's anus back in 2007 even further and from the looks of it, Marvel continues to push that ***** further and further in Spider-Man's anus and it may take awhile until someone comes along to pull it out AKA get rid of all the BS in the Spider-Man comics.

Just read and reread #700, loved it to bits. Slott has my thanks

...sigh...I haven't posted in here for litteraly a year (the life of a medical student is pretty ******, the life of an intern is even worse lol) but...damn this is stupid.

First of, I'm not one of those fanboys that get pissed at every changes that are done to comics. After all they are comics, it's just entertainment, there are far worse things in life that messing with a comic book, and well it's comic books, so something can be easily undone (I said easily, not cleverly :) )

WE KNOW this is not permanent, for lots of reasons. First of all, there's no way Marvel will mess that much with their flagship character in a very long term way, especially that as of AMazing spider man 700, there's no Peter Parker roaming as Spider-Man now.
Second, Marvel now tends to align their comics with the movies (Cap coming back before his movie, a new Whiplash before Iron Man 2, etc...) you know to not alienate the potential new readership, so by the time ASM 2 comes out, this will be undone. Period.

What pisses me off, is by insisting that this is the new status quo and is a change that will stick, Marvel is insulting our intelligence. If you wanted a permanent different character for Spider-Man, and with a dark edge to it, why not just kill off Peter in a showdown with Dr Octopuss, and have Kaine take his place, that guy has been around for some time now with a spider suit and thrives for redemption. Point is, insisting that making this change was just to write a Dark Spider Man is pointless, there was already someone roaming around who would have filled those shoes much better than Doc Ock having an epiphany because he relived all of Peter's memories (seriously, it felt forced).

I'm not criticising what they did, but how they did it,the way they are presenting it, and the way they think we're all stupid. Having Doc Ock as Spidey might have a lot of potential for interesting storylines, but they should have had an epilogue or a final page in issue 700 revealing something like Peter's mind still stored inside an octobot (by the way, this is my two cents on how they'll bring him back, with the help of Carlie, since Peter Ock made an inception on her and planted the seed that the actual Spider-Man is Doc Ock), at least it would have showed that Marvel would be saying to us "ok guys, Peter is still out there, and he'll eventually come back", no stupid hypocrisy, I think I would have enjoyed "The superior spider man" for what it is, a mere big storyline. But because I'm kinda pissed that Marvel thinks, as a reader and comic book enthusiast, I'm also a stupid motherf***er (that's the second time Marvel...first time being when they introduced the 616 black Nick Fury with a convoluted storyline and insisting this was all planned, that he is a character on his own and has nothing to do with the ultimate nick fury), I'll just pass on Spider-Ock and wait until Peter Parker comes back.

...sigh...I haven't posted in here for litteraly a year (the life of a medical student is pretty ******, the life of an intern is even worse lol) but...damn this is stupid.

First of, I'm not one of those fanboys that get pissed at every changes that are done to comics. After all they are comics, it's just entertainment, there are far worse things in life that messing with a comic book, and well it's comic books, so something can be easily undone (I said easily, not cleverly :) )

WE KNOW this is not permanent, for lots of reasons. First of all, there's no way Marvel will mess that much with their flagship character in a very long term way, especially that as of AMazing spider man 700, there's no Peter Parker roaming as Spider-Man now.
Second, Marvel now tends to align their comics with the movies (Cap coming back before his movie, a new Whiplash before Iron Man 2, etc...) you know to not alienate the potential new readership, so by the time ASM 2 comes out, this will be undone. Period.

What pisses me off, is by insisting that this is the new status quo and is a change that will stick, Marvel is insulting our intelligence. If you wanted a permanent different character for Spider-Man, and with a dark edge to it, why not just kill off Peter in a showdown with Dr Octopuss, and have Kaine take his place, that guy has been around for some time now with a spider suit and thrives for redemption. Point is, insisting that making this change was just to write a Dark Spider Man is pointless, there was already someone roaming around who would have filled those shoes much better than Doc Ock having an epiphany because he relived all of Peter's memories (seriously, it felt forced).

