Batman Begins Things you notice the second time

I don't like the characterization of Falcone in this movie. The Falcone of the comics is a slick sophisticated crime lord sitting on top of a family of crime. He's elegant. He's got class. Think Vito Corleone style. Falcone in Begins is just a sleazy mobster. Wilkinson is a fine actor, but the character didn't do it for me.

Yeah, I did love the frozen lake scene. But overall the origin parts drag the pace for me. I like it better when Bruce gets back to Gotham.

I don't like the characterization of Falcone in this movie. The Falcone of the comics is a slick sophisticated crime lord sitting on top of a family of crime. He's elegant. He's got class. Think Vito Corleone style. Falcone in Begins is just a sleazy mobster. Wilkinson is a fine actor, but the character didn't do it for me.

Yeah, I did love the frozen lake scene. But overall the origin parts drag the pace for me. I like it better when Bruce gets back to Gotham.

True, but I think the portrayal of Falcone served the story very well. I don't think a classy Falcone would have had as much of an impact as the scummy low life portrayal did in BB.

Really? I love the origin, personally I think the scene where Bruce confronts Falcone in his own backyard is one of the most powerful scenes of both movies.
It's easily one of the best scenes in Begins at least. I always liked Wilkinson's Falcone, the Don Corleone version has it's benefits but it's kind of too much of a copy.

I love watching the origin, one of the best things in Begins right before he dons cape and cowl.

Holy silly literal fans, Batman!

I don't mean a carbon copy of the Don Corleone character. Jesus Christ! He's not even that in the comics. I mean a Falcone who has the same class and style as him. You know, respecting the comic book material that made Falcone a notable and popular character. Corleone is not nearly as evil and ruthless as Falcone.

Holy silly literal fans, Batman!

I don't mean a carbon copy of the Don Corleone character. Jesus Christ! He's not even that in the comics. I mean a Falcone who has the same class and style as him. You know, respecting the comic book material that made Falcone a notable and popular character. Corleone is not nearly as evil and ruthless as Falcone.
I don't know, in The Long Halloween he was pretty derivative of Corleone. He even kind of looked like Marlon Brando.

I don't know, in The Long Halloween he was pretty derivative of Corleone. He even kind of looked like Marlon Brando.

Yes, I grant you he did look like Brando. But character wise they're completely different. Brando's Corleone was a boy scout compared to Falcone.

I noticed the second time around that the actor that plays the old DA Finch "Rachael Dawes's boss", is Jimmy from Memento.

Speaking of Rachel Dawes, the more I watch both films, the more I realise that I actually prefer Katie Holmes in the role over Maggie Gyllenhaal. :o

Speaking of Rachel Dawes, the more I watch both films, the more I realise that I actually prefer Katie Holmes in the role over Maggie Gyllenhaal. :o

To me, Katie Holmes pulled off a very scared Rachel Dawes throughout Batman Begins while Maggie Gyllenhaal played a much more confident version of Rachel in The Dark Knight. I don't know if it was because Rachel knows that her closest friend is Batman, or wether Nolan just wanted her character to act more mature.

In the training monastery, Right after Ducard gives Bruce the blue flower potion and says "Breathe... breathe in your fear..." there's a very quick, subtle smirk on his face because he knows what sort of terrible thing he's getting Bruce involved in. He's almost giddy and trying to hide it.

I always found BB to be the better, more rewatchable movie mostly because of the origin scenes. You get such an intimate look at who he is and what shaped him, what he went through. His story is why I watch it, and Batman appearing comes second. Even though I also loved when he appeared and preferred how the Batman scenes were shot in that compared to (most of) TDK's.

To me, Katie Holmes pulled off a very scared Rachel Dawes throughout Batman Begins while Maggie Gyllenhaal played a much more confident version of Rachel in The Dark Knight. I don't know if it was because Rachel knows that her closest friend is Batman, or wether Nolan just wanted her character to act more mature.

Gotham was presented as a much scarier place in Begins. It seems like Batman showing up changed things quite a lot.

Apart from being reasonably spooked a couple times in the film, she seemed pretty confident overall to me. The way she reacted to those guys trying to mug her, for example. She even tazered Batman, despite being startled by him. :funny:

Last edited:
It bothers me that after Bruce refused to execute the murderer, he lights the entire building on fire, killing multiple assassins and most likely the guy he refused to kill in the first place. Meh, oh well.

