The Wrestling Thread Is The Wrestling Thread 365 Days A Year! - Part 249

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll chip in my two cents: in my heart, I've forgiven Warrior, and when I think of him, I think of the way he made me feel as a 10-year-old kid watching wrestling.

He said some bad things, and yes, words like that can hurt a lot of people, especially fellow members of the LGBT community. Words like that incite people to commit violence against the gay community, and can contribute to young gay people's despair and suicidal thoughts.

But around the time of his death, it was clear to me that he was really trying to atone for some of his past actions. Maybe he would have apologized for his homophobic remarks, maybe he would never have. Never really got the chance to prove it either way. But there's something very sudden yet poetic about the way he died, makes me want to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I don't know, being welcomed back into the WWE Family doesn't equate to atonement for his past misdeeds. There's a very good chance he still held the same horrid views when he died. We never got an indication to say otherwise.

Maybe when they give the Warrior Award to someone from the LGBT community my view will soften, as that would say to me that Dana considered and approved someone she felt was in line with the spirit of the Warrior.

Warrior made fun of cancer patients and the handicapped (crippled) and Sean Ross Sapp of Fightful thinks that because the Warrior Award wasn't what the Warrior intended it to be and it's been awarded to cancer patients and crippled, that it's one last rib from Vince to Warrior.

No. I can't defend the things Warrior said. At the same time, many of WWE's most respected talents and executives are guilty of things that are just as bad if not worse.

What about Triple H's remarks?

What about Stone Cold Steve Austin being a wife beater?

People tend to play all those things down. They condemn the Warrior, but then they will celebrate someone else.

As far as homophobic remarks, AJ Styles used those terms very liberally on the independent scene over 10 years ago. AJ Styles who is the current WWE world champion.

Ronda Rousey?

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/1/...eo-sandy-hook-shootings-government-conspiracy

What bothers me is how arbitrary this all is. Do we actually have a general standard or are we as consumers and the company itself just going to say this bad act can be ignored and this one can't How do we deal with these issues?

When Jay Briscoe said something homophobic he apologized publicly, apologized in writing, and donated two whole paychecks to LGBT charities. And this was back when ROH was much smaller and Briscoe was relying on the income and his chicken farm to put food on the table. And most importantly, he hasn't said anything similar in the five years since.

Wrestling is a messed up industry full of messed up people, but you still have to hold them accountable when they do something that falls below the standards of general human decency.

Jesus that's almost too much from Jay Briscoe. People are entitled to their **** views as long as they're consistent and are realistic about where that puts them in terms of being a pariah. He must have been terrified that his career was going to completely sink.

When Jay Briscoe said something homophobic he apologized publicly, apologized in writing, and donated two whole paychecks to LGBT charities. And this was back when ROH was much smaller and Briscoe was relying on the income and his chicken farm to put food on the table. And most importantly, he hasn't said anything similar in the five years since.

Wrestling is a messed up industry full of messed up people, but you still have to hold them accountable when they do something that falls below the standards of general human decency.

The problem lies in picking and choosing on these things based on who is well-liked or draws money. This is likely going to be a prevalent hypocrisy within business and society forever. Is it okay for someone to be so angry about the Moolah stuff and still pop for Steve Austin or Hogan or be a Jimmy Snuka fan? What's the appropriate actlon for the various HOF's? Is it right that I really don't like Warrior for his comments but I don't have distain for some others who might be worse based on other opinions?

Last edited:
The problem lies in picking and choosing on these things based on who is well-liked or draws money. This is likely going to be prevalent hypocrisy within business and society forever. Is it okay for someone to be so angry about the Moolah stuff and still pop for Steve Austin or Hogan or be a Jimmy Snuka fan? What's the appropriate actlon for the various HOF's?
I don't think ti is arbitray. Most fans at live events don't boo this stuff for whatever reason. Its a question of how the WWE wants to look to the rest of the world.

Austin beats women. But how many really know that? I barely remembered this, and I was a smark until the passing of Eddie and the death of Benoit.

Hogan is a racist. People know this thanks to how public it got with the lawsuit.

The Warrior was an all around bigot. How many actually know this?

Moolah is getting traction now. In the era of social media because the WWE made it a thing.

None of this would have happened if they had named everything for the Maivia Family.

:o

They have changed the name of the Women's Battle Royal to The WrestleMania Women's Battle Royal.

Apparently Snickers got on their case about it after the they got negative feedback about it as well.

Apparently Snickers got on their case about it after the they got negative feedback about it as well.

I have heard that's a profitable deal for WWE that they have with Snickers.

WWE is freaking weird, man. The Moolah thing makes zero sense when you use the Chyna-Google argument. Who would have even pitched it?

0-76184886839079ed4.jpg

0-85eaf7e4d2b0f2e3e.jpg

0-9b7cbef8359342d2c.jpg

0-10.jpg

0-11.jpg

0-12.jpg

0-13.jpg

0-14.jpg

0-15.jpg

Alundra Blaze Battle Royal would have a nice ring to it in future if they just leave it for this year as women's battle royal match.

It doesn't have to be a memorial match and can instead be a celebration. Blaze ticks a lot of boxes as a representative of the division including being a HoFer, a good speaker, accomplished and someone who has her stuff together.

Alundra Blaze Battle Royal would have a nice ring to it in future if they just leave it for this year as women's battle royal match.

It doesn't have to be a memorial match and can instead be a celebration. Blaze ticks a lot of boxes as a representative of the division including being a HoFer, a good speaker, accomplished and someone who has her stuff together.
It should be named the, "Alundra "Madusa" Blayze Throw The Title In the Trash Battle Royale".

They have changed the name of the Women's Battle Royal to The WrestleMania Women's Battle Royal.

Mars Inc. said:
We were recently made aware of the World Wrestling Entertainment Inc's (WWE) decision to honor a former wrestler during the upcoming WrestleMania 34 event. As a principle-based business that has long championed creating inclusive environments that encourage and empower everyone to reach their full potential, this is unacceptable. We are engaging with the WWE to express our disappointment.

It only took 10,000 signatures on Change.org and a phone call from Mars Inc. (the maker of Snickers) to do it. Big thanks to anybody who signed the petition.

Last edited:
It only took 10,000 signatures on Change.org and a phone call from Mars Inc. (the maker of Snickers) to do it. Big thanks to anybody who signed the petition.

It was more Snickers than the petition. I don't think there has been any petition from Change.org that has had any lasting effect.

It still sent a message and they got it as evidenced by disabling the YouTube comments on Moolah's video.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
monke77
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"