I'm not criticising what they did, but how they did it,the way they are presenting it, and the way they think we're all stupid. Having Doc Ock as Spidey might have a lot of potential for interesting storylines, but they should have had an epilogue or a final page in issue 700 revealing something like Peter's mind still stored inside an octobot (by the way, this is my two cents on how they'll bring him back, with the help of Carlie, since Peter Ock made an inception on her and planted the seed that the actual Spider-Man is Doc Ock), at least it would have showed that Marvel would be saying to us "ok guys, Peter is still out there, and he'll eventually come back", no stupid hypocrisy, I think I would have enjoyed "The superior spider man" for what it is, a mere big storyline. But because I'm kinda pissed that Marvel thinks, as a reader and comic book enthusiast, I'm also a stupid motherf***er (that's the second time Marvel...first time being when they introduced the 616 black Nick Fury with a convoluted storyline and insisting this was all planned, that he is a character on his own and has nothing to do with the ultimate nick fury), I'll just pass on Spider-Ock and wait until Peter Parker comes back.

They have not said it will be permanent permanent. Only that they do not plan on changing it. Just like Stephen Wacker has always said that the marriage will not come back but he cannot speak for the next editor.

Thought the issue was great, think the idea is great, excited to see where it goes.

Long live Spidey Slott.

I'm not interested in Spider-Octopus. I read Spider-Man b/c I like his personality/nature/character, the Peter Parker side of him being the biggest part of that. I want to have a lighter, good-natured, humorous hero in my comic line-up. I read both Marvel and DC and in both there are a ton of different dark and edgy characters already out there. I'm not really excited about another book featuring a darker character and am sad b/c there are already so few "lighter" characters out there. I feel like I lost one of my favorite characters and got back something much less exciting that I can already find in the rest of my reading list.

If Superior gets great reviews and Parker eventually comes back then maybe I'll check out the stories in the trade books but otherwise I'm saving that money that I used to spend every month.

Wacker was pretty stupid when he made the comment about the fans forgetting about Peter...

When are those guys gonna realize that that kind of s**t just rubs people the wrong way from the get-go?

It would be a little silly to consider for even a second that Marvel will leave it all this way for about a hundred billion different reasons.

Wacker was pretty stupid when he made the comment about the fans forgetting about Peter...

When are those guys gonna realize that that kind of s**t just rubs people the wrong way from the get-go?

Peter Parker is Spider-Man. You can give another person the powers, look & costume but it would still be a different character with a different history, personality, world-view. There is a nostalgic factor too. Many Spider-Man fans grew up reading Peter Parker....you can't take that away from the fans and expect them to embrace that, especially if you plan on replacing him with a dark character (something completely different and alien from Peter).

Peter Parker will likely return at some point as Spider-man, but I'm worried that we might be talking a number of years.

Also I'm not against having someone else become Spider-man (at some point), but I just don't think this is a great way to go about making that change. Slott might be in love with the idea of Ock-Spidey, but it just seems like too much to ask a reader (even a casual one) to buy that idea.

I've read Slott comparing Superior to Wally West taking over as the Flash. Admittedly it's used to illustrate how people have moved on from these sort of things, but it still doesn't take into account that Wally wasn't one of Barry Allen's villains, let alone a well known villain who has shown time and again his evil nature.

Wally West was a sidekick. That comparison would make sense if Alpha was Superior SM...but he's not.....so it's a stupid comparison.

And I realized that in 2013, all three Spider-"heroes" are "bad guy" based.

Scarlet Spider is Kaine.

Venom is, well, Venom (not to mention Pete's former bully Flash!)

And Spider-Man is Ock!

Peter Parker will likely return at some point as Spider-man, but I'm worried that we might be talking a number of years.

My guess is Ock for about a year. Peter's return starts to build about a month or two before the sequel movie releases in 2014. ;)

Yeah I gotta say, as not much of a spidey fan, I don't know how you guys put up with the crap Marvel throws your way....

primarily an x-fan here, and we've had our number of painful status quos, but man, even I feel emotional pain at every spidey announcement. Between BND and clones and gwen stacy boinking osborne, and now this, I've never seen a company relish so much in torturing it's flagship character and his fans.

What love I do have for Spidey is, like others have said, entirely based on Peter Parker. His goofiness, and boyish charm, and wit, those are what make him appealing, not his powers or his girlfriends. The relationship Peter has with every other superhero is remarkable and usually some of my favorite interactions.

I do agree with the people above who said this won't last too long
And I completely agree with Shogunrua that these "No it's totally permanently for realz!" moments are really insulting. The majority of your readers aren't children, and I don't think even a child would be fooled by that.

oh, and Ock suddenly being good because of the memories is pretty weak.
If you showed Hitler a Mel Brooks movie, he wouldn't suddenly start goin' to temple.

Last edited:
Yeah, it wasn't exactly a convincing read either. Not a bad issue overall, but the ending left a lot to be desired. Not just because of what it's trying to set up, but also for how it tried to get that message across.

My guess is Ock for about a year. Peter's return starts to build about a month or two before the sequel movie releases in 2014. ;)

Fingers crossed.