On the train, the disappointment in Ra's voice when he says "You will never learn."

Or bthat the character was supposed to be corageous, as it is suggested many times, and Katie can't act for her life.

It bothers me that after Bruce refused to execute the murderer, he lights the entire building on fire, killing multiple assassins and most likely the guy he refused to kill in the first place. Meh, oh well.
We don't know that all of those people die. We only saw one get killed, the fake Ra's Al Ghul, and that wasn't Bruce's fault.

Fake Ra's was killed as a consequence of the fire Bruce started. He didn't kill him directly but is still responsible.

We don't know that all of those people die. We only saw one get killed, the fake Ra's Al Ghul, and that wasn't Bruce's fault.

That's funny. Because I remember a lot of the ninjas flying and being blowned up in the air because of the explosion. Some of the ninjas were not only hit by the explosions but by the debris as well. Those ninjas were definitely dead in my eyes. Nolan didn't bother putting a shot in showing some of them escaping out of there. It would've helped to clarify that the ninjas didn't die from the fire that Bruce made.

The point is the fire Bruce started caused a number of explosions. One of which that was so bad that it almost killed Bruce and Ras . It blew them out of the dojo or whatever it was and had them both sliding off the cliff for crying out loud. In a way that explosion saved them both b/c Bruce carrying a 6ft 4 Ras on his back when the place around them is burning and coming down on them definitely wouldn't have gotten them both far.They would've been dead too. That particular explosion look like it took out the whole floor or room. The ninjas that were injured and wounded by the debris and impact of the explosions didn't have enough time to escape assuming that they weren't dead yet. So Wayne is directly responsible for the fire and the death of "fake" Ras and most if not all of the ninjas in the dojo.

It's kinda' how in TDK Batman slammed the tumbler into the front end of one of the joker's goon's truck, smashing the cab all up into the ceiling. Whoever was driving surely died.
Or how he blindingly shoots missiles to clear a path for the Bat-Pod. Hope nobody was in those cars he demolished. And I hope nobody standing right outside The Tumbler as it exploded didn't die, either. :woot:

Or how he blindingly shoots missiles to clear a path for the Bat-Pod. Hope nobody was in those cars he demolished. And I hope nobody standing right outside The Tumbler as it exploded didn't die, either. :woot:
I think it's safe to assume that if we didn't see or if it was never mentioned that those people died they didn't. That's especially true when the tumbler exploded, seeing as how those bystanders were far enough away from it and the explosion wasn't that big. Batman does cause a lot of collateral damage, though.

I think it's safe to assume that if we didn't see or if it was never mentioned that those people died they didn't. That's especially true when the tumbler exploded, seeing as how those bystanders were far enough away from it and the explosion wasn't that big. Batman does cause a lot of collateral damage, though.

It's pressumable that they didn't die.

That's not denying thjat Batman showed zero care about those people's lives. Just like when he blowed the glass gates ofb that shopping mall and just entered there with the Batpod. He endangered innocent people's lives and they didn't die just ebcause the writers were very compassionate and unrealistic about it.

I think it's safe to assume that if we didn't see or if it was never mentioned that those people died they didn't. That's especially true when the tumbler exploded, seeing as how those bystanders were far enough away from it and the explosion wasn't that big.

QFT :up:

After Bruce's parents die, he steeps in it by the window and is unresponsive to Alfred. When Alfred says 'Very well then' and begins to leave, young Bruce responds with a tearful 'Alfred..', stopping him. Alfred then proceeds to encourage Bruce with a bit of wisdom.

A deliberate reflection of this happens in The Dark Knight when Rachel dies. :up: Love it..

I think it's safe to assume that if we didn't see or if it was never mentioned that those people died they didn't.

Especially since we see a bunch of the same ninjas in Gotham/Wayne Manor later on. :oldrazz: Clearly more than a handful of them survived.

Im realizing it more BB is better than TDK. I even find Bale's acting better than TDK. There's something lacking in him in TDK that I cant point out.

Yeah, that's nagged at me since the first viewing. It seems like there's less heart and soul in his face and his voice - but maybe the writing has something to do with it too. Or perhaps they were going for a different sort of air about the character - like he's worn down or something.

I generally agree. I sometimes wonder what Begins would be like with Maggie, and vice versa with Katie in TDK. They were sort of different characters, and considering that I think they both acted on the writing pretty much spot on (except I still cringe when Maggie's voice cracks).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"