Just read the issue.

Words cannot describe how much of a "**** you!" this feels like. Words can't even describe. This is a bigger insult to the fans that One More Day was. Yes, I went there and no, I am not taking that back.

This is an insult in so many ways but it is an insult particularly to the fans, to the character of Peter/Spider-Man and his iconic image, to Doc Ock, and to MJ and Peter's relationship with MJ. Reading the comments here, I am noticing that there are some people that really like this. It really shocks me that I have to sit down and explain how much of an insult this is due to people not realizing it.

Let's start with the character of Peter Parker/Spider-Man. This is an insult to the character due to the way he is killed. This is the most pathetic death I have ever seen in Marvel comics, at least for a superhero. Captain America's death had more meaning than this. Peter dies in the most pathetic way possible while being trapped in his villain's body and begging his villain to not do anything bad while he is gone. I find that incredibly insulting to Spider-Man, seeing him die in such a pathetic way especially since he is Marvel's top character and is in the top 3 when it comes to most iconic superheroes to ever exist. His death in Ultimate, though still forced, still wasn't anywhere as pathetic as this and at least had some depth and meaning behind it. It's funny how the defense they used when they killed Spider-Man in Ultimate was "Why do you care? He is still alive in Amazing! Go read Amazing if you want to see Peter!" Well, now he is dead in BOTH universes. So what excuse does Marvel have now?

Next is Doc Ock. How the hell does Ock become a good guy at the end just because he saw all of Peter's memories? That makes no sense at all and it's completely out of character for him. Ock is one of the most arrogant Spider-Man villains around, in not then THE most arrogant Spider-Man villain. He is one of the least likely villains to become a good guy just because he saw Spider-Man's memories.

Next is MJ and Peter's relationship with MJ. They hit the bottom of the barrel here. So first they break them up in the most BS way and create the worst Spider-Man story to ever exist (well, at least until now). Then they establish that MJ doesn't want to be with Peter because she is Spider-Man even though she loves him - which makes no sense to begin with because she already learned to accept that years ago so they technically sent her back years in character development. But now all of the sudden, she is going to hook up with Peter and doesn't really give a crap he is Spider-Man. Why? Because he is all "edgy" and "dark" and "cool" now. They really took their relationship and MJ's character to an all-time-low. I honestly don't know how you can insult her character and her relationship with Peter now any more than this.

Then it's the fans. This is an insult to the fans and their intelligence because...well...see everything above. That pretty much sums it up. And now that I'm thinking about it even more while writing this, this is also an insult to Uncle Ben and to the message of WGPCGR. So Uncle Ben tells him that he has done enough and that he should let someone else be Spider-Man now. I don't buy he would ever say that but whatever. However, the person that supposedly takes his place is Ock? Really? And from what we know, he doesn't really seem to know that with great power comes great responsibility. Even though he is somehow strangely a superhero now, he still seems to have his arrogant personality by the end of the issue and we already know Spider-Man will be a lot darker starting with Superior Spider-Man #1 and may possibly even kill people from now on. That does not sound to me like someone who has learned the message of WGPCGR.

Overall, this is an incredible stupid idea and it is insulting in so many ways. Do you guys want to know why Slott even wrote this to begin with? He said in a recent interview that he always thought Doc Ock was just like him because they're both fat and small.

"Doc is kinda like me: He's short and schlubby. This is a guy who now gets to be in the body of Peter Parker. This opens up whole new things."

Read in between the lines and you can realize what he did. He killed off Peter Parker in the most pathetic way possible so that he could get the chance to indirectly write himself as Spider-Man. This is all a self-insertion fantasy for him.

Also, did editor Stephen Wacker admit that their strategy is to just outlast the fans until they're replaced by people who only know these characters as-is? I've been hearing people say that he said that in some interview. I've been trying to look for it but found nothing so far.

Wally West was a sidekick. That comparison would make sense if Alpha was Superior SM...but he's not.....so it's a stupid comparison.

To be fair, the only thing I'd hate more than Ock taking over as Spidey would be Alpha. To also be fair Wally is a good character, while Alpha was charmless, boring, obnoxious and a paper-thin construct of how Slott imagines today's teenagers.

*sigh*.... Slott really needs to move on from this book. He should do a creator-owned book that stars him as the hero, so he doesn't have to live vicariously through Doc Ock playing Spidey. He's overstayed his welcome on Spidey worse than Mackie did in the late 90's.

tumblr_mftba55UoZ1rnqj0zo1_500.jpg

I'm sure someone could turn this into a meme

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"